HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:04 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I know what you mean. I used to look to places like Vancouver and Honolulu as an indication of what we might expect with residential high rises here. This was years ago back when they were first announcing they wanted more housing downtown. I have to admit that at the time I wasn't optimistic. I had always favored office towers up to that point, but we've had a good bunch of residential buildings that have changed the way I see them. I always assumed balconies would muddle up the skyline for some reason.

I will say one thing, someone had mentioned the other day how dark our skyline is and that it's really kind of lacking a visually interesting appearance at night, but I think that's mostly a consequence of having so many residential towers. Office buildings don't have any incentive to be dark at night. Their workers aren't stuffing a pillow over their head at their desk to block out the light from a neighboring tower. Residential buildings though, they have an incentive to not go crazy with their lighting since if they don't their neighbors won't either.
Yeah, I travel through Austin a lot at night. I'm always hoping for a light show when I'm traveling up Mopac, but am usually disappointed at how dark it is.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 7:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Even our office buildings tend to lack in showstopping lighting. The One Congress building has its lights back on, (for a time they were out) and it's one of our nicer lit buildings along with Frost Bank and 100 Congress. The rest really don't have anything to write home about in terms of lightning. I really hope the next wave of office towers changes that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin