HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 11:05 PM

I find Torontonians can be windy on the subway, but otherwise it doesn't bother me.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 11:21 PM

Urban design can make a huge difference with wind perception. In the winter, Ottawa seems to be way colder than it actually is relative to Toronto or Montreal because of the massive number of open spaces in many areas which causes winds to be brutal.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 11:42 PM

/\ That's what I hate the most in cold weather: the wind. It's agressive.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:38 AM
sick transit, gloria

I'm not sure if it's just my imagination but Toronto seems MUCH more windy than it was when I was a child. It at least seems very regular now.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:48 AM

It's by the lake, it's logical for it to be windy. Plus, tall buildings are great for causing strong wind drafts. There's at least one particular corner in Montreal that I recall is kinda famous for that - always really windier than other spots due to the configuration of the buildings.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
/\ That's what I hate the most in cold weather: the wind. It's agressive.
I've spent the past few winters outside by the St. Lawrence in an industrial park that's just on the shore... and yes, windy days (most of them I'd say, the River is really a corridor for winds) were the worst.

The irony is, based on the past few years of me being in Florida at various times, the coastal breeze is usually welcome. Orlando, which is inland, always feels noticeably less comfortable (too hot) in spring/summer/fall whenever I have to go there. So I'm a fan of wind now. (Pun not intended.)

I know for sure there's a threshold of hotness beyond which winds doesn't help cool you off but actually starts doing the opposite, but it's got to be even higher than the high temps here. Did any of the lakeside Ontarians here ever discover they were finding a breeze to be undesirable during the worst heat waves...? Probably not.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 1:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I know for sure there's a threshold of hotness beyond which winds doesn't help cool you off but actually starts doing the opposite, but it's got to be even higher than the high temps here.
I did a road trip in Mexico in May once. We decided to open the window to cool off the car and it felt like a hair dryer. It was better to keep the window closed (no alternative but to run AC). It was over 40 degrees Celsius outside.

I'm guessing the cutoff is basically your body temperature. Wind speeds up the heat transfer with respect to the ambient temperature. If the air's warmer than you, more wind will warm you up faster. One confounding factor there though is sweat; I guess it would also speed up evaporation and the related cooling.

(Most people probably already know this but evaporation from sweating works better when the air is less saturated with moisture. That is probably the biggest reason why warm and humid weather feels hotter.)

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm guessing the cutoff is basically your body temperature.
Obviously that's a very good approximation, for the exact reason you gave, but it's not that simple to identify the point with certainty, as a bone dry breeze of +38C probably helps more than harms (vs no wind and +38C) due to helping with sweat evaporation. (Which, again, you already pointed out.)

In other words... I should've simply said that I totally agree with you.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:25 PM

In Kingston the winds off the lake make a pretty big impact on how the weather feels. Because we're right at the point where Lake Ontario collapses into the St. Lawrence, all the air currents from the lake converge on us, although they're often weaker and drier by the time they hit us (the latter is the reason why we're not in the snowbelt in spite of all the lake winds). The consequence is that we have a very constant level of moderate winds. It's rarely very windy here, but the air is also almost never still. This makes the effect of wind very predicable and very consistent.

In terms of weather perception this is most noticeable in the spring. When you're right by the water or in an area of the city where the winds from the water are allowed to blow through, it can feel quite chilly throughout April and May no matter how warm it gets. Even 20 degree days, if they occur before early June, can feel cold for this reason. It's the most annoying part of Kingston's climate.

In the summer the winds moderate heat so we tend to dodge all the extreme heat waves. Whenever there's heat waves where Toronto & Ottawa go up to 35 degrees, we're usually stuck in the high 20s.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 3:25 PM

One of my favorite places in BC is the Thompson Valley. It is a little colder than the Okanagan during the winter, but spring comes early and except for Osoyoos, it is hotter than the Okanagan during the summer.

The most eastern end of the semi-desert region of the Thompson Valley is Kamloops and the western end is Spences Bridge.

The town of Ashcroft is right in the middle of the valley and is the driest spot in Canada south of 60 degrees.

I have long suspected that Ashcroft would have among the hottest summer averages in Canada, but not until recently did they have an official weather station.

Seeing how weather averages officially need 30 years to make them official this is very preemptive, but I wanted to do it just for fun on my Sunday (like any sane person.......)

So, here are the averages so far starting in Dec 2010 to this year.

Ashcroft Averages by Ian, on Flickr

In BC during the summer you can buy watermelons grown from Ashcroft.

A couple of my pics of the area:

Ashcroft by Ian, on Flickr

Thompson River - Ashcroft by Ian, on Flickr

Ashcroft Main Street by Ian, on Flickr

Ashcroft is definitely a very different place than coastal BC, and it is only a 3 and a half hour drive from Vancouver.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 7:08 PM

Awesome. If I didn't know any better I would think that was the southwest US. I don't think many people know Canada has a region that looks like that.

And now a question. Anyone know what this odd perennial that popped out of one of my gardens is?

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 7:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks like a fiddlehead fern.

Every New Brunswicker knows these are good sautéed with butter.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 7:37 PM

Yeah, we call those "violin's head". Same thing As MonctonRad points out, it can be cooked and eaten.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I don't think wind is really much of a variable within Canada.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...al-average.php

Compare Toronto at 22 "very windy" days a year to Vancouver's 7. Average wind speed 9.6 kph to 7.6 kph. Not really a noticeable difference.

All in all it amounts to about 2 weeks more worth of windy days in Toronto compared to Vancouver spread over an entire year. Not something that is going to register on a person's consciousness in the grand scheme of things regarding weather.
This confirms one of my observations since moving to Edmonton from Toronto. I thought wind in Edmonton was a lot more stable. Toronto gets quite a few days per year where I thought if I had a sail and a skateboard I'd get around pretty easily.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:19 AM

Out of curiosity, anyone happens to know what this is?

P1080024

P1080025

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Out of curiosity, anyone happens to know what this is?
I can't tell you what it is, other than to say it doesn't appear to be anything Canadian.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Awesome. If I didn't know any better I would think that was the southwest US. I don't think many people know Canada has a region that looks like that.
Its a relatively small area, the desert like Thomspson Valley area is about 100 or so KM long, and only about 10 KM wide, but a really fun drive in the summer if ever going through the BC interior.

And Lio45, that one has me.... stumped!

Seeing how these are just shoots off of a removed tree, I would suggest killing and removing it, or (if possible with this species if you want to keep it) try and transplant a clipping.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Looks like a fiddlehead fern.

Every New Brunswicker knows these are good sautéed with butter.
Indeed it does. A favourite in spring farmers' markets here as well.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:49 AM

I stumbled on some beautiful trees in Kew Gardens in the Beaches neighbourhood here in Toronto. Did some research and turns out they're dawn redwoods - a deciduous cousin of the coniferous giant redwood. They can survive colder climates. It's an ancient species thought to be extinct at one point - these look the same as they would have ~65 million years ago.

http://www.beachmetro.com/2012/08/29...e-kew-gardens/

Beautiful soft needles

https://www.savetheredwoods.org/redwoods/dawn-redwoods/

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 7:13 AM

metasequoia, beautiful tree

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada