HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 9:16 PM

Metro Manila //city of contrasts

Manila is the chaotic center of a metropolitan area containing nearly 12 million people. It's a pretty crazy place and was quite a shock coming straight from Tokyo.

Past Threads:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 11:07 PM

Very nice as I was curious to see what Manila looks like on the ground. Living in Los Angeles, and especially specifically Long Beach, Carson too there are a lot of Filipino's in my hood. I also have many friends who are as well, and work with good number of them who came from Manila. One colleague said drivers are so bad that when she visit her family there she won't risk her life and refuse to drive.

Again thanks for the up close view of this city.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 1:51 AM

Thumbs up

*!?*!!!!!....Dam jaw dropping and eye popping, a chaotic hodge podge of east meets west. I too have never seen street level pix before. The culture is a real mix, having been influenced and occupied by so many, a true mega diverse country.....What's for dinner???

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 2:25 AM
International

impeccably done. i have several friends and extended family members from the city. nice to finally see it here. did you try any of the street mangos? or jollibee?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 4:14 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Yup.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 4:51 AM

I think this is truly one of the best photo threads I've ever seen on this forum. WHAT A TREAT! How rare we get to see this kind of a thread of Manila.

A couple of thoughts:
- First of all, I traveled extensively through the Philippines in 2008 (namely Palawan--one of the most beautiful places on Earth) and absolutely loved it. In general it definitely felt much poorer than Thailand, but I don't remember Manila looking this rough. I mean quite a few of these shots are reminiscent of the streets in India. What were the areas in which you stayed?
- People often hate on Manila and talk about how ugly/scary/chaotic it is, but I never really felt that way. Everybody was so friendly and open. I stayed at a hostel in Malate/Ermita (which I know if the more touristy area) , and while it wasn't exactly pretty, I was surprised by how relatively tranquil the streets were. For being the supposed downtown of Manila, it didn't really strike me as the epicenter of a city of 12 million. I also visited several other areas of the city, and didn't find it to be as traffic-choked /busy as say Bangkok.
- No matter how much I try to this day, I still can't get myself to be excited over Filipino cuisine (esp. because there are too few vegetables!). How did you find the food just out of curiosity? I was frustrated by how difficult it seemed to be to find Filipino restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 5:11 AM
under the influence...

Best Manila thread I've ever seen, and easily one of the best of the year.

So comprehensive; Quiapo, Binondo, Intramuros, the bayfront, Ayala triangle,
It's been 5 years since my last visit to Mega Manila, so I was looking forward to posting my own uber thread after my visit next month. I doubt I'll be able to compete with yours.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 4:11 PM
It could be worse!

Sabotai strikes again! Always a pleasure to see a thread from one of SSP's best.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 6:49 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Great thread, sabotai! Fantastic phototour about Manila, Philippines. People´s shots are awesome.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:47 PM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
One colleague said drivers are so bad that when she visit her family there she won't risk her life and refuse to drive.

Again thanks for the up close view of this city.
Drivers are pretty insane and no one wears seat belts. Eventually I gave up on trying to dig them out of the taxi back seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTH
impeccably done. i have several friends and extended family members from the city. nice to finally see it here. did you try any of the street mangos? or jollibee?
I did have some mango, along with other street foods like kwek-kwek, corn, pork kebabs, banana cue, etc. --but no balut! Jollibee and Chow-king are also good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate
I think this is truly one of the best photo threads I've ever seen on this forum. WHAT A TREAT! How rare we get to see this kind of a thread of Manila.

A couple of thoughts:
- First of all, I traveled extensively through the Philippines in 2008 (namely Palawan--one of the most beautiful places on Earth) and absolutely loved it. In general it definitely felt much poorer than Thailand, but I don't remember Manila looking this rough. I mean quite a few of these shots are reminiscent of the streets in India. What were the areas in which you stayed?
- People often hate on Manila and talk about how ugly/scary/chaotic it is, but I never really felt that way. Everybody was so friendly and open. I stayed at a hostel in Malate/Ermita (which I know if the more touristy area) , and while it wasn't exactly pretty, I was surprised by how relatively tranquil the streets were. For being the supposed downtown of Manila, it didn't really strike me as the epicenter of a city of 12 million. I also visited several other areas of the city, and didn't find it to be as traffic-choked /busy as say Bangkok.
- No matter how much I try to this day, I still can't get myself to be excited over Filipino cuisine (esp. because there are too few vegetables!). How did you find the food just out of curiosity? I was frustrated by how difficult it seemed to be to find Filipino restaurants.
I stayed at Friendly's in Malate and your perspective is interesting, because I feel like I feel like I failed to capture a lot of human density and chaos of the city. I'd say the metro feels extremely decentralized with Quezon City as the largest city and Manila representing only 14% of the total population. Although I didn't get over to QC much, Makati seemed like the biggest business district. On the bus from Pasay to Baguio, it took over 2 hours just to get past Quezon City and the density feels pretty evenly spread.

I can understand it being too simple for many, but I love Filipino food (although I'm a meat-lover and no fan of vegetables). I also grew up eating adobo and lumpia, so I'm probably biased in that regard. Filipino food is everywhere, but maybe less common in the fancier places with aircon and menus.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 8:48 PM
Red October standing by

awesome tour as usual, thanks. some of the shots kind of have a "New Orleans of Asia" vibe.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 9:52 PM

Great thread! Not sure I have seen a Manila thread on here before, and certainly not such a good one.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 11:12 PM

very interesting place to poke around with a camera.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:03 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Beautiful chaos. I'm not sure about safety standards, but I do like the designs.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:42 PM
Flat Top Is My Enemy

7-Eleven's reach is seemingly without limit.

Fascinating collection - the city is truly alive.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 10:25 PM
on the south side

Chaos, continual traffic jams, Jollibee, friendly people, humidity..............what I remember of Metro Manila. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 11:07 PM
Babylon falling

Loved the tour, no nice looking ladies though...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:35 AM

Manila looks chaotic as you said but seems line a very interesting city! Great pics!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:18 AM
Duck and covfefe

Good stuff. A few of those shots reminded me of some scenes in Cuba, just the style of the buildings and tropical climate.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 4:06 AM

Nice photos! I've always wanted to go here and have never really seen any photos from the street. Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos