HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 4:22 AM

Ottawa: The Live Music Capital of Canada

I've always thought that Austin, Texas, and Ottawa are in many ways very similar cities. Austin is a state capital and Ottawa is a national capital. Both are mid-sized cities with almost identical city and metro populations. Both cities have large student populations and are home to major universities. Both cities are overshadowed by two much larger neighbouring cities – Dallas and Houston in the case of Austin, Montreal and Toronto in the case of Ottawa. Both cities host major music festivals.

Austin has successfully billed itself for a number of years as the Live Music Capital of the World. Ottawa is in many ways Canada's live music capital, boasting an exciting and enviable lineup of successful music festivals. Unfortunately, due to a lack of vision at the municipal level, these events, and Ottawa’s status as a top-tier live music venue, are not well-known outside of the region. The moniker of "Live Music Capital of Canada" has not been claimed by any city in the country – it is Ottawa's for the taking. The city has a unique opportunity to step out of the federal shadow and put itself on the entertainment map.

I think it's time for Ottawa to think big and raise its profile as a live music hub. This would serve to increase tourism and event attendance, encourage promoters to book more events and concerts in Ottawa, and dispel the myth that Ottawa is dull, lifeless city.

I've created a Facebook group to spread the word about a possible "Ottawalive" marketing campaign.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...6374677&ref=mf

What do you guy think?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 5:17 AM
Busy Beaver

Great idea, I'm all for it. We'll need to increase the number of venues in the core, get the concert hall going plus a few more indoor and outdoor facilities.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Great idea, I'm all for it. We'll need to increase the number of venues in the core, get the concert hall going plus a few more indoor and outdoor facilities.
You really beleave ottawa needs more indoor halsl etc.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 10:55 PM

There wasn't a "music venues" thread, so I'm using this thread...

An article on Apartment 613 mentioned a new music(/club?) venue called the Bourbon Room opened up recently at the south corner of Rideau and Dalhousie.

[Images taken from Apartment 613 article]

Also, in attempting to find out more about the venue, it turns out the forthcoming Puddle of Mudd concert at Barrymore's has been moved to this location...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:45 AM

I heard some interesting tidbits on CBC Radio 1 last week comparing Ottawa and Austin. I really believe Ottawa has what it takes to claim this.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Neat Café faces serious financial difficulties, appeals to patrons

Miranda Abraham, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 12, 2015, Last Updated: March 12, 2015 11:38 AM EDT

Neat Café in Burnstown, the transformed school house that has become a must-visit destination for music performance in the Ottawa Valley, has gone public with a call for aid as it faces potentially fatal financial difficulties.

In a media release Thursday morning, the café is appealing to patrons for loans to help keep the doors open.

The two events they pinpoint as contributors to the current situation are briefly referred to in a newsletter. One event is described as “a disagreement with the Township” and the other, a departing co-owner who needs equity.

Cafe owners say that the dispute with the township has now been resolved but the lengthy seven-month long disagreement was costly. As a result the Neat is faced with closuree or, as they put it, getting “creative with our debt.”

The café almost shut down a week ago and was only saved by a generous friend.

The owners say patrons who lend $100 or more will be paid back with 7.5% interest annually. “(The Loans) will be used to eradicate our unstable borrowing situation. We would love to owe our customers instead of institutions, so we have created this loan program to be as inclusive as possible,” they state in the release.

In December it was announced that Adam McKinty, co-owner of Neat was launching a new music festival, Neat in the Woods, at brand new venue just outside of Carleton Place in a 150-year-old barn. He hoped ticket sales from the festival would be help support the café.

Despite the financial difficulty, Neat has several concerts lined up for April and May, including Shakey Graves, Chic Gamine, Kevin Kane of the Grapes of Wrath, and Buffy Sainte-Marie.

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...als-to-patrons

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 4:56 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New Elgin entertainment venue eyes June opening, applies for parking exemption

Emma Hyde, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 17, 2015, Last Updated: March 17, 2015 12:23 PM EDT

A new intimate theatre and music venue run for artists by artists, Live! on Elgin, plans to open its doors June 5 and provide a new venue for performance and musical groups as well as visual artists.

The founders, father and son Lawrence and Jon Evenchick, say they wanted to create a venue at 220 Elgin St., above Dunn’s, that mirrors the atmosphere of the popular Black Sheep Inn in Wakefield, but in downtown Ottawa, making it easier for musicians to access. Their goal is an affordable place to find good music.

There will be a bar and a small 72-spot seating area for patrons between shows, and there will be a limited Dunn’s menu, sparing the cost of installing a new kitchen. Total capacity will be 90.

They plan to decorate the walls with work from local artists, providing showcase space and possible sales.

The owners also plan to hire staffers from the arts community, allowing as much money as possible to be recirculated through the milieu.

“We want to do whatever we have to to help the arts,” said Jon Evenchick.

Live! on Elgin had planned for a May 1 opening but ran into a snag with parking.

The city requires a minimum of one parking space for every eight seats within the theatre, but all the parking surrounding the venue already belongs to the city.

The business has applied for minor variance, meaning it will need the city to grant an exemption from the parking rules. and has a hearing April 1 at Ben Franklin Place on Centrepointe Drive.

So far, the club says it has support from people both in the artistic community and the neighbours at large, with 10 letters to the city supporting the minor variance, and no complaints against it.

In fact, the concept gained support from Mayor Jim Watson at its unveiling earlier this year.

“I think it gives artists and performers more option,” Watson said at the time. “It’s one of the reasons we’re constantly ranked high in quality of life when it comes to trying to attract people and talent to live and work in Ottawa. They want to have these kinds of venues, they want that cultural experience. It’s not just about work.”

Evenchick said the concept for the theatre came to him while he was studying business management at Algonquin College. He wanted to create a medium-sized musical venue, something Ottawa lacks, but after some research decided a smaller venue would be more beneficial and encourage growth within the arts community.

They also hope to provide a space where more than one show can be put on in one night. Most theatrical performances end by 10 p.m., so a musical show could be put on later.

The stage will be a set of risers, allowing for a more interactive experience if the show calls for it, as in the case of a comedy act.

The Evenchicks have planned a grand opening party June 5 with a free show.

NOTE: A previous version of this story gave an incorrect date for the opening of Live! on Elgin.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...king-exemption

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I heard some interesting tidbits on CBC Radio 1 last week comparing Ottawa and Austin. I really believe Ottawa has what it takes to claim this.
I was in Austin last week actually and agree with you, Austin is something unto itself. Ottawa lacks the venues and space to truly make it into some kind of music capital for Canada, but I didn't know of Bourbon Room or Live!, so maybe more stuff like this is coming down the pipe.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 8:01 PM

this is good news, has there been a music venue on Elgin since the Elbow Room?
(I = so old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
so maybe more stuff like this is coming down the pipe.
nit: things come down the "pike" ... not that they don't also come down pipes, but that's not the idiom.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 5:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Music City North? Banding together to give Ottawa a boost

Tom Pechloff, OBJ
Published on March 23, 2015

A new study of the Ottawa music industry calls for the city to “make music one of its priorities for economic development,” and at least one councillor is already on board.

The study, funded primarily by the provincially backed Ontario Music Fund, also recommends the city “immediately assign a point person for the music industries” to act as a pipeline of communication between the industry and the city.

Local singer-songwriter Andrew Vincent, who co-wrote the study, says the research indicates a thriving music scene is economically beneficial to cities.

“There are studies out there showing there’s connections between high tech and music ... It’s like music is a really great catalyst, I think, for cities, so that’s why cities are interested in it. Now the question is, what can cities do about it?”

Mr. Vincent says one of the great things about music is that it doesn’t always take a lot of money “to make something interesting happen.”

“It may not require huge investments, as it could be something like a point person at the city … that can be there to help (music) businesses navigate the startup phase or if they run into certain problems, how to effectively deal with those problems, so it isn’t a matter of your business shutting down, it’s a matter of putting up a solution and creating new connections.”

Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper says such an investment would be well worth it.

“If we can get one person whose job it is to do that, I think it would pay off in spades,” he says. “One person costs the city … let’s say, by the time you set them up, with IT, and all this sort of stuff, it’s $120,000. Could one person generate $120,000 worth of ROI through more proactive outreach, collaboration, working with the Jon Bartletts (founder of Ottawa-based Kelp Records) and Andrew Vincents? I think so.”

Mr. Leiper says one of his top priorities over the next few months will be trying to find the money to fund such a “music office” at city hall. He commissioned his own study shortly after he was elected last fall to look at ways other municipalities have joined forces with local music industries to generate economic spinoffs.

While the full study will be released later, “Austin is the one that keeps coming up,” he says.

Mr. Vincent also points to the Texas state capital as an example of how to do things right. Even before the now-massive South by Southwest Music Festival was launched there in 1987, advocates were already promoting music as a good investment for private businesses in the city.

“The chamber of commerce is one of the biggest influences in Austin’s transformation into what we know it as today, as this kind of music hub,” he says. “They sponsored reports on music, they got involved, they actually had a music liaison person who worked very closely with the Austin chapter of the Texas Music Association to just basically create an environment where music was positioned as an opportunity and part of the Austin brand, essentially.”

There are many similarities between Austin and Ottawa, which are both government towns with reasonably similar populations – metropolitan Austin is home to about 1.9 million people, compared with 1.3 million in Ottawa-Gatineau – and thriving tech sectors. But the key differences, according to Mr. Vincent’s report, are the 18,000 jobs and $1.6 billion in direct and indirect economic activity Austin’s music industry generates each year.

While Ottawa will likely never become Music City North, Mr. Leiper points to the tech sector as another reason why the city should support the industry. The competition for knowledge-based talent is fierce, he says, and any edge the capital can get will help.

“I think a lot of those young knowledge workers whom we’re trying to attract are really interested in good strong culture, the performing arts, visual arts,” he says. “They’re looking for those cultural opportunities, vibrant urban living, and music is a huge part of that.”

Ottawa Chamber of Commerce president Ian Faris says his group is working with tourism industry partners to lobby for more provincial funding for festivals and large-scale events.

He says a recent chamber survey showed that one of the top concerns of local businesspeople was a lack of skilled labour. Innovative companies in any field, including music, will help attract more innovative workers to the city, he adds.

“It certainly works well into the themes that we’re developing and working in,” Mr. Faris says.

“This is one that we can certainly go out and test and we can get into how important is it to the business community to have this integrated knowledge community that wants that ‘play’ attribute to the city.”

Mr. Leiper says he wants to be known as the “music councillor” at the end of his four-year term, and that means more than just helping musicians. He is also pushing for stronger music education in schools and support for music retailers.

While he concedes there is only so much he can do, Mr. Leiper says if he can use whatever clout he has at city hall to generate support for initiatives such as a new mid-sized concert venue, he will.

He says professional services surrounding the music industry need to be bolstered as well. There aren’t a lot of labels, publishers or booking agents in Ottawa, for example.

That was one of the reasons Mr. Bartlett spearheaded the recent Megaphono showcase and festival – to connect Ottawa musicians with these industry types from out of town.

City staff will soon be presenting council with a document outlining Ottawa’s economic priorities for this term, and Mr. Leiper says he is optimistic music will be among them.

“As I talk to my council colleagues about what it is that I’m hoping to achieve, as I talk to staff, both at arts and culture and in economic development and Invest Ottawa about what I’m trying to achieve, I’m hearing huge appetite for it. So I’m not going to predict a slam dunk, but I’m encouraged,” he says.

Mr. Leiper says the chances of landing city funding for music-related projects will improve if they can demonstrate a clear tie-in to Canada’s 150th birthday celebrations two years from now.

“A whole whack of people are going to visit Ottawa,” he says. “How do we keep those people here one more night and get them in to Hintonburg or Old Ottawa South or into Vanier or further afield, Carp, right? If we’ve got a music scene that’s offering something, maybe we can get that extra $180 for a hotel room, that extra $200 in restaurant meals by keeping them here another night.”

SIDEBAR

Music: Big business in Austin

In 2010, Austin’s music industries produced:

• $856 million in economic output

• $478 million in value-added impact

• $230 million in tax revenues

• 7,957 jobs

Music tourism added another $806 million in economic output and more than 10,000 jobs, for a total economic output of $1.6 billion from music-related activity. The city has about 120 live music venues.

Source: Connecting Ottawa Music: A profile of Ottawa’s music industries

http://www.obj.ca/Local/2015-03-23/a...tawa-a-boost/1

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A moveable musical feast: This fall's folk festival will expand into Bank Street clubs

Peter Simpson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 1, 2015, Last Updated: April 1, 2015 12:37 PM EDT

When the Ottawa folk festival — now rebranded as Cityfolk — moves to Lansdowne Park in September, it will also spread along Bank Street and try to capture the spirit of Austin, Texas.

An extensive program of local acts will play Sept. 18 and 19 in venues along Bank Street in the Glebe, much as bands do in small clubs during Austin’s influential South by Southwest Festival, says Cityfolk director Mark Monahan. “This will be a key element to the festival this year. I think it will be well-received. It’s going to be a huge focus on local music.”

The annual SXSW festival, which ended last week, creates a city-wide trove of live music for fans to discover. (Many Ottawa bands have played the festival, including, this year, the Acorn, Socalled, and Toronto-based Metz.) Anyone who has strolled along Austin’s Sixth Street or South Congress Avenue knows the thrill of hearing music coming out of venue after venue.

“They’re not huge venues, but that’s the attractiveness of the thing,” Monahan says. “There’s so much going on, but the shows you see are in fairly intimate venues.”

Now he wants to create that feeling on Bank Street.

“The idea of it is local music, local food, local beer, but (the music) is free and it’s in venues around Lansdowne,” he says. “We’re aiming for 80 local bands that will play over two days.”

Free shows are not a new concept at the folk festival, as for years a lineup of free music has alongside ticketed performances. This year the schedule of free shows will be offsite and expanded, co-presented with the Lansdowne Farmers Market and the Glebe BIA, and held under the name “Marvest.”

“The idea is a musical harvest, but all the music will be local, produced within 100 miles of Ottawa,” Monahan says. “All the free elements that were held underneath the folk banner, will now be brought together under this Marvest theme.”

Hmm, I thought that “Murvest” might be a better combination of music and harvest, but perhaps it sounds too much like a Jewish deli. So it will be Marvest, and it will be the 100 Mile Diet of music.

Monahan hopes to release a list of venues and performers by mid-May — “We’re hoping this week to identify all the venues, and then figure out who would play where” — and he has plenty of musicians to choose from. More than 400 local acts applied for a spot on the stages at Bluesfest (July 8-19) and Cityfolk (Sept. 16-20) this year. That’s an astonishing number that reflects the vibrant state of the music industry in the National Capital Region.

Many of those 400-plus acts have already been slotted to play RBC Ottawa Bluesfest in July, including BlakDenim, Tara Holloway, G. Grand, the Reverb Syndicate, perennial favourites Monkeyjunk and many others.

“There are so many great things going on locally that we figure, rather than make this kind of a secondary part of the festival, why not give it its own focus, with all the local bands that are coming up.” He says that each venue will likely feature three local bands each night.

Meanwhile, teaming up with the Farmers Market and the Glebe BIA is a canny move for a festival that is new to the neighbourhood and is likely to encounter some friction. Glebe residents complained about noise from the stages in the past couple of years when Folkfest was held at Hog’s Back Park, perhaps a mile from the Glebe. Now that Cityfolk will be in the Glebe, the festival needs to be seen as good for the neighbourhood, and forging links with respected local groups can only help to maintain good relations.

psimpson@ottawacitizen.com

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...ubs-with-video

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Music City North? Banding together to give Ottawa a boost

Tom Pechloff, OBJ
Published on March 23, 2015

A new study of the Ottawa music industry calls for the city to “make music one of its priorities for economic development,” and at least one councillor is already on board.
It's great to see this finally happening - six years after I first suggested it in this very thread (right down to the Austin comparison!)

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 12:35 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Braids, Weights and Measures head Arboretum Fest schedule

Peter Simpson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: May 26, 2015, Last Updated: May 26, 2015 1:00 PM EDT

Braids, the Sadies, Hayden and a reunited Weights & Measures will headline a relocated and expanded Arboretum Festival in August.

The fourth edition of the festival will be held Aug. 19 to 22, and centered around its new home on Albert Island, that slip of land between the Canadian War Museum and the larger Chaudière Island.

“A derelict industrial lot flanked by warehouses situated on the Ottawa River, Albert Island will be transformed into an immersive, two-day island party featuring a concert courtyard, interactive installations, specialty food, and a warehouse venue,” says a release from the indie festival.

In addition to Braids, Hayden and the Sadies, the outdoor shows on the island will include an exclusive reunion of math-rock instrumentalists Weights & Measures, including Arcade Fire’s Jeremy Gara. Also in the lineup are Weather Station, U.S. Girls, Julianna Barwick, Phèdre, Kings College, New Fries, Fet.Nat, Saxyndrum, Tweens, Nightshades, Milk Lines and others.

Two rising stars on the bill include Toronto’s Del Bel, with its atmospheric, neo-cabaret sound, and Ottawa’s New Swears — “pretty much the best live act in the city right now,” says Arboretum creative director Rolf Klausener. The New Swears — whose album Junkfood Forever, Bedtime Whenever was on the Big Beat list of best local music in 2014 — are building a reputation for “crazy” and “energetic” live shows. “They’re really engaging, really charismatic,” says Klausener, who expects the band to soon be playing larger festivals.

The festival will have two “venue-based showcases,” including one with the experimental singer Julianna Barwick, from Brooklyn, and another with a presentation of the Queer Songbook Orchestra, from Toronto.

In addition to shows at the main, outdoor concert space, Albert Island will also host shows in a 300-capacity warehouse. The outdoor space itself will hold 2,000 people, double the capacity of the Mugshots courtyard at the Ottawa Jail Hostel downtown, which has to now served as Arboretum’s main site.

“It really offers us our own festival site, so we’re really excited,” Klausener says of the Albert Island location, which is accessed via Booth Street. The island doesn’t look so large — it’s easy to not even notice it when passes on Booth — but he says that, “when you’re on the site, it feels much bigger.”

The former home at the hostel courtyard will still be used as a venue this year, as will Saint Alban’s Church, on King Edward Street in Sandy Hill. Klausener also hopes to have joint exhibitions with the Asinabka festival of indigenous film, in the SAW Video courtyard outside the SAW Gallery.

Arborteum had about 3,500 people through the gates last year, and is looking for significant growth with this year’s changes.

“I’d like to see 5,000,” Klausener says. “Eventually we’d like to be 5,000 per day, that would be our goal, sort of a boutique size. We never want to be bigger than that.”

No aspirations to be the next Bluesfest around the Arboretum planning table. “We’re trying to offer the city an alternative,” he says, and that doesn’t mean being the biggest festival in town.

Albert and Chaudière islands have attracted controversy recently as the site of the large Zibi development to be built on the islands, which are traditional and unceded Algonquin lands. Klausener says Arboretum has done its due diligence and consulted with Algonquin elders, and will be working with aboriginal artists during the festival . “We are extremely conscious of it and respectful of the situation,” he says. He notes that the festival has received no money from Windmill, the Zibi developer.

Advance passes, as low as $15 for a day of shows, go on sale May 27, through ticketweb.ca, and at Top of the World Skateshop, Compact Music and Vertigo Records. See more at the festival’s website.

psimpson@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/bigbeatottawa

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...-fest-schedule

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 5:21 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Neat Café closes after disappointing festival turnout

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 4, 2015 | Last Updated: October 4, 2015 8:59 PM EDT

The popular Neat Café in Burnstown closed its doors for an indefinite period on Sunday, putting 15 people out of work and pulling the plug on upcoming shows by acts such as Born Ruffians, Jeff Martin and MonkeyJunk.

Owner Adam McKinty made the difficult decision to suspend operations and put the building up for sale after the music festival he organized Sept. 26, Neat in the Woods, failed to attract enough paying customers to break even. Although the festival received rave reviews from all who attended, the turnout of about 2,000 people was about 1,000 short of what was needed to cover expenses.

“The costs of covering the debt of the festival and continuing the café were just going to spiral,” said McKinty in an interview in the stage room of the cozy 19th-century schoolhouse that’s helped put the village of Burnstown, an hour west of Ottawa, on the map. “We need to stop and figure this out and continue once it’s is clear. It’s a numb sort of thing.”

The café has been struggling financially for more than a year, a situation precipitated by McKinty’s divorce. He and ex-wife Kim Berry bought the building in 2008 to open a coffee shop and restaurant. By 2009, they were booking shows, bringing everyone from the Proclaimers to Buffy Sainte-Marie to the intimate, 80-seat space.

Early in 2014, McKinty and Berry returned from a vacation in France with plans to expand the business. However, problems arose and the 20-plus-year marriage deteriorated.

It didn’t help that folks in the village jumped to the conclusion that McKinty, who’s 48, was having an affair with the café’s general manager, Tori Arsenault, 27.

For the record, the two emphatically deny the rumours. They are business partners only. “There is no relationship,” said McKinty flatly.

“People assumed it because we work so well as business partners,” said Arsenault. “We have kinda turned that into a friendship but it’s nothing beyond that. It seems crazy that we to need to tell that to people.”

Earlier this year, McKinty was able to raise $187,500 by soliciting loans in $100 increments from patrons. The amount covered outstanding debts but was not enough to buy out his ex-wife’s equity in the business.

“If we went another month or two, it looked possible that we could no longer cover the debts with the assets,” said McKinty. “It felt reckless to go down that path and risk other people’s money. Even if everything sold, they might not get their money back so we’re doing a full stop now.”

McKinty also hoped to be able to transfer the mortgages on the matrimonial home and the business from two names to one, but in 14 months, has not found a lender willing to make the switch.

“Now we’re at the point where I think the only way to split the assets is to sell them,” he said. “We have to shut down and sell them now. That gets everyone paid off.”

The best-case scenario is that a buyer will be found who is willing to rent the space back to him so he can continue operating the cafe.

“The plans after that are really vague because I don’t know how it would work, but it seems if we break it down and everyone’s square, building the business back up again seems possible,” McKinty said.

Shows at the café’s recently opened sister venue near Carleton Place, North on 29, are also cancelled although it will remain open for private functions, McKinty said.

No matter what happens to the Neat, McKinty and Arsenault are determined to mount the festival again next year. The community support, as well as the response from fans and musicians, showed them it is a sustainable endeavour.

“Everyone is proud of the festival,” McKinty said. “But how can we take care of the loss and keep running? This (closure) is going to be painful but for the long-term possibility of anything continuing, it has to happen. It feels like giving up is the wrong thing to do, and selling everything is essential.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...stival-turnout

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 6:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Raw Sugar shuts down, owner cites 'circumstances beyond my control'

OBJ Staff
Published on December 21, 2015

Raw Sugar Cafe owner Nadia Kharyati announced Monday she has closed her doors, leaving the Chinatown district without one of its community hubs.

“I had sincerely hoped the place would carry on; circumstances beyond my control, however, have led me to close my doors today,” Ms Kharyati wrote on the cafe’s website.

The cafe and live music venue, which was located at 692 Somerset St. near Bronson Avenue, had been in business for more than seven years.

Calling that time “an incredible journey,” Ms. Kharyati wrote the cafe had “fulfilled and far exceeded” any expectations she had when first opening her doors.

“To all of the small business folk hustling on a daily basis, the respect I have for you is infinite. Please continue to support your local favourites, they can’t exist without you,” she wrote, adding it was a “true honour” to find a place in her local community.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Sports-and-e...d-my-control/1

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
nit: things come down the "pike" ... not that they don't also come down pipes, but that's not the idiom.
I did not know that.. Interesting!
===
"come down the pike"
Appear, become prominent, as in He was the best writer to come down the pike in a long time. The noun pike here is short for "turnpike" or "road." [Slang; mid-1900s]
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/come+down+the+pike
http://grammarist.com/usage/down-the...down-the-pipe/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 5:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Music returns to the home of the dearly departed Zaphod's
A new venue appears ready to pick up where the classic venue left off.

By: Kieran Delamont, Metro
Published on Sun Aug 13 2017

It appears that a new music venue is picking up the torch of the recently-closed Zaphod Beeblebrox, a popular nightclub and music venue in the Byward Market that had been in operation for over 25 years.

A Facebook page for a venue called “The 27 Club” — a play both on the address of the venue and the curiously large list of musicians who have died at the age of 27 — was created for a venue in the same location as Zaphod Beeblebrox. (The page has since been taken down,

The venue has so far only been promoted by Ottawa-based concert promotion company Spectrasonic, who said in a promotional email that a new music venue would be opening this fall. Each of the five shows currently booked at the venue are being organized by Spectrasonic.

Metro reached out to Spectrasonic, but did not receive a response.

Despite the low profile, the 27 Club appears set to launch with a run of shows, featuring some well-known names in the Canadian music scene. Hey Ocean! are scheduled to play at the 27 Club on November 18, while Somali-Canadian folk singer Cold Specks is scheduled for December 2. Hardcore punk pioneers D.O.A. will perform on October 20.

Zaphod’s, as it was known, closed its doors in May, citing “uncertain economic times” as a reason for the venues closure. Zaphod’s had earned a reputation as an important venue in Ottawa’s music scene, with many high-profile Canadian artists including Alanis Morisette and Nickleback having played at the venue over the years.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...-zaphod-s.html

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:14 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Arboretum finds its 'dream' venue nestled in the Rideau Pines
New site offers pick-your-own food, late-night dance parties and top-drawer lineup

By: Trevor Greenway, Metro
Published on Thu Aug 17 2017

Arboretum Festival is finally home.

After bouncing from venue to venue, site to site over the last five years, dealing with space constraints, strict noise by-laws and the delicate task of throwing a party on unceded Algonquin territory, organizers say they've finally found their “dream” venue: an expansive organic pick-your-own farm just 25 minutes from downtown.

And with enough space at the Rideau Pines Farm for three separate concert areas and enough treed seclusion to keep complainers at bay, the forward-thinking festival seems to have really overcome its past woes.

“There are so many reasons why this site is so in line with what we want to do,” says Arboretum artistic director Rolf Klausener, who is days away from launching the fifth edition of the festival this weekend. “Every year it's real a challenge to do the outdoor component of the festival.”

Nestled among the pines in North Gower, the farm offers a truly one-of-a-kind concert experience — one where revellers can pick their own food right from the ground and eat it with a little bit of dirt still on the surface.
The site boasts three different concert areas including the Bang-Bang Barn, a thicketed Forest Stage and a pond-side stage for late-night dance parties. No more cutting the cord at 11 p.m.

“Let's just say we are going to have very late parties,” Klausener says.

It really is a dream site for the festival that prides itself on spending as much care curating its food providers as it does its musical talent. Rideau Pines supplies fruit and veggies to many of the restaurants that have worked with the festival in the past, which Klausener says completes “one big picture.”

“I've never heard of a festival that engages with a farm in a real-time way like that,” he says. “We really get to showcase the city's eating and arts holistically as a whole entity — this is where the food comes from, these are the people that make the food, and these are the artists that eat it.”

In past years, Arboretum has been known for its live discussion-panel series that have provided valuable discourse on social issues and industry politics. But with the new venue being somewhat of its own classroom, it won't be difficult for festivalgoers to make the connection from farm to table.

“There is this real loss of connection to food when you live in the city and you go get your groceries from a grocery store,” says Klausener. “It's amazing that we get to connect our community and music lovers to this kind of experience. It seems really simple, but it's really impactful once you're there.”

And we haven't even mentioned the music. As always, Klausener and company have put together a stellar, eclectic lineup that is both wicked and weird in every way. San Francisco noise punk misfits Deerhoof headline the festival alongside New York rapper Le1f, UN Blonde, Isaac Vallentin and Edmonton rapper Cadence Weapon.

“When Cadence Weapon headlined the first year of the festival, he brought people to their knees.” adds Klausener. “The lineup is diverse and there is lots of time between the bands and then what's awesome is that, when the main stage ends at 11 o'clock, there are afterparties.”

Open Air Social Club will host a roster of DJs at the Pond Stage to continue the rinse-out Saturday Night.

The festival also boasts late-night movies, a Dining Grove catered by Beckta, Two six {ate} and The Whalesbone, among other top city cookeries, and a free shuttle service to and from City Centre during the festival.

Time to escape.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...eau-pines.html

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 11:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Bands, venues announced for Marvest

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 29, 2017 | Last Updated: August 29, 2017 6:00 AM EDT

Folk trio Artichoke Hearts, funksters Chocolate Hot Pockets and the psychedelic garage rockers Heavy Medicine Band are among the more than 50 Ottawa-area bands that will invade Glebe businesses as part of Marvest, the free, two-day “musical harvest” that accompanies next month’s CityFolk festival.

CityFolk runs Sept. 13-17 at Lansdowne Park, with headliners including Father John Misty, Jack Johnson and Rodriguez, while Marvest happens Sept. 15-16 in various venues along Bank Street.

Irene’s Pub is one of the few participating locations that regularly offers live music on a list that also includes restaurants, coffee shops, a toy store and even a sports retailer. The idea for Marvest is patterned after Austin’s South by Southwest showcase festival, when every available space on 6th Street, the Texas city’s entertainment thoroughfare, is called into service as a music venue.

The schedule of who’s performing where during Marvest will be announced soon. Go to cityfolk.com/marvest for more information. Meanwhile, check out the lists of participating bands and venues.

Here’s the list of bands:

Area Resident; Aviation; Beyond Spain; Bruce Enloe; Bryan Snider; Étoile Noire; Expanda Fuzz; Fire Antlers; Gentlemen of the Woods; Grace Marr; Graven; Jad; Jaycee Lauren; Jessica Wedden; JK3; John Fuoco Band; Kimberly Sunstrum; Liam Lloyd; Maeve Lalonde; Mia Kelly; Mister & His Sister; Morris Ogbowu; Okies; Potential Red; RBLx; Rory Taillon & the Old Souls; Rum Fit Mosey; Sarah Scriver; Scary Bear Soundtrack; Shadowhand; Silver Creek; Slim Moore and the New Soul Project; Sons of Pluto; Sounds of Stories; Steph La Rochelle; Swim Team; Tariq Anwar; Templeton Grey; The Artichoke Hearts; The Chocolate Hot Pockets; The Heavy Medicine Band; The Jimmy Tri-Tone Band; The Leaning Lights; The Occasional Angels; The Pie Plates; The Royal Brushoff; Thrust; Training Season; Vicki Brittle; and Weird With Cats.

And here’s the list of venues:
  • Mrs. Tiggy Winkle’s, 809 Bank Street
  • Clocktower Brew Pub, 575 Bank Street
  • Lindt Chocolate Shop, 825 Exhibition Way
  • Whole Foods Market, 951 Bank Street
  • Aroma Espresso Bar, 200 Marché Way #109
  • Irene’s Pub, 885 Bank Street
  • FarmTeam Cookhouse, 683 Bank Street
  • Craft Beer Market, 975 Bank Street
  • BMO at Lansdowne, 100 Marché Way #106
  • Pure Gelato, 843 Bank Street
  • The Unrefined Olive, 151A Second Avenue
  • Industria Pizzeria + Bar, 225 Marche Way #107
  • Kunstadt Sports, 680 Bank Street
  • Arrow & Loon Pub, 99 Fifth Avenue
  • Fifth + Bank, 99 Fifth Avenue
  • The Papery, 850 Bank Street
  • Capital Barber Shop, 590 Bank Street
  • Metro Music, 695 Bank Street
  • Pints & Quarts, 779 Bank Street

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...ed-for-marvest

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:53 PM

There was a malfunction at the plant that created the vinyl of Beyonce's album Lemonade. On the A-side they ended up putting the music of an Ottawa punk band. Cool way to get on the music map.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ord-by-mistake

Quote:
The Beyoncé bump: Ottawa punk band featured on star's record ... by mistake

Some Beyoncé fans received a surprise when they dropped the needle on the newly released vinyl version of her 2016 album Lemonade.

What they heard, instead of songs such as Hold Up or Formation, were the tunes of Ottawa punk band Zex.

As reported by the website Pitchfork.com, the first side of Zex’s 2017 album, Uphill Battle, appears on certain copies of the A-side of Beyoncé’s four-side lemon-coloured LP.

The Ottawa band, which has released seven vinyl singles and two vinyl albums, formed in 2013 and has toured in North American and overseas.

Lead guitarist Jo Capitalicide told the Citizen he learned about the mixup when a friend who works at a record store in London, England, called him with the news.

“He pointed it out to me because one of the records he sold got returned, and then, within hours, it was endless messages sent to our band, mostly from confused Beyoncé fans who used an app like Shazam to find out what this mysterious band was on their record.”

Jo said many fans told him they were now going to buy his record.

“It’s pretty far-fetched, but that’s what people have said.”

Beyonce fans excited to listen to the special vinyl edition posted videos of Twitter, showing evidence of the music mixup.

Fan Walter Marsh @waltergibraltar said “Either the vinyl release of #Lemonade has a pressing error or @Beyonce‘s gone punk.”

LP. Columbia Records sent Pitchfork the following statement: “Due to human error at the Celebrate Records plant in Germany, which Sony uses to manufacture vinyl, a small amount of the European run of the Beyoncé Lemonade vinyl included music from Canadian punk band, ZEX, on Side A. Beyoncé and ZEX were not aware of or responsible for the mispress. Fans who purchased the vinyl will be refunded and given a replacement copy. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.”

“It’s funny, it’s good to have laughter in life and weird things happen,” said Capitalicide. “A bad thing would be if we are getting ripped off somehow. Time will tell; we don’t know how many copies are out there, there could be just a few hundred or they could be in the thousands. I have no idea.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation