HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwerve View Post
I'm not necessarily a CCM advocate, I don't mind the design, I could definitely see better spots, but the constant invocation of this absolutist interpretation of a badly constructed law makes want it constructed there just out of spite.
You obviously haven't read the actual court case and charter. Its not ill defined at all, just because you have only heard the Forever Free and Clear part doesn't mean its vague. The word sculpture is pretty obvious, its architecture without purpose other than expression of emotion or ideas. The Ghery doesn't even have to have this arguement in its favor since its over the tracks which were declared and exception.

I will try and dig up some links to the case and charter, I've never seen them online, but I've never looked. The place I read them was in the Harold Washington Library. I also heard that the historical society has the original paper work, but whether or not they'll let you see it I'm not sure of.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 12:57 AM

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Last edited by aic4ever; Apr 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM. Reason: baleeted

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
It's a really interesting subject, and it'd be interesting to hear from an actual political scientist who has studied this. But my gut, like with Steely, says that the aldermanic power system in Chicago spells bad news. I can't offer much other than my anecdotal experience and general take on history.
Aldermanic power in this city no doubt has lots of bad effects, but we shouldn't see it as a dichotomous choice between a strong mayor and strong aldermen. For example, one could imagine some powers (such as zoning) being controlled by stronger, more independent, and non-localized bureaucracies, and neither the mayor nor the aldermen would have any say over zoning variances. Or one could imagine a system in which there are no aldermen, only at-large elected representatives, or a middle ground where multiple representatives are elected from larger geographic units. I'm not claiming either of these would be a better system, I'm just saying they are theoretically possible. I realize that changes that drastic are basically an intellectual exercise.

Quote:
It's a really cool building, and I used to love smelling that bread all over the south side. But at the same time, I have trouble imagining a plausible re-use of it. The scale and construction doesn't lend itself to residential lofts, it's not a great manufacturing/warehouse site without substantial subsidy, and offices? What southside loft office market?
Yes, with every landmarking comes an opportunity cost: the building could be torn down and replaced with something else. But don't you think that at 55th and Wabash, the opportunity cost is extremely low? That is, there are tons of vacant lots available, and demolition of the Schulze building would be very unlikely to result in something "better" going up anytime very soon. I think the main problem is in securing the building against structural collapse, vandalism, and squatting, but if there were a government office tasked with securing landmarks and other historically significant buildings, it could be realistic to do so. Then the building could basically be mothballed until the neighborhood turns around.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:41 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
It's a really cool building, and I used to love smelling that bread all over the south side. But at the same time, I have trouble imagining a plausible re-use of it. The scale and construction doesn't lend itself to residential lofts, it's not a great manufacturing/warehouse site without substantial subsidy, and offices? What southside loft office market?
Disagreed on the residential aspect. I strongly believe that this building could rapidly be converted to residential. In fact, I think that is what will happen. The skyline views and height above the surrounding neighborhood make it very desirable, especially if good fortunes come to Washington Park. (Err, better fortunes - I disagree with the press that it's such a bad place.) It has incredible access to transportation and nice proximity to Hyde Park and downtown, not to mention Washington Park just down the street: In other words, strong appreciation potential.

Abner, you are not alone in thinking about this building for preservation. In fact, many people share your ideas on the matter, myself included. I guarantee you that the City is also aware of it.

The building is Orange-rated - to my knowledge, no one has been active about it yet, and this is probably the cause. Too many fires to fight.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:18 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I will try and dig up some links to the case and charter
The Montgomery Ward cases are online.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:51 AM
Registered

The third and definitive render of 2800 Lincoln was posted today, if anyone cares. http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/803/224803.jpg It's rather large, so be prepared for a slower download.

Looks like I won the bet about columns coming later on the balconies. Since no one bet against me, I don't know what I won.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Disagreed on the residential aspect. I strongly believe that this building could rapidly be converted to residential. In fact, I think that is what will happen. The skyline views and height above the surrounding neighborhood make it very desirable, especially if good fortunes come to Washington Park. (Err, better fortunes - I disagree with the press that it's such a bad place.) It has incredible access to transportation and nice proximity to Hyde Park and downtown, not to mention Washington Park just down the street: In other words, strong appreciation potential.
I hope you're right about the residential uses. It is a cool building and I'd love to see it saved if there is a plausible re-use for it. I've been on that stretch of Garfield countless times, and it would feel eerily empty (moreso) without the Schultz bakery.

I remember some time back, there used to a pretty cool big old theatre/mixed use building just down the street at Garfield/Michigan..... then it burned down in a spectacular fire. This fire must have been circa the early 90s. Do you by chance have any information on that building?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 7:58 AM
Registered

^ Is this it? Photo says Calumet at 55th, so I guess not.

President Theatre: http://cinematreasures.org/theater/5144/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

Was it the Metropolitan?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:06 PM

Quote:
The third and definitive render of 2800 Lincoln was posted today, if anyone cares. http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/803/224803.jpg It's rather large, so be prepared for a slower download.

Looks like I won the bet about columns coming later on the balconies. Since no one bet against me, I don't know what I won.
I'm not sure this has been posted yet, but that development has a pretty informative website: http://2800lincoln.com

They have some neat diagrams on the eco-friendly aspects of the development. They have a diagram of the geothermal heat pump for the development along with an explanatory link:
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...mal-heat-pumps

Taft

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:08 PM

Quote:

I liked it better when it was white and cantilevered. :[

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:

It would have been a difficult cantilever to sustain I think.

I still like the design a lot.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 9:32 PM
Registered

^ Yeah, it was pretty obvious that the cantilever was not happening. I disfavor certain uses of artistic license in renders, such as eliminating "unsavory" structure that might be in the way of someone's view, so I am glad that they have introduced them.

I think the design remains equally boring.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 1:13 AM

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...98&TM=76470.59

Quote:
Germania Club gets preliminary landmark status
Tenants not concerned by new landlord

Reilly said he's been approached by a several developers "to take my temperature on how I feel for the corner." Some of the ideas have called for high-rise residential complexes in place of Germania Club and Village Theater, which Reilly said he strictly opposes.
It's incomprehensible to me that the Village Theater and Michael's North restaurant site aren't considered some of the primest of prime high-intensity redevelopment sites. By all means, I support landmarking the Germania, which is in excellent shape and currently contributing to neighborhood vitality. But why on earth no development other than to appease the parking gods and anti-progress progressive smog-belching communists of Sandburg Village?

Guess I answered my own question. Thanks, Reilly.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:33 PM
THAT Guy

Posted on SSC

1615 North Wolcott

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

That's part of the Urban Sandbox project being built by Ranquist Development. Very bold, very modern. I like pretty much everything Ranquist has built in the city.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That's part of the Urban Sandbox project being built by Ranquist Development. Very bold, very modern. I like pretty much everything Ranquist has built in the city.
Stuff they build =
Stuff getting torn down to build it =

...like that house on Paulina dating to 1858, for example.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 6:48 PM

Parkhomes at Lakeshore East

Photo's taken by EarlyBuyer 4/19/08

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
1615 North Wolcott
very nice

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 3:17 AM

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development