HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 4:00 AM

@TomofBoston - Exciting to hear from a native Chelsean! Especially your account of the fire.
@Brickell - I saw the hotel you are talking about. The Great Chelsea Fire made the land available for that hotel & other buildings around there from what I can tell. Thanks for taking a look!
@Stepper - I like the last one, too. I thought it was a failure at first because the bridge is so blurry. Then I noticed the twigs in the foreground. I decided to consider it *artsy* rather than a failed photo. Glad someone else likes it.
@Blade Blitz - Glad you liked this thread. Funny thing - I was afraid the thread was weak and almost didn't post it. I am my own worst critic. Good to hear from you.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 1:19 PM

Udate for anyone interested. While taking pictures of Chelsea this week I noticed the Apollinaire Theatre which prompted a google search. We ended up going there last night for a play. It was a fantastic experience. Intimate theater. Not a bad seat in the house. Excellent performance. The play was 'East of Berlin'. They have a lounge area that doubles as an art gallery. Very attractive space. I tried to take pics but my camera is horrible with interior shots. If you are local and enjoy live theater, check it out: www.apollinairetheatre.com. We decided to purchase a pass that includes three more plays - ends up being $12.50 per show. Live theatre for price of movie!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 2:21 PM
Low on the food chain

Wow, this is excellent! Thanks so much for the tour. Chelsea is fascinating in something of an academic way. It's one of the densest and wholly urban inner sections of "Boston," rivaling most of the city proper, but escapes attention perhaps because of its reputation and the geography/transit situation. I have to admit that my mental concept of Boston hardly extends beyond the subway-accessible areas.

Anyway, for the record (spoken as someone who doesn't live next to it) I too like the Tobin Bridge; it's very impressive and afford equally impressive views over the rooftops of gritty Chelsea. Love the photos here—great inspiration to explore Chelsea more!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 9:16 PM

Thanks Pigboy. I know what you mean about transit. One reason I went to Chelsea is because I couldn't quite picture where it was. Neighborhoods without T Stations get lost in the shuffle for me. At least at first. I assume Chelsea is well served by transit. Lots of bus lines were apparent and they don't have to go far to reach a T station or downtown. There is a commuter rail station, but I never found it. Still, having a T Station named for a neighborhood absolutely puts it on the map for outsiders and casual observers.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 4:40 AM
BANNED

Expat, great job as always! You do Boston like nobody else has done! Keep up the good work, really enjoying these threads!

I've been stuck in many Tobin Bridge traffic jams (pre Big Dig). East Boston, Chelsea, Winthrop areas are fascinating neighborhoods.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 1:26 PM

Thanks Leo the Dog!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
This is very exciting to me. I love discovering new places (new to me).
That's the way I feel sometimes too.

Great set of a wonderfully dense inner burb. Love the views and tour. Thanks Expat.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 1:28 AM

Ex-Ithacan, Thanks for taking a look!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:36 AM

That's not considered Boston? That's very, very urban for an outer suburb. Not to sound like a broken record but this is also my favorite thread of yours. Keep this up... eventually all the areas that never got coverage on this site will be the most covered lol.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:31 PM

Flava, Chelsea is just across the the river from Boston. Not an outer suburb. I guess you could call it an inner suburb. Of course it isn't 'suburban' in the way most of us think of suburbs. Thanks for taking a look!

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 6:25 PM

Smile I was born in Chelsea in 1963!

What an AWESOME collection of photos, Expat! My parents moved us to Malden (two cities North) in 1971, but until I was 7, we all lived there. It's where both of my parents are from (born, raised and schooled.) I remember, as a little boy, always looking out my mother's bedroom window which showed the huge center span of the Tobin Bridge. I was always fascinated by it! The commuter rail stop is at Sixth and Arlington Streets. You were pretty close to it actually! GREAT job! :-)

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 12:40 AM

Wow, great views! Looks like a cozy city, very human-scaled.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 8:58 PM

Chelsea

Chelsea, as I recall, was always very "cozy," however, it's evolved intensely over the years. I never thought it was a very "utilized" city sadly, nor is it a place that many will go for recreational purposes.

(1.) It's always had the very sad distinction of being dirty/oppressed
(2.) It's underdeveloped (for years)
(3.) With its closeness to Logan Airport, one would think that the M.B.T.A.'s Blue Line would have some kind of a subway stop within it (as opposed to the buslines) to connect with E. Boston, yet it does not and never has, thus giving it a flavor of abandonment/isolation.

My great grandmother used to live on Walnut Street when I was a kid, which is no longer since the tragic fire of 1973. As small children, my sisters and I would LOVE to go out and play on her back porch, which was the onramp (from Third Street & Everett Avenue) of the Tobin Bridge (the last entrance before Boston.) I could never/nor still can't imagine my bedroom/kitchen or living room sitting on an upper/lower deck of the Tobin Bridge's massive approach/span. We used to sit out there and count the cars ascending the center span via this onramp.

With the new Zakim Bridge at Bunker Hill, Charlestown, it only seems right that Massport would either paint or rebuild the existing Tobin Bridge so that it matches the newer Big Dig and Boston skyline in the distance as it approaches both. The very 50's "green" doesn't serve either city anymore along the lines of eye-catching "beauty" in my opinion. Plus, the double decker Route 1 which approaches the center span (over Broadway,) literally cuts through people's front and back yards and suffocates what views most residences nearby could have including the beautiful Admiral's Hill. Nice view up there, but The Tobin is NOT a very "nice" looking compliment to said view. The existing Mc Ardle drawbridge (Meridian Street) below also needs replacement a la the new and eye-catching Chelsea Street Bridge further down The Creek and those AWFUL oil tanks that line Broadway down Marginal Street with that hideous salt pile seem to undermine what potential either the Chelsea and/or East Boston riverfront could possess. This has been under consideration for years and I think more people are beginning to see this "potential." It will, no doubt, take some time and thought. A hotel would not be a bad idea, but again, who wants such an industrial view?

Finally, the former Mystic Mall did not even survive there. Chelsea, sadly is not a "mall" kind of place. It was a great idea initially, but ultimately failed due to the "oppressed" neighborhoods there. On the other hand, Somerville's Assembly Square Mall had a similar fate. The latter will be saved by the addition of an Orange Line subway stop and the further development of an otherwise unused industrial area for too many years. :-(

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 3:53 PM
Out of Myself

Awesome thread!! Thanks for bumping it back!!

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 6:26 PM

Thanks for the bump, Starr. I definitely missed out on this the first time around. Much respect to Chelsea!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos