HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 4:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Evolution of Gottingen Street

Google Earth has a very interesting feature: historical satellite photography. You can pick an old date and see what things looked like back then. For Halifax, the imagery goes back to 2003.

I noticed that the differences around Gottingen from 2003-2010 were particularly pronounced so I generated a few images to show the new buildings that were constructed:

2003:

Development sites, 2003-2010:

2010:

Potential new development sites as discussed in the development section:

Looking around central areas of Halifax, there's been a pretty significant amount of residential construction over the past 8 years. I think most people underestimate how much has changed.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 6:59 AM

Great find! I think there has been some good additional infill in this area, but there could be more. I'm really sad that people aren't looking back at the history of this street and thinking about this being another commercial corridor. I'm not talking about 2 or 3 levels of commercial with 40 or 50 stories above; but to me it just feels like this street is lacking and needs more.

Honestly, for me, the next evolution of this street is a few taller mixed use buildings. The apartment building that went up near Cogswell (that has commercial) was a good start, but I'd like to see something along the lines of Hollis/Morris on in this area. Say 5 or 6 of those and that will really get this street really sparking...but that's just me.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 7:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The redevelopments of the Mitchell's enviro-depot and the Diamonds Lounge are, I think, supposed to be in the 8-12 storey range. I also think somebody said that some demolition was already under way. On top of that there are a couple of 4 storey or so developments and then some townhouses. Probably 200-300 more units in total.

I agree that there is still a long way to go but it's pretty easy to imagine the street making at least the same kind of progress during the next 8 years as it did during the last 8 years. Even if that's all that happens Gottingen will feel more like a real part of a city.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 12:34 PM
Honored Member

If there is enough residential development then I would expect more retail shops to start popping up. It would be good to see it become a bit more like Spring Garden Road. However, it doesn't have the university population to draw on so the street might not see as many pedestrians.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 4:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I might do another comparison for Spring Garden Road. It has also seen a lot of construction since 2003.

Spring Garden density levels are much higher than around Gottingen.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 11:18 PM

When I was in university; I knew people who lived down on Robie by Almon that walked from there to SMU. I think it all has to do with good transportation connections; which Gottingen has with the route 7. Plus it's proximity to downtown makes it a good location to live if you are the kind pf person (like me) that likes to live in downtown, but not quite in downtown (if you get my meaning).

Plus most of the modal trips in downtown, from what I understand, are actually bike or walking.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The redevelopments of the Mitchell's enviro-depot and the Diamonds Lounge are, I think, supposed to be in the 8-12 storey range. I also think somebody said that some demolition was already under way. On top of that there are a couple of 4 storey or so developments and then some townhouses. Probably 200-300 more units in total.

I agree that there is still a long way to go but it's pretty easy to imagine the street making at least the same kind of progress during the next 8 years as it did during the last 8 years. Even if that's all that happens Gottingen will feel more like a real part of a city.
Diamonds is in mid-demo, and Mitchells should be soon. I REALLY like the reno that is happening on the corner of North and Gottingen. I wish that I was photo-savy, and could post one of that site.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:51 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Diamonds is in mid-demo, and Mitchells should be soon. I REALLY like the reno that is happening on the corner of North and Gottingen. I wish that I was photo-savy, and could post one of that site.
Do you mean that site on the southwest corner that has the deck all down the front? I noticed that the other day and was also impressed that someone was willing to put the money into that building. Great to see.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Which corner of North and Gottingen are you talking about?

One project I'm wondering about is Gottingen Terrace. Is that still going to happen? They were claiming to have sold 50% of their units over a year ago.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Which corner of North and Gottingen are you talking about?

One project I'm wondering about is Gottingen Terrace. Is that still going to happen? They were claiming to have sold 50% of their units over a year ago.
It is the SW corner of North/Gottingen.

I hear that Gottingen Terrace is moving forward after a major stall due to a long negotiation with the Province over loan guarantee for the construction loan. Province isn't interested so I believe another backer stepped in. My understanding, but I may not have all the details right.

It would sure be nice to see it start soon. Even still, the change on Gottingen even in the past 6 months is really noticeable. In addition the demolition/construction happening, there are a number of retail spaces that are now occupied.

Not sure if this was posted here, but the Marquee/Paragon site is also for sale, with a rendering showing a potential residential building in its place.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 12:16 PM

Diamonds is down, good size lot.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 4:54 PM

there is a fence in front of Mitchell's Enviro depot. Perhaps it is coming down soon.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
there is a fence in front of Mitchell's Enviro depot. Perhaps it is coming down soon.
Where it Mitchell's? I can't seem to remember!

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 7:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Right next to Halifax Backpackers: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...2,36.9,,0,-0.9

What a dump.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 7:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

5505 Falkland actually looks pretty good in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbins...84380/sizes/l/

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 7:38 PM

The rear does look better than the front. Too much stone/fake stone being used these days for my liking.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:53 AM
opinionated so and so

The MET building, later Envirostore, was condemned by HRM about 6-7 years ago. Can't believe it too so long.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 1:42 AM

There has been an excavator at the back of the MET site all week. I assumed they moved over there as soon as they finished tearing down the old Diamonds building.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 6:46 AM

Diamonds was down first. That I remember. I know a bunch of the bar staff at Mensbar across the street - while I was home I remember diamonds coming down, but the MET was still there.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 4:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Anybody know what the story is for the apartment buildings that were to go on those two sites? Are they going to be built soon?

Still nothing for Gottingen Terrace I guess?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues