HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 3:44 AM
Change is good

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid1 View Post
To me they seem weird but that's just my opinion. Been to Vancouver many times (alot of great times) and hopefully these games can further put it on the international scene . My other question for the past few years is what are they going to do with the Vancouver Downtown Eastside during the olympics?
Oh, we'd probably lure all those homeless and drug addicts onto a bus bound for Calgary. j/k. Either that or we might build a giant retaining wall? Who knows. Maybe we could paint a red line around the entire neighbourhood and tell tourists and the media to stay out....everything inside the red line is lava.

Seriously, I do think there will be some sort of crackdown to get the homeless issue at least temporarily resolved. The provincial government has recently talked about opening permanent 24-hour shelters in the Downtown Eastside. And it's really needed. If you've ever watched the movie Dawn of the Dead, with all of the zombies crammed outside the mall, certain areas of the Downtown Eastside are basically like that at night.

The Vancouver Police has also begun shipping off criminals who are living on the street back to where they came from....I read somewhere that so far in the two weeks, four people have been flown back east where they will be charged for their crimes.

With regards to activists who will be trying to get the world's attention, I doubt the media would really give a care in the world with so much going on. The cameras wouldn't be pointed at their protests or at their attempts to crash Olympic events. The same thing happened in Salt Lake and Torino, and we hardly noticed anything going on (there was even a riot at Torino doing the Games when Condoleeza Rice visited the city).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
ahahaha, i love David Foster....would be an ideal tune (without singing) to play during the 2010 Closing Ceremonies parade of nations.

And omg, is that Lloyd Robertson??? Interesting how CBC has broadcasted almost every Olympic Games for Canada except the Games when Canada actually hosts them (excluding Montreal). CTV broadcasted Calgary, and with a bunch of other Canadian affiliates they are now broadcasting Vancouver with Rogers Sportsnet. 2,000 hours of coverage on like a dozen channels ranging from Discovery Channel, TSN, Sportsnet, Outdoor Life Network, MTV Canada, Muchmusic, A-Channel, CityTV, Rogers radio stations....it goes on and on.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Well, I wouldn't bank on another Western North American Winter Olympics for a very long time. We had Calgary in '88, Salt Lake in 2002, Vancouver in 2010....the most logical future option for Canada is really Quebec City. But I would think the Summer Games should now be Canada's main priority, so forget the Winter Games altogether. Perhaps Toronto 20???
You may be right about Quebec City, and it would be cool if they hosted as well. As for Toronto's chances, if Chicago wins the 2016 Olympics, it would hinder Toronto's chances of winning in either 2020 or 2024. Personally, I think their best chances are for 2024 or 2028 provided Chicago doesn't win the 2016 Games. I'd personally like to see Toronto host the games sometime in the next 30 years. They came up short in 1996 and 2008. The rumour is that they will make a bid for either the 2020 or 2024 Games though.

While I don't want to stray too far from the topic of the 88 Olympic reminiscing, but here is what I'd like to see:

2016: Rio de Janeiro (Chicago, Prague, Tokyo, Madrid, Baku, Doha also on shortlist)

2018: PyeungChang, South Korea (lost out to Vancouver for 2010)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 7:53 PM
Round Head

yes!!!!!!

Quote:
Eddie the Eagle to attempt ski jump at COP
Calgary Herald
Published: Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Just returning to Calgary wasn't enough for Eddie the Eagle Edwards.
Twenty years after his famed ski jumping exploits at the 1988 Winter Olympics, Eddie will apparently launch himself off the 90-metre ski jump tower at Canada Olympic Park Wednesday.

The 44-year-old, now a plasterer, flew in to Calgary from London Monday to take part in the city's anniversary celebrations.

"The Calgary Olympic Development Association (CODA) and Travel Alberta are pleased to invite news, sports and business reporters to a media conference to watch Eddie The Eagle Edwards officially arrive in Calgary by launching himself off the 90-metre ski jump tower at Canada Olympic Park for the first time in two decades," said a news release.

Eddie and a host of other stars from '88, including bobsledder Devon Harris, will also take part in a public celebration at COP Wednesday evening. Those festivities start at 5:30 p.m.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 2:32 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
I love that song!

The people at the beginning kinda reminded me of these folks

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 2:35 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Love these pictures of the oval construction:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:51 AM

It was 20 years ago today that the Games in Calgary opened.

not sure if this has been posted, but i thought it was pretty beautifully made. it's ABC's closing montage of their Calgary '88 coverage:
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 3:03 PM

Quote:

not sure if this has been posted, but i thought it was pretty beautifully made. it's ABC's closing montage of their Calgary '88 coverage:
[youtube]3m8X11FxrEw[/youtube

those things always choke me up!

thanks for posting that.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 3:50 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

those things always choke me up!

thanks for posting that.
Same here mate!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 3:58 PM
Round Head

Quote:

Video Link
Great find. That was wonderful.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:19 PM

It really is amazing how far this city has come since 88. We were a relative unknown, even in Canada and only had 650 000 people, now we are an economic powerhouse, have over 1 000 000 people and are known pretty much all over the world.

I also find it funny that the "teepee" that housed the torch is now a landmark in Medicine Hat.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I love that song!

The people at the beginning kinda reminded me of these folks
That's the first thing I thought of. I was even going to post the same clip.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:18 PM
Community Guy

in the last bit of that it looks like they are doing fireworks off the top of towers...why dont they do that more often?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 3:45 AM
Round Head

That David Foster song is one of the most memorable things from the Olympics. A cheesy song, but it just makes gives me a lot of nostalgia. Those candles too I can remember like yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 6:24 AM
Round Head

Some really cool clips on the CBC archives on the games.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-41-1322...olympic_games/

This is an audio clip from 1981 about Calgary winning the bid. Exciting to hear them announce it.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1373...pic_bids/clip3

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
That David Foster song is one of the most memorable things from the Olympics. A cheesy song, but it just makes gives me a lot of nostalgia. Those candles too I can remember like yesterday.
I didn't care much for the song myself and it was way over played. I remember the great atmosphere in the city that the games created and the fabulous Cirque du Soleil show running at the Jube. Most Calgarians, myself included didn't have a clue about Cirque so it was one of the few cultural events that didn't immediately sell out and we were lucky to pick up tickets just before the games started.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:34 AM

The David Foster song was way better than the POS "Neighbors of the World."

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
That David Foster song is one of the most memorable things from the Olympics. A cheesy song, but it just makes gives me a lot of nostalgia.
The synthesizer in the background makes it sound quite dated, and the lyrics were pure cheese, but on its own, without the lyrics, without the synth track, I think it's quite good.

This performance for example in Japan in '94, although only six years after the Olympics, eschews the synth for a full orchestra, drums and guitar, and it's all the better for it.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:52 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Foster rocking the "guitar face" in that vid is Money!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy