HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 11:13 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
So what if there is, your still in Leduc. The appeal of YXD is that it is in Edmonton and not Leduc... but you already knew that.

The fixed-rate taxi fares also only apply to the mail terminal, so your in for a prison rape taxi fare arriving at an FBO.

HAHAHAHAHAHA oh god your so grasping at straws now that all your other points have been debunked.
I guess by the same token - you call YVR the Richmond International rather than Vancouver International. And you call YYZ the Mississauga International rather than the Toronto/Pearson International... and the Dorval International rather then the Montreal International airport. etc, etc. Catching a cab from any of these airports to their respective downtowns cost about the same as it does here in Edmonton.
Leduc is part of the Edmonton Capital Region, but you already knew that.
The distance between the airport and downtown Edmonton is very similar to many cities in north america and around the world.

Let me know when the Calgary City Center Airport opens up, we can discuss keeping the Edmonton City Center Airport open at that point.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 11:16 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Ah neat, I didn't realize that, thanks!

I gotta agree with an earlier comment - it's almost eerie to never see a plane flying low over Edmonton. You just get used to it in most cities. That being said, it's a bit of a plus in my books. I enjoy planes but in a busy city the noise can get very irritating after a while. It's why I couldn't stand living in Calgary's NE. We're below a flight path where I am but the planes are relatively high, and it still bothers me some days.
Living over the approach for 16/34 in Edmonton has gotten a lot more quiet lately, as they've now shut down this runway, as phase 1 to total airport closure. At times, I can see planes flying over the southside, turning into the approach for the EDMONTON International airport.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 12:32 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA oh god your so grasping at straws now that all your other points have been debunked.
Grasping at straws, you are the one suggesting that an FBO at YEG is a suitable replacement for flights to YXD.

Quote:
I guess by the same token - you call YVR the Richmond International rather than Vancouver International.
YVR has the Skytrain, 20 minutes to downtown for $6.25

Quote:
And you call YYZ the Mississauga International rather than the Toronto/Pearson International...
Toronto has the Toronto Island Airport and in five years will have Metrolinx service from YYZ to Union Station. What is the time table for the LRT to YEG? Oh yeah, there isn't one.

Quote:
and Dorval International rather then the Montreal International airport. etc, etc.
Oh yeah, Montreal built an airport in the middle of nowhere too, whatever happened to that place? Mira something?

And I can't recall my last $50+ taxi fare to get from any of those airports downtown. YUL was about $30, YYZ is irrelevant for the sake of argument because of YTZ and I think YVR was about $25 - but then there is the skytrain. YEG has the "SkyShuttle" a glorified hotel shuttle which would be considered embarrassing to most cities of 50,000 people.

And before Edmonton Airports fucked over Quikair it took about 10 minutes to get from downtown to their "terminal", the FBO's on the S.W. corner of YYC might as well be a downtown airport.

YEG is NOT a convenient point for regional travel to downtown Edmonton while YXD is unparalleled and existing. People had it better and it is being taken away in an unprecedented land grab both in its potential cost and total absence of planning.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 12:53 AM
Change is good

City center airport is closing better pull up your panties and get used to it. Ita the direction the majority of edmontonians want and your opinion doesn't count

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 1:20 AM
Inflatable Hippo

and I will be there to point and laugh at the worlds most expensive vacant lot.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 5:34 AM

Quote:
isnt that what we already do?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 6:13 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
I don't think anyone is expecting the entire parcel to be developed immediately. Besides, better the land makes no money than lose money, which is the current situation.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
better the land makes no money than lose money, which is the current situation.
Yup.

Like Ken Cantor said, even if that airport was only made into the world's biggest off-leash dog park Edmonton would be farther ahead.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 8:56 AM

I can't believe people both from Edmonton and outside the city actually want this airport to remain open? What are you people smoking? Can I have some please to understand your logic. Must be heaps good smoke!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 12:08 PM

because they are to shorted sighted to see the error in their logic

oh yeah and they are probably corporate execs who dont want to loose their personal airport.

I must say that, if this airport stays open, this is further proof that corporate interests have way to much influence over government, and that people are to easily manipulated by these interests.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 4:25 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyedm View Post
that corporate interests have way to much influence over government,
So the real estate schemers who have been lusting after this land for thirty years are not "corporate interests"?

The city writing a blank cheque on your behalf with no obligations, assurances or plan seems like a whole lot if influence to me.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 5:14 AM
Change is good

Where this blank cheque coming from? The airport doesn't even make enough money for it's upkeep... Close the damn thing.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 5:25 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
So the real estate schemers who have been lusting after this land for thirty years are not "corporate interests"?
Well, apparently....

Quote:
they don't exist.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 8:53 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Where this blank cheque coming from? The airport doesn't even make enough money for it's upkeep... Close the damn thing.
Only because arbitrary restrictions have been imposed on it because of the paranoid delusions of Edmonton Airports. Left to its own devices it would flourish again.

It isn't a drowning when somebody is holding your head under water, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The very people who claim the airport is nonviable are the people who did everything in their power to make it that way.

Build a sixty foot wall around an Olive Garden franchise and it will probably perform poorly too.

At least be honest about what is taking place here, this is an orchestrated land grab. The fact it is an airport doesn't come into it. Developers want cheap land and Mandel is going to deliver to his only constituency. Everyone else is just a useful idiot.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 1:13 PM

the city of edmonton is "grabbing" land that should have been part of the city 30 years ago.

Land developers are corporate interests. However what they want to do with the land will be hugely beneficial to this city for years and years and years. increase tax revenue, a whole new neighbourhood, expanded NAIT. These things will only be good for the city.

The financial reasons you mention are very short sighted, and I keep thinking of the 23rd avenue interchange when you bring that up.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:29 PM
Change is good

the airport is drowning because WE the CITIZENS of Edmonton want it closed, and are tired of pandering to the needs of Calgarians who want a quick in/out, and won't support our city at all by doing so. Access is fine through the international, just like its fine through the Calgary International.

Now if you would please butt out of our business, please and thank you, Policy Wonk (Calgarian)

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:56 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Developers want cheap land and Mandel is going to deliver to his only constituency
More AEG talking points. What's funny is that mopst of the forces behind EE and their campaign of self-interest are developers in some form or another themselves.

Oh, and your convenicence argument regwrding YEG is totasl BS. You wonder why so many here hate Calgarians interferance in Edmontons' business... it's becuase of people like you & your contemptuous attitude. It ain't all about you, champ.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 3:21 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
More AEG talking points. What's funny is that mopst of the forces behind EE and their campaign of self-interest are developers in some form or another themselves.

Oh, and your convenicence argument regwrding YEG is totasl BS. You wonder why so many here hate Calgarians interferance in Edmontons' business... it's becuase of people like you & your contemptuous attitude. It ain't all about you, champ.
is EE's Allard the greenfield land developer? The Allards are one of the biggest suburban developers in the city and probably one of the biggest land holders of future suburban development. It would be pretty rich to see them leading this foolish charge to keep the airport open.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 3:24 PM

Quote:
At least be honest about what is taking place here, this is an orchestrated land grab. The fact it is an airport doesn't come into it. Developers want cheap land and Mandel is going to deliver to his only constituency. Everyone else is just a useful idiot.
Wait, let's explore this... did the other 9 councillors who also voted in favor of closure get bribed by Mandel, or do they simply get a cut from the sale of this land?

(All this shady conspiracy talk is making my knickers wet...)

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 3:29 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
is EE's Allard the greenfield land developer? The Allards are one of the biggest suburban developers in the city and probably one of the biggest land holders of future suburban development. It would be pretty rich to see them leading this foolish charge to keep the airport open.
I wouldn't even call him a developer... more like a speculator

The family has a ton of land downtown too... parking lots aplenty. Anyone who thinks that the Allards have Edmontons' best interest in mind is a fool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton