HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 10:19 PM
Registered Ugly

I lived downtown and had my car broken into. Nothing valuable in it whatsoever, nothing in sight, except for a power cord for my phone. Smashed window with a rock inside the size of a grapefruit. This happens in every city. Portland is not unique. In fact, coming from Michigan, I have to stop myself from bursting out laughing whenever someone I meet in Portland complains about crime (or the roads, for that matter). Ya'll got it just about better than anywhere for a city of its size. Sure, larceny is high, but violent crime is amazingly low.

The rule of thumb generally is: don't leave anything in your car worth more than crack.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 11:10 PM

People who complain about Portland's crime/homeless are either being disingenuous or have never lived in a large city before.

I spent eight years in Washington DC. That is a city with a crime/homeless problem.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrmor View Post
People who complain about Portland's crime/homeless are either being disingenuous or have never lived in a large city before.

I spent eight years in Washington DC. That is a city with a crime/homeless problem.
Yup I lived back there for 4 years--you didnt have to venture too far from the capitol to see the slums/homeless--especially around Georgia Ave

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:56 AM

I'm going to leave this thread now, as I know how these go on this board....

Again, it's apologists and relativists.....
Crime is worse in Chicago!
Murder is more prevalent in New York City...
Poverty is worse in Nairobi.

Yeah, I've been to those places.

I don't live in D.C.
I don't live in Detroit.
I live in Portland.

And I don't want my city to be like the others.

We can't keep making excuses like: 'break-ins and garbage everywhere, don't worry about it, it's not as bad as Albuquerque!...'

We can do better.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 7:16 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
I'm going to leave this thread now, as I know how these go on this board....

Again, it's apologists and relativists.....
Crime is worse in Chicago!
Murder is more prevalent in New York City...
Poverty is worse in Nairobi.

Yeah, I've been to those places.

I don't live in D.C.
I don't live in Detroit.
I live in Portland.

And I don't want my city to be like the others.

We can't keep making excuses like: 'break-ins and garbage everywhere, don't worry about it, it's not as bad as Albuquerque!...'

We can do better.
Are you doing better?

It is one thing to say you don't want to see something happen to the city and that something needs to be done, it's another thing to actually do something about it. If this issue is bothering you, I suggest the best way to deal with it is to help out in any way you can.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 9:04 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Are you doing better?

It is one thing to say you don't want to see something happen to the city and that something needs to be done, it's another thing to actually do something about it. If this issue is bothering you, I suggest the best way to deal with it is to help out in any way you can.
I continue to believe that the County's sale of the Wapato Jail was a big mistake. I have heard all of the excuses about no public transit access and no nearby social services. Somehow that did not stop the operation of a significant homeless shelter in Multnomah Village. I believe the City or County provided a shuttle bus to Downtown from Multnomah. Meanwhile Wapato was fully ready to use, housing the homeless that otherwise suffer on the streets through the winter.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I continue to believe that the County's sale of the Wapato Jail was a big mistake. I have heard all of the excuses about no public transit access and no nearby social services. Somehow that did not stop the operation of a significant homeless shelter in Multnomah Village. I believe the City or County provided a shuttle bus to Downtown from Multnomah. Meanwhile Wapato was fully ready to use, housing the homeless that otherwise suffer on the streets through the winter.
Agreed! And it's not like the houseless community hasn't already migrated into that neighborhood anyway. One just needs to Google news coverage of "Tweaker Island" and you'll get plenty of stories like this one: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...er_island.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:42 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I fully agree, I never bought the excuses that were given for Wapato. First, much of those services could have been provided on site with little need to commute to downtown. Plus any service needed downtown could have been provided through shuttle buses. It should have been the easy quick solution since it is ready to go rather than any other solution that could take years before we see the effect of it.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I fully agree, I never bought the excuses that were given for Wapato. First, much of those services could have been provided on site with little need to commute to downtown. Plus any service needed downtown could have been provided through shuttle buses. It should have been the easy quick solution since it is ready to go rather than any other solution that could take years before we see the effect of it.
If you have 600 homeless people in one place, services will come to them. Social services groups are always complaining about how dispersed and hard to reach the homeless are, scattered all over the city, under overpasses and in corners. This was a huge opportunity.

Did the county ever do an in depth study of the Wapato issue? Was that ever made available to the public?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 8:35 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
If you have 600 homeless people in one place, services will come to them. Social services groups are always complaining about how dispersed and hard to reach the homeless are, scattered all over the city, under overpasses and in corners. This was a huge opportunity.

Did the county ever do an in depth study of the Wapato issue? Was that ever made available to the public?
If they did, I have never heard about any study, I just heard the excuses why it wouldn't work.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:34 AM

I know it's revolutionary, but you can totally be street smart and have compassion for struggling humans at the same time. Call me crazy, but I leave nothing in my locked car and work to improve conditions for the homeless/show them compassion.

PS Every city in America has a homeless problem. It's weird, it's like the size of the city is related to the number of homeless people seen in each city. They might be connected, but I'm not really sure how.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:27 PM

OSU to move into Meier & Frank building downtown
Updated 3:19 PM; Posted 3:04 PM
By Anna Marum amarum@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...r_frank_b.html

Quote:
The vacant floors of the Meier & Frank building have at least one future tenant. Oregon State University announced Tuesday that it will occupy the second floor of the historic building in downtown Portland.

Its five bottom floors have sat empty since Macy's closed its doors this spring.

The Cincinnati-based retailer sold the floors to a California real estate investment group, KBS, for $54 million late last year. At the time, the group, KBS, told The Oregonian/OregonLive that it planned to redevelop the property into "a best-in-class" facility with street-level retail and creative office space.

According to OSU's announcement, the university will occupy the second floor's 39,509 square feet space beginning Aug. 1, 2018.
...(continues)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:57 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Which side of the building is going to be the main entrance for the office floors?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Which side of the building is going to be the main entrance for the office floors?
Probably one of doors on either side of The Nines entrance on Morrison. That's closest to the elevator bank.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
OSU to move into Meier & Frank building downtown
Updated 3:19 PM; Posted 3:04 PM
By Anna Marum amarum@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...r_frank_b.html

...(continues)
I can't imagine there'll be much problem leasing that space to creative and techies.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Morrison

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 8:47 PM

Design Advice Drawings [13 MB] and memo for alterations to the Wells Fargo building.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 9:07 PM

It's too bad they aren't planning to do anything to fix the atrocious parking entrance/exit on the west block. I know that's no easy feat, but it really destroys the street frontage.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 9:08 PM

...or remove the sky bridge.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
It's too bad they aren't planning to do anything to fix the atrocious parking entrance/exit on the west block. I know that's no easy feat, but it really destroys the street frontage.
Getting rid of the giant ATM driveway and creating a new front will enhance the streetscape. There's not much else that can be done as the tower has the sunken moat and the side building was built as a vault and check printing operation so it doesn't respond to the street at all on the other three sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
...or remove the sky bridge.
I love that skybridge. I've packed my lunch many of times and sat up there and ate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland