HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Don't count on it... The city would rather a nice looking fire station than a nice looking baseball stadium.

Problem is, a baseball stadium would provide a ROI on their money, whereas a fire station doesn't.
From what I hear Mayor Battle's in favor of the stadium and at that particular location. I personally approached him about it over a year ago. Since then he's come out publicly in support of the idea and understands the importance for one. Seeing that we're about to lose the Stars, a professional baseball franchise that has been a part of the community for 3 decades, he knows why a new stadium is desperately needed. The hard part is getting investors on board for funding and city officials to see the light. It's gonna need tax dollars inclusion, but it'll pay off in the long run. Just make sure another team is committed to coming before building a new stadium.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:11 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
From what I hear Mayor Battle's in favor of the stadium and at that particular location. I personally approached him about it over a year ago. Since then he's come out publicly in support of the idea and understands the importance for one. Seeing that we're about to lose the Stars, a professional baseball franchise that has been a part of the community for 3 decades, he knows why a new stadium is desperately needed. The hard part is getting investors on board for funding and city officials to see the light. It's gonna need tax dollars inclusion, but it'll pay off in the long run. Just make sure another team is committed to coming before building a new stadium.
I'm totally in support of a new stadium, and the Stars are easily my favorite team (since I was a little kid). But, we all need to realized that the city can't possibly afford to build a new field without a team's commitment. So, until the city is able to bring in another franchise... the stadium won't happen.

I still think it's insane that the second most populated region in the state is losing it's team to a tourist town, but the city didn't do what it needed to to retain an entity that the region loved. I hope things will change overtime.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I'm totally in support of a new stadium, and the Stars are easily my favorite team (since I was a little kid). But, we all need to realized that the city can't possibly afford to build a new field without a team's commitment. So, until the city is able to bring in another franchise... the stadium won't happen.

I still think it's insane that the second most populated region in the state is losing it's team to a tourist town, but the city didn't do what it needed to to retain an entity that the region loved. I hope things will change overtime.
I think Battle is fed up with the Stars owner Prentice and wants him to kick rocks and take his team so they can start pursuing another team to come to replace the Stars. The city can use a proposal for a new first class ballpark in downtown as the selling point. Once that's accomplished then we will hear and see an official stadium proposal.

Meanwhile, the city will have an outdated 10,000-seat baseball stadium to decide what to do with. Should it be sold or demolished to make way for a mixed-use development? They could also demolish JDS to make way for a modern stadium as an alternative if they can't get the Coke plant site.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
That pretty much sums it up. Of course, we all discussed this here for a while before it all happened; sorta like watching a train wreck unfold!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:24 PM
America's Mars Rocket

One of the fastest growing BBQ chains in the country opening at Bridge Street (Toys R us side)
Bridge Street spokesman Van Geroux said fast-casual restaurant Dickey's Barbecue Pit will launch this summer next to Mattress Firm at the nearly 7-year-old open-air shopping center.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:01 PM

Lukemon Athletica coming to Village of Providence

Lukemon Athletica, which offers high quality yoga and running apparel is locating on Main Street in Providence. This is quite a coup for this development and it appears that it will be in the Providence Place Apartments building which already has the following retailers: White Dresses, Village Boutique, and Sady's Bistro. Here is a link to the press release on the Village of Providence website:
http://villageofprovidence.com/index...ews&typeID=116

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:03 PM

Todd Towers Apartment Building Renovations

Huntsville Housing Authority is remodeling/ renovating Todd Towers in Downtown Huntsville on the corner Greene Street and Lincoln Street. The cost of the remodeling is 1.75 million. This picture was taken on day one of renovations on 4/11/14.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/12/...ority_o_3.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:10 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzdell917 View Post

Huntsville Housing Authority is remodeling/ renovating Todd Towers in Downtown Huntsville on the corner Greene Street and Lincoln Street. The cost of the remodeling is 1.75 million. This picture was taken on day one of renovations on 4/11/14.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/12/...ority_o_3.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:14 PM

Picture of Todd Towers in Downtown Huntsville

Picture taken by myself Justin M Bzdell.

Taken 04/11/14.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:36 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Downtown Publix

The new Publix supermarket at Huntsville's Twickenham Square development is on track to open next month.

At its meeting last week, the Huntsville City Council granted Publix an off-premise beer and wine license for the grocery store at 310 Pelham Ave. Spokesperson Brenda Reid said Publix will begin moving in as soon as it receives a certificate of occupancy from the city.

"It generally takes us about two weeks to stock the shelves and get ready to open," Reid told AL.com Monday. "We've not confirmed the opening date yet, but we're delighted to be part of the new growth in the downtown Huntsville area."

The 246-unit Artisan apartments at Twickenham Square are nearing completion, and two restaurants, Cajun Steamer Bar & Grill and Mei Wei, will open in the coming months. More restaurant and retail tenants will be announced later.

Reid said the new Publix will be 28,000 square feet – smaller than the chain's typical suburban stores – and employ 100 people. There will also be an in-store pharmacy.

Hiring has already started for the Twickenham Square Publix. Anyone interested in working there should go to an existing Publix and fill out an application at the information kiosk, said Reid.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 12:56 AM
America's Mars Rocket

The old Holiday inn site downtown
Chad Emerson, chief executive officer of Downtown Huntsville, Inc., said the city's planning department is finalizing a Request for Proposal, which will be released to interested parties in the next several weeks.

Emerson said developers are already "lining up" to make proposals on the site near Von Braun Center.

"There's a lot of interest in it," he said Friday. " ... It needs to be a mixture of uses, so it's not just residential, not just a hotel, or not just retail. It's a large-enough site that the Twickenham Square model of a series of mixed uses either next to each other or vertically makes a lot of sense."

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle has said the site, which operated as a Hilton hotel before being rebranded in 2005, could accommodate a number of uses, including restaurants, apartments or a boutique-style hotel.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 10:45 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Taco Mama a Birmingham based restaurant will be locating downtown at Twickenham Square across from Publix. This is the third restaurant announced for the development.

http://www.tacomamaonline.com/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:48 AM

The area just east of Academy Sports on US 72 in Madison/ Huntsville is having the site work done for the new shopping center. Hobby Lobby and a new grocery store are in the development.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:40 PM
America's Mars Rocket

good eats

Established in 2008 in founder Stacy Brown’s Auburn kitchen, Chicken Salad Chick will launch a new restaurant at Westbury Square on 975 Airport Road S.W., Suite K, in Huntsville. Franchisees Bob and Terry Calcote will own and operate the Huntsville location.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 7:16 PM
America's Mars Rocket

The first full-service nail salon and spa in downtown Huntsville will open this fall, commercial real estate firm Crunkleton & Associates announced this week.

Beaute Nail Spa, which is based in Atlanta and operates a location in Dothan, will launch in September near the new Publix grocery store and Artisan at Twickenham Square apartment development at Twickenham Square.
The downtown Publix opens May 7

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 9:50 AM

Huntsville is starving for a skyscraper or a building 15 stories or up. Seems to me the city council can't seem to agree on how to screw in a light bulb. Such a shame for a city with potential.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:35 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Publix, which has built a grocery store and drive-thru pharmacy at the $100 million Twickenham Square downtown, will open to the public at 7 a.m. Wednesday after a 6:45 a.m. ribbon cutting with Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle, Sen. Paul Sanford and Rep. Jim Patterson. It will be the 12th Publix location to open in the Huntsville metro area.

The 33,500-square-foot store on 310 Pelham Ave. S.W. is smaller than Publix's typical suburban locations, but Downtown Huntsville, Inc. Chief Executive Officer Chad Emerson believes the development will work for the growing center city.

"We are one of the smallest downtowns in the country to get this urban prototype, which shows you that Publix believes our downtown is a very strong market," he said. "Publix doesn't build these downtown prototypes just anywhere. Typically, they limit them to where they have a strong level of confidence of success."

In addition to grocery, dairy and frozen food departments, the store offers a full-service meat department, seafood and sushi counters and bakery. The produce department will sell both organic and conventionally-grown fruits and vegetables, while the deli will serve Boar's Head meats and cheeses, made-to-order sub sandwiches and fried and rotisserie chicken.

A full-service pharmacy will also be available at the new Publix, which employs about 100 workers and will offer free parking to customers in a nearby garage. Regular store hours will be 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm assuming downtown Huntsville's Publix will be something very similar to the Publix on The Strip in Tuscaloosa. The one on the The Strip is quite small but carries almost everything you could think of (although, our's obviously has an expanded alcohol section). This one for HSV might now be what urbanites wish for, for the necessities, but Fresh Food will soon be down the street to provide the rest.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:30 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Hey Huntsville project developers/architects remember this

"I'm trying to make a building that people will want to visit, remember, talk about, and enjoy".. Frank Gehry

This city doesn't want or need anymore garbage poorly designed projects.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Hey Huntsville project developers/architects remember this

"I'm trying to make a building that people will want to visit, remember, talk about, and enjoy".. Frank Gehry

This city doesn't want or need anymore garbage poorly designed projects.
I know I am LOVING the look of the new WALL-mart on the parkway. Can't get enough of all that cinderblock...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast