HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roosevelt University Dormitory in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 6:45 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
i still remember the "super dorm" opening on the corner of Congress and State. That alone did wonders livening up the whole area. With this dorm and possibly the Buckingham going up, its really going to create a critical mass of after hours pedestrian activity on those blocks. Definitely the right direction to go for the Loop becoming a more 24/7 neighborhood.
^ From my on foot forays into that part of the south loop lately, that has pretty much already happened. A lot of students everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 12:08 PM

I can't help but furiously dislike this building. I don't understand how this even got approval. It's not proportional even to itself, let alone its surroundings. It's a weak stab at being creative for the sake of creativity, something that might garner a low B in a design studio review, and only if the student presenting it was weasely enough to schmooze the panel of reviewers. It sticks out like a sore thumb and is going to be an eyesore for a very long time. I'd be ready to watch another hideous building like the Columbian rise into the sky before this thing.

Although...maybe if they topped it with some kind of ornament...

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 2:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
I don't understand how this even got approval.
really, you don't understand how it got approved? you're the first person in this thread to express a negative view about this proposal. you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but when a community of casual architecture fans such as this one approves of a proposed design by a > 10-1 margin, i think it's pretty easy to understand how that project might have then also been favorably received by the powers that be.

besides, project approvals don't have much to do with aesthetics, just take a look at the architectural crap-topia that was built in river north over the past decade for concrete proof that the city doesn't give two shits about aesthetics when handing out project approvals.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
really, you don't understand how it got approved? you're the first person in this thread to express a negative view about this proposal. you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but when a community of casual architecture fans such as this one approves of a proposed design by a > 10-1 margin, i think it's pretty easy to understand how that project might have then also been favorably received by the powers that be.

besides, project approvals don't have much to do with aesthetics, just take a look at the architectural crap-topia that was built in river north over the past decade for concrete proof that the city doesn't give two shits about aesthetics when handing out project approvals.
Casual architecture fans clamoring for something, anything of note to discuss seem to me to apparently be far more prone to enjoying a proposal for the sake of its being there than anything else. All comments thus far have been about how good it is that there is "a building" being built there. Nothing has been said as of yet about its form.

Of course project approvals don't have much to do with aesthetics, unless of course said project resides in Reilly's ward, where he seems to take time to think about the long term impact of marquee projects before signing off.

Much of what's been built in a lot of places has been crap for the sake of building cheap. A lot of schlock has gone up around this city, but a lot of good has gone up as well. This building, as a building, simply does not fall into the latter category.

If you'd like to argue against the points I made about why I think it's bad, fine. If you'd like to refute my opinion that it looks like a giant scissor-lift, OK. But to claim that everyone here likes it except me, when I'm the first one that's sounded off on the design itself in any respect outside of referring to the base, rather than just being excited to see something get built, is to ignore the facts.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Casual architecture fans clamoring for something, anything of note to discuss seem to me to apparently be far more prone to enjoying a proposal for the sake of its being there than anything else. All comments thus far have been about how good it is that there is "a building" being built there. Nothing has been said as of yet about its form.
Thats simply not true. This entire thread has been about this buildings form. Why do you think people are posting pictures of similar towers that they admire and hoping it turns out like them? I just made a post about how it seems to do a good job of addressing its sensitive site while still providing a nice contrast to the stone square of the Auditorium. Someone was just discussing how they like the tower portion but question the form of the entrance since the setback seems to made the Fine Arts Annex facade seem like a "column". TUP and Arcedila were just discussing the "nasty blank concrete wall" on the north face, so its not even like this thread is exclusively full of architectural dick-sucking, there has been a minority of criticism as well. You are quite clearly not reading anything thats been said here because about 75% of the comments have been directly on the aesthetics, plan, or massing of the building.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 3:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
But to claim that everyone here likes it except me, when I'm the first one that's sounded off on the design itself in any respect outside of referring to the base, rather than just being excited to see something get built, is to ignore the facts.
ummmmm, try rereading the thread again. i definitely commented on the design, i said it reminds me of "lever house on acid", and there's nowhere in the entire cosmos where that could be considered a bad thing. as for sticking out like a sore thumb, there's no way it could ever dream of sticking out more than it's neighbor CNA. the blue and red actually look great together in the renderings, we'll have to see how the glass turns out in real life.

i'm definitely excited for this project for reasons way beyond "it's the only highrise getting built right now". and that statement is not even true, what with those lagrange schlock-o-ramas also going up right now. i'm not ready to place it in some category of elite, creme-de-la-creme chicago towers, but from what i've seen in the renderings released so far, i'd definitely argue that this proposal holds promise for becoming a very good building, at least.

in any event, i'm not all that concerned with "refuting" any of your opinions, if you don't like the proposed design, then you don't like it, and that's perfectly fine. i just thought your statement "i don't understand how this even got approval" was odd, considering that the design seems quite popular amongst chicago skyline fanboys and given the fact that the city doesn't really factor aesthetics into the approval equation in the first place.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 3:41 PM
BANNED

^^^ And the most-forgetten, 215 W Washington.

Yeah, how the hell is this thing going to stick out when its less than a block away from a building that is super wide, bright red, and like 125 taller? Besides we've already explained a million times that "its going to stick out like a sore thumb" is a completely stupid and invalid argument. You want to see sticking out like a sore thumb go look at pictures of the Hancock when it was finished, or the Aon center, or Sears Tower. Those all turned out to be excellent contributions to our city and the skyline has filled in around them quite handsomely so the "sore thumb" argument is completely and udder BS.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 4:41 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Yeah, how the hell is this thing going to stick out when its less than a block away from a building that is super wide, bright red, and like 125 taller?

It will be completely visible from the south, ie up LSD.

I personally think it is a really nice building.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 4:43 PM

Snap.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 5:35 PM

it is so very exciting to see something new proposed that will actually affect the skyline... its just been too long.

I am elated.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
It will be completely visible from the south, ie up LSD.
Hardly, it will be directly in front of CNA and a whole mound of other taller buildings from that angle. Therefore it will appear only as a foreground building and not stick out at all. Thats like saying 155 Wacker Sticks out because its visible from the NW, sorry but the mound of taller buildings around and behind it makes it just look like another slice of glass in a huge mass of buildings.

Here, picture it in the classic skyline shot:

theorniphile.info

It will essentially just block the view of the Federal Plaza from this angle. The Federal Plaza is hardly noticeable so I don't see how this skinnier building of about equal height will be any different.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 1:28 AM
Ω

I think that picture kind of proves my point. There won't be anything blocking it.

http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~hyde/dan.../SanDiego.html

sorry about the dated, ugly picture but as you can see it's on the edge of the skyline. I think the design will make it instantly distinctive, regardless of height (see the smurfit stone bldg).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 2:21 AM

I like the design a lot. Considering it's not that tall of building, I'm glad they did something diffrent with it to make it stand out. I can't say for sure, because I don't know how it will turn out. But it seems like a building that will be an asset to the skyline. I agree it will standout heading north on LSD. I live in Indy, but everytime I go to Chicago I get off on the Stony Island exit, head through Jackson Park then up LSD. The CNA isn't my favorite building, I like it for the color. But I'm glad part of it will be blocked so it won't be as potent.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 3:01 AM
BANNED

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I think that picture kind of proves my point. There won't be anything blocking it.

sorry about the dated, ugly picture but as you can see it's on the edge of the skyline. I think the design will make it instantly distinctive, regardless of height (see the smurfit stone bldg).
I'm not arguing its going to be invisible. I'm arguing that it will stand out as much as the Federal Plaza or less. Heck its about the same height as several buildings that are visible but not notable in that picture. For example the CSX building, Federal Plaza, Citadel Center, The Heritage, or1 Prudential Plaza. Its not going to stick out like a sore thumb period. Its about 1/3 the height of the Sears Tower and not even a bold color, how is that going to stick out? I don't deny that it will be visible or might even be noticeable like Smurfit Stone. I only deny that it will stick out, it won't, it will fit right in to the skyline like Smurfit Stone does.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 3:06 PM
dream fast

First, thank's for starting this thread, we needed this. Second, I'm a casual architecture fan. I'm happy as hell to to see this project rise. I love the random glass pattern. I like how the glass tower contrasts with it's old school neighbors. I'm not a huge fan of the Brancusi like Endless Column inspired design, but I can live with it. I see this design leading the eye upward, similar to the large scale "Endless Column" or even JHC. Bring it on.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/OUPyV...sPcEYqS8Eai8Pw

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:35 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Anything that comes close to obscuring CNA, I'm on board with. I hate that damn building with a passion.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:44 PM

Definitely some concern about the north facade. The tower to the north may not be built for a long time, and besides, what about the view from the NE e.g. from around Petrillo bandshell? Seems like that enormous gray wall would still be visible from the park.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 7:03 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

Oh wow. I like this one. It's exciting and innovative. Overall I give it high marks and am hoping it goes to construction soon.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 5:35 AM

Especially considering it's a school dorm, and not a $800/sf condo project, this is a spectacularly welcome design. And a great foil to the hulk of CNA - kind of a Fred-and-Ginger thing.

Really the only thing I'd complain about (other than the north face - which seems to have a reason) is the childish/nerdy observation that they didn't shoot for world's tallest dormitory. C'mon, we were so cloooose...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 1:16 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
.....It's a weak stab at being creative for the sake of creativity.....
I'm never sure what this phrase means - maybe that certain elements aren't functional? I'm pretty sure that "being creative for the sake of creativity" wasn't part of the program though LOL.
The bulges create atria for commons. Part of the program also was to rebrand the university as forward-looking, and to re-emphasize Sullivan's Auditorium Building as Roosevelt's centerpiece (which the dorm building connects to).

My own sentiment is that, if nothing else, the curtain wall will be a great backdrop for the AB.

-----

Quote:
.....(W)hen a community of casual architecture fans such as this one approves of a proposed design by a > 10-1 margin, i think it's pretty easy to understand how that project might have then also been favorably received by the powers that be.....
Casual Architecture fans? Dude, you know that we're a bunch of friggin' zealots here. aic4ever must be thinking of SSC, or one of those NYC sites

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Yes, yes - good eye, george.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
Anything that comes close to obscuring CNA, I'm on board with. I hate that damn building with a passion.
Quote:
.....(T)here's no way it could ever dream of sticking out more than it's neighbor CNA.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
CNA never gets any love. Even Kamin dislikes the color.

Am i the only person here who actually, affirmatively likes CNA?

Last edited by wrab; Mar 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive