HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:31 PM

It appears to be shorter, in the new renderings, and what happened to all of the trees?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Their letter dated April 8, 2015 said they had presented designs in January and had gotten feedback and presented new designs on March 9, and it made reference to the fact that they were adding the public overlook, etc. The part about the pubic overlook wasn't part of the January presentation. Since what I'm calling the "new renderings" are still part of the stuff (including the public overlook) they sent to the WPAB in April, I'm assuming they are the current proposed design.

That's my interpretation, but I could be wrong.
That makes sense to me, and I hope the new renderings are the latest. But both version are pretty sweet.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
It appears to be shorter, in the new renderings, and what happened to all of the trees?
I count four more floors in the new renderings than the old renderings, and that's another reason to believe the new renderings are indeed the current ones. I was wondering the same thing about the greenery. I just hope 70 Rainey doesn't drop the greenery from their current renderings.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:05 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I love both designs and don't care which happens -- either way it's going to be beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:08 PM

It appears that the building directly south of Austin Proper is more conceptualized in the new rendering considering the Google building in this rendering is final. I wonder if the last building in this development will look very similar to what is shown here.

Old rendering

New rendering

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:17 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I am liking the fact that it isn't identical massing to Northshore. I loathe twins in small to medium size skylines, and these are in a prominent location.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:37 PM

I hope it's not a twin, either. I remember that one rendering where it did show twin towers.

Link to big photo I found on Google

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 5:22 PM
Member since 2001

The old rendering and new rendering depict the same number of floors. Also, it looks as if this tower will be in a similar height range as 500 West Second (~400').

I actually like the new renderings.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 8:24 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Their letter dated April 8, 2015 said they had presented designs in January and had gotten feedback and presented new designs on March 9, and it made reference to the fact that they were adding the public overlook, etc. The part about the pubic overlook wasn't part of the January presentation. Since what I'm calling the "new renderings" are still part of the stuff (including the public overlook) they sent to the WPAB in April, I'm assuming they are the current proposed design.

That's my interpretation, but I could be wrong.
Ooh la la

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 8:48 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Ooh la la
Ditto to that. Austin still doesn't have a respectable public observation deck, other than a few hotel dining rooms. What would be interesting is to have a public observation deck in a building that fronts one of the major capitol view corridors. The view would be stunning with the Capitol framed by a wall of high rises as seen from hundreds of feet up. The corridor fronting The Bowie, The Monarch, Seaholm and The Independent would be perfect for such a space.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 9:07 PM

This public overlook is nothing to get excited about based on the presentation with the new renderings. It's just the sidewalk in front of the hotel with a bench to sit on as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Ooh la la
Talk about a freudian typo. I meant public, not pubic.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 10:20 PM
Meh

lol

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 10:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
My interpretation is that the newer renderings are stripped of most of the vegetation in order to strictly show the structure and the most elemental aspects of its environment. Notice they faded out the trees along the creek as well. I think they're just presenting a clean rendering of the building itself. This may be wishful thinking, however. The greenery is an enormous enhancement to this design, so it's hard to imagine they'd just ditch it, especially with Austin trending green in its general philosophy. Eventually, buildings in climates like this may be required to have white roofs or rooftop gardens, at least in the more progressive cities. Hmm... I guess Austin is the ONLY progressive city in a hot climate in the US.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 10:38 PM

I actually posted those new renderings a while back. Can't remember where, though. Probably on the main Austin forum.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 10:45 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

They also faded out the 2nd Street bridge arches.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
The pool is gone as well.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
Pretty sure that there's still a pool there, just that it isn't in the rendering. Pools are standard hotel fare.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 1:31 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
Well, it's pretty clear what's happening here. The Proper developer is Satan. We all know the devil takes on wily disguises, and how better to hide your identity than with a name like Proper? What is happening here is that Austiniites, such as all of you gung-ho mammon worshipers, have sold the city's soul to the devil in exchange for getting the Proper. As that tower of Babel is built, everything you know and love about the city will be gradually erased.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 2:03 AM
World Traveler

The Tower of Babel was taller than anything man had previously built...so let's give that one to Dubai or Shanghai, haha.

Regarding the Public (not pubic) Overlook in the design - that's really underwhelming. I would love to see a really tall point tower with a quality overlook at the top. Utilizing a CVC for this would be great, having a tower build right on the edge of it to where folks could look up and down the corridor. A 360 degree view would be great, too, if possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin