HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 21, 2004, 5:56 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Here's the St. Regis, looking better than I've ever seen it, from Market Street. From this angle, I really like the crown:

Old Posted May 21, 2004, 4:43 PM

The St. Regis is looking better all the time. I love the corners of the building and the large windows on top near the crown.

It should be great when they finish off the top tier of glass on the crown and light that thing up at night.

I had my doubts when it was going up but now I love that building.

And 199 New Montgomery is great too. I think its architecture will fit right into the neighborhood

Great pics.

Old Posted May 21, 2004, 5:19 PM

Nice shots. The St. Regis's crown is coming along very nicely I hope they put up a bunch of different color lights on it so they can change up the themes for 4th of july and X-mas. That loft project in the B of A building sounds really cool also, but it would kinda suck to have a view of that area with all the bums and scammers hanging around.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted May 23, 2004, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint
The old Bank of America building at Powell and Market Streets is being renovated into lofts--quite the urban neighborhood, no?

What a shame. The former World Headquarters of Bank of America is turning into the flagship store for Forever 21.

Old Posted May 23, 2004, 9:02 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

What is Forever 21?

Old Posted May 23, 2004, 12:52 PM
Freakbirthed

^ Women's apparel. I have never been in one, but it seems quite popular with women in their 20s judging by the frequency I see "forever 21" shopping bags being carried around.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Old Posted May 23, 2004, 6:40 PM
Proud upstanding member

better than that the national liquor open campus and urinal that it is now.

Old Posted May 23, 2004, 8:07 PM

^ exactly, I'd rather see them put the building to better use than let it sit there and get pissed on all day long, or even get torn down to build some new crappy lowrise for Forever 21. I hope the same thing happens to the Hibernia Bank, it's a really awesome looking building, but right now its just being used as a toilet.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted May 24, 2004, 2:07 AM

I read once that Bank of America considered turning the building into a museum of the bank's history (much like Wells Fargo's on Montgomery) in the mid-1990s. If anyone remembers the banking hall (which is currently being ripped out), it was magnificent. But unfortunately, the NationsBank merger prevented those plans from coming to reality. IMO they should have kept the branch/ banking hall on the main floor (which is now being moved to the basement), and added residential/ office space to the upper floors (as they are doing now).

Unfortunately, we're now getting a $30 million, 3 floor Forever 21, the flagship for Northern California. If anyone has been inside Forever 21 (especially the one at Serramonte), you'd realize how much of a shame it is...

Old Posted May 24, 2004, 7:23 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Oh. I didn't realize they were ripping out the ornate banking hall--that really sucks. It was the place that inspired Jay's father, after popping in there to pick up some vacation spending cash, to loudly declare: "San Francisco is so overwrought!" Of course, he meant ostentatious...Forever 21 is unlikely to elicit that kind of response from tourists, I suspect.

Old Posted May 24, 2004, 7:42 AM

Ah that sucks then if they are gutting the place :-\ It'd have been nice if they took after the gym that moved into the old Alhambra Theatre and kept the interior but adapted it for their use. And I agree, getting Forever 21 ain't worth gutting the place.

Old Posted May 24, 2004, 1:04 PM
Freakbirthed

^For sure. There are hundreds of Forever 21s across the country and they are more or less just a slightly hipper "old navy" for women, and "flagship" has just come to mean a rather large store in a city's tourist shopping district. Every city of any reasonable metro pop has a "flagship" Old Navy, Victoria Secret, Nordstrom's, Northface, Eddie Bauer, Armani Exchange, etc....

I don't know what other possibilities were realistic for the old Bank, but money talks and these corporate retailers got the money.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Old Posted May 26, 2004, 10:46 PM
Proud upstanding member

sorry for the woefully inadequate pic, but I was walking by on lunch today and snapped a pic of the site construction with my phone.
This is the site for the 51 story residential - The Hemisphere.

Old Posted May 27, 2004, 12:43 AM

Good to see something going on, even if it is only a cell phone pic.
Travelled to 19 Countries on Six Continents

Old Posted May 27, 2004, 2:23 AM

thanks for taking the pic! it's nice to see some action on the site!

(at least you know how to use your camera phone. I've had mine for over a year, and I still haven't figured it out...)

Old Posted May 27, 2004, 2:55 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Some construction-related pictures from yesterday:

199 New Montgomery under construction:

From the Moscone Center:

With St. Regis in background:

The St. Regis under construction:

From the ugly side:

Behind the Pacific Bell building:

The Mission Street facade is by far the most attractive, IMO:

Mission Bay's commercial nexus is quickly coming online. The new Borders can be seen burning brightly on the corner of 3rd and The Embarcadero in this pic taken from SBC Park last night:

Old Posted Jun 2, 2004, 7:41 AM

San Francisco RUNDOWN I: Recently Completed, Under Construction, Approved, Proposed

edit.

Last edited by FourOneFive; Oct 7, 2004 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2004, 3:49 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

City Orders Halt to Construction of 51-Story Tower

City halts project in the way of Transbay expansion

Steve Ginsberg
The San Francisco Business Times
June 8, 2004

San Francisco's Department of Building Inspection is ordering a temporary stop to the massive 80 Natoma St. residential project.

The department will issue a two-week, stop-work order to Myers Development so the legality of the project's building permit, as well as possible California Environmental Quality Act violations, can be studied. Myers is the project's builder.

Myers' project is being built atop land required for an underground Caltrain extension planned as part of an expansion of the Transbay Terminal.

Myers Development started construction on the project in early May. The project's 50-story height could not be supported if tunnels were burrowed underneath the residential high-rise.

Jack Myers had not seen the work stoppage order on Monday afternoon and was furious that the Transbay Joint Power Authority was publicising the order before he had received it. That order will likely arrive to Myers on Tuesday, according to a spokeswoman at the Building Inspection Commission.

"These are advocates calling the press for Maria Ayerdi (TJPA executive director) who has made it no mystery that she is trying to break my legs," Myers said. "My focus remains to work out a solution and my hope is the San Francisco Building Department will not issue a work-stoppage order.

"This has become highly political and I am trying to stay out of the politics."

The stop-work order was issued after an environmental group, Transportation Solution Defense & Education Fund, filed a request May 25 to stop the project. The group is arguing that the Planning Commission's approval for the project violated Propoisition H, the voter-approved extension of Caltrain to the Transbay Terminal.

Negotiations among the Transbay developer, Transbay Joint Powers Authority and Myers Development to work out an engineering solution that would allow both projects to proceed have been ongoing for a month without a solution.

It would cost the the authority $35 million to $50 million to buy Myers out of the project.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2004, 4:53 PM
Freakbirthed

^Wow. Talk about a lack of communication. Would it have been possible to have one firm do both the terminal and the tower?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2004, 7:45 AM

An update on San Francisco high-rise developments!

From this week's San Francisco Business Times:

IN DEPTH: SAN FRANCISCO STRUCTURES
From the June 25, 2004 print edition

Highrise hot spots: Where plans are looking up
Elizabeth Browne

Most highrises in the pipeline have been proposed near San Francisco's downtown core, with the largest numbers of tall buildings slated for South of Market, particularly in Rincon Hill and around the Transbay Terminal. The mid-Market/Mission Street corridor could also see significant additions to the skyline.

Rincon Hill
Less a hill than the sloping industrial companion to the foot of the Bay Bridge, this neighborhood could see by far the most new highrise development. The city's Rincon Hill Plan, an attempt to update planning and zoning controls, aims to increase its potential for housing by 4,200 units. The city should have no trouble encouraging the type of development it seeks for Rincon Hill. Six projects comprising nine towers have been proposed, and four of those projects have already been approved. The next residential highrise to get under way will be Union Property Capital's 300 Spear St. towers, scheduled to begin next spring. Double towers at 201 Folsom St., to be developed by Tishman Speyer, have been approved, as has a 20-story tower at 325 Fremont St. San Diego developer Urban West Associates has proposed a set of towers of 30 and 35 stories for the site of the Bank of America clocktower at 425 First St., and projects at 375 and 399 Fremont St. are in the planning stages.

Transbay Terminal area
The city's redevelopment agency has earmarked sites for six highrises, all 30 stories or more, in the Transbay Terminal area. The towers would be part of a mixed-use, transit-oriented neighborhood consisting of nearly 3,400 new housing units, nearly 1,200 of which would be available to very low-, low-, and moderate-income households. Office, hotel, and retail space are also planned around the $2.7 billion new terminal and Caltrain station. The terminal itself, along with construction of the Caltrain extension, won't be finished until 2011, and because of land-use issues related to the construction, the accompanying highrises can't be built until after that.

The Board of Supervisors is expected to consider adoption of the Transbay Redevelopment Project sometime this year.

Six highrises in the Transbay Terminal area are already in the pipeline, however. Construction began on one, Myers Development Corp.'s controversial Hemisphere project at 80 Natoma St., this spring. The 51-story residential tower stands in the path of the proposed new Transbay Terminal, and if built, would force substantial changes to the terminal project's rail lines. On June 7, the city issued a two-week stop-work order on the project, saying legal issues needed to be worked out.

Four other towers have been approved nearby. Two are office projects: Higgins Development Partners' 23-story tower at 524 Howard St. and Tishman Speyer's 555 Mission St. At 535 Mission St., developer Hines originally planned a 24-story office building, but now wants to construct 30 stories containing 251 condominiums. A fourth approved project, Millennium Partners' 301 Mission St., would combine 260 residential units with a hotel in 58 stories.

Market/Mission street corridor
A hodge-podge of residential, office and hotel towers are in the works along Market and Mission streets from about Third Street to 10th Street. Nearest completion is the St. Regis Museum Tower at Mission and Third streets. Developed by Trizec Properties and the Metropolitan Development Group and designed by architecture firm SOM, the 42-story tower will house 102 condo units, a St. Regis Hotel and an African-American museum. Completion is set for 2005.

Also under construction is the new Federal Building at Seventh and Mission streets, an 18-story environmentally-friendly office tower that should be finished next year. Nearby, plans have been approved for a 24-story city office building at 10th and Market streets, to be developed by Myers Development Corp. Nonprofit housing developers Citizens Housing Corp. and Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corp. will build an adjacent 21-story, 400-unit affordable housing project. Other approved projects include a 23-story residential project at 1160 Mission St., and 690 Market St., where eight floors will be added on to the historic Chronicle building to house condos and time-share units.

The most significant changes to the mid-Market skyline could come from Trinity Properties' proposed five-building residential complex at 1177 Market St. Four of the buildings will be 20-to-24-story towers containing 250 to 325 units each.

Other parts of the city
A smattering of other towers could join the highrise parade. Twenty-five years in the making, Shorenstein's 19-story 350 Bush St. office project was recently approved. Malcolm Properties recently proposed a 21-story, 120-unit residential tower at 631 Folsom St. And a 31-story InterContinental Hotel at 888 Howard St. has been approved. Other possible locations for building up? The Planning Department's Market and Octavia Better Neighborhoods Plan encourages slender residential towers on several sites around the intersection of Market Street and Van Ness Avenue, and California Pacific Medical Center, which picked up a site on Van Ness Avenue last year, may be thinking tall as it considers plans for a new medical center there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations