HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 9:17 PM

I was under the impression work had already started with this project. They mention a grocery store....i hope it is of the large supermarket variety..

Laundry cleans way for project

http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/site...d=581839&rfi=6

BY JAMES HAGGERTY
STAFF WRITER
10/14/2006Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
Crews are scouring a vacated laundry complex downtown to make way for restaurants, shops and service businesses.

Advertisement

Developer Jerry Joyce is overhauling the former Hospital Central Services Cooperative Inc. property at 313-317 Linden St.

The work is in advance of plans next year to construct his $50 million St. Peter’s Square project — a commercial and residential development along Linden Street between Wyoming and Penn avenues that includes about 70 high-end condominiums and possibly 30 apartments

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 11:17 PM
Old Fart Forumer

What the heck happened to MetroJ? Haven't sen him on here since I met up with him in Scranton. I'm starting to worry.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 3:05 PM

^^^ I don't know either, EX.....hope he's fine...I assume he's just very busy. He's a fine forumer, thoughtful poster....and has a welcome sense of humor, as well as interesting perspective.....

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 3:10 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ I agree dony. We spent a fun few hours together touring downtown Scranton (and a quick auto tour of some other parts of the city. Very knowledgable and daring (just walks right into buildings). I had an eye opening time (thought I knew Scranton, I was wrong). Hope he returns.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeyes
I was under the impression work had already started with this project. They mention a grocery store....i hope it is of the large supermarket variety..
Laundry cleans way for project
http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/site...d=581839&rfi=6

This is interesting, Snake. Looks like quite a project for Scranton. one that promises to enliven DT further, and with style.

Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 8:41 PM

any way to check the history of a poster...ie whether they have been active lately, etc?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 9:42 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ If you click on their screen name, and then click view profile, you can see the last time they were active. MetroJ was last on here on 9/15. Seems like quite q while for him to be away.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 1:00 PM

Pepperjam and Solid cactus, Inc:
Two young Wilkes-Barre based high tech businesses thriving

Posted on Sun, Oct. 15, 2006
Solid tech firms area asset
Pepperjam, Solid Cactus blooming in Wilkes-Barre
By RON BARTIZEK
rbartizek@leader.net

WILKES-BARRE – They don’t have MBA degrees from Stanford. They didn’t study electrical engineering at MIT. But the entrepreneurs who are making this city a center of Internet commerce possess something that has proved to be even more valuable; years of ground level experience in an industry that is still taking baby steps.

Solid Cactus, Inc. is the premier builder of online retail Web sites hosted on the Yahoo! Small Business platform. The company that is headquartered in the Jewelcor building on East Market Street charges from $750 to several thousand dollars for its service.

Pepperjam occupies space in the Innovation Center @ Wilkes-Barre on South Main Street, an incubator created by the Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Business and Industry. It is a leader in affiliate and search marketing, techniques that match buyers and sellers on the Internet.

The founders of both companies say their early entry into the Web-based business world brought recognition that they’ve leveraged into highly successful, fast-growing businesses.

For the co-owners of Solid Cactus the journey started in 1994 after they had difficulty finding supplies for their pet ferrets. The founder of Pepperjam first wandered into e-commerce after he and his brother began selling jelly made using their late grandmother’s secret recipe.

Those modest beginnings gave Scott Sanfilippo and Joe Palko of Solid Cactus and Pepperjam’s Kristopher Jones a leg up on their competition. And a combination of savvy, drive and skillful management has put both companies at the top of their respective industry heaps.

“Everybody and his brother’s a Web site developer,” Sanfilippo said recently. But no one else who makes small business e-commerce sites has 62 employees that turn out 50 new stores a month and redesign 200. That capability gets them top billing in a list of 36 developers recommended by Yahoo! Merchant Solutions, which hosts one of every eight Internet stores.

Most other developers are small shops, often just one or two computer geeks working together – as Sanfilippo and Palko were a dozen years ago after they set up Neeps, Inc. Soon they were getting five or six calls each week from other hopeful entrepreneurs impressed with their success, and being invited to speak at business events and colleges.

“You’re not going to find another developer who has 12 years experience running an e-commerce store,” said Sanfilippo, 35, who takes care of public relations for the company.

Jones earned his e-commerce stripes by juggling the fledgling jelly business with college and a Washington D.C. internship. He recalls talking by cell phone with a buyer from the QVC television shopping channel while walking between meetings in the capital.

“For me it was very virtual,” Jones said, using a term once applied to an industry that mainstream pundits gave as much chance for success as a will o’ the wisp.

“I was able to by accident build a reputation as one of the first people to succeed in affiliate marketing,” he said with sincere but misapplied modesty. Now Pepperjam establishes links between online businesses that give and receive a cut of sales that come from referrals.

Self-funded growth

While the companies’ growth has been rapid by customary standards, both have been constrained by outside influences and competing priorities – like paying the bills and getting an education.

Jones, 30, was still in college when he started Pepperjam, so his commitment was limited by a shortage of both time and money. But as he juggled a busy schedule, he learned more about doing business on the Internet, and became convinced that a methodical approach can pay dividends in the long run.

“If you’re growing too fast and you don’t have staff” to maintain quality, “slow down,” he advises.

And without physical storefronts to use as collateral, both companies could not tap traditional lenders. Sanfilippo said he and Palko have approached every bank in the region. “Not one bank has been willing to give us a shot.”

Fortunately, their swelling sales provided enough profit to support expansion, Sanfilippo said. “We’ve always been busy enough to sustain our growth.”

An epiphany of sorts occurred in 1998, when their Web site needed an upgrade. They sought bids and most of them were for thousands of dollars. “We got this one bid for $500,” Sanfilippo said, which came from a couple of guys in the former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan. The partners were wary of the low price and opted for an established – and expensive – developer.

But an intrigued Palko kept in touch with the Kyrgyzstan group, who convinced him that given the chance they could make good money developing Web sites in the United States, if only they could get here. So Sanfilippo and Palko brought them over in 2001 and set up shop in the basement of the magistrate’s office in Wilkes-Barre Township.

Sure enough, they began to attract customers. The big break was becoming an authorized Yahoo! small business e-commerce store developer. One of the émigrés, Andrey Smagin, now is creative director of Solid Cactus.

The company name, Sanfilippo said, has no particular meaning. “We wanted something that would look good on a logo.”

An early adopter

During his first semester at Villanova, Pepperjam’s Jones knew he wanted to do something that would have more widespread impact than the clinical psychology he had planned to practice. But he stuck with his major before heading to the Albany Law School.

In late 1999 he got a call from his brother Richard, who suggested they sell pepper jam made using the late Grandma Jones’s recipe. At the time Kris Jones had become fascinated with the Internet and saw the opportunities in online sales.

“I really self-educated on available areas of growth,” he said.

In 2000 he contracted with igourmet, a specialty foods retailer that was selling the jam online, as online marketing director while pursuing a master’s degree and law school. He quickly spotted the “emerging need” for new ways to match buyers and sellers on the Internet and launched igourmet’s affiliate marketing program later that year.

In affiliate marketing, which Jones calls “partnership marketing,” complementary online stores carry links to one another. When someone buys an item after finding it through an affiliated site, the seller pays a commission to the referring site owner.

Now Jones characterizes Pepperjam as a “full-service Internet marketing agency” whose clients range from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania to the fashion retailer Donna Karan New York.

Starting slowly

The early years meant long days and nights wrapped around what were then these entrepreneurs’ primary concerns. Jones was was president of his law school class as Pepperjam began to blossom. “I remember waking up early in the morning, staying up until 2 or 3 a.m. every night and looking at weekends as the perfect time to grow the business,” he said.

Sanfilippo and Palko both worked full-time jobs for several years after launching Neeps, then spent their evenings fulfilling orders. As a result, Sanfilippo has crossed one fast-food restaurant off his list. “Taco Bell every night for dinner for years. Can’t even stand the stuff now,” he said.

Their employees don’t face the same rigorous schedule, but a big project can keep them at work until it’s finished. Hewing to accepted Generation X tradition, that means plenty of free food and other perks, along with relaxed office dress standards.

Now that their business has matured, “Joe and I could take off three weeks and not worry about anything,” Sanfilippo said. He credits that luxury to a capable set of managers and a culture in which employees take responsibility for their own performance.

Big things ahead

Not that business is slowing down. Solid Cactus now employs 62 people and the partners’ e-commerce stores another dozen. “We’re projected to add 40 jobs a year,” Sanfilippo said, as Solid Cactus increases its offerings to e-retailers, such as a customer service center that started up in June. The center takes calls for store owners who are where Sanfilippo and Palko were in 1994, working regular jobs to pay the bills while building their online business.

The latest addition is intellectual property protection offered by Jonathan Tenenbaum, who has been hired as general counsel. Tenenbaum previously handled the company’s own legal matters while working for a firm in New Jersey.

Sanfilippo hinted at a looming announcement that could catapult the business to a new level of sales and employment, but wouldn’t provide details.

At Pepperjam, the present 4,000 square foot office is about to be doubled as Jones completes a hiring binge that has pushed employment past 40. When it first moved into a small office just over two years ago Pepperjam had two employees; Kris and his brother, Mike.

Bigger things may be coming. Jones was recently in New York talking with potential investors. “They see online growth as in its infancy,” and Pepperjam positioned to take advantage of skyrocketing growth. They also want to see more management oversight, particularly in financial matters, so Jones is on the lookout for senior managers and a chief financial officer.

An injection of cash may allow Pepperjam to buy smaller companies that could enhance the services it already offers, Jones said.

Like Solid Cactus, Pepperjam has never been just a bunch of computer nerds scarfing down pizza at their keyboards. As they’ve grown the companies have seized opportunities and developed management structures to assure they can compete with anyone.

Now they’re competing with one another; Solid Cactus recently got into the marketing arena that Pepperjam pioneered. But that doesn’t mean they’re fighting over a shrinking pie.

“There has never been a greater opportunity to become a successful entrepreneur than right now,” Jones said.

THE FAQS
ON THE WEB
ON THE WEB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLID CACTUS, INC.

Who: Founded in 2002 by Scott Sanfilippo and Joe Palko

What: Developer of Yahoo! Store sites

Where: Jewelcor Center, E. Market St., Wilkes-Barre

Revenues: Project $4.5 million this year

Employees: 62, expect to add 40 per year

First online venture was Neeps, Inc., a retailer of pet supplies, in 1994. That business still exists, employing 12 with annual sales of $5 million.

PEPPERJAM

Who: Founded in 2000 by Kristopher Jones

What: Full-service online marketing agency

Where: Innovation Center @ Wilkes-Barre, S. Main St.

Revenues: $3.4 million

Employees: 40-45, expect to double each year

Jones started as a “virtual” online marketing director for igourmet, which was located in New York state at the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to www.timesleader.com for links to all the companies mentioned in these articles.

www.solidcactus.com

www.pepperjamsearch.com

www.babyage.com

www.igourmet.com

www.neeps-inc.com

www.vintagetub.com

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com

Ron Bartizek, Times Leader business editor, may be reached at 970-7157.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 1:17 PM
Old Fart Forumer

This stuff is just amazing to me. Looks like someone with a good idea, and willing to work hard, has the opportunity to develop a successful business. I guess it's always been that way, but the internet has opened so many new doors. Glad to see some locals doin well in W-B. Thanks dony.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 2:00 PM

^^^^NP...I am also impressed. We should all take a page from their book...jeez those two guys started with Granny's jam fer cryin out loud.......sweet! (no pun intended.....no bad pun I should add.........ugh.)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 9:13 PM

Big turning point for DT: Barnes & Noble servin' up books and Starbucks......
--------------------------
Posted on Tue, Oct. 17, 2006

Barnes & Noble in Wilkes-Barre opens

WILKES-BARRE – The Barnes & Noble bookstore, including Starbucks and the café, is open for business, said Stephanie Bombay Tuesday morning.

Bombay, spokesperson for the Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Business and Industry, said the bookstore opened at 8:30 a.m.

Barnes & Noble is located in the Innovation Center @ Wilkes-Barre and includes a Joint Collegiate Bookstore, LLC, for King’s College and Wilkes University.

Bombay said the bookstore for the colleges located in the basement remains closed while the general bookstore on the first floor is open to the public.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 4:53 AM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06291/730750-237.stm

Scranton meets 'The Office'
Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Jason Farmer
A Dunder Mifflin sign hangs outside City Hall in Scranton. Dunder Mifflin is the name of the fictional paper company whose employees are the subject of NBC's hit show "The Office," which airs at 8:30 p.m. on Thursdays.

By Cristina Rouvalis
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
SCRANTON, Pa. -- The hit TV show "The Office" skewers corporate life -- and has fun with this hard-scrabble city, the fictional home of the Dunder Mifflin paper company.

The Scranton regional office of the imaginary paper company is a bland land of paperwork, relentless mediocrity and fluorescent-lit absurdity. The office drones are far from the beautiful people who populated "Friends." Michael Scott is the clueless groan-inducing boss, who calls New York City "Scranton on acid."

Instead of getting its collective back up, Scranton is embracing the Emmy-winning NBC show, laughing along with it. Mayor Chris Doherty has a Dunder Mifflin banner flying outside of City Hall, and Farley's restaurant is concocting a Michael Scott burger, slathered in cheese.

After all, residents of the former coal town two hours west of New York City have heard much worse. When George Burns was asked if he was afraid to die, Burns replied, "No, I already died in Scranton."

Ouch.

"The Scrantons, the Pittsburghs, the Clevelands -- it is nice to get notice, but when we do, it is usually the butt of jokes," said Austin J. Burke, president of the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce.

"There are great people in Scranton," Mr. Burke said. "We don't take ourselves too seriously."

NBC Photo, Mitchell Haaseth
From left, John Krasinski as Jim Halpert, Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute, Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly, B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard and Steve Carell as Michael Scott star in "The Office." -

Like the show's creator, Scranton leaders say the comedy doesn't mock this city of 80,000. Instead they say it jabs dysfunctional office life in Anywhere, America.

"If you walk into an office anywhere, you are going to be able to identify the people on the show: the older ones, the younger ones, the loser," said Mari Potis, the chamber membership director who sends authentic Scranton props that land on the Los Angeles set.

But 21-year-old Teresa LaBelle thinks the show pokes fun at Scranton, which has been declared a distressed city by the state.

In one episode, Michael (played by Steve Carell) makes a homemade video that begins with him saying cloyingly, "Life moves a little slower in Scranton, Pa., and that's the way we like it" before the camera scans on glazed workers. In another episode, he peers out the window and says with forced gusto, "Another beautiful day in Scranton, Pa."

"Of course, it is making fun of Scranton. But come on -- I make fun of Scranton all the time," said Ms. LaBelle, a student at the University of Scranton. "And I love Scranton. It is fun to see it on a larger scale. It is all in good fun."

Jason Farmer
Brenda Stanco and her step-father John Xanthis, owners of Niko-Bella restaurant in Scranton, hung a banner outside their restaurant, after one episode had the character of Michael getting a sandwich delivered from the restaurant.

"It's not us. It's a caricature of us," says her friend, Denzel Morgan.

The two are baristas at The Coffee House at Outrageous, a very Un-Office-like establishment that sells jewelry and joe, with whimsical murals on the walls. You wouldn't catch Michael Scott at a hip place like this. His favorite haunts are Chili's and Hooters, where he makes double entendres to the waitress.

When he visits New York City, he brags that he knows authentic New York pizza -- and then struts into Sbarro.

Greg Daniels, executive producer of the show, says those jokes reflect the character of Michael, not Scranton. Mr. Daniels wanted Dunder Mifflin's regional office set in a real place. "Good fiction has specifics," said Mr. Daniels, considered the creative force behind the Americanized version of the British show.

Scranton was picked because it was two hours from New York, ideal for a regional office of a Manhattan company. He also remembers a child's Valentine card that said, "Made in Scranton."

Paper Magic Group, which makes greeting cards, Valentines and other seasonal products, is often confused for Dunder Mifflin. The office building is shown briefly in the show's opening credits, along with a Mulberry Street sign.

And actor John Krasinksi, who plays Jim, visited Paper Magic when he was scouting possible locations and filmed the opening montage of the city from his car. He is the only cast member actually sighted in Scranton.

But the cast plans to come to Scranton to film an episode about the huge St. Patrick's Day parade. And the mayor wants to fly the cast in through corporate sponsors for "The Office" day, a big lovefest of the show.

"Any other city in the county would be happy to be part of an Emmy-award winning show," Mayor Doherty said. "We feel very lucky that they would use Scranton as their mythical home base."

Sometimes people wander into Paper Magic, wanting to take photos of the set of "The Office." Robert F. Cohen, director of human resources, tells them sorry.

"It is not 'The Office,' " Mr. Cohen tells them. "It is an office. And you cannot take photos because it is a business."

Mr. Cohen loves the show, and Michael's so-bad-it-is-hilarious behavior. Scranton's name recognition from "The Office" has helped him recruit graphic artists to the region.

The buzzed-about comedy has also brought Scranton some reverse chic. Mr. Burke of the Chamber of Commerce said his nephew, a comedy writer in Los Angeles, was always teased about being from Scranton. But once "The Office" became a hit, his friends were asking him for Scranton mugs.

So the chamber sends their mugs to West Coast hipsters. Among the Scranton props that Ms. Potis has sent to the show are a blue Chamber plaque, a Froggy 101 bumper sticker plastered on a filing cabinet, and the coats and hats from Niko-Bella restaurant.

An actor wearing the restaurant's blue uniform delivers a bologna, tomato and ketchup hoagie for Michael's birthday. Even though that sandwich is -- thankfully -- not on the menu, the restaurant has hung a banner outside proclaiming, "Eat Where the Office Eats."

Farley's restaurant also got a quick mention on the show.

"I want to be to 'The Office' what Monk's Restaurant was to 'Seinfeld,' " said Bill Young, owner of Farley's. A 10-year-old customer suggested a Michael Scott burger, a cheese-slathered burger Mr. Young is going to add it to the menu this fall.

Residents of Scranton get a kick out of the local landmarks sprinkled through the text -- a booze cruise on Lake Wallenpaupack, the mining tour, Bishop Hannan High School, where Jim graduated.

"I can just see him graduating from Bishop Hannan and getting a job at the local Scranton company," said Ms. LaBelle. "That is what we do here."

And Dwight, the dorkey second-in-command lackey to Michael, dons his volunteer sheriff's uniform when he finds half of a joint in the company parking lot and begins interrogating his co-workers over drug use. He proclaims pompously, "I did not become a Lackawanna County volunteer sheriff's deputy to make friends" as though he were a NYPD captain.

The humor of the show is risky. A never-seen documentary maker interviews office workers between the deadpan action, and there is no laugh track. People either think it is hilarious or about as excruciating as a dull day inside an office. Ms. Potis loves it, but it is not her husband's idea of funny.

Mayor Doherty's six children, who range in age from 9 to 19, all watch. "They get it."

Firefighter Art Franklin doesn't get it and doesn't want to get it.

"It's not funny," said Mr. Franklin. "It's stupid."

Plus he's annoyed that Hollywood got the Scranton firefighter's uniform all wrong; it's tan instead of the black they wear.

If the humor seems edgy, it is positively warm and fuzzy compared to the original British version.

"It is deeply depressing and annihilating and very, very funny," said Maria Johnson, a transplanted Brit who is director of the graduate program of theology at the University of Scranton. The British show is set in Slough, which she describes as the "proverbial armpit" of England.

"Is America trying to say that it feels about Scranton the way the British feel about Slough?" she asked.

But Dr. Johnson thinks Scranton is much nicer than Slough, even though locals are always apologizing about their town, an inferiority complex she thinks is undeserving.

Scranton, named for industrialist brothers George and Selden Scranton, was the anthracite coal capital in the 1930s and the third largest city in Pennsylvania with 140,000. But as alternative sources of energy were tapped in the 1950s, the coal industry suffered and the city lost about half of its population, said Willis Conover, chairman of the history department at the University of Scranton.

In 1992, the state declared it a distressed city, a designation it still holds. But the Downtown has brightened with a new mall, a Hilton, 12 new restaurants and Sanofi Pasteur , a pharmaceutical company. And the town square has been illuminated with a huge "Electric City" sign, a reference to its designation as the first city with an electric trolley car.

The city also scored a coup last month by landing the Yankees Triple-A baseball team.

"Most people describe it as a dirty old coal town with no hope," Dr. Conover said. "It's better than that."

Which is why Paul Nardone, owner of the Outrageous coffee shop, likes "The Office" and doesn't mind Scranton jabs by his "obnoxious" West Chester, N.Y., friends, who mock him for moving back to this city.

"We can laugh at ourselves because we are getting better."

So Mr. Nardone sent out a congratulatory package of coffee and treats to the actors and writers on "The Office" for their recent Emmy win with the note. "Thanks for making us laugh and putting Scranton on the map."

(Cristina Rouvalis can be reached at crouvalis@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1572. )

Listen In:
Hear excerpts from Scranton Mayor Christopher Doherty's conversation with the PG's Cristina Rouvalis:

Why Scranton was chosen as the fictional home of "The Office."

Scranton's under-35 crowd especially likes the series.

It's great to be part of an Emmy-winning show.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 1:10 PM

Har, har Evergrey......... Good find. (and I happen to have a "Froggy 101' bumpersticker of mine own....wanna buy it anyone ???)

Since the article mentions the origination of the name "Scranton" lemme add this piece that goes into more detail about it and about Scranton's beginnings as Slocum Hollow.......Oh and under the "noteworthy" Scrantonians section, they don't mention old time actress Lisbeth Scott.....

10/15/2006
Do you really know the history behind Scranton’s name?

Ask any Scranton resident who their town is named for, and most will say Gov. Scranton’s family. But how many people really know the circumstances under which the city was founded?

The Scranton family that we recognize today descended from Joseph H. Scranton, but it was Joseph’s cousins, George W. and Selden T. Scranton, who first came here. Selden followed his father-in-law, William Henry, a New Jersey ironmaster who, in 1836, visited the small development of Slocum Hollow along Roaring Brook and set in motion events that would lead to the establishment of the Lackawanna Iron and Coal Co. Joseph became a partner later.

In September 1840, the Scranton brothers, William Henry and their partners bought the Slocum property and got to work. Their company underwent a series of trials and failures, the most notable being the poor quality of local iron ore. Early setbacks led George to write, “I don’t sleep good. My appetite is poor and digestion bad. If we can succeed in placing Lacka. out of debt it would help me much.”

They persisted. Horace Hollister’s characterization of George as “a man of ardent faith…whom no difficulties could discourage” suggests that George W. Scranton had a lot to do with their eventual success. Mr. Hollister might have added that George possessed a rare ability to create a solution where none yet existed.

His solution came with the railroad. American companies were laying thousands of miles of track per year. Caught in the spirit of the age, railroad men pushed forward at a pace that could not tolerate delays caused by shortages.

Yet, shortages were a reality. The only real market source for T-rail (named because of the T-shaped profile of the track) was England, a fact that in this day of worldwide advancement of railways made for a serious shortage.

The New York & Erie found itself up against this shortage in 1845. They were under pressure to complete a line from Piermont on the Hudson River to Binghamton, N.Y., by the end of 1848, a deadline that loomed in the face of concerns about supply and cost.

George was already thinking. In a letter to Selden, dated Nov. 5, 1845, he wrote: “we must begin to think about making R.R. Iron rail. I am now satisfied that it’s going to be a great business for 15 years with great prices.”

The Scranton brothers knew that American forges had already experimented with T-rail production. Early in 1846, Selden toured another Pennsylvania forge to investigate T-rail manufacturing, while George visited New York City in search of financial backing.

Their efforts paid off. On Sept. 16, 1846, they negotiated a contract with the New York & Erie Railroad for the manufacture of 4,000 tons of T-rail at $65 per ton. In a business agreement that would shape local industry for years to come, the railroad fronted the money for the project, thus securing the binding tie between iron manufacturing and railroading. Soon, anthracite coal would complete the equation, forming a powerful industrial trio that would drive the development of the Lackawanna Valley. Mr. Hollister credits “the honor of conceiving and completing” the railroad to George Scranton, calling him “the firm, fast friend of every industrial interest of the valley.”

He was not exaggerating. As the city developed, several names, including Unionville and Harrison, were considered. The Scrantons did not favor using their name, but the persistence and ingenuity of these two brothers made an impression. The city was incorporated in 1866 as Scranton, and the town has, ever since, embodied the qualities of the men for whom it was named.

And that’s what’s in a namesake.

CHERYL A. KASHUBA is assistant to the director of the Lackawanna Historical Society.
History: Originally inhabited by the Lenape tribe, the area was settled by New Englanders in the late 1700s. Isaac Tripp, considered the first settler, built his home here in 1778. It still stands along Main Avenue near the McDade Expressway. The city’s growth came with the Scranton brothers, George and Seldon, who began producing iron T-rails along Roaring Brook in the late 1840s. Incorporated as a city in 1866.

2005 population: 73,120.

Size: 25.44 square miles.

Median household income: $28,282.

Median household value: $78,200 (Census 2000).

Landmarks: Numerous historic buildings exist throughout the city, including the former Delaware, Lackawanna & Western railroad station, now the Radisson at Lackawanna Station hotel. The Steamtown National Historic Site, the Scranton Iron Furnaces, the Lackawanna County Coal Mine Tour and the Everhart Museum are principal attractions.

Famous natives: Jason Miller, playwright and actor; U.S. Sen. Joseph Biden; former Govs. William W. Scranton and Robert P. Casey; Gloria Jean, child movie star; P.J. Carlesimo, NBA coach; Mike Munchak, Hall of Fame NFL player; Judy McGrath, MTV Networks chairman and CEO.

In the news: Scranton is now facing a grim financial future, with city government probably unable to pay off its tax-anticipation notes, pension obligations, health insurance, even salaries this year if it doesn’t borrow millions of dollars, according to the Pennsylvania Economy League. Mayor Chris Doherty wants to borrow $44 million, but City Council members have expressed concern over the plan, fearing the loan will only worsen the city’s financial condition.

Facts and trivia: Home to the nation’s first successful, continuously operating electrified trolley in 1886, leading to the moniker, “The Electric City”; built between 1848 and 1857, the Scranton Iron Furnaces ranked as the second-largest iron producer in the U.S. by the 1880s; through much of the first half of the 20th century, most of the anthracite coal mined in the country came from the area; Harry Chapin’s 1974 song “30,000 Pounds of Bananas” is an ode to an accident on Moosic Street in 1965, when a truck carrying bananas crashed at the bottom of the hill; the NBC hit TV show “The Office” is set at a fictional paper company in Scranton and makes references to numerous local sites, including Farley’s restaurant and the Mall at Steamtown.

©The Times-Tribune 2006

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 1:29 AM

Downtown bookstore...a fuller account and some photos. I didn't realize thatit was on the scale of $2.5 million or that Philly and Pittsburgh are the only other PA cities with downtown Barnes & Noble stores.....

Posted on Wed, Oct. 18, 2006email thisprint thisreprint or license this
W-B STRUTS ITS STUFF: Barnes & Noble on South Main Street takes its place as a fixture in a revitalizing downtown.
Opening a new chapter
By KRIS WERNOWSKY kwernowsky@leader.net

TIMES LEADER/CLARK VAN ORDEN
The new Wilkes University and Kings College Barnes & Noble Book Store on South Main Street in Wilkes-Barre opened Tuesday morning.
Photos at:
http://www.timesleader.com/mld/times...l/15785608.htm

The opening of the Barnes & Noble at 7 S. Main St. on Tuesday was what is known in the retail business as a soft opening, a low-key affair designed to work out the kinks.

“This is what we wanted,” said Steve Falke, regional manager for Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, while surveying the small, but expected turnout. “Not everything we wanted to be here is here. We have coffee, basic drinks and basic foods. Day after day things will get better.”

The books were meticulously lined alphabetically and the magazines shelved in neat little rows still untouched by consumer hands.

The store has all the makings of a typical Barnes & Noble bookstore. The most notable difference is the section of college merchandise and the still-unopened basement that will eventually house the two colleges’ required textbooks. The King’s College and Wilkes University bookstore is the first joint-college venture for the Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, a sister company to the retail book giant.

The store’s biggest attraction (next to the college textbooks), Falke said, will be the large café that serves licensed Starbucks products in front of large pane-glass windows overlooking South Main Street.

“It’s going to be a strong asset,” Falke said. “Seeing business people coming in, we’ll probably start doing a good breakfast and lunch business.”

Regan Reitsma, 34, of Forty Fort, is a third-year assistant professor of philosophy at King’s College.

Talk of the bookstore buzzed through the college campus in the days leading up to the opening, he said. Before the downtown outlet opened, Reitsma often graded tests at the café in the Arena Hub Plaza Barnes & Noble store. A stack of philosophy midterm exams lay strewn across the table before him Tuesday as he sipped an iced coffee.

“When I grade or write, I don’t like staying in the office,” he said. “I like to have a little hubbub going on around me while I work.”

Reitsma believes the new business is a perfect fit for a city that is trying to redefine itself as a higher-education hub of the state’s northeast corner.

“I’m actually going to start holding my office hours here so my students will actually show up,” he said, joking.

Store employees represent a mishmash of college students, local residents and retirees looking for a few hours of work here and there, Falke said. This is the type of blending between the college and local community he hoped he would see.

Formal grand-opening events – one for students and another for civic and business leaders – are planned for early November, said Stephanie Bombay, spokeswoman for the Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Business and Industry.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 1:41 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Great article about "The Office" Eg. Good history lesson too dony. Thanks guys.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 1:46 AM

Next up for Wilkes-Barre: $22Milllion riverfront project/public gardens begins.

--------------------------
Posted on Fri, Oct. 20, 2006

Project groundbreaking taps into river of dreams
Great things are seen for W-B levee portal opening, amphitheater and landing.

By JENNIFER LEARN-ANDES jandes@leader.net

WILKES-BARRE – This may be the start of a new love affair with the Susquehanna River.

The river, which has been cut off by levee walls and associated with flooding and pollution, will again become accessible to people in the city’s downtown thanks to a $22.6 million recreation project launched Thursday.

More than 100 community and government leaders gathered at the River Common for the official groundbreaking to construct two portal openings through the levee, a 700-seat amphitheater and a 1.2-acre river landing with spots to fish and hold festivals.

“What we will see along the Susquehanna River at this site in the future actually challenges the imagination, and none of us have that imagination to realize how great it will be,” U.S. Rep. Paul Kanjorski, D-Nanticoke, said during the ceremony.

If anyone can picture what it will look like after the estimated three-year completion, it’s Varoujan Y. Hagopian, who has spent about a decade on the design and landscaping.

“It’s going to be absolutely fabulous,” said Hagopian, of Watertown, Mass.-based Sasaki Associates Inc.

The tired-looking spot where they gathered Thursday across from the Irem Temple building will be graded to street-level and covered in long-lasting granite, blue stone and brick around a 60-foot-wide portal, he said.

Hagopian pointed to the fortress-looking wall that lines the River Common’s River Street side.

“Do you see that nasty wall? It will be gone,” he said.

People will be able to sit on its flat-topped replacement. Some swaths will remain grassy and be brightened with new trees and shrubbery.

New lighting will be everywhere: on the concrete-capped levee, along the river’s edge and on the street side of the park, he said.

“We want people to use this at night and feel safe,” said Hagopian, who has designed projects worldwide.

A “grand public garden” on the courthouse’s south side and the calming of River Street are also planned, Commissioner Todd Vonderheid said during the ceremony.

Noting the sound of River Street traffic in the background, Vonderheid said the roadway will become a “grand boulevard” with only one lane of traffic in each direction and a “gorgeous green space and tree-lined island in the center.

“Great communities have great public space – space that brings us all together regardless of our means, regardless of our political ideologies, regardless of who we like and who we don’t like,” Vonderheid said. “It’s this kind of project that helps change the psyche of places and, in fact, we know that we have a sense of place here in the Wyoming Valley for the first time in a long time.”

The idea of “poking big holes in perfectly good levees” initially seemed strange to some engineers, said Col. Peter W. Mueller, the Baltimore District Commander of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He predicts they will be won over by how the new doorway draws people to the water’s edge. Flood gates will be stored inside the walls and pulled out when necessary.

“There is a good reason, and by the time this is done, engineers that had those questions early on will see a great project,” Mueller said. “This riverfront project that we’re celebrating today really goes beyond the traditional Corps of Engineers features and brings Wilkes-Barre to the cutting edge of urban levee design.”

Those in attendance gave a standing ovation to county Engineer Jim Brozena, who has devoted much of his career to protecting people from river floodwater and developing ways to make the river conducive to recreation.

“The Wilkes-Barre River Common is a special place,” he said. “The time for speeches is done. The time for work is now. Let’s get this project under way.”

U.S. Rep. Paul Kanjorski used the riverfront groundbreaking to clear up what he said has become a misconception about the proposed inflatable dam’s 440-acre lake.

“A lot of people are worried about having a lake, and they think about it as raising the level up to the top of the levee and having a dangerous condition,” he said.

The dam would “stabilize the water to the existing shoreline as it does in natural, normal flow.”

He used a recent collegiate rowing competition on the river as an example, saying one of the participants said the event would have been impossible without the preceding three days of rain.

Kanjorski said federal funding is in place to build the $14 million dam, and he is lobbying state and federal governments to proceed with the necessary approval.

“It will give us four, five, six months of the year of a recreational asset in the Wyoming Valley second to practically none that I can think of in this entire region.”

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 5:28 PM

Back up at the airport: Another office park in addition to the two office complexes to be devloped across the way at Montage Mountain....

NePA is definitely on the march........alas,if only these offices could land in DT W-B or DT Scranton.......

Posted on Fri, Oct. 20, 2006
Developer on board for $30M office park
Dunmore company expects to break ground next year on the 12-acre Landing Pointe, which will be located near airport.

By JERRY LYNOTT jlynott@leader.net

DUPONT – A Dunmore developer plans to invest $30 million in a six-building office park near the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport.

Landing Pointe will be located on approximately 12 acres near the Holiday Inn Express and Damon’s restaurant on airport property bordering Interstate 81.

The project, to be built in stages, will showcase the newly expanded airport, be suitable for businesses that frequently use the facility and attract companies that have regional operations to a midway point between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, said architect Brian Clark.

His company, Ballina Realty and Development Inc., entered into a two-year agreement with the airport last November to develop and market the land to third-party tenants.

“The first building is 60 percent leased,” Clark said. He expects to break ground next year.

A 19,200-square-foot, two-story structure, the building is the smallest of the six. Three others are 24,000 square feet. The next largest is 26,900 square feet and the largest is a three-story 84,000-square-foot building.

Clark said Landing Pointe will fill the need for businesses that require 2,000 to 5,000 square feet of space. That market is underserved, he added. “We happen to fit right in there.”

Lackawanna and Luzerne county commissioners who sit on the airport board were provided flyers Thursday about the project. It was not discussed during the board’s monthly meeting.

A call to Airport Director Barry Centini was not returned.

The board’s vice chairman, Luzerne County Commissioner Todd Vonderheid, said there was no public discussion because the flyer was an update of the existing agreement.

Ballina is required to “develop building architectural and engineering drawings and advertise and market the designed space at no cost to the airport,” according to the agreement.

The company has created a Web site for Landing Pointe showing the site, the buildings and dimensions.

The developer and the airport must enter into long-term leases for the land if tenants are secured and if Ballina decides to build, according to the agreement.

The land becomes available for other development if, within two years, Ballina fails to secure enough tenants to begin the project.

“We will be the owners of that design work if it doesn’t go anywhere,” Vonderheid said.

If the airport finds tenants for the land before Ballina, the developer has the option to enter long-term leases with the airport that have the same terms as those for the new tenants. The developer can also refuse those terms, but by doing so it surrenders its rights to the land.

Vonderheid said the airport is pleased with the progress to date and the developer’s commitment.

“Every time a design professional does work and they’re not being paid, they’re investing in the project,” he said.

On the Net

To view drawings of the office buildings planned by Ballina Realty and Development Inc., visit www.landingpointe.com .

Jerry Lynott, a Times Leader staff writer, may be reached at 829-7237.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2006, 10:00 PM

News from Dallas, PA (not TX) in greater W-B, about College Misericordia...or "Misery" as it's known to its fond student body......

Posted on Sun, Oct. 15, 2006

Misericordia announces $6M research, speech center

By JOHN DAVIDSON jdavidson@leader.net

DALLAS – College Misericordia unveiled plans for a new $6 million research and speech pathology center at its annual trustee dinner Saturday evening, and also publicly launched a $15 million capital campaign that will help fund the new facility and other campus projects.

State Sen. Charles Lemmond, R-Dallas, was on hand to present the school with a check for $2.5 million from the Commonwealth. The grant, which Lemmond called “a very appropriate expenditure of funds,” was secured through a bipartisan effort in the state senate, he said.

The money will help fund the construction of the new research building, formally called the Idea Center, which will house research labs, classrooms and clinical space for the school’s Assistive Technology Research Institute and the Speech-Language-Hearing Center.

College President Michael MacDowell said the school accepted state money because the Idea Center will function both as an educational and a public service facility. The College’s Assistive Technology Research Institute and speech pathology center will offer free services and treatment for people with speech disorders. Construction is set to begin in April 2007.

“We’ll be providing free public services here through the speech-language pathology master’s program in the form of clinical services and testing new products for disabled people,” MacDowell said. “We like to think of Misericordia as the community’s college.”

Since the school began its speech pathology program in 2003, students and college faculty have treated more than 300 local people with autism, voice disorder, speech problems and other related infirmities.

The school, which is in the process of applying to the state for university status, has already raised $10 million as part of the capital campaign to fund the 28,500-square-foot Idea Center, renovate older facilities and strengthen the school’s endowment.

The capital campaign is the college’s most ambitious ever, according to campaign chairwoman Susan Fort Sordoni. It began two years ago when Board of Trustees member Sandy Insalaco Sr. pledged $500,000 to jump-start the capital campaign. He and his wife, Marlene, were honored for their work at Saturday’s trustee dinner along with Jack and Deborah Burke.

John Davidson, a Times Leader staff writer, may be reached at 829-7210.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 11:14 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Good to see all the positive NE PA news. I wish the folks envisioning the waterfront development had included a rendering of some kind. I'd like to get a better mental pic of what the finished product will look like.

Thanks for all the info dony.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 12:35 PM

I hear ya, EX....^^^^..... I'll tryto dig one up.There must be something among the 1 1/2 official Wyoming Walley websites. haina?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast