HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:29 PM
surely you agree with me

That 'four storey tower' thing made me laugh this morning....also that they specifically mention people calling the planner to complain about the height.

Last edited by trueviking; Sep 24, 2018 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I don't think it sounds that out of whack. It's a pretty big site. My guess is that the two buildings will have gigantic floorplates and look rather suburban. With any luck they may be more tasteful than gabled shingled roofs but I'm not holding my breath.
Pretty much, yes. The elevations look not too bad, as far as these types of, uh, towers go.

The site plan shows one of the buildings set back 25' from the sidewalk. I remember hearing that they originally wanted to set this building back even further to have parking/driveway in the front. Glad they ended up not going with that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:59 PM

Just looking at those drawings I'm not sure where the 199 unit figure comes from. Seems like 51 or 61 per building. Although it was kinda hard to tell.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That 'four storey tower' thing made me laugh this morning....also that they specifically mention people calling the planner to complain about the height.
since martin cash doesn't regularly do the Monday column anymore, ive noticed more of these kind of moments from mr. Thorpe. lol he also seems to be trolling this site hard for stories.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:13 PM

"gabled shingled roofs"

That is their specialty and vinyl siding,, most of the time.

https://www.seymourpacific.ca

Why don't the NIMBY's complain about vinyl siding and shingled roofs?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:14 PM

^^^ that's turning into quite the suburban Winnipeg vernacular! if that's what the market wants, that's what she gets!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:19 PM

Their exact twins are scattered around Saskatoon too.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:22 PM

If you go back the article online,, The Free Press replaced the words tower with building.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Just looking at those drawings I'm not sure where the 199 unit figure comes from. Seems like 51 or 61 per building. Although it was kinda hard to tell.
119. 199 must've been a typo.

Old Posted Today, 1:00 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

ICYMI, Main Street Project is taking over the Mitchell Fabrics building at Main and Logan.

I'm not going to dispute that this is a badly-needed expansion of MSP's services. Although I do have to question what it all means for the revitalization of North Main. A decade or so ago, CentreVenture led the way to a large-scale demolition of property on North Main which led to the development of the WRHA's head office. It was presumably meant to lead the way to some kind of revitalization of that strip of North Main.

Now with a massive homeless shelter slated to go into one of the most prominent properties along that strip, that dream is pretty well dead. The area north of Disraeli/Alexander is destined to remain Winnipeg's Skid Row... which sort of makes you wonder what the point of getting the WRHA head office built there, not to mention the United Way's office, was in the first place? The WRHA is now saddled with this hideous fortress of a building located nowhere near other government offices or health care facilities, and it does jack all to improve Main Street. It seems as though an awful lot of money was spent to very little benefit.

Old Posted Today, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Now with a massive homeless shelter slated to go into one of the most prominent properties along that strip, that dream is pretty well dead. The area north of Disraeli/Alexander is destined to remain Winnipeg's Skid Row... which sort of makes you wonder what the point of getting the WRHA head office built there, not to mention the United Way's office, was in the first place? The WRHA is now saddled with this hideous fortress of a building located nowhere near other government offices or health care facilities, and it does jack all to improve Main Street. It seems as though an awful lot of money was spent to very little benefit.
Like it or not the homeless people will be around, shelter or not. The WRHA building also houses a primary care clinic (An ACCESS centre) with a plethora of social services based there primarily because of the neighbourhood. The WRHA went there to serve the vulnerable populations, not to chase them away to satisfy our idilic urban dreams.

Old Posted Today, 1:32 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Like it or not the homeless people will be around, shelter or not. The WRHA building also houses a primary care clinic (An ACCESS centre) with a plethora of social services based there primarily because of the neighbourhood. The WRHA went there to serve the vulnerable populations, not to chase them away to satisfy our idilic urban dreams.
Revitalization was a major selling point at the time. Obviously that isn't the WRHA's mandate, but the rhetoric coming from the provincial government played that angle up. If it had only been about services to the local community, a much smaller facility (without offices and the huge parkade) would have sufficed.

Old Posted Today, 1:38 PM

Will all the re-vamping of homeless shelters and services in the downtown area, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The upside is that with better services and facilities the homeless people involved can be better integrated into the community and should become less of a challenge in the streets.

Old Posted Today, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Revitalization was a major selling point at the time. Obviously that isn't the WRHA's mandate, but the rhetoric coming from the provincial government played that angle up. If it had only been about services to the local community, a much smaller facility (without offices and the huge parkade) would have sufficed.
Though the Head Office didn't have to be there much of that office space is for Employment and Income Assistance, Home Care, Public health and Mental health making up about 150-200 community based positions. All are community based services that require offices in every community area in the city. If WRHA Corporate hadn't moved in there the office would still have been fairly substantial. Corporate only makes up the 4th floor which has a smaller floor plan because of the roof top patio.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan