HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 9:05 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
"The details are not details. They make the product." -Charles Eames

I don't disagree that concrete wouldn't be a fine substitute (if done with care, not always the case), but we need to remember that it's these material details that tend to separate great architects from the masses. Hopefully it's not a prelude to what's to come. Keep going down the chincy road and pretty soon you end up being Gaged!
True. But this bridge impressed me and I didn't even realize it had granite. It just doesn't seem integral to the design or presentation (I might think differently once I actually SAW it, mind you).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 9:06 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONYS View Post
Too bad. Someone should call the Herald and tell them the Flames are hording a cure for Aids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Or they could just remind them that Kiprusoff is some fancy pants european outsider doing the same job a local goalie could do for less.
You guys are awesome and gave me a much-needed chuckle today.

PS: When Don Cherry says it, people get offended and call him a bigot. But when the Sun does it, it's "hard-hitting journalism".

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 11:15 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Or they could just remind them that Kiprusoff is some fancy pants european outsider doing the same job a local goalie could do for less.
HAHAHAHA This is the funniest thing I have read today!! Nice ones!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:36 AM

granite!!

granite and snow? ... smooth ...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:49 AM

Not that it necessarily means anything, but arent large portions of at least Dalhousie and Brentwood stations (more?) composed of granite?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Not that it necessarily means anything, but arent large portions of at least Dalhousie and Brentwood stations (more?) composed of granite?
The walls are, possibly the floors inside might be but thats about it (I've never really had a reason to pay attention to what the floor is)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 6:32 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by max0442 View Post
granite and snow? ... smooth ...
Exterior granite flooring is "cracked" with a blowtorch to give it a very rough surface. It actually gives as good or better traction than concrete, when done right.

Don't worry, this isn't smooth polished granite like you see on the walls of buildings. This is much more like natural granite texture, which is anything but smooth.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:23 PM

Have you guys seen today's Sun. I passed a box whilst walking the hounds this morning. The front page headline is a classic.

Here's what the everyone's favourite has to say:

Just knew this designer bridge couldn't stay out of the news for long.

A probe is getting underway led by Tracy McTaggart, guardian of the public purse in the city's big blue playpen.

Tracy is doing the Sherlock Holmes on how we ended up with a closed-door decision by a bigshot paper-shuffler to give a contract for a footbridge to Santiago Calatrava and his fat wallet.

You know Santiago.

He is the name-brand architect who cranks out bridges and other swanky artistic statements with the regularity of Big Macs for cities where the self-styled smart set nurse an inferiority complex about their lack of cultural coolness.

The Calatrava contract is one where no one competed for the cheque to create.

The dough was handed to the supposed genius like the wealthy patrons of centuries past handed over work to their pet artists, except, in this case, no one was asked before their pocket was picked.

"We're trying to understand everything from the concept point forward," says Tracy, who expects to finish up right after Christmas and wants to find out whether the city followed its rules and whether those rules are "consistent with good government practice."

"Once we understand, we'll decide whether we like it."

Tracy sounds committed to getting to the bottom of this barrel with the strange smell but her position is still too close to city council, who have elevated butt-covering to an artform. She reports to council and a gaggle of aldermen and public members who wouldn't know how to rock a boat in a hurricane.

Tracy says this story is a "biggie" and looking at stuff like this is "always sensitive because you're spending taxpayer dollars and lots of them."

Talking of spending lots of taxpayer dollars, the bridge is already more than a couple million bucks over budget. Seems Santiago isn't so good with the numbers.

Then again, the mathematically-challenged scribbler of napkins is known around the globe as the undisputed champ of cost overruns.

The city project will be scaled back. They may have to replace granite with concrete for the pedestrian surface. Oh no, but granite is so in. Granite is all the rage and concrete is, well, concrete and not fashionable at all.

Ah, but it is expected to be high-grade concrete.

"There is no more money. End of story," says Mayor Bronco, who would like an end to this story.

"It will still be a nice bridge," he adds, assuring culture vultures he will not trifle too much with their pricey bling.

But please, you can hear the voices say, will the great man's artistic vision be altered by something as mundane as money? Will the bridge be Calatrava Lite? What of the tourists who are supposed to flock to see this fancy footbridge? What of the world-class designation this bridge supposedly brings?

Will the Michelin guide drop the city down a star when Calgary only has two? Will the footbridge now be iconic with only a small i and not a Big I?

Does anyone fool around with a pair of Manolo Blahniks? Does anyone dare touch a Louis Vuitton bag?

How they will titter in cosmopolitan Toronto. Concrete, how gauche. And to think we've gotten a huge Holt Renfrew.

"This is normal," says Ald. Druh Farrell, the latte-lifting Queen of Kensington, speaking of the overrun.

Sadly, Druh doesn't share the same dictionary or even the same solar system with many of us when it comes to what normal means.

Ald. Diane Colley-Urquhart gets her say today. She's on the audit group and, when running in the recent byelection, heard all about Calatrava.

"You can Google Calatrava and then Google cost overruns but don't waste your time. They're one and the same," says Big Red, who is plenty peeved this bridge was brought in "by someone in administration on a whim with no tendering." Someone who is retiring soon.

As for the second bridge, there is no firm budget for the East Village creation just yet but, says project head honcho Chris Ollenberger, it should be around $25 million "give or take a few million."

Chris says it won't be double the budget or even $40 million. Small mercies.

Bronco is not ready to get down to brass tacks. A second bridge design isn't picked. No company is near winning a contract to build it.

"That will be next year," says the mayor.

Can't wait.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:39 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

You know the more I read of that tripe the more I feel like Rick Bell is actually jealous of the people that can afford nice things. His insults just become so much that it reminds me of how little boys would pick on the girls they liked in elementary school.

Nobody tell him that someone here in Calgary paid $193,000 for a purse at the new Holt Renfrew. He may just pleasure himself thinking of it.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:09 PM
Round Head

I can't believe Rick Bell of all people is actually slagging off Santiago Calatrava. embarrassing.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Nobody tell him that someone here in Calgary paid $193,000 for a purse at the new Holt Renfrew. He may just pleasure himself thinking of it.
Sorry to be off topic, but did that really happen? I must see what this purse looked like....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:26 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Sorry to be off topic, but did that really happen? I must see what this purse looked like....
Yes it did, I have no idea what the purse looked like.

My only request with something like that is that the person buying it should donate an equal amount of money to charity.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:31 PM

I'm betting the purse was ugly as hell, and was just covered in a wad of fancy stones. The rich never seem to buy good taste on their way up the ladder!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:31 PM
Fake News

So I was listening to the radio this morning (X92.9 which I am now choosing to boycott) and they're saying that the peace bridge might get scrapped due to budget overruns. I enjoy how this forum has more accurate news than the supposed news media, seeing as there are revisions being made to keep it at cost. They also referred to it as a 'penis bridge' and extolled the new St. Patrick's bridge designs saying how for the price of the Calatrava we could build 2 of them (which looked perfectly fine in their eyes).

Pardon me while I go puke.

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:40 PM
Fake News

Quote:
swanky artistic statements
Classic. I'm amazed he never used the term fancy pants.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:59 PM

Quote:
So I was listening to the radio this morning (X92.9 which I am now choosing to boycott) and they're saying that the peace bridge might get scrapped due to budget overruns. I enjoy how this forum has more accurate news than the supposed news media, seeing as there are revisions being made to keep it at cost. They also referred to it as a 'penis bridge' and extolled the new St. Patrick's bridge designs saying how for the price of the Calatrava we could build 2 of them (which looked perfectly fine in their eyes).

Pardon me while I go puke.
Umm, you are aware that 92.9 is a music station and not a news station. Their news dept consists of reading The Sun and surfing fark.com.

Also this forum learned of the rework through the local media.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:04 PM
Fake News

Obviously they're not a news station, but my point was that media outlets can basically claim whatever they want and call it 'news'.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
You know the more I read of that tripe the more I feel like Rick Bell is actually jealous of the people that can afford nice things. His insults just become so much that it reminds me of how little boys would pick on the girls they liked in elementary school.

That's his schtick, he sees himself as the voice of the common man. Defender of Joe Sixpack and Sally Timbit.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:21 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
That's his schtick, he sees himself as the voice of the common man. Defender of Joe Sixpack and Sally Timbit.
I know but I just hate it, the last thing this city needs is to get divided along those lines. It makes me sick just thinking about it.

We need another Olympics/Stanley Cup run/etc. to pull the city together as one. The media won't be happy until we fight ourselves to death in the streets.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:22 PM
Construction Enthusiast

The plans for the Peace bridge called for Granite (removable granite tiles - so that underneath could be accessed) on the walking lanes and asphalt for the biking lanes.

There's lots of cheaper materials that could be subsituted for the granite, and look 95% as good, if not every bit as good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates