HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Kingfisher is supposed to have direct delhi-vancouver flights

according to this 2007 article

so maybe sometime this year??
There has been absolutely no news in over a year. I think it is doubtful at this point that Kingfisher will actually commence Delhi-YVR service, at least in the short-term.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 11:28 PM

its on the YVR website from 2007 too
- the article said they are getting the equipment in late 2008 and hope to start months after that...

so its possible in 2009

not that i am ever flying there

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 12:12 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
will be nice to see here - nice livery

Looks like a brand of alcohol.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 12:16 AM

it is

Quote:
United Breweries Group or UB Group, based in Bangalore, is a conglomerate of different companies with a major focus on the brewery (beer) and alcoholic beverages industry. The company markets most of its beer under the Kingfisher brand and has also launched Kingfisher Airlines, an airline service in India, with international flights operating recently. United Breweries is India's largest producer of beer with a market share of around 48% by volume.[1]

The group is headed by Dr.Vijay Mallya who is also a member of the Indian Parliament. United Breweries now has greater than a 40% share of the Indian brewing market. Recently UB financed a takeover of the spirits business of the rival Shaw-Wallace company giving it a majority share of India's spirits business. The group owns the Mendocino Brewing Company in the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UB_Group

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
There are very few North American cities that are able to attract significant international traffic to a secondary airport.
Well, Canadian cities anyways. Newark is a secondary Airport to NYC's JFK, but it still has flights as far away as china (14+ hours). I would assume the same for Chicago and LA, if not some of the larger cities in the southern US aswell.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:51 AM

Regional airports move ahead with expansion plans

Abbotsford International will get additional taxiways as part of a $30-million upgrade

By Brian Morton, Vancouver SunApril 26, 2010

FLIGHT PATTERNS -- Abbotsford International Airport is spending $30 million to construct taxiways parallel to its existing runways so that planes do not have to use the runways themselves to shuttle to and from the terminal. Passenger numbers have jumped nearly five-fold since 2002, and further growth is expected.
Photograph by: graphic by Maggie Wong, Vancouver Sun files

VANCOUVER — Two regional airports within a short drive of Vancouver, Abbotsford and Bellingham, are moving ahead with major expansions as they prepare for growing passenger volumes in the years ahead.

"This will allow our aircraft to land and exit [the runway] immediately," Mike Pastro, general manager of Abbotsford International Airport, said of plans to construct two taxiways parallel to the airport's existing runways. "It effectively doubles our capacity" by allowing planes to get to and from the terminal without doubling back on the busy landing strips, he said.

"It also helps us fulfil our role as the backup to YVR [Vancouver International Airport], if aircraft have to be diverted."

As part of a $55-million infrastructure deal with the City of Abbotsford and the provincial and federal governments, $30 million will be injected into the airport, adding the taxiways to double the arrival rate, increase aircraft parking space, reduce greenhouse gas emissions by reducing aircraft taxi times and delays, and improve international trade by growing the capacity to handle larger planes.

The expansion, with construction set to begin within weeks and be completed by the end of this year, is meant to position the airport for growth in both the medium and long terms.

That growth will include increased tourism and business-traveller traffic. The airport presently handles about 120,000 takeoffs and landings each year, with annual growth averaging five to seven per cent.

Bellingham International Airport also recently announced that its runway and taxiway will be reconstructed this year in a $29-million project that will allow the airport to handle planes as large as a 757, which holds 220 passengers.

That expansion is expected to increase the number of both U.S. travellers and Canadians heading across the border for flights throughout the U.S.

"There will be expanded destinations and there will be new ridership, including from Canada," Art Choat, director of aviation for the Bellingham airport, said in an interview. "About 55 per cent [of our ridership] is now Canadian. It's a very important element [for the airport]."

The project, the largest construction project in the 90-year history of the Port of Bellingham, will include rehabilitation of the runway and reconstruction and widening of the parallel taxiway. It is expected to begin in May and be completed by the end of September. The airport will close for three weeks in September to allow for paving of the 2,042-metre runway and work on the taxiway.

Choat said another $28 million will be spent over the next five years renovating the commercial terminal. When completed, he said, "there will be expanded destinations."

Choat said the airport has experienced strong growth over the past few years, and that is expected to continue. "In 2002-03, we had 68,000 passengers a year outbound. And last year, it was 328,000. At our current clip, it will be 375,000 for 2010."

Jean-Paul Laube, business development manager for the Abbotsford airport, said that the planned expansion positions the airport for future growth.

"We're not targeting for any particular type of [flyer], but international [flights] is a segment we're going after. And we'd love to get back some of the business that's going to Bellingham. This will position us to grow comfortably and efficiently without hitting any capacity constraints."

Pastro said the airport is also pursuing a business development plan that will see more domestic and international flights.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...947/story.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 5:59 PM
ON3P Skis

I know basically nothing of aviation/runway design, but would that parallel taxiway be able to be used as an additional runway in case of emergency? Either way, I'm sure this is welcome news to valley residents.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:40 PM

wow, doesnt take much these days to be a "major transportation player"...

Good news regarless of its mediocraty however.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:58 PM

Here the 2006 draft of the 20 year master plan for YXX:

http://www.abbotsfordairport.ca/Asse....aspx?did=7176

I wonder how these recent announcements fit in with the eventual plans for the airport. They originally were proposing to build a new terminal in between the runways.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 7:39 PM

Well, it is a cool airport: who wouldn't want YXX on their luggage? Now all they need is a rail link to the rest of the region and I might actually try to fly out of there.

I think a little airport competition is what YVR needs. It could bring down some prices and hopefully revive the dying cruise ship industry by offering cheaper flights.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 7:55 PM

the cruiseship industry is being killed off by Alaska - they started a head tax or something and its affecting the industry in a bad way not just here even seattle is feeling its affects

I've never used YXX but i've used bellingham - bellingham isn't too bad, small, cheap to park, a 90 minutes flight to San Fran - oakland - allegiant isn't too bad

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Well, it is a cool airport: who wouldn't want YXX on their luggage? Now all they need is a rail link to the rest of the region and I might actually try to fly out of there.

I think a little airport competition is what YVR needs. It could bring down some prices and hopefully revive the dying cruise ship industry by offering cheaper flights.
That competition is more likely to come from Belligham than Abbotsford. Its no surprise they're upgrading to 757-sized facilities at a time when Allegiant has announced their purchase of 757's. Looks like Westjet and Air Canada will have some low-cost competition to Hawai'i.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 8:35 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
Here the 2006 draft of the 20 year master plan for YXX:

http://www.abbotsfordairport.ca/Asse....aspx?did=7176

I wonder how these recent announcements fit in with the eventual plans for the airport. They originally were proposing to build a new terminal in between the runways.
Looking through the YXX Master Plan briefly, it looks like this taxiway expansion fits into the plans perfectly. I'd love to see part of the expansion of YXX (perhaps the old terminal location) become a CFB home to an air mobility command. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CF Air Command currently only has one base in BC at Comox, and the closet mobility command base is in Edmonton. In the event of a natural disaster (god forbid a large earthquake), and YVR's facilities are compromised, I think it would be prudent for the CF to have a base from which it can land/launch relief supplies and run logistics. I don't know how much of the base is left in Chilliwack, but a YXX air base would also be very close to their facilities there. This has probably a 2% chance of ever happening due to what I'm sure would be a public outcry of "militarizing our cities" but I still think it would be a smart thing to do, public opinion be damned.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
I know basically nothing of aviation/runway design, but would that parallel taxiway be able to be used as an additional runway in case of emergency? Either way, I'm sure this is welcome news to valley residents.
Thats a negative. Too narrow for one and there is also no approach lighting or proper centerline. There is also chance of uncontrolled ground traffic using the taxiway.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Thats a negative. Too narrow for one and there is also no approach lighting or proper centerline. There is also chance of uncontrolled ground traffic using the taxiway.
Well in theory in a case of the plane has to land no matter what. The taxiway could be used. Just like a freeway or a field could be used.

The best part of this plan is it will lengthen the usable portion of Runway 07. Right now there is now taxiway at the end of that runway. So a plane landing has to turn off the runway before the end. This will allow a plane to go to the end of the runway before turning off.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 9:43 AM

Great news. Being a Langley resident, the Abbotsford Airport is a great thing. Takes 20 minutes to get there and it's never busy. Plus they offer some pretty cheap flights to the rest of Canada.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankthetank View Post
Great news. Being a Langley resident, the Abbotsford Airport is a great thing. Takes 20 minutes to get there and it's never busy. Plus they offer some pretty cheap flights to the rest of Canada.
I always have flown out of YVR, mainly due to the higher cost it seems by Westjet to fly out of Abbotsford, and lack of direct flights back to Southern Ontario(Toronto, London) Yes, Westjet flies non-stop direct from Vancouver to London, Ontario in the summer (en route to Halifax) But I'm a hometown Londoner, so driving extra to YVR I prefer in stead of waiting in Edmonton or Calgary.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 6:00 PM

YYX terminal is undergoing an interior space re-organization (post security hold room being expanded, taking space from the domestic arrivals area). Reason for this? Word around YXX is that Kingfisher and/or Air India are planning to fly into YXX. Believe it when I see it!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 6:04 PM
loafing in lotusland

However, it DOES make sense that YXX would host Indian airlines.

It's cheaper to fly into (much of the traffic will be recreation as opposed to business, thus budget oriented) and it's more centrally located for both Surrey and Abbotsford ( where most of the Indian population lives ).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 5:35 AM

Expanded Abbotsford airport seeks aerospace tenants

YXX's $30-million project adds capacity for passenger travel, cargo shipment

By Scott Simpson, Vancouver Sun September 17, 2011

Officials with Abbotsford International Airport won't say if any announcements are pending, but they're rippling with confidence after Friday's official unveiling of a $30-million project to expand capacity.

The project, which received one-third contributions from the federal and provincial governments and the YXX airport authority, includes a new 2,926-metre taxiway and expanded apron as well as terminal upgrades, expanding capacity for cargo shipments, passenger travel - and aerospace-related industrial development.

The airport's ability to attract and accommodate new development was highlighted in Friday's commemorative opening of the new facilities, attended by Abbotsford MP and International Trade Minister Ed Fast, Abbotsford West MLA and Health Minister Mike de Jong and other dignitaries.

Abbotsford Mayor George Peary noted in a phone interview that the project not only finished on budget but bids for the major infrastructure improvements were lower than anticipated, which allowed for more work than was envisioned when planning for the project commenced in 2008.

"Any money raised at the airport stays at the airport," Peary said.

"When the opportunity came, the airport authority basically had its $10 million ready and they were ready to go. We managed to get both the federal government and the provincial government onside.

"We knew what we wanted to do. We wanted to build a parallel taxiway, which basically doubles the capacity of the airport and of our main runway because aircraft can now land and get off the runway. They don't have to taxi back on it. That has been huge."

Peary said the project has essentially transformed YXX into "a new airport."

"The tenders came in dramatically below [expectations], because of the state of the economy. As a result of that we were able to expand the scope of the project to include a whole series of other improvements to the airport, including a $1-million improvement to the interior of our terminal building.

"We put in a new electrical generating system for standby power so we are never without electricity. We put in expanded aprons, well floodlit. We've improved taxiways. We did an overlay of our main runway. We've also created an engine run-up out here for our main tenant Cascade Aerospace."

While the work was going on, the authority initiated a series of information sessions drawing in potential tenants, stakeholders and government officials with the intent of expanding the airport's role to grab a bigger piece of North America's aerospace industry.

The Conservative government's recent $9-billion decision to contract Lockheed Martin to build 65 F-35 military aircraft fighter jets could create new opportunities for aerospace sector support to the Tory stronghold.

Cascade Aerospace, based in Abbotsford, is already a worldclass aerospace and defence contractor with certification to work on both Boeing and Lockheed Martin aircraft.

There is capacity for industrial expansion at the YXX, and off-site.

"We have lands adjacent to the airport that are just coming onto the market," Peary said.

"There are over 200 acres [80 hectares] that are just being serviced and will come onto the market shortly. There's land adjacent to the airport, there's land on the airport campus, and our land is nowhere near as expensive as YVR's land [Vancouver International Airport], for example."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Exp...#ixzz1YNEv4NSs

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure