HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:33 PM

The name brand recognition of Alt isn't there. Never heard of them before yesterday. I'm not saying they are bad -- I'm just saying it's odd that such a great location wasn't able to attract a mainstream hotel. It just isn't a well-known brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What is Alt if not a mainstream hotel chain? They are located in several Canadian cities (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, Halifax, Quebec, with locations on the way in St. John's, Calgary and now Saskatoon)... would it really make a difference if they were affiliated with Starwood instead of Groupe Germain?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddStoon View Post
The name brand recognition of Alt isn't there. Never heard of them before yesterday. I'm not saying they are bad -- I'm just saying it's odd that such a great location wasn't able to attract a mainstream hotel. It just isn't a well-known brand.
Actually, its brand recognition is very high...we just haven't seen it in Western Canada. I have been fortunate to be able to travel extensively and have stayed at a few Alt hotels. Very European in design and interior styles. As has been already stated on here, a boutique type hotel. They may not be a Ritz, but will still be an excellent (and different, except for The James Hotel) addition to the hotel options in Saskatoon.

I have no problem with Alt being the hotel brand of choice, but still concerned with the overall renderings of the complete development. I was hoping to see more variation among the buildings, while still having a design link. Have to see how this all plays out....still really excited there has been an announcement, at least.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 7:10 PM

One of the articles from the past day (or was it the press release?) noted that there would be space inside the building for a restaurant - leased out and run independently of the Alt, I would assume.

As for the concerns about the rest of the project, we don't have a new rendering of the complete development. We have a shadow rendering in the Alt image that confirms little to nothing about what to expect. We know that the project is going to proceed in phases based on the market, and I highly doubt that the design or heights or any of those details of the next buildings are finalized. The principles are going to still have to be there though to get City approval I would expect - quality design, a great public space, restaurants/retail.

One step at a time.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 7:23 PM

Hope you are right Echoes, as based on the rendering the condo part of the project would only be slightly higher then the 15 storey hotel. That is a far cry from the originally proposed 27 storey condo!!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 7:45 PM

Well, not quite. Unless the arrangement of the buildings have changed, that ghost rendering would be of the middle building in the proposal - the office tower - not the 27 storey condo.

I would not take the Alt rendering as definitive of anything more than the Alt itself; ghost buildings are plunked in the background to provide context all the time.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:02 PM

My understanding of the renderings is that the building to the far right is the condo and the Alt is between it and the ghost buildings. But you are absolutely right....these are only renderings and focused on the Alt portion of the development.

Looking forward to the construction of the parkade beginning! Hopefully this spring!

Last edited by prairieguy; Jan 28, 2016 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:12 PM

ALT is a hotel. So the building on the right must be condos or office if ALT is the building in between.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
My understanding of the renderings is that the building to the far right is the hotel and the Alt is between it and the ghost buildings. But you are absolutely right....these are only renderings and focused on the Alt portion of the development.

Looking forward to the construction of the parkade beginning! Hopefully this spring!
The Alt is the hotel though. You're only seeing one "real" building in this latest rendering - although it somewhat appears like two different towers - they're attached, with hotel on the left portion (where the Alt logo is affixed), and condo units on the right portion (where the balconies are, closest to the river).

Then the ghost building on the left is what I would take to be a placeholder for the future office tower.

Source

So, if we go back to the rendering released years ago, the only building we're dealing with here (which is the combined Alt Hotel/Condo - just ONE building) is what is labeled as Building A below. As for Buildings B & C - we don't yet know - but time will tell.

Source

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:46 PM

We will agree to disagree. I know Sheraton. I know Hilton. I know Marriott. I don't know Alt. I also travel a fair bit and I haven't heard of them nor has most anyone else I've asked in the last day. Anyway, it doesn't matter. They are nice enough looking and inexpensive and they will fill a niche. Good on them.

Quote:
Actually, its brand recognition is very high...we just haven't seen it in Western Canada. I have been fortunate to be able to travel extensively and have stayed at a few Alt hotels. Very European in design and interior styles. As has been already stated on here, a boutique type hotel. They may not be a Ritz, but will still be an excellent (and different, except for The James Hotel) addition to the hotel options in Saskatoon.

I have no problem with Alt being the hotel brand of choice, but still concerned with the overall renderings of the complete development. I was hoping to see more variation among the buildings, while still having a design link. Have to see how this all plays out....still really excited there has been an announcement, at least.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 1:04 AM

Quote:
We will agree to disagree. I know Sheraton. I know Hilton. I know Marriott. I don't know Alt. I also travel a fair bit and I haven't heard of them nor has most anyone else I've asked in the last day. Anyway, it doesn't matter. They are nice enough looking and inexpensive and they will fill a niche. Good on them.
Good addition for Saskatoon. A fairly hip modern Canadian brand. Alt is a sister brand to Le Germain Hotels. I think it is a better option that a second downtown Sheraton or a Marriott or Hilton.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 1:10 AM

I've heard of ALT, but readily acknowledge that it's more well-known in larger centres of Eastern/Central Canada, and may not be as well-known to Saskatonians accustomed simply to US chains that are heavily marketed and ubiquitous throughout North America.

Hilton, Marriott, and Holiday Inn etc. are generic US brands that are in every city, and frankly they are nothing to write home about. Generally these chains build cheap crappy looking exteriors in order to maximize profit, as another poster has already pointed out regarding Holiday Inn's recent addition to Saskatoon's downtown.

As explained by other posters, ALT is more of a boutique hotel, similar to The James, and, in retrospect, most Saskatonians should be happy that ALT has chosen the city for its next location, as it's really a show of faith in the growth potential that they see in this market. It's actually a mark of distinction.

I've got a good feeling about this one, and don't think this will be the headfake which we've grown accustomed to regarding Parcel Y.
Of course, time will tell!

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:31 AM

I am not familiar enough with Alt to pass judgement as to the quality of hotel, what I am concerned about as much as the brand as this is the ideal place to have a mid to high end restaurant - which would be so neat to have it at the top of the hotel in this location - that with the information provided doesn't seem to mention a restaurant at all.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:37 AM

From the news release:

Quote:
The 15-floor Alt Hotel will be located northeast of the intersection of Spadina Crescent East and 2nd Avenue, in front of the Remai Modern Art Gallery and within walking distance of many of the city's other main attractions. All 155 guest rooms will offer beautiful views of the South Saskatchewan River. The property will also boast 4,000 square feet of meeting space outfitted with the latest technology, a fitness centre and space for a restaurant.
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...566739931.html

...it just doesn't say where. Ground floor, I would think. With a patio.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
From the news release:

Thanks Echoes - missed that.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 8:11 AM

Quote:
From the news release:

Great - this is pretty good news in general. I do wish there was a rooftop restaurant but it seems that has to wait.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:39 PM

In fairness to ToddStoon, I am now offering another opinion. I do know the ALT brand and have stayed at a few of their locations in Eastern Canada. As I stated, very much a boutique hotel with a European feel with ultra modern decor. Usually a small lounge for drink options with very basic canteen type service offering for food.

My "new" opinion on this is that the old Barry Hotel location would be the perfect fit for an ALT hotel location. I think a boutique style hotel offering in this up and coming trendy area would be perfect and further encourage independent development in that area. The parcel Y location may be better suited to those "major" American brands that offer a more traditional hotel offering that could be a bit higher end. That way, more services would be offered.

I did see a restaurant is mentioned, but I would assume it is not part of the ALT (as they just don't do that) and would be a space that will be leased to a restaurant chain or private offering. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as a restaurant with a river view of some kind is included!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 8:54 AM

Quote:
In fairness to ToddStoon, I am now offering another opinion. I do know the ALT brand and have stayed at a few of their locations in Eastern Canada. As I stated, very much a boutique hotel with a European feel with ultra modern decor. Usually a small lounge for drink options with very basic canteen type service offering for food.

My "new" opinion on this is that the old Barry Hotel location would be the perfect fit for an ALT hotel location. I think a boutique style hotel offering in this up and coming trendy area would be perfect and further encourage independent development in that area. The parcel Y location may be better suited to those "major" American brands that offer a more traditional hotel offering that could be a bit higher end. That way, more services would be offered.

I did see a restaurant is mentioned, but I would assume it is not part of the ALT (as they just don't do that) and would be a space that will be leased to a restaurant chain or private offering. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as a restaurant with a river view of some kind is included!
I think an ultra-modern but refined hotel complements what is just across the street. That area is turning into the entertainment and art quarter.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 2:46 PM

Quote:
The Alt is the hotel though. You're only seeing one "real" building in this latest rendering - although it somewhat appears like two different towers - they're attached, with hotel on the left portion (where the Alt logo is affixed), and condo units on the right portion (where the balconies are, closest to the river).

Then the ghost building on the left is what I would take to be a placeholder for the future office tower.

Source

So, if we go back to the rendering released years ago, the only building we're dealing with here (which is the combined Alt Hotel/Condo - just ONE building) is what is labeled as Building A below. As for Buildings B & C - we don't yet know - but time will tell.

Source
So from re-reading a few articles it sounds like there is only going to be one condo tower period, the one attached to the hotel in building A. Which means if they decide to say only go up 16 or 17 stories it is a significant decrease in residential space (which given the competition, and current markets is not surprising). The next 2 buildings are both supposed to be office space which means probably a 17 story tower and a shorter one. That is unless they are truly getting a lot of interest in the office portion maybe it will increase the size of that project? I dont know. I suspect we wont be getting a new tallest building, or even a contender with this project anymore. That said its a huge win, I really like the look of the renderings and still will end up being one of the largest privatly funded projects of its kind in Saskatoon.

Sorry for any spelling or punctuation mistakes. I am on my phone and havent had my coffee yet

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 9:40 PM

I would rather the site sit unused for another decade rather than settle with a less-than-flattering design for such a high profile, highly-hyped location and supposed springboard for downtown redevelopment. For me it's gotta be design #1, available public interaction #2, and height (new tallest) #3. If we can't get all boxes checked, then I have to pass and wait for something better.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 7:19 PM

I have such mixed feelings. I really did like the last renderings we had before this announcement. I liked the different, but complimentary, designs of the buildings and the very intentional build of a public plaza component linking the park space (and of course, the promise of the tallest building in Sask). BUT...we have waited so long, that I am also relieved to hear that we are finally going to see something built.

Having said that....once its built, that land is gone and is this truly the best we could have hoped for or expected? I don't have the answer to that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan