HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 9:16 PM
sabotai's Avatar
sabotai sabotai is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 453
Metro Manila //city of contrasts

Manila is the chaotic center of a metropolitan area containing nearly 12 million people. It's a pretty crazy place and was quite a shock coming straight from Tokyo.

Past Threads:
__________________
flickr
My Website and Photoblog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 11:07 PM
ChrisLA's Avatar
ChrisLA ChrisLA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Woodland Hills Warner Center
Posts: 6,323
Very nice as I was curious to see what Manila looks like on the ground. Living in Los Angeles, and especially specifically Long Beach, Carson too there are a lot of Filipino's in my hood. I also have many friends who are as well, and work with good number of them who came from Manila. One colleague said drivers are so bad that when she visit her family there she won't risk her life and refuse to drive.

Again thanks for the up close view of this city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 1:51 AM
Yorkie Yorkie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: York PA
Posts: 262
Thumbs up

*!?*!!!!!....Dam jaw dropping and eye popping, a chaotic hodge podge of east meets west. I too have never seen street level pix before. The culture is a real mix, having been influenced and occupied by so many, a true mega diverse country.....What's for dinner???
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 2:25 AM
Kingofthehill's Avatar
Kingofthehill Kingofthehill is offline
International
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oslo
Posts: 4,051
impeccably done. i have several friends and extended family members from the city. nice to finally see it here. did you try any of the street mangos? or jollibee?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 4:14 AM
ColDayMan's Avatar
ColDayMan ColDayMan is offline
B!tchslapping Since 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cincinnati-Dayton-Columbus
Posts: 19,603
Yup.
__________________
Click the x: _ _ X _ _!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 4:51 AM
destroycreate's Avatar
destroycreate destroycreate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,156
I think this is truly one of the best photo threads I've ever seen on this forum. WHAT A TREAT! How rare we get to see this kind of a thread of Manila.

A couple of thoughts:
- First of all, I traveled extensively through the Philippines in 2008 (namely Palawan--one of the most beautiful places on Earth) and absolutely loved it. In general it definitely felt much poorer than Thailand, but I don't remember Manila looking this rough. I mean quite a few of these shots are reminiscent of the streets in India. What were the areas in which you stayed?
- People often hate on Manila and talk about how ugly/scary/chaotic it is, but I never really felt that way. Everybody was so friendly and open. I stayed at a hostel in Malate/Ermita (which I know if the more touristy area) , and while it wasn't exactly pretty, I was surprised by how relatively tranquil the streets were. For being the supposed downtown of Manila, it didn't really strike me as the epicenter of a city of 12 million. I also visited several other areas of the city, and didn't find it to be as traffic-choked /busy as say Bangkok.
- No matter how much I try to this day, I still can't get myself to be excited over Filipino cuisine (esp. because there are too few vegetables!). How did you find the food just out of curiosity? I was frustrated by how difficult it seemed to be to find Filipino restaurants.
__________________
**16 years on SSP!**
Previously known as LaJollaCA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 5:11 AM
vertex's Avatar
vertex vertex is offline
under the influence...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,598
Best Manila thread I've ever seen, and easily one of the best of the year.

So comprehensive; Quiapo, Binondo, Intramuros, the bayfront, Ayala triangle,
It's been 5 years since my last visit to Mega Manila, so I was looking forward to posting my own uber thread after my visit next month. I doubt I'll be able to compete with yours.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 4:11 PM
Lipani Lipani is offline
It could be worse!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,194
Sabotai strikes again! Always a pleasure to see a thread from one of SSP's best.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 6:49 PM
Danny's Avatar
Danny Danny is offline
Universal Traveler
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 2,165
Smile

Great thread, sabotai! Fantastic phototour about Manila, Philippines. People´s shots are awesome.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:47 PM
sabotai's Avatar
sabotai sabotai is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 453
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
One colleague said drivers are so bad that when she visit her family there she won't risk her life and refuse to drive.

Again thanks for the up close view of this city.
Drivers are pretty insane and no one wears seat belts. Eventually I gave up on trying to dig them out of the taxi back seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTH
impeccably done. i have several friends and extended family members from the city. nice to finally see it here. did you try any of the street mangos? or jollibee?
I did have some mango, along with other street foods like kwek-kwek, corn, pork kebabs, banana cue, etc. --but no balut! Jollibee and Chow-king are also good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate
I think this is truly one of the best photo threads I've ever seen on this forum. WHAT A TREAT! How rare we get to see this kind of a thread of Manila.

A couple of thoughts:
- First of all, I traveled extensively through the Philippines in 2008 (namely Palawan--one of the most beautiful places on Earth) and absolutely loved it. In general it definitely felt much poorer than Thailand, but I don't remember Manila looking this rough. I mean quite a few of these shots are reminiscent of the streets in India. What were the areas in which you stayed?
- People often hate on Manila and talk about how ugly/scary/chaotic it is, but I never really felt that way. Everybody was so friendly and open. I stayed at a hostel in Malate/Ermita (which I know if the more touristy area) , and while it wasn't exactly pretty, I was surprised by how relatively tranquil the streets were. For being the supposed downtown of Manila, it didn't really strike me as the epicenter of a city of 12 million. I also visited several other areas of the city, and didn't find it to be as traffic-choked /busy as say Bangkok.
- No matter how much I try to this day, I still can't get myself to be excited over Filipino cuisine (esp. because there are too few vegetables!). How did you find the food just out of curiosity? I was frustrated by how difficult it seemed to be to find Filipino restaurants.
I stayed at Friendly's in Malate and your perspective is interesting, because I feel like I feel like I failed to capture a lot of human density and chaos of the city. I'd say the metro feels extremely decentralized with Quezon City as the largest city and Manila representing only 14% of the total population. Although I didn't get over to QC much, Makati seemed like the biggest business district. On the bus from Pasay to Baguio, it took over 2 hours just to get past Quezon City and the density feels pretty evenly spread.

I can understand it being too simple for many, but I love Filipino food (although I'm a meat-lover and no fan of vegetables). I also grew up eating adobo and lumpia, so I'm probably biased in that regard. Filipino food is everywhere, but maybe less common in the fancier places with aircon and menus.
__________________
flickr
My Website and Photoblog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 8:48 PM
LSyd's Avatar
LSyd LSyd is offline
Red October standing by
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Columbia/Sumter, SC
Posts: 16,785
awesome tour as usual, thanks. some of the shots kind of have a "New Orleans of Asia" vibe.

-
__________________
"The vapors! The fainting couch! Those heartless elitists are burning down the plantation with their logic and arithmetic!"

-fflint
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 9:52 PM
Xander202's Avatar
Xander202 Xander202 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Posts: 240
Great thread! Not sure I have seen a Manila thread on here before, and certainly not such a good one.
__________________
My Photography Threads
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 11:12 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,251
very interesting place to poke around with a camera.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:03 AM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,359
Beautiful chaos. I'm not sure about safety standards, but I do like the designs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:42 PM
volguus zildrohar's Avatar
volguus zildrohar volguus zildrohar is offline
Flat Top Is My Enemy
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The City Of Philadelphia
Posts: 15,854
7-Eleven's reach is seemingly without limit.

Fascinating collection - the city is truly alive.
__________________
je suis phillytrax sur FLICKR, y'all
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 10:25 PM
jowens jowens is offline
on the south side
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 570
Chaos, continual traffic jams, Jollibee, friendly people, humidity..............what I remember of Metro Manila. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
Southwest Austin
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 11:07 PM
mello's Avatar
mello mello is offline
Babylon falling
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,337
Loved the tour, no nice looking ladies though...
__________________
<<<<< I'm loving this economic "recovery" >>>>>
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:35 AM
bobdreamz's Avatar
bobdreamz bobdreamz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami/Orlando, FL.
Posts: 6,866
Manila looks chaotic as you said but seems line a very interesting city! Great pics!
__________________
Miami : 40 Skyscrapers over 500 + ft. | 152 + meters | 16 U/C !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:18 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Duck and covfefe
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: stuck in the middle with you
Posts: 44,697
Good stuff. A few of those shots reminded me of some scenes in Cuba, just the style of the buildings and tropical climate.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 4:06 AM
DetroitSky's Avatar
DetroitSky DetroitSky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 976
Nice photos! I've always wanted to go here and have never really seen any photos from the street. Thanks!
__________________
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/detcypherurbex/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.