HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 2:57 PM

This is moving very slowly. They have playing around in that old garage for four or five months now. I hope we see something rising up soon. Murano is way ahead of RARC at this point.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 10:37 PM

10_1_06 - drive by...the crane

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:28 AM

Seems like more activity at RATR, at least the crane moving a lot more---does anyone have any of those pics looking down from nearby buildings to see what's happening down there?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 6:44 AM

emporis does indicate the RATR as Under Construction for the first time

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 7:24 PM

I'm kinda lost as to where this thing is. Still digging dirt? Pouring concrete? What's up?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 10:23 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Utility work underground and shoring up the remnants of the supports for One Meridian Plaza being used for this tower.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 12:52 AM

I hear should be rising out of the ground by mid-late December

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 8:28 PM

From 10/14. Lots of noise and activity, not too much visible progress.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 10:37 PM

section J of the sunday inquirer features the RATR on the front page, with some human interest story about CC condo byers

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 10:45 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

The story didn't interest this human.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 3:40 PM

Anyone else have trouble logging in yesterday? I would say yes based on the lack of postings on Philly V.

The Inqy had their usual fluff real estate piece, only this time, it provided some good info on the RATR. According to the construction manager, all work is being done underground and it won't be much longer til they start pouring the concrete for the foundation and the building begins to rise. That's the good news - a firm statement that this project is continuing.

What bothered me however, was that the article stated the building would rise 485'. That is a true dissapointment because i was under the impression it would be 30 feet higher. 30 feet may not seem like much, however it is enough to distinguish itself from the clutter of all the 480-490 footers in penn center. now, if this is true, RATR will just add to the clutter instead of rising above and making an impact on the skyline.

Finally, i must wonder if this building will be a giant Beaumont with an enormous blank wall facing what hopefully will become 1441 chestnut. in fact, unless someone knows otherwise, i think it is safe to assume that this is the case. figure Beaumont and 101 Walnut were built in that style because they were on property lines and maybe someone may build a nieghboring structure. in the case of RATR, a neighboring building is in the works (whether or not 1441 gets built, the location can't be beat and eventually something will be built). plus in a tower of that size, the $ savings of not having to put up a 4th glass wall must be immense. As for the property lines, these 2 plots are so small that there is no possible way that RATR doesn't abut the property line.

unlike the other two buildings on front street, i don't think that the concrete wall will be such a big deal. as mentioned above, it is inevitable that something will be built accross from the potential blank wall - that location is too good. whether it's another 2 years or 10 years, i don't think it will exceed that timeframe. and to put a positive spin on the concrete wall - if that is the case - once this building begisn to rise - it's going to fly; it will probably be finished faster than the murano.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 4:00 PM

Hopefully the 485' measurement given was just an outdated figure. That seems to happen a lot in news articles since journalists tend not to be height geeks like us when it comes to exact, updated figures.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 4:07 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Yes, I have to concur on the height figure. 518 feet was the figure after the final remodel of the building and as Late1 said figures like that are rarely updated as often as we would like.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 4:27 PM

i asked for an recieved the official marketing brochure that is given to perspective buyers. It states that the building will be 518 feet tall and have 48 stories.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane
Finally, i must wonder if this building will be a giant Beaumont with an enormous blank wall facing what hopefully will become 1441 chestnut. in fact, unless someone knows otherwise, i think it is safe to assume that this is the case.
The back wall is not so bad at all - more interesting than the front in may regards. Check out the model in the hotel lobby.

Quote:
plus in a tower of that size, the $ savings of not having to put up a 4th glass wall must be immense.
I'm not sure a blank wall (especially if is concrete) is cheaper than glass. Concrete is probably a lot heavier, more time consuming to build, and more labor intensive than prefab window panel installation.

Quote:
As for the property lines, these 2 plots are so small that there is no possible way that RATR doesn't abut the property line.
There is a small alley (Ranstead Street?) between the two parcels. So I assume they will be at least 20' -30' apart.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 6:54 PM

I believe the tower was specifically designed to deal with the small plot and close property line. In other words, I do not think there will be a blank wall on one side.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 8:55 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802
i asked for an recieved the official marketing brochure that is given to perspective buyers. It states that the building will be 518 feet tall and have 48 stories.
Not bad. Although I do not think this tower will make a great impact on the skyline. Perhaps an impact driving south on I-95 towards Center City.

-sb

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 9:23 PM
Philly Roots

Quote:
Anyone else have trouble logging in yesterday? I would say yes based on the lack of postings on Philly V.

The Inqy had their usual fluff real estate piece, only this time, it provided some good info on the RATR. According to the construction manager, all work is being done underground and it won't be much longer til they start pouring the concrete for the foundation and the building begins to rise. That's the good news - a firm statement that this project is continuing.

What bothered me however, was that the article stated the building would rise 485'. That is a true dissapointment because i was under the impression it would be 30 feet higher. 30 feet may not seem like much, however it is enough to distinguish itself from the clutter of all the 480-490 footers in penn center. now, if this is true, RATR will just add to the clutter instead of rising above and making an impact on the skyline.

Finally, i must wonder if this building will be a giant Beaumont with an enormous blank wall facing what hopefully will become 1441 chestnut. in fact, unless someone knows otherwise, i think it is safe to assume that this is the case. figure Beaumont and 101 Walnut were built in that style because they were on property lines and maybe someone may build a nieghboring structure. in the case of RATR, a neighboring building is in the works (whether or not 1441 gets built, the location can't be beat and eventually something will be built). plus in a tower of that size, the $ savings of not having to put up a 4th glass wall must be immense. As for the property lines, these 2 plots are so small that there is no possible way that RATR doesn't abut the property line.

unlike the other two buildings on front street, i don't think that the concrete wall will be such a big deal. as mentioned above, it is inevitable that something will be built accross from the potential blank wall - that location is too good. whether it's another 2 years or 10 years, i don't think it will exceed that timeframe. and to put a positive spin on the concrete wall - if that is the case - once this building begisn to rise - it's going to fly; it will probably be finished faster than the murano.
More people actualy see the belmont and 101 walnut because of 95.
Am I wrong to say no one has done anything about the blank wall behind the ritz hotel since the fire.
This building won't impact the skyline by a difference of 30 feet. Although i would like it to be a lot different then Penn Center, which i hate.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 3:39 PM

Ritz Wall

According to Jane Golden of the Mural Arts Project (on NPR 11/9), a huge mural for the 22 story Ritz Carlton wall is in the works!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 6:58 PM

[QUOTE=Am I wrong to say no one has done anything about the blank wall behind the ritz hotel since the fire.
[/QUOTE]
If you look at some of the renderings, it does show a restored wall. Not sure if that indicates the actual intentions of the developer or if the architect was drawing pretty pictures. But I am optimistic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive