HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 12:34 PM

Looks like the mansard roof will NOT be happening on Keith Hall. Regional Council is considering an application to discharge the development agreement for that block, which included the requirement for the mansard roof.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Unsurprising and a little disappointing. There's some rationale in the report but it seems flimsy and mostly self-serving. Basically they say that the mansard is no more in keeping with the original architecture than the current roof. But the current roofline isn't really historically accurate either.

They also say that they no longer want Halkirk House and will build a walkway instead. So much for historical accuracy and consistent streetscapes.

Hollis has some great buildings but it is in rough shape. If council can't even hold a major real estate developer to a high standard after allowing them to build a large, lucrative highrise on the site then what hope is there for the rest of the street?

Maybe their proposed brewery market renos will turn out to be really nice but there don't seem to be any plans included in the package.

I also think it's a bit messed up that compliance with development approvals is effectively enforced by regional council and not staff or at least councillors from that area. I think this is the case only because this is an old DA.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 11:18 PM

Agree. Disappointing but not surprising for Halifax: one of the oldest cities with a most interesting history that has been consistently unappreciated by its locals.

Perhaps there will be less of this type of thing happening in 2020?

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018...s-at-1000.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:47 PM

Can somebody post a link to the report?

Found this image on the NS archives site of the building in 1942 with its mansard roof. Does anybody know the history of the roof and have a pic of how it looked with its 'original architecture'?

Using the reason that it isn't in keeping with its original architecture doesn't have much meaning if they don't intend to restore it to its original condition. From there it simply becomes a financial choice (i.e. minimize costs). I don't know the details of the original agreement, but if it was agreed upon and priced upon having the mansard roof installed, how can they change the plan without solid justification? Maybe it's just a matter of my lack of understanding of the process...

Anyhow, it would be interesting to know the facts despite the reality that we have no control over what decision will be made.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...es.asp?ID=1224

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 4:42 PM

Delays . . .

Have heard several people have not been able to move in when their lease was supposed to commence . . . figured this place would have been completed a long time ago.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye77 View Post
Have heard several people have not been able to move in when their lease was supposed to commence . . . figured this place would have been completed a long time ago.
Probably because the development agreement says the occupancy permit for the Alexander is dependent on constructing the mansard roof on Keith Hall. The DA was just discharged, so it shouldn't be long before the Alexander can get occupancy.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Probably because the development agreement says the occupancy permit for the Alexander is dependent on constructing the mansard roof on Keith Hall. The DA was just discharged, so it shouldn't be long before the Alexander can get occupancy.
There are lots of ppl already living there . . . have been for nearly a year now (on the lower levels). It's those higher up floors that have not been finished on time from what I understand.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 12:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
There are lots of ppl already living there . . . have been for nearly a year now (on the lower levels). It's those higher up floors that have not been finished on time from what I understand.
Can confirm, I live lower down on the tower and the top floors are not finished yet. Still some appliances to go in and people moving in every week. Only one elevator is usable during business hours, as the construction crew has exclusive use of the other. I'm not sure if it would have swayed me elsewhere, but I didn't expect it to still be *this* under construction.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 4:15 PM
Closed account

The ground-floor commercial space appears to be fully leased out.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:50 PM

What's it like to live here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Can confirm, I live lower down on the tower and the top floors are not finished yet. Still some appliances to go in and people moving in every week. Only one elevator is usable during business hours, as the construction crew has exclusive use of the other. I'm not sure if it would have swayed me elsewhere, but I didn't expect it to still be *this* under construction.
How do you like the building (and your unit) construction annoyances and delays notwithstanding? I haven't been inside to look at the units in person yet, but they seemed pretty decent from what I've seen online?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 2:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
How do you like the building (and your unit) construction annoyances and delays notwithstanding? I haven't been inside to look at the units in person yet, but they seemed pretty decent from what I've seen online?
Construction has been a little annoying - we're going to have workers in our unit to touch up deficiencies and the elevators are really bogged down with workers during the day. I didn't have the chance to view it in person before moving in as I was moving from overseas. The layout isn't the most space efficient though. We have a long hallway with a bathroom, laundry closet and another closet off of it, then an open concept kitchen/living room and a small bedroom with sliding doors at the corner.

It was more 'under construction' than I expected, but it's better now. Generally though I like it: it's clean, it's new, and has a great location which is what really sold me. 1BR is about 1450/month, which I might not spring for if I was living alone, but it's decent as a couple.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Construction has been a little annoying - we're going to have workers in our unit to touch up deficiencies and the elevators are really bogged down with workers during the day. I didn't have the chance to view it in person before moving in as I was moving from overseas. The layout isn't the most space efficient though. We have a long hallway with a bathroom, laundry closet and another closet off of it, then an open concept kitchen/living room and a small bedroom with sliding doors at the corner.

It was more 'under construction' than I expected, but it's better now. Generally though I like it: it's clean, it's new, and has a great location which is what really sold me. 1BR is about 1450/month, which I might not spring for if I was living alone, but it's decent as a couple.
Cool, thanks for the info. My wife and I went through much of the same moving into Luxor II while it was being finished (back in 2013). We lived in the Waterford Suites on Hollis near you for many years but decided to ditch that area for a while with all of the construction about to commence for the Alexander, Flynn Flats, Maple, Queens Marquee, etc. We were considering a 1 BR in Curve (on South Park St) but the units are quite tiny.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:

I agree, the common areas were not as far along as I had expected, but the final touches are getting done and coming along nicely.

Now, while the units are a bit smaller than what I'm personally used to, the location and especially the views simply cannot be beat. Hands down the best in the city and I doubt you will find anything that beats it, when you consider the price point, in the rest of the country.

If you're in one of the 1 bedroom units that faces Northeast, which has the wrap around windows, the views are absolutely outstanding. You get amazing views of the waterfront, the Harbour and the downtown which has to be seen to be appreciated.

I hope that Killam keeps up the maintenance of the building to as high a standard as it deserves.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 2:37 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Bodine View Post
I agree, the common areas were not as far along as I had expected, but the final touches are getting done and coming along nicely.

Now, while the units are a bit smaller than what I'm personally used to, the location and especially the views simply cannot be beat. Hands down the best in the city and I doubt you will find anything that beats it, when you consider the price point, in the rest of the country.

If you're in one of the 1 bedroom units that faces Northeast, which has the wrap around windows, the views are absolutely outstanding. You get amazing views of the waterfront, the Harbour and the downtown which has to be seen to be appreciated.

I hope that Killam keeps up the maintenance of the building to as high a standard as it deserves.
We're a little lower on the tower and on the backside facing Hollis. However the Government house is a gorgeous view and I have a nice look at the downtown. My plants also love all the sun we get from 2pm onward and of course, the sunsets. Coming from a similar-sized place in Korea, I'm pretty content with the size. The building is a little awkward from some angles, but I think once all the construction wraps up and the balconies and retail spaces have signs of like its looks will improve.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
We're a little lower on the tower and on the backside facing Hollis. However the Government house is a gorgeous view and I have a nice look at the downtown. My plants also love all the sun we get from 2pm onward and of course, the sunsets. Coming from a similar-sized place in Korea, I'm pretty content with the size. The building is a little awkward from some angles, but I think once all the construction wraps up and the balconies and retail spaces have signs of like its looks will improve.
Great feedback guys. I agree with the west facing view. When we were on the 8th floor on Hollis we got to see a lot of amazing sunsets. I'll probably take a look at some units in the Alexander sometime next year.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:19 PM

I think this one can now be listed as completed.

20190111_124130 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20190111_124217 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20190111_124223 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:23 PM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:36 PM

When I was coming to work this morning there was a part of the roof that was either lit up or there were green lights on. Anyone know about lighting here?

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
When I was coming to work this morning there was a part of the roof that was either lit up or there were green lights on. Anyone know about lighting here?
It fully glows! I'm wondering if they're going do to anything else with the roof though. I don't mind the colour, but the texture of it makes it look unfinished.

Source

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 8:45 PM

It sure does:

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth