HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 10:57 PM

[IMG]

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:26 PM

Exciting to see this pick up steam and to start and get a sense for what the street experience will be as the facade comes together. That said, I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of construction can confirm that I'm not going crazy: a quick walk down 11th and up market these days shows that most of the facade pieces have been installed off-kilter, with huge slanted gaps between panels, both in the street-level pieces and if you look at the rows of windows on the upper floors. I'm hoping there's such a thing as "rough installation" where they get everything approximately in place, and then you circle back later and hammer them into more exact position? As it currently stands, the misplaced pieces make this whole project look incredibly sloppy and cheap. Doesn't help that I don't love the cladding on tower 1 as compared to tower 2, but materials and colors aside there appears to be haphazard assembly going on.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
Exciting to see this pick up steam and to start and get a sense for what the street experience will be as the facade comes together. That said, I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of construction can confirm that I'm not going crazy: a quick walk down 11th and up market these days shows that most of the facade pieces have been installed off-kilter, with huge slanted gaps between panels, both in the street-level pieces and if you look at the rows of windows on the upper floors. I'm hoping there's such a thing as "rough installation" where they get everything approximately in place, and then you circle back later and hammer them into more exact position? As it currently stands, the misplaced pieces make this whole project look incredibly sloppy and cheap. Doesn't help that I don't love the cladding on tower 1 as compared to tower 2, but materials and colors aside there appears to be haphazard assembly going on.
Yeah, I brought this up in another thread....

That CAN'T be the final installation. Those off seams are all over the place.

For me, this cladding is a miss. Not crazy about the tan color. This screams "suburban office park" to me. Others disagree, though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:07 PM
BANNED

^I don't think it looks all that great either. Very basic and cheap looking. I hope the west tower comes out much better with it's brick facade.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Yeah, I brought this up in another thread....

That CAN'T be the final installation. Those off seams are all over the place.

For me, this cladding is a miss. Not crazy about the tan color. This screams "suburban office park" to me. Others disagree, though.
Not to be one of those Philadelphians who settles, but I'll gladly take the ugly cladding colors if they just affix the pieces to the building in the way one would expect of a major project in a major city. I wouldn't have brought it up except I've never seen another project of this scale install facade pieces and then leave them looking so egregiously out of place. I'd like to think there's enough oversight on something of this magnitude where we're not the only assholes who've noticed, and that it's on a punch list of things to do as everything comes together, but...it makes me nervous.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Not to be one of those Philadelphians who settles, but I'll gladly take the ugly cladding colors if they just affix the pieces to the building in the way one would expect of a major project in a major city. I wouldn't have brought it up except I've never seen another project of this scale install facade pieces and then leave them looking so egregiously out of place. I'd like to think there's enough oversight on something of this magnitude where we're not the only assholes who've noticed, and that it's on a punch list of things to do as everything comes together, but...it makes me nervous.
1900 Arch looked similar when they were first putting the cladding up there. I haven't been that close to 1900 since it's been completed to check and see if it got better.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Unless you're referring to something else that I'm not seeing in the photos, I think what you may be talking about are actually open windows. They appear to be awning windows that open at the bottom, similar to this:

If that's NOT what you're talking about, can you describe it in a bit more detail? I or someone else here might be able to suggest an explanation if you give some more detail.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Unless you're referring to something else that I'm not seeing in the photos, I think what you may be talking about are actually open windows. They appear to be awning windows that open at the bottom, similar to this:

I assure you it is not open windows. On the west-facing wall of the tower, there are entire panels (made up of multiple floors of multiple windows) that are visibly not in line/level with the rest of the structure. The same can be said for some of the ground level facade pieces installed now on 11th. One can with the naked eye detect obvious slants wherein the pieces are only one inch apart on one side and then many inches apart by the time you get to the other side. It doesn't appear that any of the pictures currently in this thread are zoomed in enough to illuminate this.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
I assure you it is not open windows. On the west-facing wall of the tower, there are entire panels (made up of multiple floors of multiple windows) that are visibly not in line/level with the rest of the structure. The same can be said for some of the ground level facade pieces installed now on 11th. One can with the naked eye detect obvious slants wherein the pieces are only one inch apart on one side and then many inches apart by the time you get to the other side. It doesn't appear that any of the pictures currently in this thread are zoomed in enough to illuminate this.
Can you see it when you zoom in here?

https://app.oxblue.com/open/NREA/Eastmarket

This is a current and fairly high-resolution webcam view of that side of the tower, and you can zoom in quite a bit. Based on your description, all I'm seeing is actually a design element with different widths of vertical spaces between groups of windows, but maybe you mean something else?

EDIT: Looked at this some more (you have me a bit intrigued by this). Do you mean the column of vertical white pieces between the two window walls on the westernmost facade, i.e., where that facade steps in a bit? If so, I DO see some pieces that appear to be not fully attached, e.g., next to the 2nd and 3rd rows of windows from the top.

Last edited by Philly Fan; Apr 19, 2017 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 5:28 PM

Interesting sight on the webcam today: a steel "structure" is being installed on the 12th Street side. Possibly a mount for the crane

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 12:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Interesting sight on the webcam today: a steel "structure" is being installed on the 12th Street side. Possibly a mount for the crane
I think that is part of the base for the apt tower. Way too robust for a crane support.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:50 PM

The project's Twitter account says this as of 2 hours ago: Hey, Philly! Stay tuned to this page, we have some exciting announcements coming up that you won't want to miss. #EastMarketMonday

Dare we hope for some new lease announcements? Given the hashtag, I'm guessing we'll hear something before the day is out.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I think that is part of the base for the apt tower. Way too robust for a crane support.
If it is, it wil have to be moved east. Its not inside the tower footprint in its present location. Either way its a substantial piece of steel

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:53 PM

Notice the formation of the two curved corners on the Market Street facade

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
If it is, it wil have to be moved east. Its not inside the tower footprint in its present location. Either way its a substantial piece of steel
True, so maybe it is for the crane. I guess it's a temporary assembly.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacevator View Post
Notice the formation of the two curved corners on the Market Street facade

That is one hell of a shot , thanks for posting the view . Hope you can take another when the second high rise is topped off .

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
That is one hell of a shot , thanks for posting the view . Hope you can take another when the second high rise is topped off .
It's a screen capture from the construction webcam, which updates every few minutes:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/NREA/Eastmarket

You can take a few shots of your own!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
The project's Twitter account says this as of 2 hours ago: Hey, Philly! Stay tuned to this page, we have some exciting announcements coming up that you won't want to miss. #EastMarketMonday

Dare we hope for some new lease announcements? Given the hashtag, I'm guessing we'll hear something before the day is out.
Well I guess we're still waiting on the 'exciting announcements', as of this post. I am excited for more lease announcements - I feel like it is about time.

https://twitter.com/EastMarketPhl

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbrown View Post
Well I guess we're still waiting on the 'exciting announcements', as of this post. I am excited for more lease announcements - I feel like it is about time.

https://twitter.com/EastMarketPhl
I get that social media is an afterthought for many companies and people, and I sort of wish it still was as most of it is pointless. But whoever manages this twitter handle might have come up with a hashtag other than #EastMarketMonday, which would imply that something was going to happen on, uh, Monday.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I get that social media is an afterthought for many companies and people, and I sort of wish it still was as most of it is pointless. But whoever manages this twitter handle might have come up with a hashtag other than #EastMarketMonday, which would imply that something was going to happen on, uh, Monday.
maybe next Monday?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive