HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 6:38 PM
National Capital Region

Ottawa Municipal Election 2010

We have our first candidate!

Alex Cullen first to announce bid to be mayor
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Al...235/story.html

BY KATE JAIMET, THE OTTAWA CITIZENJANUARY 4, 2010 12:03 PM

OTTAWA — Bay Councillor Alex Cullen declared his candidacy for mayor of Ottawa Monday, with promises to raise taxes, oppose Lansdowne Live, support a downtown transit tunnel, and stop the flow of sewage into the Ottawa River.

"You will see a tax increase and you will see a tax increase that will be close to inflation," Cullen said, naming transit, social housing and recycling as areas that will require public investment.

And he criticized mayor Larry O'Brien's broken electoral promise of "zero means zero" tax increases.

"Part of what I'm bringing to the table is honesty," Cullen said. "It's disingenuous to tell the public you can have your cake and eat it, too. You can maintain services without raising taxes."

Replying to a question in French, Cullen said it's possible that the 2011 tax hike could be more than the rate of inflation, but added: "There is always a limit. Taxpayers don't want to pay more than eight per cent or 10 per cent. That's unacceptable."

Cullen, who has held a seat on city council for 15 years, said he will not accept union or corporate contributions to his campaign, despite the need to raise an estimated $400,000 to conduct the race. He supports banning such donations for candidates running for municipal office, and is also in favour of a lobbyist registry to add transparency to City Hall proceedings.

Cullen said that one of his top priorities as mayor will be to build a rapid transit system in Ottawa, including a downtown rail tunnel. He will also push ahead with multi-million dollar initiatives to improve the sewage system and stop sewage overflows into the Ottawa River.

"We are the owners of a legacy that was built before these issues became important. We're going to have to deal with it, and the public understand this cannot be done for free."

Asked whether there was any area where he would cut city services to save money, Cullen could not name one.

"I'm not running to cut a service,"

Cullen criticized his expected opponent, O'Brien, as a "weak mayor" and said that O'Brien's recent vow — to pre-emptively lock out O.C. Transpo workers if faced with the possibility of another winter strike — was "amazing, astonishing, and absolutely repugnant."

"Under my administration there will be no lockout. We have the tools to reach a settlement," he said.

Cullen, whose tenure on council since 1991 has been interrupted only by a brief stint in provincial politics, said he believes he's a "competitive" candidate. However, he would not completely rule out dropping out of the mayoralty race and returning to run in Bay Ward if polls in the summer show him unlikely to win.

"Yeah, that theoretical possibility is there. But I'm not interested. I've been on council for 15 years... I've enjoyed my time, but it's time to move up," he said. "I'm running for mayor and that's my intention. I don't anticipate running for another position."

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

and from the CBC http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...-election.html
Quote:
As of Monday at noon, longtime Kanata community activist Allan Hubley had already announced that he was running for city councillor in Kanata South, which is currently represented by Peggy Feltmate. Catholic school board trustee Stephen Blais said he was running for city councillor in Cumberland ward, a seat currently held by Rob Jellett.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 8:36 PM
Citizen-at-large

Who else will be running?

I'm wondering who everyone predicts will be the other mayoral contenders. Below are my own thoughts:

Declared Candidate
Alex Cullen

Candidates I Believe WILL Run
Larry O'Brian
Jim Watson
Peter Hume

Candidates I Believe MAY Run
Dianne Deans
Jan Harder (If for some reason O'Brian does not run)
Brian McGarry
Jim Durell
Terry Kilrea (he may have no chance, but is crazy enough to try anyway)
Bob Chiarelli (not sure how well he's actually enjoying retirement)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I'm wondering who everyone predicts will be the other mayoral contenders. Below are my own thoughts:

Declared Candidate
Alex Cullen

Candidates I Believe WILL Run
Larry O'Brian
Jim Watson
Peter Hume

Candidates I Believe MAY Run
Dianne Deans
Jan Harder (If for some reason O'Brian does not run)
Brian McGarry
Jim Durell
Terry Kilrea (he may have no chance, but is crazy enough to try anyway)
Bob Chiarelli (not sure how well he's actually enjoying retirement)
I agree with the 1st 4 you listed (Cullen through to Hume)...I have significant doubts regarding McGarry as he seems to never have the conviction to go through with a long drawn out campaign.

Now if only Holmes and Doucet were to run and therefore prevent them from being on council (we know they wouldn't win...and I have high doubts about Cullen's success).

Of the final list I believe only Diane Deans would run and maybe Kilrea (although he wouldn't have a hope either).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 1:07 AM
National Capital Region

I thought Kilrea was going to run in Bay Ward... with Cullen gone it would be open.

The more councillors that run for mayor, the better. That means fewer can return to Council

As an aside, I think it's somewhat daft that a person can't run for councillor and mayor at the same time and then if they win the mayorship step down from being councillor (assuming they won that too).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 3:09 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
As an aside, I think it's somewhat daft that a person can't run for councillor and mayor at the same time and then if they win the mayorship step down from being councillor (assuming they won that too).
But then who would have to pay for holding a by-election? Plus it would be unfair to the candidates in that ward to shoulder the cost of another campaign

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 5:14 AM

Cullen says he will "oppose Lansdowne Live". How about instead of telling us what he's NOT going to do with Lansdowne, tell us what he plans TO do with the land. For that reason alone, he has lost my vote... to be fair though, I would have never voted for him in the first place, I would take George Bush as my mayor before him.

P.S. Any news on whether or not Old Man Clive is retiring???

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 5:49 AM

Can you guys imagine how different the atmosphere would be at City Hall had Munter been elected mayor (he had my vote)?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty14 View Post
Cullen says he will "oppose Lansdowne Live". How about instead of telling us what he's NOT going to do with Lansdowne, tell us what he plans TO do with the land. For that reason alone, he has lost my vote... to be fair though, I would have never voted for him in the first place, I would take George Bush as my mayor before him.

P.S. Any news on whether or not Old Man Clive is retiring???
What people are assuming is cullien is aginst landsdown that means he is aginst the stadium.While in fact ihe isnot against a stadium i beleave he would support the city building a area at bayview from my understanding.I can see it now he is elected mayor people go crazy thinking they will be no stadium yet i bet not only would we have a new arena and stadium we would aslo have landdsdown turned into a park.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Can you guys imagine how different the atmosphere would be at City Hall had Munter been elected mayor (he had my vote)?
Seriously. You wouldn't ask some politician to run a business, so why would you ask a businessman to run a city?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
What people are assuming is cullien is aginst landsdown that means he is aginst the stadium.While in fact ihe isnot against a stadium i beleave he would support the city building a area at bayview from my understanding.I can see it now he is elected mayor people go crazy thinking they will be no stadium yet i bet not only would we have a new arena and stadium we would aslo have landdsdown turned into a park.
I understand that, but what I mean is his whole Lansdowne platform is "oppose Lansdowne Live". Well that's great, that gives me the impression that he just wants to get rid of this deal and leave Frank Clair to rot and crumble while we spend twice as much money building "Cullen's toy" stadium at Bayview. Not to mention the cost of tearing down both Frank Clair and the Civic Centre to turn it into a park that only a select few residents (mostly from the Glebe area) will use. How about give me stuff like what he plans to do with the area (re-instate the "design competition" that never existed, explore other business options, etc. etc.) and then maybe I will change my mind about voting for him. Unlikely though.

EDIT: Sorry, "Urbandale Centre" not Civic Centre.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I understand that, but what I mean is his whole Lansdowne platform is "oppose Lansdowne Live". Well that's great, that gives me the impression that he just wants to get rid of this deal and leave Frank Clair to rot and crumble while we spend twice as much money building "Cullen's toy" stadium at Bayview. Not to mention the cost of tearing down both Frank Clair and the Civic Centre to turn it into a park that only a select few residents (mostly from the Glebe area) will use. How about give me stuff like what he plans to do with the area (re-instate the "design competition" that never existed, explore other business options, etc. etc.) and then maybe I will change my mind about voting for him. Unlikely though.

EDIT: Sorry, "Urbandale Centre" not Civic Centre.
Don't get me wrong i am not voting for him never have and never well.My point i am trying to make is peopel assume he is aginst a stadium while in fact he does not seem to be.So it will cost us more money to build a satdium likely funded 100% by the city at bayview then to turn landsdown into a park were look at around $300 million just for that if some got there way.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 5:56 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
But then who would have to pay for holding a by-election? Plus it would be unfair to the candidates in that ward to shoulder the cost of another campaign
Marking ballots with first and second choices could avoid this issue.

Perhaps the mayor should just be [s]elected by Council themselves rather than the whole population. Since the vote of the mayor counts for nothing more than the vote of any one councillor anyway there's not a lot of rationale in having a citywide-elected mayor other than that it gives some people a slightly fuzzy feeling in that people seem to be obsessed with popularity contests. The mayor has very few powers above that of a councillor and the fact that those powers can be delegated quite successfully to individual councillors was proved last year during O'Brien's trial.

The current system has the tendency to devolve into this bizarre dance of "should I / shouldn't I" amongst existing councillors and the potential to lose quite a few decent councillors if their runs for mayor don't work out (not that this is necessarily a problem right now for Ottawa, but in theory it would be).

Imposing term limits would be another way to break this pattern (rather than allowing simultaneous running); councillors would be out anyway after 2 or 3 terms so they'd have nothing to lose if they ran for mayor and they would also be more likely to start building themselves up to be suitable mayoral candidates rather than playing it safe as ward representatives for their entire time on Council.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 10:37 PM
National Capital Region

here's the City site with a listing of candidates so far
http://ottawa.ca/city_hall/elections.../index_en.html

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 2:16 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Well, for one, we wouldn't be working on a subway plan. Turns out Munter's transit plan wasn't the right one just as Chiarelli's wasn't either. O'Brien, for all his troubles with Kilrea, ended up having the best transit plan of the 2006 roster of candidates.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 4:15 AM
R2-D2's army of death

I hope Peter Hume runs. The man has proven to be a capable leader and understands that Ottawa needs to grow up as a city and has supported a lot of good things and good projects. he's also for raising Ottawa's height limits. If he runs, I'd vote for him.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
Well, for one, we wouldn't be working on a subway plan. Turns out Munter's transit plan wasn't the right one just as Chiarelli's wasn't either. O'Brien, for all his troubles with Kilrea, ended up having the best transit plan of the 2006 roster of candidates.
He should claim credit and declare it his parting legacy to the city. G'bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I hope Peter Hume runs. The man has proven to be a capable leader and understands that Ottawa needs to grow up as a city and has supported a lot of good things and good projects. he's also for raising Ottawa's height limits. If he runs, I'd vote for him.
He seems smart but a little lacking in gravitas to me. I'd love to have a leader that knows how to push things through, how to slide things through and what things should get done.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 5:03 PM
National Capital Region

You want John Baird as mayor?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

You want John Baird as mayor?

I have no confidence that he'd know which things to do, and that he'd know how to slide things through. I haven't exactly followed his career closely, but he seems overly partisan for the type of consensus building required of a mayor.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 3:23 PM

Quote:
... How about give me stuff like what he plans to do with the area (re-instate the "design competition" that never existed, explore other business options, etc. etc.) and then maybe I will change my mind about voting for him. Unlikely though. ...
I was listening to Live 88.5 this morning and they interviewed Alex Cullen.

One of the questions they asked him was what his plan was for Lansdowne Park. He explained he would cancel the Lansdowne Live project and bring back the design competition.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post

I have no confidence that he'd know which things to do, and that he'd know how to slide things through. I haven't exactly followed his career closely, but he seems overly partisan for the type of consensus building required of a mayor.
I think this an excellent point. Consensus building and persuasive abilities to move forward an agenda are critical for the success of a mayor. This should be a significant factor in assessing each candidate, as well as the platform that he or she presents.

The more strident and ideological a candidate is, the less likely he or she will be able to achieve a consensus. This has certainly applied to Larry O'Brien.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy