HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 2:03 AM

I was down in SM last night, too. But I was at the promenade, tho. But I remember hearing something about that particular event while I was in the area.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 7:58 PM

Even better when the Expo Line (or Aqua or Gold Line after the DTC or whatever it's going to be called) reaches 4th/Colorado!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 3:07 AM

This isn't a high-rise, but is still important. Many residents of Warner Center want the area to urbanize. There is a bit of fight as the Mayor and Councilman Zine are supporting a huge Costco with a gas station on the superblock that was supposed to be developed in a mix-used urban center.

Woodland Hills residents unhappy about development plan for Warner Center area

For years they were told a 31-acre parcel would be remade as a high-quality live-work project. Instead, Councilman Dennis Zine now says a Costco store and gas station are 'a done deal.' That has prompted some recall talk.

By Bob Pool, Los Angeles Times

October 4, 2010
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

Los Angeles City Councilman Dennis Zine was in a defensive mood when he walked into the crowded Woodland Hills middle school auditorium.

Half a dozen police officers stood at the ready outside the door. Inside, a standing-room-only crowd of 300 waited.

They were there to discuss development plans for the last major vacant area in Warner Center — the San Fernando Valley's version of high-rise Century City.

Residents were promised years ago that a high-quality combination residential and commercial project called the Village was being planned for 31 acres of an L-shaped parcel along Victory and Topanga Canyon boulevards.

Now, they were being told that a big-box warehouse store would anchor the site, not something resembling Fairfax's the Grove or Glendale's Americana at Brand shopping and residential plaza.

"It's a done deal," Zine had earlier told a group of neighborhood council leaders when he explained that a Costco store and gas station were coming to Warner Center.

That had been met with demands from some for Zine's recall. They complained that a bulky warehouse project would torpedo Warner Center's goal of being a model of where people both live and work.

Now Zine was standing before the Sept. 15 meeting of the Woodland Hills-Warner Center Neighborhood Council to do some damage control. Along with homeowners, the auditorium was packed with union members invited by the project's developer.

Residents were angry that more than half a dozen public forums about the Village had been staged yet the final version of the project plan had been switched without notice.

"It's a done deal — I stand by that comment," Zine told the crowd. "That meant I support them coming to this community. I'm trying to bring in jobs … tax revenue. I'm not telling Costco to go away."

It wasn't his idea to scrap the 360 units of residential housing that had been earmarked for the site, he said. He wasn't the one who decided to shrink the size of the hotel, office, shops and restaurant space planned for the Village, either.

That decision was made by Westfield Shopping Centers, which will develop the 31-acre parcel and which operates shopping malls north and south of the site, he said.

"It offends me when people criticize me" for trying to improve the community, said Zine. As for his recall: "I think it's absurd when you have a councilman trying to bring in jobs," he said.

But Zine blanched when a rendering of the proposed 147,000-square-foot Costco store was shown to the crowd. The picture showed the store's back wall extending about a block next to the Victory Boulevard sidewalk.

"That's not a done deal," Zine said, promising that residents would have a chance to review design plans before construction is approved.

Angry residents offered a list of 20 questions for Zine, Westfield and Costco, including why a more suitable "urban store" design wasn't being considered by the Issaquah, Wash., wholesaler and what the true financial gain to the city would be.

John Alderson, a development executive with Westfield, and Jackie Frank, a Costco executive, defended the planned $50-million store, which would occupy land leased from the shopping center company.

It remains unclear whether Costco intends to close an aging warehouse store it operates about 2 1/2 miles away in Canoga Park and transfer its 200 employees to the Warner Center store. Frank indicated that the new store will employ about 300 people.

In an interview later, Larry Green, senior vice president of development for Westfield, defended Costco as being "totally consistent to what we've done at Topanga with Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom." He said the scaled-down project proposal is also consistent with the earlier plans for the Village.

"We'd be nuts in today's market to build 500,000 square feet of residential. We still think we have a good amount of office space," Green said. Buildings that are adjacent to existing streets will allow for green space, pedestrian sidewalks and bikeways in the interior of the development, he said.

Westfield believes that the planned 16-pump Costco gas station's underground tanks can be engineered to accommodate the high water table in Warner Center. The station's placement at the corner of Victory Boulevard and Owensmouth Avenue will be "something that's nice and appropriate," he said. The project will allow for the removal of several vacant commercial structures in the area.

The high water table will preclude underground parking. Green said a parking structure will be built atop retail shops, and its look could be softened by covering it with an architectural facade.

Jeff Brotman, co-founder of Costco and its director of planning, did not respond to inquiries from The Times by phone and in writing as to whether his company had investigated other Warner Center locations. The former Catalina Yachts factory on Victory Boulevard is vacant, and residents say a large Litton facility on Canoga Avenue has been rumored to be on a closure list.

Also up in the air was the future of Costco's Canoga Park store on Roscoe Boulevard.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa may have had the answer when he traveled to Warner Center on Wednesday to meet with the Woodland Hills Homeowners Organization.

Villaraigosa told a group of about 50 that his understanding is that Costco will keep the Roscoe Boulevard store open as a "business Costco" outlet.

"They're going to get me riled" if they close it and simply transfer Canoga Park's operations to Warner Center, the mayor said. "I would not be for them closing that other one down. They'd have to do something with it. This was always an addition game, not a subtraction one."

Villaraigosa listened as residents bemoaned the loss of the original Village concept. "It was highly appealing, an absolutely fantastic proposal," one woman said. A man complained that Costco is only willing to let locals "pick the color" of the new building and weigh in on its landscaping.

"That would irk me, too," acknowledged the mayor.

Resident Peter Fletcher summed up homeowners' concerns.

"This is the last great superblock left in Woodland Hills," Fletcher told Villaraigosa. "This should be our town center — an area we could stroll through and meet our neighbors and have a true center to this town.

"We're not against Costco. We just want them to respect our community, to see the value of our community."

bob.pool@latimes.com

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:42 AM

I'd definitely rather have another Grove or A&B than yet another Costco.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 12:38 AM

Instead of a costco or something like the grove, how about a development that activates the sidewalk? You can even divide the property into a smaller grid.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 5:35 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Really? Villawhatever has done more for Los Angeles' transportation since probably Tom Bradley. Shit...if it wasn't for him falling off of his bike and breaking his elbow, there probably wouldn't be a CicLAvia which by all accounts was a huge success.
I did some volunteer work for CicLAvia, and can tell you that the event was planned out well before the Mayor's accident (which, oddly enough, happened while I was in Colombia for a ciclovía in Bogotá).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 12:32 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Many, MANY posts deleted for off-topic comments. This is not a forum to discuss politics, people. This is a forum to discuss projects and developments in the Greater Los Angeles area outside of downtown. And it is not a democracy. The next person to continue the political debate of Villiaraigosa's efficacy (or lack thereof) will take a not-so-optional leave of absence from the forum.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 12:44 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

To get things back on topic, here's some good news on the Crenshaw Line, which coincidentally ties in to the 30/10 Initiative. From the LA Times:

Federal loan to speed work on Crenshaw light-rail line

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s effort to accelerate construction of local transit projects advanced Friday when the federal government announced that it would loan $546 million for a planned light-rail project that would run from the Crenshaw district to a station near Los Angeles International Airport.

The assistance is the first federal commitment to the mayor’s so-called 30/10 initiative, which calls for speeding up the completion dates of 12 transit projects planned by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, including the Westside subway extension.

"This is a substantial down payment," said Villaraigosa, who was in Washington, D.C., recently to lobby for federal assistance. "The money will help create about 5,000 jobs, free up funds for other projects and allow us to move ahead at an accelerated rate."

The loan will cover more than a third of the planning and construction costs of the Crenshaw light-rail project, which is now estimated to cost $1.4 billion.

The proposed line would run about 8 1/2 miles from Exposition and Crenshaw boulevards to the Green Line station at Aviation Boulevard near LAX.

-- Dan Weikel

Source: Los Angeles Times LA Now Blog
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 8:37 AM

Now that the Purple Line is leaving out a potential "Pink Line" connection at Wilshire and La Cienega, the Crenshaw Line may be the answer to West Hollywood's transit connection.

So basically instead of connecting up to the Wilshire/Western or Wilshire La Brea Line, it would continue up San Vicente all the way up to the Beverly Center/Cedar Sinai, San Vicente/Santa Monica, Santa Monica/La Cienega, Santa Monica/Fairfax, Santa Monica/La Brea, then up to Hollywood/Highland.

This would essentially cover most of what is "LA" and you will not absolutely NEED a car to exist in CENTRAL LA anymore!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 9:30 AM
BANNED

^with the concentration of business, tourism, retail, and entertainment in that part of town it would be a big shame to see it getting mere lrt. the amount of traffic to and from weho sunset strip, santa monica blvd, melrose, beverly center, cedars sinai collectively justify one-seat hrt connections to the rest of the subway's current and planned destinations.

the only question is whether running trains from union station to this part of town would negatively impact headways at wilshire/vermont since we would now have three lines branching out of it. an alternative would be to create a transfer point at hollywood/highland

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 4:18 PM
Ascension

I'd love to see the Crenshaw Line connect with the 'Pink Line' (God I hate that) at Santa Monica and La Brea.

Btw...LA should start thinking about giving these lines names as opposed to colors. We used up all the cool colors and now are starting to head into the ugly colors.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 4:36 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Good news about the Crenshaw line but it should extend up La Brea, go underground at some point, and connect to the H&H red line station at Highland and Hollywood as well as connect to LAX to the south.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 5:30 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Good news about the Crenshaw line but it should extend up La Brea, go underground at some point, and connect to the H&H red line station at Highland and Hollywood as well as connect to LAX to the south.
That was pretty much what I had in mind. The line should travel underneath Hancock Park. Though I don't think the residents would like the idea of tunneling under their houses and mini vans.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 7:17 PM
BANNED

so as to avoid politics, I won't mention the "p" word that went oink, oink before it became meat and you hear about just before elections.

Crenshaw is why people vote against transit. Drive the route and put together a list of the all buildings over 2 stories; if you leave out the shopping center, you get about zero. Even better drive at rush-hour; you will immediately notice that traffic moves easily in each direction. In short: low density; low industry; no natural connection to the westside; doesn't actually go to LAX (people mover? when and funded how?).

And I agree that LRT north of Washington is a bad idea and north of Wilshire worse. Notice any LRT in central London, Paris, Manhattan? There used to be but they tore it up to improve transit and beautify the city.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 7:53 PM

The Crenshaw Line should go north on Fairfax and not La Brea. From Expo/Crenshaw, the line should continue north on Crenshaw then turn west on San Vicente (which has a large enough median to support an at-grade median) and then go underneath Fairfax to hit Little Ethiopia, Museum Row, the Grove, CBS/Farmers Market, and West Hollywood. Thereafter, it should go east on Santa Monica boulevard and either meet up with the Red Line at Hollywood/Highland or Sunset/Vermont. A Sunset Vermont connection will allow the train to continue further east to Silver Lake and snake back into downtown LA.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 12:49 AM

Sodha, Beverly Hills NIMBYs are fighting the Purple Line with their auto-centric lives. What makes you think they are possibly going to allow at-grade LRT down San Vincente?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:05 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ San Vicente and Fairfax is not within the Beverly Hills City limits. It's probably a mile or more from the border of LA/Bev Hills. They would really have no say in the matter.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post

Eventhough La Brea is a nice straight shot up north to Hollywood/Highland (with a 1 block east diversion to Hollywood/Highland at Hollywood blvd), the thing is there is no real destination on La Brea outside of Pinks (which is not really a trip generator) or Santa Monica/La Brea. This line needs to go on Fairfax. There, we will hit Museum Row (LACMA, BCAM and Peterson's), The Grove, CBS Studios, Farmers Market, and serve the center of West Hollywood. La Brea is a cheap diversion to where the line should really serve...and that's Fairfax. If anything, I would put La Cienega second to Fairfax; but definitely not La Brea.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Sodha: your revised route is a definite improvement, although still a little odd. Do you see some demographic connection between WeHo and Inglewood or Slauson that I'm missing? Has the WeHo community been screaming for a connection to Manchester or Vernon, or would they prefer BH, SM, Holywood?

And putting 20 (or is it 30?) miles of LRT winding from south of LAX through the westside to DT and beyond is hard to defend on any theory I can think of.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 11:32 PM
Ascension

Then why have public transportation at all if they don't connect neighborhoods despite income levels?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations