HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:23 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

The HDRC is supposed to revisit the issue today for a ruling.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:16 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

We have results....

Andres is involved and the title of the story is Hedrick Building to stay standing, could be returned to former glory

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:22 PM

I always like seeing preservation win. Would love to see that building properly restored.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:55 PM

I like seeing it saved, as well. After all, they don't exactly build 1928-era mid-rises anymore

Besides, there's still plenty of room left on the property for something more exciting (read: taller).

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:31 PM
Bears of antiquity

So the owner of the property has changed his tune and he IS going to rehab it?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Besides, there's still plenty of room left on the property for something more exciting (read: taller).
There is plenty of room for further development. I doubt anything would be as exciting as seeing a beautifully restored '20s building, though, no matter the height.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:12 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Fantastic story on most recent HDRC meeting.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc..._a_future.html

Two new historic structures in SA...

Great snippets into the nonsense that goes on there:

On a 40's Car dealership:
Quote:
The owners' representative said it would cost $1.3 million to get the decaying site in condition just to have it insured.
“We have an uninsurable asset right now,”
On a Derelict Ice house in my hood:
Quote:
The owners have said the building, vacant since 2005, is a haven for vagrants. Commissioners said it could be secured, cleaned up and covered with a new roof to keep out intruders.
Love it. Keep it up HDRC. (eye twitching, fists forming…)

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Love it. Keep it up HDRC. (eye twitching, fists forming…)
This latest story with these 3 structures really makes the HDRC look...
stupid?

They shouldn't just save old structures because they're old. There needs to be something significant about the buildings (Ice house, car dealership and post office). There isn't any historical relevance to any of these structures. So what is special architecturally about these?

They demolished Earl Abel's. I mean c'mon.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:22 AM

i would love to see who sits on the hdrc board.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 1:29 PM

By keeping these structures standing, isn't HDRC trying to sell the "classic" car for more than anyone is willing to pay, only because it's a classic even though it is on bricks, rusting out, and hasn't seen the road in decades? Or thinking about spending 20K to fix an old clunker. There comes a time when you need to junk it and buy a new one.
In the case of the Dodge dealership;
I think, if I'm not mistaken and as we discussed here with the fish market mess, that this meets the criteria needed for demolition.
If it is a financial burden on the owner, which 1.3 mil usually is for anyone, it can be demolished.
It would be a cool re-use building, but at 1.3 million just to insure? At that price I would rather see some 3-5 story mixed use to mirror what will hopefully be, not currently is, the Broadway Lofts.
Save what can be saved. You can't turn crap into something significant.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 7:32 PM
James

The link to an article I posted for the Alot hotel actually gives some insight on who is actually on these boards. One of them is a sixty year old woman who recalls Houston street in her hay day. It seems to me that if most of these members are all older citizens, then that doesn't really allow different input. There is no one on the board to challenge them, no one to remind them it's not 1930 anymore and saving one measly one story building is not going to make much difference... no one really cares unless it's architecturally significant.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 8:36 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I could be wrong but I think that woman you're mentioning in that article is part of a different group not the HDRC.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I could be wrong but I think that woman you're mentioning in that article is part of a different group not the HDRC.
SA Conservation Society
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 1:32 AM
James

So are they two different bodies?

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 4:59 AM

SACS is a private org. I think. The HDRC actually has a function in the city process, although some members of the HDRC could be members of the SACS and probably are.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 2:19 PM

Could SA learn something from. . . Boerne??

Panel votes down Boerne historic district expansion

By Linda Byrne - Staff Writer/Northwest Weekly

A proposal to expand Boerne's historic district faces a high hurdle following a vote against the idea by the Planning and Zoning Commission on Monday.

The vote means a supermajority of four out of five City Council members would have to approve the idea when the matter comes before it in the next month, rather than a simple majority of three votes.

At issue is whether to expand the historic district along Main Street to include a mostly residential area just east of the current district and north of Cibolo Creek.

There were five votes to support a motion by commissioner Larry Woods, seconded by Israel Pena, to decline to recommend the expansion.

The vote came after a public hearing in which more than a dozen speakers pleaded with the panel to deny the expansion, with only one homeowner speaking for the proposal.

“This is a momentous occasion for galvanizing some disgruntled and disenfranchised property owners,” said Skip Schumpes, who owns property in the 300 block of River Road. “The lack of rules and lack of consequences for this action has all of us very concerned.”

“The current apparent mode of national government is to assume that the government is brighter and smarter and more capable than all of its collective citizens. … I would hold that many of us cherish our rights as individuals to make those decisions. … This is not Fredericksburg; this is not New Braunfels (and) …these aren't limestone buildings that are going to withstand the passage of centuries.

“Many of the newer structures in this district are a lot better than what was there. …The history of Boerne is not fully written. Don't encumber the current owners with such handcuffs that they cannot improve what we have inherited.”

Expansion district resident Rebecca Jones noted she was in a minority on the issue, but told the commissioners she was concerned about future land uses.

“I live across the street from the house that's being removed by the Methodist Church,” Jones said. “Once these homes are taken, they're gone forever and it does change the look of the neighborhood. … My fear in all this is what comes next. If there's no controls within the neighborhood, what's going to be there in one year, five years, 10 years?”

Prior to the public hearing, acting chairman Doug Hartzler announced that three commissioners, Paula Hayward, Lad Mingus and Scott Billingsley, would leave the dais under provisions of Boerne's new ethics ordinance that prevents public officials from discussing or voting on matters where they have a conflict of interest as defined by the ordinance. Hayward and Mingus own property in the subject area, while Billingsley said he serves on a board of an organization affected by the decision.

That left only Hartzler, Pena, Woods and commissioners Robin Stauber and Kevin Thompson to cast votes on the issue that has been on Boerne's front burner since last summer, when the City Council first approved a demolition moratorium in the area and commissioned an inventory and study by the UTSA School of Architecture.

Pena said that, while he supports the concept of historic preservation, he had concerns about the process that has been unfolding.

“I don't agree with what has been done thus far. … I do believe there are structures and properties in this district that are worthy of being designated and worthy of protecting, but I also note there are others that aren't worthy of protection,” Pena said before the vote.

The proposal now goes to Boerne City Council, which will schedule its own public hearing prior to voting on the expansion

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 8:52 PM
James

This is why I honestly believe we need to go to some of these HDRC meetings. When more people speak up, the mort they listen, if one or two of us says something it won't mean much, but if we get more people involved, like citizens who actually live or work downtown, then something may possibly change their minds when thinking they think for the whole city.... and if not we can just impeach them, lol.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio