HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:44 PM

the REM is a ''once in a lifetime'' transit project in Canada. If it wasn't for the Deux-Montagnes Line, the REM would not exist in its current form. The low cost of the entire project is in itself, incredible.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Jun 28, 2016 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 9:55 PM

Here was my original 2006 Ottawa metrO proposal (same principle as the REM in Montréal). This was to reuse the LRT assets instead of cancellation of the Siemens contract, and while waiting for a downtown tunnel to be constructed. The phasing can be seen as such.

The metrO logo was based on the city of Ottawa symbol and with a downwards arrow for the underground meaning.

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
the REM is a ''once in a lifetime'' transit project in Canada. If it wasn't for the Deux-Montagnes Line, the REM would not exists in its current form. The low cost of the entire project is in itself, incredible.
This what happens when you remove the governments from most of the decision making. The speed of which everything comes to fruition is astonishing.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Here was my original 2006 Ottawa metrO proposal (same principle as the REM in Montréal). This was to reuse the LRT assets instead of cancellation of the Siemens contract, and while waiting for a downtown tunnel to be constructed. The phasing can be seen as such.

The metrO logo was based on the city of Ottawa symbol and with a downwards arrow for the underground meaning.
It makes me sad that this isn't happening. It's so incredible.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
It makes me sad that this isn't happening. It's so incredible.
I had costed every section and was writing which section were underground, above ground, or surface, and had a detailed google maps on where the stations entrances were and lines were.

I still haven't digested that Ottawa went with trams instead of light metro vehicles. The city study justifying this was incredibly sad. (most studies are but this was to another level). The city actually accepted to double their operating costs, to 200M$ per year, instead of having a future underpass at Iris.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I still haven't digested that Ottawa went with trams instead of light metro vehicles. The city study justifying this was incredibly sad. (most studies are but this was to another level). The city actually accepted to double their operating costs, to 200M$ per year, instead of having a future underpass at Iris.
Oh you'll love this recent development then

As part of Phase 2 Iris will be grade separated.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Oh you'll love this recent development then

As part of Phase 2 Iris will be grade separated.
Oh god, so who got fired? Yeah, accountability...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Oh god, so who got fired? Yeah, accountability...
Thank God they came to their senses (partly) and decided to build the full system (Confederation Line, not Trillium) grade separated. That of course, takes out one of their rationales for the use of light rail; the possibility of running it surface along certain sections.

You should post your metrO on Ottawa's Dream Transit Thread.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:17 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ground breaking (aka political photo-op) at "Pimisi" (Algonquin word for "eel") station in Downtown Ottawa. Two updated renderings.

http://ottawastart.com/confederation...onquin-people/

The station will have an Algonquin theme. Note the chrome eel coming out of the aqueduct and the red poll-top donuts at the Booth Street entrances, Ottawa's tacky version of the famous and distinctive London Underground and Montreal Metro logo.

Well at least it won't try to use an M like most other metro transits

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 6:25 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
holy shit is this dumb. a lobbyist for some office building owner has succeeded in convincing the city that property values won't rise with the installation of rapid transit in front of their buildings. so the city has decided to spend hundreds of millions (article wasn't clear, is it $700 million more?) to bore a tunnel instead. i've looked at the calgary system, it's already at grade/elevated, so this one will make it worse?? the governments paying for it (we know it's not the city) should reject this and use the extra hundreds of millions on extra cars, another extension, etc.
Tunnel is easily the best option for the new Green Line. At grade is not a good choice at all as it involves crossing both the existing Blue and Red Lines (how you do that with 3 minute headways would be difficult) and also the CP rail Mainline and there is no way CP would let them do that at grade. Elevated isn't practical due to the number of +15 walkways DT which leaves underground as the best choice.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 7:51 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Thank God they came to their senses (partly) and decided to build the full system (Confederation Line, not Trillium) grade separated. That of course, takes out one of their rationales for the use of light rail; the possibility of running it surface along certain sections.

Or Great Canadian Transit Fantasies Thread

(shameless plug)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:

You can use my old ideas no issue. BTW, the O-Train connections are exactly where the MOOSE system wants to connect to the LRT.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 3:28 AM

Quote:
You can use my old ideas no issue. BTW, the O-Train connections are exactly where the MOOSE system wants to connect to the LRT.
Which is why it leaves me scratching my head. How would this work?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Which is why it leaves me scratching my head. How would this work?
Some DMUs (akin to the UP in Toronto) can actually use the railways as is. It's just to have some platforms. The suburban network in Montreal was actually relaunched cheaply with success from temporary platforms using old GO-Trains.

It's more of the financial aspects that leave me scratching my head. As for the rail network itself, there is lots of excess capacity in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Some DMUs (akin to the UP in Toronto) can actually use the railways as is. It's just to have some platforms. The suburban network in Montreal was actually relaunched cheaply with success from temporary platforms using old GO-Trains.

It's more of the financial aspects that leave me scratching my head. As for the rail network itself, there is lots of excess capacity in Ottawa.
The Trillium Line is at absolute capacity now. How can other trains share the route?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
The Trillium Line is at absolute capacity now. How can other trains share the route?
The trains don't share most of the Trillium route though. They cross at Conderation Heights to Bayview but that's it.

https://www.letsgomoose.ca/maps/

The use the reminder tracks won't be an issue. Again that shows the the LRT route should have used the South-East Transitway and liberate the O-Train corridor from Bayview for heavy trains.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 4:41 PM

Quote:
The trains don't share most of the Trillium route though. They cross at Conderation Heights to Bayview but that's it.

https://www.letsgomoose.ca/maps/

The use the reminder tracks won't be an issue. Again that shows the the LRT route should have used the South-East Transitway and liberate the O-Train corridor from Bayview for heavy trains.
So who is coordinating this with the city's plans? I think that is a basic requirement.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 4:53 PM

Quote:
So who is coordinating this with the city's plans? I think that is a basic requirement.
The trillium line is owned by the CP, I would like to know what kind of exclusivity contract they have with the city.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 5:13 PM

Quote:
The trillium line is owned by the CP, I would like to know what kind of exclusivity contract they have with the city.
I believe it is a temporal separation specified in the FRA waiver like San Diego and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I believe it is a temporal separation specified in the FRA waiver like San Diego and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail.
I meant more of OC Transpo's exclusivity to use the corridor, even during the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada