HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 5:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Also posted on the [Dieppe] thread. This information is direct from Transport Canada:

Quote:
MACC Warehouse facility at the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport

This is a non-designated project on federal lands or outside Canada. The listed authorities are responsible for the project assessment.

MACC Commercial Properties is proposing construction of a warehouse at the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport. The 2508 square meter building is proposed to be built west of the current airport control tower off Champlain Street in Dieppe, New Brunswick. The project work will include building construction, asphalt parking areas, driveway access off Champlain street and an airside access road. The total impacted area is approximately 17749 m2.
So, another warehouse facility at YQM on the south side of the airport with direct airside access to the tarmac. This will join other airside warehouse operations on the south side, including Fed Ex, UPS, Purolator, CargoJet etc.

Also, the new airside access road from the Extreme Cold facility on the north side leading to the main tarmac area in front of the passenger terminal is also under construction. This is where the heavies (747s & 777s) pick up their loads of lobster.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:15 PM

PAL could acquire up to six more planes to operate under the Air Canada Express brand in Eastern Canada: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ium%3Dsharebar

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:04 PM

Bathurst airport on its Facebook page tells people to watch the page for schedule changes, rumours are that Air Canada Express will return to one daily flight to Montreal, up from 4 times a week.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Bathurst airport on its Facebook page tells people to watch the page for schedule changes, rumours are that Air Canada Express will return to one daily flight to Montreal, up from 4 times a week.
That would be great news! Here is hoping that comes to fruition. Quick check of AC schedule shows a Q-400 flight available to Montreal in December (might be available before this).

Last edited by Bishop2047; Jun 8, 2023 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
That would be great news! Here is hoping that comes to fruition. Quick check of AC schedule shows a Q-400 flight available to Montreal in December (might be available before this).
We used to have 2 daily flights to Montreal prior to the pandemic, right now its the timing of the flight that is not the best. For example, i looked to flight out of Bathurst to go to Brussels. We would leave around supper time and miss the connection in Montreal, spending a night, only to leave late in the afternoon the next day. If there would have been an earlier flight, we could have made the connection the same day no problem. In order to make the connection the same day we have to fly out of Moncton…

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the Canada section:

Quote:
As negotiated in the collective agreement, the WestJet Group will now begin integration efforts of its ultra-low-cost airline, Swoop. Through an expedited process, the airline anticipates a full integration into its mainline operations by the end of October. To avoid traveller impact, Swoop will operate its existing network through to the end of its published schedule on October 28. Swoop employees will move to WestJet.
So, Swoop will be no more. What does this mean for the Swoop service between Moncton and Hamilton? I imagine it is dead. Will WestJet reinstate a Moncton/Toronto service to make up for it?

I am not hopeful..............

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From the Canada section:

So, Swoop will be no more. What does this mean for the Swoop service between Moncton and Hamilton? I imagine it is dead. Will WestJet reinstate a Moncton/Toronto service to make up for it?

I am not hopeful..............
Id rather Porter that Swoop. Still hoping Porter starts Jet service to YYZ

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
Id rather Porter that Swoop. Still hoping Porter starts Jet service to YYZ
I also want to see Porter establish a jet service to Pearson from Moncton as well. This will be especially important for connections as Porter continues to roll out it's trans continental and trans border routes. Of course, this should not be at the expense of the existing service to Billy Bishop.

I still think it would be a mistake if WestJet did not replace the Swoop flight to Hamilton with a service by the main line, either to Hamilton or to Pearson. I wonder how well Swoop was utilized?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:28 PM

Quote:
I also want to see Porter establish a jet service to Pearson from Moncton as well. This will be especially important for connections as Porter continues to roll out it's trans continental and trans border routes. Of course, this should not be at the expense of the existing service to Billy Bishop.

I still think it would be a mistake if WestJet did not replace the Swoop flight to Hamilton with a service by the main line, either to Hamilton or to Pearson. I wonder how well Swoop was utilized?
Both flights i was on to/from Hamilton were packed. Cant go wrong for 149$ return so i wasnt surprised how full it was.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:52 PM

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/frederic...=oddtdtcreator

Lynx Air's first flight out of Fredericton today. There is a bit of an event for it. Fredericton - Toronto continuing on to Calgary.

St John's - Montreal continuing to Calgary also starting up.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:22 PM

Hope it's successful, I booked a flight in a couple weeks on Lynx to try it out. I don't fully trust start-up airlines, but hey it's worth a go

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 12:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are adding 250 more long term parking spaces at YQM, between the current terminal parking lot and the new de-icing fluid storage facility. This is part of $20M of capital improvements at the airport, including an expansion of the tarmac in front of the terminal, and adding a second de-icing pad.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102125229 (paywall)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Airport Closely Watching After Swoop Shutdown Announced:
https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102125246 (paywall)

The YQM CEO seems fairly confident that WestJet might be open to maintaining the flight to Hamilton after the merger, but, this of course is dependent on the overall business strategy of WestJet.

I imagine YHM (Hamilton Munroe) will be putting a lot of pressure on WestJet to maintain that airport as a sort of eastern hub.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 2:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Inaugural Calgary/Moncton flight via WestJet today:

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
They are adding 250 more long term parking spaces at YQM, between the current terminal parking lot and the new de-icing fluid storage facility. This is part of $20M of capital improvements at the airport, including an expansion of the tarmac in front of the terminal, and adding a second de-icing pad.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102125229 (paywall)
Too bad they can't extend the taxiways for the 06/24 runway. Probably very pricey and not a priority for now given the volume of traffic.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 10:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the Canada section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Westjet to integrate Sunwing into mainline, reconfigure aircraft

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/ai...aft-memo-shows

Michael Pihach, 06-16-2023

“One week after The WestJet Group confirmed that it will integrate its budget carrier Swoop into its mainline, the company is now taking steps to do the same thing to its newly-acquired brand, Sunwing Airlines.

PAX has obtained a screen shot of an internal memo that was sent to Sunwing employees on June 14 stating that Sunwing Airlines will, indeed, be absorbed into WestJet in a similar fashion to Swoop.

“This is a long-term move that will unlock greater scale and growth opportunities for our people, and specifically for our airline employees within the Group,” the memo reads...”
First Swoop. Now SunWing.

These moves could have very serious ramifications for YQM. Our Hamilton service is in jeopardy (Swoop). Now the status of at least half of our winter sun destinations (SunWing) is also in doubt.

What are WestJet's intentions here?

Personally I am an optimist, and I imagine that SunWing will be assigned to WestJet Vacations, and that the winter destinations served through Moncton will be preserved.

One never knows however the machinations of the power elite in the WestJet boardrooms. Being on the east coast, we are on the bleeding edge of WestJet's network. We could be viewed as being easily dispensable.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
From the Canada section:

First Swoop. Now SunWing.

These moves could have very serious ramifications for YQM. Our Hamilton service is in jeopardy (Swoop). Now the status of at least half of our winter sun destinations (SunWing) is also in doubt.

What are WestJet's intentions here?

Personally I am an optimist, and I imagine that SunWing will be assigned to WestJet Vacations, and that the winter destinations served through Moncton will be preserved.

One never knows however the machinations of the power elite in the WestJet boardrooms. Being on the east coast, we are on the bleeding edge of WestJet's network. We could be viewed as being easily dispensable.
I personally was not a fan of sunwing so not at all sad to see them swallowed by WJ. It is a bit concerning for the sun destinations but the demand is there obviously so another carrier will step up im sure. Just might not happen immediately.

On the other hand, WJ is going to have a lot of extra frames to utilize so perhaps nothing much changes at all and they continue to provide sun flights.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2023, 11:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
I personally was not a fan of sunwing so not at all sad to see them swallowed by WJ. It is a bit concerning for the sun destinations but the demand is there obviously so another carrier will step up im sure. Just might not happen immediately.

On the other hand, WJ is going to have a lot of extra frames to utilize so perhaps nothing much changes at all and they continue to provide sun flights.
The general consensus on the Canada section is that, since SunWing Vacations will continue as a distinct entity under WestJet, the sun destinations are safe and that while bookings will be handled by SunWing Vacations, travel will be provided by WestJet.

Same planes, different livery.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 2:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The inaugural Moncton/Edmonton flight on WestJet happened yesterday. The service will be 2x weekly.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102134299 (paywall)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 5:00 PM

Very active YQM.

Photo from Facebook YQM Airport Spotting. I just cropped it to show a little more impact.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces