HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 4:48 AM
Editor

Whew, I'd reply but ugh I want to get this thread back in order. But one question. Why isnt Daquan13 banned for all his spamming and wasteful comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
So, any new action going on at Ground Zero?
Well, apparantly only the Freedom Tower is under construction, amazingly slow. I dont know when the other towers will start.

When dose the second tower start?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 11:04 AM

I'm not sure but I think I heard somewhere around Q1-2 2008...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 1:19 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Let's remember, even though the entire center won't be 100 percent "finished" until early next decade doesn't mean we're not going to see significant steel rising all around it. We're in for a construction treat starting NOW, and another way to look at it is, we'll have several years to savor it.

I still remember immediately after 9/11, when I drove across the Whitestone and saw lower Manhattan without the Twins for the first time. That packed quite an emotional wallop. Not very long from now, the FT will begin to make its presence known from that view... it won't really matter much if it's occupied or not once its outline looms over that skyline.

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Mar 27, 2007 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Look, this is a thread about the construction of the FT. It get's very annoying when someone checks the thread out for relevant info and is bombarded with off topic posts. There is already a forum, for talk of the old WTC. Is it asking too much for people to keep each thread on topic and clean of post after post of irrelevant banter? I mean, a little self moderation would be nice.
Exactly. All it takes is one of these morons to make a statement about the Twins, then the rest of the nuts come out of the woodwork.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Well, apparantly only the Freedom Tower is under construction, amazingly slow.
-The Freedom Tower is under construction. Barely underway a year yet, hardly slow considering much smaller, less complicated towers have taken longer.

-The Calatrava PATH terminal is under construction

-The Memorial is under construction

-The "tub" for towers 2, 3 and 4 is under construction

In short, all of ground zero is under construction, and has been for a while now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:27 PM

Thats right.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:45 AM

Up Date

Thanks NYGuy for that update. I look in here from time to time to get an idea of what is being done down there. Lately all I saw was bickering. I like seeing conscruction news on a conscrution forum, Go figure.

Thanks again
Lance

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
New Yorker for life

From the MSG thread...

Observer (broken into 3 segments)

Childs: ‘Most Extraordinary Project Ever Done’
For David Childs, the Freedom Tower is merely the tip of his Gotham iceberg—there’s also Moynihan Station, vetting other Ground Zero architects, and using I.M. Pei’s advice to navigate City Hall

By Matthew Schuerman

Location: You have a number of publicly funded—or at least very public—projects: the Freedom Tower, Moynihan Station and Sheldon Solow’s East Side development on the Consolidated Edison site. Why do you keep getting chosen to do these projects?

Childs: Well, I love them, frankly. And I also believe that architects should be involved in the cities in which they live. So I therefore have been involved in a lot of city planning through [the Municipal Art Society]. I’ve been around and have been involved in those things. We also have a very large office that, frankly, loves to do very large, complicated projects.

What’s your secret for negotiating all the bureaucratic and political obstacles?

Bureaucratic isn’t so bad. I’m a big believer in community review: You get some of your best insights sometimes from those types of processes.

The most important thing that an architect does—and this was taught to me by I.M. Pei many years ago—is choosing your plan. Sometimes, in the development world, we have had some developers whose aspirations didn’t meet the project that they were doing.

And that’s the dirty work. Any great architect can do something spectacular for City Hall. Sometimes a person who owns the piece of property, you can drag them from doing a B-minus building to doing a B-plus building, and you have achieved a lot. But it is a tough thing to do.

You have said in the past that you wouldn’t mind it if people looked at one of your buildings and never said, “That’s a David Childs building.”

That’s wonderful. Often, architects can have a very clear style. Frankly, I believe that there are certain fundamentals with every project, but stylistically, they vary considerably. That’s because every project is different because of its site, location and program.

I am particularly happy in a project like the World Trade Center. I think it’s kind of funny to have an architect’s name attached to it. It should be the World Trade Center Tower 1, not the Childs Tower.

How do you think your building will fit in with those at the trade-center site by Norman Foster, Richard Rogers and Fumihiko Maki?

When Larry [Silverstein] and I first got together after 9/11, he said, “I want you to be my Yamasaki [the architect of the original World Trade Center].” And I told him, “Larry, you won’t believe this, but I think that you should have many architects. I believe that because it is too big for one person to do.”

He asked me to recommend a list of architects, which I did. I think they have made a good effort to work together.

So you prescreened those three?

My list was longer, but those three were there.

As for Moynihan Station, how are you going to get a basketball arena in the back end of the Farley Post Office?

We’re not. Madison Square Garden is to get [the arena] in the back of Farley. They’ve got an architect from Toronto who is doing that.

So you are just doing the front end?

I would say they would think their front door would be Ninth Avenue. We’re doing the Farley, and I must say what I think is wonderful is what has happened under this developer [a partnership between Vornado Realty and the Related Companies]. They have this combined vision of doing a whole building from Seventh to Eighth [avenues]. Right now, we are trying to look at the biggest picture to do what might be the most extraordinary project ever done.

I thought a different architect might be brought in for each building.

They are! There are many other sites Vornado has in the area. I know that Cesar Pelli will be involved, KPF, our friend Norman Foster and ourselves. The site itself has another 5.5 million square feet.

What is your reaction to the comment that the Freedom Tower will look like a fortress?

That is the most ridiculous thing. It’s stated by people who haven’t even looked at the plans. We did a new design in which the whole building is fractionally larger than the core of the old building. Now we have transfer floors, so this building is a fraction of what it was.

And yes, we have to have a high percentage of solid in that base to get to a point where, any blast from the street, people will be protected where they work.

I had originally thought, in the original proposal, that the base of the building would be stone or metal. In the end, I decided to make it glass. The whole base is cast glass, which is not flat; it is a cast glass with ridges in it that are actually prisms.

Basically, glass over concrete?

No more so than this is glass over concrete [pointing to his window]. Where it is not glass looking through, it is a glass skin that, when light hits it, it breaks into color behind it. I think it will be the most clear, transparent, light color—I think we hit a home run here. When people see it, they are going to love it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
Frigidus Maximus

I am particularly happy in a project like the World Trade Center. I think it’s kind of funny to have an architect’s name attached to it. It should be the World Trade Center Tower 1, not the Childs Tower.

Cue complaints about the name "Freedom Tower," 1... 2... 3....

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:29 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Thanks for posting that interview with Childs, NYguy! Sounds like for all the attention the World Trade Center rebuild is getting, the real action might in actuality be midtown! Staggering thought, when one considers the awesome scale of what will be done at the former "Ground Zero."

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Thanks for posting that interview with Childs, NYguy! Sounds like for all the attention the World Trade Center rebuild is getting, the real action might in actuality be midtown! Staggering thought, when one considers the awesome scale of what will be done at the former "Ground Zero."
The development on the 33rd Street corridor is actually larger than the WTC development. I love it when they think big.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:50 PM
New Yorker for life

BTW, I can't figure out if those are all variations of the Freedom Tower behind Childs...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:10 PM
BANNED

I think they are. Looks like there's a few twisting designs there.

Look closely at the tower to the extreme right behind him on the middle shelf. It looks like the present design that's being built now.

And it looks as though there are those birdcage designs of the tower on the top shelf.

Also, look at the designs below on the bottom shelf. Either those are the bases of 7 WTC or the Freedom Tower.

Last edited by Daquan13; Mar 29, 2007 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:10 PM
BANNED

Is David going to change, or try to get rid of the retarded spire or what, have we all looked at this monstrosity long enough!

Make it similar to the scraper going up in Spain... roof height= 1776... come on Larry we all know you got the bucks!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
Is David going to change, or try to get rid of the retarded spire or what, have we all looked at this monstrosity long enough!

Make it similar to the scraper going up in Spain... roof height= 1776... come on Larry we all know you got the bucks!
It's not Larry's tower anymore.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 9:10 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post

Where is spain is this being built?
any other details you can offer me, this is a nice building

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 9:21 PM

BINARY SYSTEM all you seem to do about this tower is complain. You should be happy its being even built and at that height.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Where is spain is this being built?
any other details you can offer me, this is a nice building
Much nicer than what's being built here!!!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 11:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
Much nicer than what's being built here!!!
It's much better... FT is a joke people- Foster and Roger's towers puke on the FT. I agree eburress!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 11:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's not Larry's tower anymore.
I thought Larry was still the developer... is it the Port Authority now???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive