HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 7:46 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Moving this here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Depends on how much you're willing to spend. The IOC is only playing lip service to making the Olympics more affordable for host cities and I expect that $5B or so is the absolute minimum that any Winter Olympics will cost with Summer being about twice that. Sochi and Beijing are the new standards of excess and payouts to the IOC that are expected.

24-year old facilities will not be tolerated in the gilded age of the Olympiad.
I don't think so. It's already an embarrassment to the IOC that literally all the other countries except China and Kazakhstan dropped their bids for 2022. Beijing is the first city to get both Summer and Winter Olympics and it isn't because they wanted it to happen...

Things are changing in the world. This website is a great snapshot for that. We've seen the emerging world become a place for mega projects and skyscrapers and we've seen them fall for spending way too much to try and show the developed world that they've arrived. Outside of India things are not looking so good for emerging markets.

In developed countries you have rising costs across the board in healthcare and other social programs mixed with pretty lack luster GDP in Europe even by the best in class like the UK and surprisingly Spain.

Now lets couple that with the fact that the USA is extraditing FIFA top brass on corruption charges where we can see trails of corruption bread crumbs leading to the decisions to send the World Cups to the BRICs and then the current situation and the challenges moving forward for these organizations becomes a lot more clear.

I think the best thing the IOC could do to show good faith in turning this Titanic away from an iceberg would be to showcase how a city could do an Olympics with great infrastructure and facilities, protection and respect for LGBT and multicultural athletes with as little money expended as possible.

Even if SLC rebuilt every facility it constructed in 2002 and remodeled every facility it remodeled for 2002 it wouldn't cost over 2 billion. There hasn't been THAT much inflation since 2002!

I think if the IOC doesn't fix their shit, we're gonna see alternatives break through (Does anyone care about the World's Fair anymore?). The PAN AM games that just took place in Toronto have arguably been a new benchmark in the event's prestige. Even the FIFA Women's Soccer in Canada which has been treated like a joke by FIFA, blew up everyone's low expectations with how well it was received and watched on TV.

The world is changing but with events that don't happen for 7 years there tends to be a bit of a lag.

Also, I'd like to add that the reason we're talking about this right now is because Boston withdrew their bid from the Summer Olypmics which of course ups the odds of the US Olympic Committee allowing a Winter Olympic bid. But this is also a sign of the times. This is a major city who had to withdraw because of a lack of support from its citizens for a Summer Olympics. I think my former argument stands that austerity and slim budgets for building highways and healthcare is a real mood killer for hosting Olympics, but I also think the brand has taken a major beating because of their event location choices. Did you read about how Brazil wants athletes to swim in the Ocean outside of Rio where two teaspoons of water when ingested will more than likely cause illness because of the high concentration of sewage? Boston knows they're better than that.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 1:49 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I certainly lost my appetite for a Denver bid in 2026, knowing we'd be following on the heels of another $50 billion Chinese ego-fest. No thanks. Kazakhstan would've been a better choice, exactly because they might have botched it somewhat.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 4:07 AM
cities|transit|croissants

The Olympics need to adapt, and go the way of the World Cup: Have countries host, instead of cities.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 11:40 PM

AWESOME: The Colorado River

Credit: Wolfgang Staudt/Flickr via PRI
CAP is why the Valley of the Sun has a better, more secure water supply than the Denver Front Range.

Fortunately the Gross Reservoir Expansion Project is now in the Federal permitting process with hopes of starting construction about the same time as CDOT starts on the I-70 project through Denver.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 5:16 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
The Olympics need to adapt, and go the way of the World Cup: Have countries host, instead of cities.
That's a really good point. Imagine the Supremacy of a Winter Olympics across the United States, all the different events at all the different beautiful resort areas.

2022 Winter Olympics To Be Held On Mountains Where It Doesn't Snow

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/0...it-doesnt-snow

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 5:29 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Plus there's even more opportunity for graft. Though it's difficult to argue that the Olympics aren't national affairs right now. Sure, one city is playing host. But, it's really a national effort that is undertaken to win the nomination. Really, it's the Western World that's behind the times in not putting massive amounts of federal funding behind a cities proposal.

The IOC absurdity isn't going to end as long as the developing world is willing to play this game and there's plenty of dupes willing to spend tens of billions to do so.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 6:29 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
[SIZE="4"]
CAP is why the Valley of the Sun has a better, more secure water supply than the Denver Front Range.
Hopefully Obama's Clean Power Plan sees the awful Navajo Generating Station, with the thousands of people that it's killed during it's operational lifespan, shut down soon and the CAP turn to renewable energy sources to ensure that Arizona continues to get it's water.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Hopefully Obama's Clean Power Plan sees the awful Navajo Generating Station, with the thousands of people that it's killed during it's operational lifespan, shut down soon and the CAP turn to renewable energy sources to ensure that Arizona continues to get it's water.
Aug 3, 2015 by Eric Jay Toll, Phoenix Business Journal

Quote:
Salt River Project, which operates Navajo Generating Station on Navajo tribal lands, is concerned about what the new rules will do to an agreement hammered out between SRP and the EPA to reduce emissions at NGS.

A spokesman for SRP said in an email that in previous rulemaking, EPA recognized unique conditions in areas of Indian country, and the initial targets for the Navajo Nation in the proposed rule supported the progress already underway to reduce emissions from NGS and Four Corners Power Plant.

"However, the new targets announced today appear significantly lower than those in the proposed rule," said Scott Harelson, SRP’s director of communications. "SRP will need to conduct a thorough analysis of the new targets to determine how they might impact NGS."

Sandy Bahr, Sierra Club Grand Canyon Chapter director, said the new rules showed the EPA listened.

"Arizona’s standards changed significantly," she said. "The proposed 52 percent (pounds per hour) reduction was lowered to 34 percent."

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 6:45 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Moving this here:

I don't think so. It's already an embarrassment to the IOC that literally all the other countries except China and Kazakhstan dropped their bids for 2022. Beijing is the first city to get both Summer and Winter Olympics and it isn't because they wanted it to happen...

Things are changing in the world. This website is a great snapshot for that. We've seen the emerging world become a place for mega projects and skyscrapers and we've seen them fall for spending way too much to try and show the developed world that they've arrived. Outside of India things are not looking so good for emerging markets.

In developed countries you have rising costs across the board in healthcare and other social programs mixed with pretty lack luster GDP in Europe even by the best in class like the UK and surprisingly Spain.

Now lets couple that with the fact that the USA is extraditing FIFA top brass on corruption charges where we can see trails of corruption bread crumbs leading to the decisions to send the World Cups to the BRICs and then the current situation and the challenges moving forward for these organizations becomes a lot more clear.

I think the best thing the IOC could do to show good faith in turning this Titanic away from an iceberg would be to showcase how a city could do an Olympics with great infrastructure and facilities, protection and respect for LGBT and multicultural athletes with as little money expended as possible.

Even if SLC rebuilt every facility it constructed in 2002 and remodeled every facility it remodeled for 2002 it wouldn't cost over 2 billion. There hasn't been THAT much inflation since 2002!

I think if the IOC doesn't fix their shit, we're gonna see alternatives break through (Does anyone care about the World's Fair anymore?). The PAN AM games that just took place in Toronto have arguably been a new benchmark in the event's prestige. Even the FIFA Women's Soccer in Canada which has been treated like a joke by FIFA, blew up everyone's low expectations with how well it was received and watched on TV.

The world is changing but with events that don't happen for 7 years there tends to be a bit of a lag.

Also, I'd like to add that the reason we're talking about this right now is because Boston withdrew their bid from the Summer Olypmics which of course ups the odds of the US Olympic Committee allowing a Winter Olympic bid. But this is also a sign of the times. This is a major city who had to withdraw because of a lack of support from its citizens for a Summer Olympics. I think my former argument stands that austerity and slim budgets for building highways and healthcare is a real mood killer for hosting Olympics, but I also think the brand has taken a major beating because of their event location choices. Did you read about how Brazil wants athletes to swim in the Ocean outside of Rio where two teaspoons of water when ingested will more than likely cause illness because of the high concentration of sewage? Boston knows they're better than that.
Looks like somone at CNBC just read my response here. Okay, the person didn't mention Salt Lake City, but close enough.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/07/the-w...ants-them.html

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:54 AM

Need a sure-fire way to boost tourism?
Try duty-free nose and boob jobs.

Quote:
South Korea is taking duty-free shopping to a whole new level, with plans to exclude face lifts, breast enlargements and liposuction from value-added tax for tourists.
August 17, 2015 by Cynthia Kim and Myungshin Cho. Bloomberg Business

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 12:28 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Need a sure-fire way to boost tourism?
Try duty-free nose and boob jobs.

August 17, 2015 by Cynthia Kim and Myungshin Cho. Bloomberg Business
Do people outside of the us besides Kim Jong Un actually need liposuction/face lifts or is this just a shameless ploy to increase wealthy American tourism?? (or are they trying to lure Un so they can do something nefarious? -queue forshadowy music-)

Edit: And why does Siri 100% of the time change us to U.S. and U.S. to us????????? I'm leaving it there just for the sheer brilliance of how stupid Apple's tech has become. Sometimes we DO type exactly what we want Time!!!
Edit2: Tim to Time. SMFH

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 3:19 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
Do people outside of the us besides Kim Jong Un actually need liposuction/face lifts or is this just a shameless ploy to increase wealthy American tourism??
SK has the highest per capita rate of plastic surgery (by some measures).

This ad was popular over there a few years back:

Source

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 4:00 PM
of Gnomeregan

HAHAHA Brilliant ad! Also damn... 42 years old and still learning every day.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 4:52 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Right column middle row; is that a trans male to female one?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Right column middle row; is that a trans male to female one?
Interesting question.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 5:08 AM

"Colorado Tried Methane Caps on Drillers, And They Worked"
August 18, 2015 by Christine Buurma and Bradley Olson, Bloomberg Business
Quote:
For an idea of how the U.S. government’s proposed methane rules will affect drillers, look no further than Colorado.

“Methane is a product we sell, so it’s in our business interest as well as in our general interest as environmental stewards to make sure every molecule goes into the sales line,” John Christiansen, a spokesman for Anadarko Petroleum Corp., said by phone Tuesday.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 12:55 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

I visited Boston earlier this summer. I opened a photo thread if any are interested in seeing some photos. I will continue to update.

Link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=218787

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 1:10 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
I visited Boston earlier this summer. I opened a photo thread if any are interested in seeing some photos. I will continue to update.

Link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=218787

Very cool textures on those buildings. I can't wait to tour the wasteland version of Boston in Fallout 4 in a couple months!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 1:11 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Beware if you are ever on a JetBlue flight along with an Oregonian who is obviously into watersports.

Quote:
Man pees on passengers aboard Portland-bound flight, police say

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/2015/...-say/72097802/

PORTLAND, Ore. – A red-eye turned into a nightmare for several passengers on a flight from Alaska to Portland.

A Gresham man was arrested after police said he awoke on the overnight flight from Anchorage and urinated on the surrounding passengers and luggage.

According to the Port of Portland police report, witnesses said Jeff Rubin was asleep for most of the flight, but about 30 minutes before the JetBlue flight was scheduled to land, he stood up and started peeing through the crack of the seats onto the people sitting in front of him.

As he continued to relieve himself, Rubin lost his balance, causing him to fall backward and pee upward. The report said the people sitting around Rubin, along with some of their belongings, were covered in urine.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:48 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

I need to know, have any of you Denverites had this? And is it something I need to try when I visit Denver in a coming year? Apparently it was really well liked by the late Elvis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool%27s_Gold_Loaf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West