HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Contract is Signed for New Canadian Forces C-17's

Bravo Harper!!!

Canada's New Government Delivers for Canadian Forces: Awards Contract for Strategic Airlift

Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada - February 2, 2007

OTTAWA — The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, Minister of National Defence, together with the Honourable Michael M. Fortier, Minister of Public Works, and the Honourable Maxime Bernier, Minister of Industry today announced The Boeing Company has been awarded the contract to supply strategic airlift aircraft to the Canadian Forces.

The agreement fulfills a commitment by Canada's New Government to pursue defence procurement initiatives that equip and strengthen our military and provide economic benefits across the country.

“Canada's New Government is dedicated to meeting the urgent needs of our Canadian Forces,” said Minister O'Connor. “Today's announcement is the first step to ensure that our dedicated men and women in uniform have the equipment they need.”

“Our government has delivered on our commitment to fair and open procurement and to our Canadian Forces,” added Minister Fortier. “While ensuring a win for the Canadian Forces, we have done that in a way that ensures Canadian taxpayers get the best value for their money.”

“We have worked hard to deliver real benefits to Canadian industry as a result of our defence procurements,” said Minister Bernier. “This agreement represents tremendous opportunity for Canadian companies to compete and stay at the forefront of the global industry.”

Canada's New Government is purchasing four strategic lift aircraft to provide rapid, reliable and flexible transport of large amounts of passengers and equipment over long distances in response to domestic emergencies and international crises. This strategic lift capability will be a “Canada First” asset – to be used on our own terms and at times of our own choosing. Canada will no longer have to join the international queue, negotiating against other countries for scarce commercial options, to fulfill its responsibilities. At home, Canada will be better able to protect Canadians from coast to coast to coast, including domestic response capabilities and reaching out to all our communities, including in the Arctic.

Strategic airlift will also enhance Canada's ability to provide humanitarian assistance in any part of the world, as well as increase our disaster assistance response capability. It will ensure that our Canadian Forces in Afghanistan receive the supplies and equipment they need to get the job done.

“These new aircraft will have an immediate impact on how we can support operations,” said General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff. “They will increase our capacity to cover vast distances with bigger loads, fewer crews and less stopovers. In addition, they will alleviate some of the workload carried out by our aging Herc fleet and that which we paid to lease.”

The acquisition of these aircraft has been conducted through a competitive process known as an Advance Contract Award Notice (ACAN), which identifies the Government's intention to contract with a specific supplier and also gives all potential suppliers the opportunity to demonstrate that they also can meet the Canadian Forces' mandatory capabilities for strategic airlift.

Under Canada's procurement policy, contractors must undertake quality economic activities in advanced technology sectors of the Canadian economy. These activities must be an amount equal to 100% of the contract value. Boeing has already identified more than $570 Million in contracts and in late-stage negotiations with Canadian companies from coast to coast, and the company will announce details of these contracts in the coming weeks.

Canada's New Government is working to ensure that these procurements deliver maximum, high-quality economic benefits to Canada, and that Canadian firms are well positioned to play significant roles as these projects progress. The estimated total cost for this strategic lift aircraft project acquisition is $1.8 billion, plus an estimated contract value of $1.6 billion for 20 years of in-service support.

After following the proper procurement process, future contracts will also be awarded for tactical airlift, medium-to-heavy-lift helicopters, joint support ships and medium-sized logistics trucks. For each of these contracts, companies will be required to invest in the Canadian economy dollar for dollar what they receive from procurement contracts, resulting in approximately $13 Billion in opportunities for Canada's aerospace and defence industry.

Fantastic news for our Armed Forces. Now the Super Herc's and Chinook's are next.

Last edited by Migs; Feb 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:26 PM
Mooderator

I know some people at Boeing in Winnipeg that are gonna be smiling!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:29 PM

Good news!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Here is an artists rendering of what the C-17 will look like in Canadian markings.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:12 AM
BANNED

its not like its gonna be built there, but in California.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek View Post
its not like its gonna be built there, but in California.
Yup they are going to be built in Long Beach California with Boeing re-investing in the advanced technology sectors of the Canadian economy. Nothing but great news for this LONG overdue procurement.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:26 AM
mañana is my busiest day

I hate to rain on the parade, but why the hell do we need those monsters? Primarily to fly around the world and enforce US foreign policy?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:34 AM

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:42 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
I hate to rain on the parade, but why the hell do we need those monsters? Primarily to fly around the world and enforce US foreign policy?
There aren't enough of these in the world to respond to that comment.

The Canadian Forces needs these to have control over its own deployment to trouble spots around the world, rather than relying on rentals and leases that may or may not be available when necessary. Remember when it took DART two weeks after the Boxing Day Tsunami to deploy to the area, or a similar amount of time to deploy to Pakistan after that major earthquake? If we'd had these C-17s then, we could have had our troops on the ground where they were needed most within two or three days.

They will also help with the mission in Afghanistan, which once again, is not enforcing US foreign policy but rather carrying out a UN sanctioned mission of security and rebuilding in that war torn country.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:44 AM
I am a typical

Actually, we use them to help with our peace keeping missions and so that the Disaster Releif Team can get around the world without having to as Big Brother America for a lift.

In short, it's making us more independent, and giving a big boost to our peace making and humanitarian efforts globally. To say it's enforcing US foreign policy is wrong and anti-American. That simple isn't what they are for.

Might I remind the public that the democratically elected government of Afghanistan and a good many of their people want us to help them fight the Taliban.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
There aren't enough of these in the world to respond to that comment.

The Canadian Forces needs these to have control over its own deployment to trouble spots around the world, rather than relying on rentals and leases that may or may not be available when necessary. Remember when it took DART two weeks after the Boxing Day Tsunami to deploy to the area, or a similar amount of time to deploy to Pakistan after that major earthquake? If we'd had these C-17s then, we could have had our troops on the ground where they were needed most within two or three days.

They will also help with the mission in Afghanistan, which once again, is not enforcing US foreign policy but rather carrying out a UN sanctioned mission of security and rebuilding in that war torn country.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:55 AM
mañana is my busiest day

^^^LMAO

Actually, I was mainly trying to stimulate discussion (Devil's advocate)... I thought The Chemist's answer was pretty good even though I do think Harper kowtows to Bush to a significant degree.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:11 AM
I am a typical

How though? There hasn't really been that much sucking up that I've seen. They haven't even mentioned the US much, it's mostly been liberal bashing and sucking up to Quebec.

What's so bad about sucking up to the US anyway? They are by far the richest and most powerful country on earth. It can't be that bad can it?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:28 AM

Where this shit will be built ?

Do not forget, God bless Canada!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:33 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post

Under Canada's procurement policy, contractors must undertake quality economic activities in advanced technology sectors of the Canadian economy. These activities must be an amount equal to 100% of the contract value.
I wonder what kind of "investments" they're going to do that are worth 13 Billions.
By curiosity, what kind of facilities do they have in Winnipeg? what is its main role?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 2:29 AM
BANNED

I hope the west will shut the fuck up now for those "stolen" cf18 contracts "given" to Bombardier since most of those investments will go to the tiny aerospace industry in winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 2:49 AM

Quote:
I hope the west will shut the fuck up now for those "stolen" cf18 contracts "given" to Bombardier since most of those investments will go to the tiny aerospace industry in winnipeg.
Don't bring the whole west into your argument.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 2:54 AM

It`s always the same old story in this country

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:01 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
How though? There hasn't really been that much sucking up that I've seen. They haven't even mentioned the US much, it's mostly been liberal bashing and sucking up to Quebec.

What's so bad about sucking up to the US anyway? They are by far the richest and most powerful country on earth. It can't be that bad can it?
Show me just one example where Canada's foreign policy (under Harper) has conflicted with that of the Bush administration.... then there was Canada's caving into the US on softwood lumber even though we spent millions to win the legal argument.

Under Bush, the US has refused to listen to any of its allies that have had significant issues with its policies and did only what it felt was in its own narrow self-interests.... and lets not forget the US is currently the most hated country on the planet. I for one, don't care for my country to be associated with some of its foreign policies. The US is getting it's comeuppance, and if Canada isn't careful with its policies.... so will we.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:02 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
come off it. it's not like quebec's getting nothing out of this deal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada