HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:55 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Yeah. That title is a bit misleading though. At first I just read the title and I was thinking that was a pretty big price spread for an estimate, but after reading the article I'm curious to see how they handle that. I wonder if they'll do a mix and match. I wouldn't mind seeing a few newer street cars, but if the lines will remain the same and aren't extended then I'd rather them simply rehab the existing trolleys, especially if their budget doesn't grow any. I couldn't imagine the upkeep for a modern street car; especially one that runs the current route of the existing trolleys with not much activity.

I guess they really do rely on tourists riding the trolleys because most of the time that I see them there aren't many people one them. Occasionally people downtown would take them to lunch, but I would always walk unless I was going all of the way down to South Main or somewhere.
I've seen some pretty crowded Trolleys on normal weeknights and weekends, and especially when events are happening. I've noticed scheduling has been better too lately, but alas. 1.3 million passengers per year. According to the most recent documents I could find from MATA, ridership on bus routes dipped 8% from 2004-2009 but increased 13% during the same time on the Trolleys. I know we've seen publications since regarding continued increased ridership on the streetcars. Currently it accounts for AT LEAST 9% of MATA's daily ridership, probably more, covering a very limited footprint. I'd say it's worth investing in.

Personally, I think the Main and Riverfront lines should retain "Heritage" streetcars, but I'd like to see modern ones on the Madison line. Part of the problem with the Madison line is the lack of investment that has occurred that typically accompanies a light-rail line, and I think that has to do with it looking and functioning like a clunkering old tourist toy (operating where tourists don't want to go). Making that a modern line with clear timetables should change that image. I think it'd be a good identifier for the Medical Center in particular and help with establishing the identity of the "Innovation District" they want to create there. The whole point of the Madison line was to be a "starter" for an expanded light-rail option, and the use of Heritage streetcars on it was always meant to be temporary. I also think doing that hurt its purpose, image, and functionality.

I'll probably not get what I want, but a kid can dream.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 7:08 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
Personally, I think the Main and Riverfront lines should retain "Heritage" streetcars, but I'd like to see modern ones on the Madison line. Part of the problem with the Madison line is the lack of investment that has occurred that typically accompanies a light-rail line, and I think that has to do with it looking and functioning like a clunkering old tourist toy (operating where tourists don't want to go). Making that a modern line with clear timetables should change that image. I think it'd be a good identifier for the Medical Center in particular and help with establishing the identity of the "Innovation District" they want to create there. The whole point of the Madison line was to be a "starter" for an expanded light-rail option, and the use of Heritage streetcars on it was always meant to be temporary. I also think doing that hurt its purpose, image, and functionality.

I'll probably not get what I want, but a kid can dream.
There might be a slightly better chance than we think. I think it would all depend on the amount of funding that MATA would receive and that funding might be based on their intent to extend the Madison line further or to propose a new line that would better accommodate those who would regularly use public transportation here (that's probably a long shot). I don't think that they would mention the possible use of street cars if they weren't at least seriously considering a study on their use and upkeep alone (I guess they could blow hot air about their price to convince people rehabbing the old trolleys is the best bet). The price tag for them is pretty steep, but in the long run it's a good investment that overall will improve the perception of public transportation in Memphis; a regular bus, hybrid bus, smart bus, whatever bus just doesn't do that, IMO.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 7:32 PM

There's an article in the Memphis bizjournal about Beale Street expansion, tourism and growth, how it's about to burst at the seams with development and proposals. Mentions the city trying to get a HRH as part of the new HR Cafe development. If anyone has an account could they post it, or parts of it here? http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...r-tourist.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 7:39 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Well this isn't encouraging:

One Hundred North Main owes $55K in back taxes

Quote:
The owners, led by developer Isaac Thomas, plan to spend $100 million renovating One Hundred North Main for apartments and a hotel, as I first reported back in March. Since then, Thomas has been in talks with several developer partners, but hasn't returned multiple calls seeking an update.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...ack-taxes.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 7:43 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
There might be a slightly better chance than we think. I think it would all depend on the amount of funding that MATA would receive and that funding might be based on their intent to extend the Madison line further or to propose a new line that would better accommodate those who would regularly use public transportation here (that's probably a long shot). I don't think that they would mention the possible use of street cars if they weren't at least seriously considering a study on their use and upkeep alone (I guess they could blow hot air about their price to convince people rehabbing the old trolleys is the best bet). The price tag for them is pretty steep, but in the long run it's a good investment that overall will improve the perception of public transportation in Memphis; a regular bus, hybrid bus, smart bus, whatever bus just doesn't do that, IMO.
I'm hopeful but not holding my breath-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
There's an article in the Memphis bizjournal about Beale Street expansion, tourism and growth, how it's about to burst at the seams with development and proposals. Mentions the city trying to get a HRH as part of the new HR Cafe development. If anyone has an account could they post it, or parts of it here? http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...r-tourist.html
Saw that- they had the whole article up at one point and I should have posted it then. Mentioned when Sweetie Pies opens the district will be at 100% occupancy.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 7:50 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Well this isn't encouraging:

One Hundred North Main owes $55K in back taxes

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...ack-taxes.html
How does one plan a $100 million project but can't pay $55,000 in taxes? To plan $100 million worth of anything I would assume a decent amount of capital would be sitting around to cover things like taxes and the light bill.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
How does one plan a $100 million project but can't pay $55,000 in taxes? To plan $100 million worth of anything I would assume a decent amount of capital would be sitting around to cover things like taxes and the light bill.
Yea, that does sound fishy. Maybe the article isn't accurate? Or, maybe the developer is one of those kinds who doesn't report certain earnings to get more money back from taxes.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 12:04 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Yea, that does sound fishy. Maybe the article isn't accurate? Or, maybe the developer is one of those kinds who doesn't report certain earnings to get more money back from taxes.
I actually looked at the entire list of properties and 339 S. Front is listed owing 33K to Shelby County and 30K to Memphis. Two summers ago I got to go through that warehouse and up onto the roof after it had been cleared out and I guess right before or after it had been sold, I'm not for sure, but I know that the owner(s) were trying to get a tax freeze and eventually historic tax credits for redevelopment. That might be the case with 100 N. Main. I never spoke to them, but I spoke to the person who was the property manager at that time.

On the other hand, the writer could have just done a search of properties in that area code that weren't on file as having paid their taxes. A tax exemption or freeze might still show up in a database as having not been paid. Idk.

I don't think either of these property owners would just not pay those taxes, especially after the amount of money they've spent on them.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 3:18 AM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

This has begun.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:57 AM

doomj, i read your post, and i found the same numbers on ridership for the trolley system, and the numbers earlier in early to mid 2000. also, the rise is ridership of the trolley. personally, i hear several comments, as i travel outside of the state, about the trolley system, how the visitor (s) like both the look of them and the ambiance. personally, i don't think that we should get into a pissing match on trying to spend $48 million dollars, just because that was the outcome of riverfront park. i don't really know if the cobblestones are paid for yet or not. nevertheless, do i feel that the trollies should be axed or modernized w/ new buses, etc. to me, that defeats the entire purpose, and at a crucial time when the growth of downtown is meeting many of its goals, and is a drawing ticket for downtown. eventually, we might be able to actually stumble on enough intelligent people to come up w/ sensible decisions on most items before the council. $48 million for the multiple parks, the plantings, restaurant, walk, and other parts that i can't remember, it is attractive, at least. i wish the amphitheater had a bit more in the form of a facelift. perhaps, new colors which represent the city, u of memphis, etc.

it seemed to me that the article had more to say about hazards (fire), upkeep of general cars, which would be expected, and the issues of main street. w/ the development of sears crosstown, more planning for future ridership in the medical centers, overton square, and the fairgrounds could be made into flexible routes, adding the baseball destination, the pyramid, and so-forth.

Last edited by kingchef; Jun 12, 2014 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:43 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Now its just funny.

Questions Raised About 100 N. Main Developer

Quote:
The man behind the proposed redevelopment of the 100 N. Main St. skyscraper Downtown has previously been convicted of scamming real estate investors.

Yitzchok “Isaac” Thomas was found guilty in Connecticut of using a real estate investors’ funds to enrich himself.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...ain-developer/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:52 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Well I guess that puts an end to the discussion about the redevelopment of 100 N. Main. The tax evasion makes complete sense now.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:10 AM

The Guest House At Graceland got approved today by the Land Use Control Board. This was the largest hurdle left to clear to make way for the hotel to become a reality. It now goes to the City Council but is already considered a lock to be approved. EPE is planning an official groundbreaking ceremony to take place during Elvis Week in early August. They want it opened in time for Elvis Week 2015. So a 12-month construction period will be pushing it tightly to reach that deadline.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:49 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
The Guest House At Graceland got approved today by the Land Use Control Board. This was the largest hurdle left to clear to make way for the hotel to become a reality. It now goes to the City Council but is already considered a lock to be approved. EPE is planning an official groundbreaking ceremony to take place during Elvis Week in early August. They want it opened in time for Elvis Week 2015. So a 12-month construction period will be pushing it tightly to reach that deadline.
12 months is a little tight, but if they can get a general contractor to agree to a high liquidation rate by August of 2015 then they'll get things moving.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:11 AM

i thought this post re: the "whys" of beginning a renovation or total replace on the trolley system was well expressed. i do think that they should be renovated instead of replaced w/ new buses, trolleys, or some other machines. lashlee and haslam i guess can close it down, and put us all on the bicycle lanes that were so inexpensive (wonder what the ridership is for the bie lanes?) i would like to say that i have heard and seen a both a great deal of positive feedback and use on this project. i am just really aggravated about the way some of these folk come into town, tear down 7 or 8 nice buildings. buildings like the randolph building, 170 n. main, the building being torn down for that same design for kroger on union. as for the grand junction development, i don't think it is any uglier or out of place than those crescentbluff apts. i think they tie into a number of the island's free-standing buildings and possibility of other multifamily complexes. what would look nice is the building of a highrise on the island. downtown or south forum would show the plan of the 12 story condo, which features one condo on each floor. in fact, it would look good to raise it to 18-20 stories arranged in a cluster of three or four.

i forgot to add, i would rather hold out for federal dollars and other monies to pay, hopefully, for a promised light rail system. spend the needed money to safely run the trolleys. when, and if the projects gets under way, if the airport is larger than a landing strip, lamar avenue is burdened w/ the traffic that it sees daily, and downtown hasn't been routed completely to east memphis, a light rail system could link some of the areas that would help us see a sensible and contained growth. yes, i know that is a big "if", and most of us might be rolled to the dedication in a wheelchair or on a gurney, but hopefully the city and the county will go forward.

Last edited by kingchef; Jun 13, 2014 at 8:42 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
12 months is a little tight, but if they can get a general contractor to agree to a high liquidation rate by August of 2015 then they'll get things moving.
I think with it being only 6 floors high per each wing that they can build it quicker that way. A tower would have taken longer. From my understanding they have already begun site work to prepare for the groundbreaking and turning of dirt.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 4:54 AM

This is going to be great for Memphis and really the entire region:

Shelby Farms Park breaks ground on $52M project

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...aks-ground-on/

Quote:
Dignitaries will use paddles instead of shovels Friday to ceremonially break ground on the big expansion of Patriot Lake, part of a two-year, $52 million improvement to Shelby Farms Park.

The work is designed not only to make Patriot Lake more ecologically sound and larger — expanding from 52 to 85 acres — the “Heart of the Park’’ project will also add recreational and educational opportunities and amenities.

Over the next two years, the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy will build: a new Visitor Center; more lakeside pavilions; a plug-and-play event pavilion/stage; a farm-to-table restaurant; a rustic retreat center; a wetland walk; a boat rental kiosk; and new trails. Also, more than 10,000 trees will be planted.

The work is part of a $70 million master plan. Already completed, for about $18 million, is a large playground, pedestrian bridge spanning the Wolf River, a new buffalo range, the planting of thousands of trees, new signs and other improvements...

Learn more here: http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/heartofthepark

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 9:01 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I'm going to post this over in the One Beale thread in the highrise proposals forum as well.

EDIT My bad, I see now where it's already posted. I should have checked first.

Sale of Wendy's restaurants for $58.2M could fund Downtown Memphis project
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ould-fund.html

Quote:
Carlisle Corp. has agreed to sell 56 Wendy's fast-food restaurants for $58.2 million – possibly to fund development of the massive One Beale tower in Downtown Memphis.
Memphis-based Carlisle Corp. will in July finalize the sale of the properties, all in Virginia and North Carolina, to the world's largest Pizza Hut franchisee, Kansas-based NPC International Inc.
The sale comes as the Carlisle family prepares to restart its massive mixed-use development One Beale.
Quote:
"This sale provides us the opportunity to focus on alternative investments, particularly in Downtown Memphis, but we will continue to be part of the Wendy’s family as we have for the last 40 years," Carlisle Corp. vice president Chance Carlisle said in a prepared statement on the Wendy's sale.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 6:23 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

BEER.

Wiseacre expands and adds employees

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...employees.html

Quote:
Wiseacre Brewing Company has added 20 new employees to its nine-month old brewery and tap room.

Wiseacre also added 320 new barrels of fermentation space and two 60,000-pound grain silos to accommodate demand for its Ananda and Tiny Bomb beers. Kellan and Davin Bartosch, Wiseacre’s owners are planning to add a third beer to Wiseacre’s lineup later this year.
Tiny Bomb is my new fix.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:56 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
BEER.

Wiseacre expands and adds employees

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...employees.html

Tiny Bomb is my new fix.
Their IPA is a boss too.

Adding 20 jobs is pretty good, especially after only 9 months. Hopefully their success (and Memphis Made, High Cotton, and Ghost River) will lead to a couple of more craft breweries in Memphis in the next few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations