HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 9:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Minimis NY View Post
I think that's why it reminds me so much of that row of buildings on 6th--there's nothing particularly wrong with it.
The plazas are awful in this part of 6th. I wasn't sure if I was still in NY the last 2-4 times I was there.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 8:17 PM

Some of the rendering have the buildings with a curved top and others have them as just flat squares. Anybody know what I mean or which one is the current proposal?

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 9:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Minimis NY View Post
This project appears poised to create a 21st Century version of Sixth Ave: a few nearly identical monoliths with large plaza spaces and little personality.  
While this is by no means something to be mourned--as the row of international style buildings on Sixth is far from a blight on the city--it's definitely a major missed opportunity.   

It won't be anything like that. For one thing, there will be only two of them. The towers themselves will be more open, and it will stand across from the Farley.
I liked the idea better when there was the covered canopy, but what the rendering doesn't show is the art that will be installed around the plaza. You aren't going
to get a street through the site, but the opening serves as the next best thing. It lessens the impact of the superblock, encouraging more pedestrian flow.
Street level retail would be nice on the eastern side.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

In this version of construction sequencing, you can see the older version of the "black" residential tower. (And no, this isn't the finished product)

http://vimeo.com/72680064

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 7:31 AM
New Yorker for life

I think the glass and design will surprise a little...

Video Link

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 1:52 PM

Quite boring.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:17 PM
New Yorker for life

I think it ties into the same atmosphere of Related's railyard development and the High Line Park. I like that the lobbies of the office towers themselves are generous and open, but a lot of that has to do with where this development is being built. The open areas are basically the platform. But the makeover of "5 Manhattan West" (450) alone is worth the development.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 6:20 PM

Yimby with an update on the residential tower

http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/05/per...st-street.html

Quote:
Filings for 401 West 31st Street indicate the skyscraper will stand 64 stories to its roof, which will rise 702 feet above street level. The building will have 790 units, with a total area of 756,674 square feet, including a retail component measuring 3,438 square feet.

Brookfield’s page on Manhattan West has several additional details on the tower — which has been dubbed 3 Manhattan West — and saw an apparent design change earlier this year, when a taller iteration was scuttled in favor of the current plan. The entire project is expected to be completed by 2020.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:57 PM
New Yorker for life

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Too bad we didn't get the taller version. But at least it's moving forward, nearly 800 units.

The 63rd floor will be "roof top residential amenity space".

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 6:26 PM

It seems Brookfield is saving money by just tweeting drawings to fit the site, because they are building similar towers in Toronto as well as Calgary.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Not that they'll find tenants anytime soon...

They're sticking with their pile-of-garbage as always.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Not that they'll find tenants anytime soon...

They're sticking with their pile-of-garbage as always.
You say that because?

It's a block away from Penn Station, and NYC is at or near historic lows of available office space. Brookfield isn't putting in the massive amount of money that they are to build this platform unless they have a very good feeling that they can sign major leases.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You say that because?

It's a block away from Penn Station, and NYC is at or near historic lows of available office space. Brookfield isn't putting in the massive amount of money that they are to build this platform unless they have a very good feeling that they can sign major leases.
There are MANY BILLIONS of USD being invested in this area between "Penn Station" and the Hudson River, irrespective of whatever happens to Penn/Moynihan Station & the sale/development of air rights/wtc.

I do want to point a detail in one of the MW renders I like (below). By the time this appealing "breezeway" is built into the current AP HQ building the view of Weehawken, NJ in the western distance (across the Hudson River) will be blocked by the retail podium/whatever of Hudson Yards.

Still, this overall area will look a LOT better than it does now.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 11:48 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of May 25th, 2014...

©Hypothalamus

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothalamus View Post
As of May 25th, 2014...

©Hypothalamus
both towers look taller in this rendering. More ambiguity, I guess. It'll be like this for awhile. The Office towers likely won't rise for awhile unless Brookfield manages to snag a tenant with all of competition.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
both towers look taller in this rendering. More ambiguity, I guess. It'll be like this for awhile. The Office towers likely won't rise for awhile unless Brookfield manages to snag a tenant with all of competition.
Just ignore the rendering height for now, you're not gonna get the height from that. There will be two massive towers, and a residential tower (not pictured in the rendering).

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:34 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Just ignore the rendering height for now, you're not gonna get the height from that. There will be two massive towers, and a residential tower (not pictured in the rendering).
Right, if one really is 3.4 msf it could be higher than the Hudson Spire or 1WTC, unless again, it's really fat.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Right, if one really is 3.4 msf it could be higher than the Hudson Spire or 1WTC, unless again, it's really fat.
You're thinking back to the 1970's plan. (Not really that far back, but it hasn't been that for a couple of years at least.) There is no 3.4 msf tower.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 8:05 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You're thinking back to the 1970's plan. (Not really that far back, but it hasn't been that for a couple of years at least.) There is no 3.4 msf tower.
aw bummer, oh well, hopefully we get a building that tops 1200+, twin towers at about the 400 meter range would be awesome.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:34 AM

No new spans have been laid in months. Any reason for delays?

Concrete segments are accumulating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive