HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:10 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
same thing with MEXX...i used to load up on their clothes whenever i was in vancouver...now that we have one, i dont ever shop there because every third guy on the street is wearing a MEXX shirt.

ikea stuff is fine now because it takes some effort to get it....if we had one it would be so common that you would have to search for something different.
And this, kids, is why life is so much easier when you're not a fashion slave.

Now give me my goddamn Izod store (what the Bay has doesn't count, they're already past the metrosexual pink in the US)!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:11 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
yeah thats why i would hate to See Target come to Canada - it has a nice cache only being in the states
I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is "cachet". Unless you hide stuff in the back whenever you visit the US.

For the record, I want a Tar-je very badly. They get exclusive nerd toys all the time, and now that I'm in Calgary, it's one hell of an expensive trip to get a $30 Transformer (or whatever). I DID say nerd.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:38 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvan1 View Post
That doesn't explain the constant growth of the company though. I don't have the stats but Ikea is much larger worldwide than it was 10 years ago, 20 years ago etc. The founder is now one of the richest men in the world. It first opened in Richmond BC in 1976 in a fairly small (by today's standards) location. After perhaps 8 years they built a new much-larger store on a larger site. That store was then expanded at least 2 times.

Then about 5 years ago, they added the 330,000 SF Coquitlam store to better support the eastern suburbs and Fraser Valley communities. They're obviously doing a huge volume of business with the 2 stores 30 years later.

If what you suggest is true, it probably affirms the fact that there aren't enough youngish families in Wpg setting up shop in condos, townhouses and older homes that want value-oriented and stylish homeware and furniture. And there aren't enough of these types plus singles migrating to Wpg to bolster the population sufficiently. You might call it "churn". I think the Ikea model depends on fresh blood.
oh yeah...for 90% of the world, everyone else having three poangs wont stop them from buying their own...i was just talking about the cool people....you know people who wouldnt be caught dead wearing izod.

Last edited by trueviking; Feb 4, 2007 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:42 PM

when i was a student, my cubble-hole/apartment was full of ikea furniture.

their styles are good, their stores are well-organized, their staff is friendly, and their prices make sense. unfortunately, the quality of their furniture leaves a lot to be desired. all that particleboard and glue-on connection points allow dressers and desks to disintegrate after a few years.

but, it's still a decent store. if only they offered durability in addition to all their other strong points.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 11:17 PM
Mooderator

Don't try to move an Ikea closet from one home to another, or you can and get yelled at by your wife for effectively pulling it apart by trying to move it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:47 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide_rule View Post
when i was a student, my cubble-hole/apartment was full of ikea furniture.

their styles are good, their stores are well-organized, their staff is friendly, and their prices make sense. unfortunately, the quality of their furniture leaves a lot to be desired. all that particleboard and glue-on connection points allow dressers and desks to disintegrate after a few years.

but, it's still a decent store. if only they offered durability in addition to all their other strong points.
i agree....compared to the alternatives...puffy couches like george costanza's down filled jacket.....living room tables that have a glass top on a concrete ball or pyramid...ikea at least is designed furniture.....if all stores concentrated on design as much as ikea i would be happy.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 2:30 AM

They are going to build an Ikea in the town centre of Southampton, UK and it's population is just over 200,000. Having said that, it would certainly serve a broad population of the south coast of England.

There is talk of an IKEA in Northwest London, Ontario and this is more than just a rumour. London, like Southampton, could serve a market area from Kitchener to Windsor.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
...For the record, I want a Tar-je very badly...
I just came back from a trip to Orlando and visited Tarje there. Loved it! I hope to see them in Canada as well, but as they are very similar to Zellers and Walmart, I doubt that it will make an appearance here. Speaking of Zellers, isn't the owner of Tarje the one and the same as the new owner of Zellers aka HBC Family of Stores?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 4:27 AM
I am a typical

No, I think HBC was bought by a guy in South Caroline. Target is owned by a company in Minneapolis. Target and Zellers are very similar (though Zellers trys too hard and fails more often) so if they did come here, they'd be in direct competition.

But when you look at Zellers and Target, almost everything is the same, right down to the red lines on the floor. It's weird. They may have changed though, I haven't been in either for about two years now.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 4:52 AM

^^Jerry Zucker.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 4:59 AM
I am a typical

Does he own both though? I think the company that has target is called TJH or something?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:28 AM

I don't believe he owns both - just the HBC/Zellers businesses. Don't know anything about Target.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 6:16 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I just came back from a trip to Orlando and visited Tarje there. Loved it! I hope to see them in Canada as well, but as they are very similar to Zellers and Walmart, I doubt that it will make an appearance here.
Yeah, it's basically a Zellers/Wal-mart clone. I just want one because they keep getting exclusive toy releases. Petty, but what'r'ya gonna do?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 9:19 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is "cachet". Unless you hide stuff in the back whenever you visit the US.

For the record, I want a Tar-je very badly. They get exclusive nerd toys all the time, and now that I'm in Calgary, it's one hell of an expensive trip to get a $30 Transformer (or whatever). I DID say nerd.
theres a target 30 minutes from where i live - so i am good

now if the border was eliminated and the wait was always only 5 minutes it would be double banana

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 9:21 AM

Quote:
And this, kids, is why life is so much easier when you're not a fashion slave.

Now give me my goddamn Izod store (what the Bay has doesn't count, they're already past the metrosexual pink in the US)!
izod stores? do they have those?

i have seen IZOD outlets but never a store

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanE View Post
It wasn't until the last couple years that they started opening Ikeas in the US
The first US store opened in 1985...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
izod stores? do they have those?

i have seen IZOD outlets but never a store
No they only have 'factory' stores. Lacoste has a couple of stores in Vancouver though....

Burrard Street

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:08 AM
GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
The first US store opened in 1985...

Yeah but 10 of their 25 stores in the US have opened in the last 2 years, in 1995 there were only 8 stores in the US and only 10 in 2000, not a whole lot for a market the size of the USA, especially compared to now as they are throwing up several a year. Anyways I guess I wasnt very clear in my typing, meant wasnt until the last couple years that they really started to expand into the US market. :p

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/about_i...up_stores.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanE View Post
Yeah but 10 of their 25 stores in the US have opened in the last 2 years, in 1995 there were only 8 stores in the US and only 10 in 2000, not a whole lot for a market the size of the USA, especially compared to now as they are throwing up several a year. Anyways I guess I wasnt very clear in my typing, meant wasnt until the last couple years that they really started to expand into the US market. :p

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/about_i...up_stores.html
yeah they expanded much slower down there compared to Canada

I just read that there are now 3 in texas

--------------------------------

I thought Izod & Lacoste were separate companies?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:28 AM

ok just read - in the 80's Izod and lacoste partnered up to produce some stuff

but they went their separate ways in the 90's

Izod is now owned by Van Heusen - it was never owned by lacoste but they had a partenership and some license agreements

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan