HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:40 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
I know for a fact that they are already building out their AWS team in Chicago.
Do you know at what scale?
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
That doesn't mean anything for Chicago.

Amazon quote from the article:

"We do not intend to re-open the HQ2 search at this time. We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville"
Actually, it absolutely does mean something for Chicago. Its really weird that you chose to not to quote the next thing in their statement:

Quote:
We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada.
Also:
Quote:
An Amazon spokesman added, “We plan to create the 25,000 jobs that were supposed to happen in NYC across our current tech hubs network in North America.” Chicago is one of 17 cities that Amazon dubs its tech hubs in North America.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/reta...york-drop-dead

This could mean literally a few thousand more jobs for Chicago for Amazon. I'm not sure on what world this means nothing for Chicago other than you chose to omit these pieces of information.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:44 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Amazon says it will hire more at all of its corporate locations. So I am pretty sure they will hire in Chicago. Logically, if they spread those 25k jobs and beef up in regional centers that would mean that Chicago gets a bit more hires. Is it 25,000? No, but it could mean 1000 or more, maybe.

From their official statement:
According to Crains, Amazon is increasing their downtown office from 200 to 400.

They've got 5000 in Brooklyn.

Just makes no sense. Chicago needs to stop trying to appeal to them. Their executives have a "flyover" mentality of this place and it's time to embrace all of the companies that actually value Chicago for the talent and business powerhouse that it is.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
According to Crains, Amazon is increasing their downtown office from 200 to 400.

They've got 5000 in Brooklyn.

Just makes no sense. Chicago needs to stop trying to appeal to them. Their executives have a "flyover" mentality of this place and it's time to embrace all of the companies that actually value Chicago for the talent and business powerhouse that it is.
Amazon has offices in my office building in Manhattan. I have a few former coworkers who work for them now in NYC. I'm very confident they don't have 5000 corporate office workers in Brooklyn. Maybe you're talking about warehouse jobs, which isn't what this is about. We are talking about corporate office jobs, and the vast majority of these are in Manhattan. Many are in my office building. Whatever information you are getting about Brooklyn is complete and utter bullshit in the realm of corporate office jobs for Amazon. I guarantee you the vast majority are in Manhattan when talking about these types of jobs.

The spokesman for Amazon said they will be hiring those 25,000 workers across their 17 corporate hubs, and one of those is Chicago. Its moronic to assume that as of right now they will magically skip hiring a bunch of people in Chicago after that statement.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:49 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/reta...york-drop-dead

February 14, 2019 10:53 AM |updated 6 minutes ago

Amazon to New York: Drop dead

“We plan to create the 25,000 jobs that were supposed to happen in NYC across our current tech hubs." Chicago is one of them.

Amazon took its ball and went home, dropping plans for a major expansion in New York City that could have included 25,000 jobs.

While it’s a blow to New York, it’s good news for Chicago and other cities.

“We do not intend to reopen the HQ2 search at this time,” the company said. “We will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada.”

An Amazon spokesman added, “We plan to create the 25,000 jobs that were supposed to happen in NYC across our current tech hubs network in North America.” Chicago is one of 17 cities that Amazon dubs its tech hubs in North America.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Do you know at what scale?
Not from a "jobs created" aspect, but LinkedIn has 117 current opening for AWS in Chicago.

I was interested and spoke with a friend who is an AWS Account Manager in the NYC office. He told me they are starting/expanding the team in Chicago. These are almost all sales and solution architect type roles.

Last edited by moorhosj; Feb 14, 2019 at 10:32 PM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Not from a "jobs created" aspect, but LinkedIn has 117 current opening for AWS in Chicago.

I was interested and spoke with a friend who is an AWS Account Manager in the NYC office. He told me they are starting/expanding the team here. These are almost all sales and solution architect type roles.
^ here meaning, "here" in New York.... or "here" in Chicago?

I believe you meant Chicago but just checking to be sure.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:35 PM

Is Amazon’s Chicago office in Gurnee?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
^ here meaning, "here" in New York.... or "here" in Chicago?

I believe you meant Chicago but just checking to be sure.
Good catch, I meant Chicago (I edited the original comment to be more clear).

As a side note, I found it interesting how clear the branding delineation is between "Amazon" and "AWS". I wouldn't be surprised if they spun it out or split it up in the next few years like Google did with Alphabet.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
These jobs are at 227 W Monroe St.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
No, it's in the Loop and there was news of expansion in the last year or so. Why would they have a corporate tech center located in Gurnee of all places? That makes no sense.

Outside of the Loop office, the only other tech hubs they have in the midwest is in Minneapolis. Outside of those, Seattle, DC, NYC, and the Bay Area, their other hubs are in Vancouver, Boston, Los Angeles, Austin, Toronto, Dallas, Portland, Phoenix, Atlanta, Denver, Detroit, and Pittsburgh.

All of these places according to the spokesperson will be expanding further in headcount than previously planned. By how much and when for each? No idea, but if I'm a betting man I'd hope at least 2000 new hires for Chicago. Interestingly, there's only 2 hubs with Amazon Media Group - NYC and Chicago. I believe it's advertising - one of my now former coworkers is about to start working for this in NYC, so I know they're hiring. Would be interesting to see how much they expand this.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:14 AM
THAT Guy

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...214-story.html

Quote:
​​​​​​​Google will expand finance team to Chicago, adding 'hundreds' of jobs

Google plans to create “hundreds” of new jobs in Chicago this year, expanding the office it already calls its Midwest headquarters.

The tech giant employs more than 1,000 people at its Chicago office, which opened as a sales outpost in 2000 and has grown to include engineers and other tech workers. The new jobs are a result of the company’s decision to expand its finance team here as well, said Rob Biederman, head of government relations and public affairs for Google in the Midwest.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 5:49 PM

^ Was watching the Live stream and Rahm said Google is going from 1200-1400 current workers to 2500-2800 within the next year, at the 51:20 time mark. The West Loop never disappoints

Source: https://digital.cityofchicago.org/index.php/video-2/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
I know for a fact that they are already building out their AWS team in Chicago.
Amazon's location/position page should be a pretty good proxy for what roles they have where and a sense of scale

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/locations..._america&cache

Last edited by VKChaz; Feb 15, 2019 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 11:33 PM

Great news regarding Google hiring a good number of people in Chicago and also Chicago being selected as a hub to hire hundreds of Finance professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Amazon's location/position page should be a pretty good proxy for what roles they have where and a sense of scale

Interesting little spread of jobs available. A bit of architect roles available - the solutions architect appears to work directly or almost directly with some of the higher $$$$ customers to come up with unique solutions for their business.

The whole blurb on Chicago on that page makes me believe that Amazon knows Chicago is kind of up and coming in this industry currently. They mention Chicago as a "burgeoning tech scene" but for Minneapolis they tout the affordability and the like. For Dallas it's about things like how many corporate HQ are near by. Boston is about the education, medical, etc in the area, etc. Irvine, CA (near Los Angeles) is about the weather.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 2:26 AM
પટેલ. કે ન

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post

Kind of funny that there are almost 10,000 jobs open in Seattle.

No wonder HQ 1.5 happened.

There is no way those jobs could ever be filled even by a quarter in years.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Kind of funny that there are almost 10,000 jobs open in Seattle.

No wonder HQ 1.5 happened.

There is no way those jobs could ever be filled even by a quarter in years.
One of the reasons for HQ2 wasn't because of this really. There's already almost 50,000 corporate office workers in Seattle. That's a lot of job openings, but yeah. Not really the reason why. They have absolutely ZERO trouble recruiting people out to Seattle. They're a well known juggernaut and this is not the reason why at all.

One of the major reasons behind HQ2 was because of the negative effect they had on Seattle in terms of cost of living. They have had a really positive one of course - the city has come on strong. However, they made it way more un-affordable. To put this into perspective: Seattle city in January had more $1M+ home sales than Chicago city despite the fact that it's only about 1/4 the population of Chicago. Out of all the cities I can see on realtor.com for this metric:

NYC: 757 sales (Manhattan = 349 sales, Brooklyn = 244 sales, Queens = 122 sales, Bronx = 25 sales, Staten Island = 17 sales)
San Francisco: 211 sales
San Jose: 176 sales
Los Angeles: 151 sales
San Diego: 133 sales
Seattle: 114 sales
Washington DC: 114 sales
Boston: 92 sales
Chicago: 88 sales
Portland: 45 sales
Charlotte: 31 sales
Denver: 30 sales
Atlanta: 29 sales
Miami Beach: 28 sales
Miami: 27 sales
Oakland: 27 sales
Baltimore: 22 sales
Las Vegas: 21 sales
Minneapolis: 21 sales
Nashville: 21 sales
Jacksonville: 20 sales
Cleveland: 19 sales
Jersey City, NJ: 18 sales
Phoenix: 18 sales
Philadelphia: 16 sales
Columbus, OH: 15 sales
Honolulu: 11 sales

BTW The last few months have been down in sales for Chicago - there were more sales back in the fall/summer of course.

The rent prices in areas like downtown Seattle are basically similar to that of downtown Chicago. The fact that it's a small place, the public transit isn't as far reaching as other places, etc means that if they hired ANOTHER 50,000 people in Seattle, it would have become another San Francisco in terms of cost of living. While Seattle is not cheap, it's also not like SF. They knew this and there's many reasons why they asked for only metropolitan areas of population 1+ million to submit proposals to them for HQ2.

Ultimately due to things like their timeline and workforce size, only a handful of metro areas actually made sense, which I stated time and time again on here - NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, DC, Dallas, Toronto, and Atlanta. With respect to cost of living, the actual cities of Boston and DC would be too small - they picked an area near Arlington, VA which is also not cheap, but not like DC. The prices of Arlington are closer to that of downtown Chicago or Seattle.

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 16, 2019 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:54 AM
The City

Convene, flexible workspace operator, plans to expand Chicago office footprint to 1 million sf:

https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...ig-plans-97506

Old Posted Today, 5:14 AM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...linois-economy

Moody's sees reason for optimism over Illinois economy

Quote:
Boosted by booming downtown Chicago and a perhaps surprising revival of downstate manufacturing, Illinois’ economy is showing signs of pulling out of its mid-decade funk, according to a new report prepared for the state by Moody’s Analytics. The growth of personal income compared to other Midwest states has been particularly impressive, the New York research firm says.

But state job growth, while improving, still lags the nation and the region. And unless the state can reverse its population loss, its economic recovery will be limited, Moody’s says.

With the official unemployment rate now down to 4.2 percent, the state “has moved beyond full employment into late cycle expansion,” Moody’s reports. That’s led to a net addition of about 70,000 jobs in the past year, two-thirds more than in 2017. About a quarter of the jobs are in manufacturing.

With the state’s labor force stable, “the result has been accelerating wage growth . . . (and) the quality of new jobs keeps improving as well; the pace of job creation in high- and mid-wage occupations is the strongest it has been during this cycle.” In fact, on a four-quarter moving average basis, personal income growth in Illinois now is the highest of any Midwest state.

Moody’s points to two factors: More manufacturing in areas such as the Quad Cities, Rockford and Peoria, and “flourishing” job and real estate markets in the central area of Chicago. Moody’s underlines—as I have in past coverage, as have the mayoral candidates—that many outlying sections of the city have not joined in that prosperity. But the firm is surprisingly positive about the city’s overall prospects, saying Chicago “will continue to develop as the transportation and distribution center for the Midwest” and will “increasingly develop its tech industry.”

On that point, Moody's adds, “The explosion of tech-related hiring on the Near North and Near West sides and corporate locations from the suburbs such as those by Walgreens, Mondelez International, Peapod, Hillshire Brands, Kraft Heinz and United Continental Holdings, suggest that this new economic engine has reached critical mass enabling growth to become self-perpetuating.”

Now the bad news.

For the first time since World War II, the state lost population for five years in a row, and that lack of labor force and purchasing power is really affecting lower-wage positions, “especially population-dependent industries such as retail, that has detracted most from total employment growth.” That, plus the hangover from the state’s fiscal crisis, “threatens to discourage firms from locating or remaining in the state,” Moody’s says.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest