HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:26 AM

Ok, my brain is having some issues, so am throwing myself on the mercy of the most excellent researchers there are. I'm doing some work on early Hill Street and a couple pictures are confounding me. Any input would be appreciated.

These two Widney houses. Here's this image of Joseph Widney's pad at 321 S Hill.

usc

Problem is, here's the 1888 Sanborn. 321, bottom, doesn't look much like it, other than the bay window on the south side. I'm thinking the image was shot earlier in the 80s (JP seems to have moved to 321 in '83, see below) and then made an addition to it (stretching out the north side of the facade to the east) between then and '88. Thoughts? And what do we think is up there on the hillside?

Now also at USC is this image of "Judge Widney"'s residence. See how much it looks like 321's neighbor, on the Sanborn.

usc

Sure looks like 317 (or whatever that address is between 321 and 309) to me, but there's no listing for a Widney there, but there is a listing for a Widney at 309 (they say Robert lives there but in the same '83 listing say he lives on Hill "between Fourth and Fifth"), but 309 doesn't look like this on the Sanborn. Opinions?

A roundup of Widneys moving about in the 80s:

Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
my mom says it's a Packard. (but she can't see very well)
Mothers know things.

That ''thing'' under the car could just be a random newspaper.

Old Posted Today, 1:19 AM

At first I was going to smart off...but now I'm beginning to see a possible newspaper as well CBD.

Here are a few more snapshots of people posing by the same car.

Easter 1931

The same seller also had this snapshot on ebay. ( a few months ago...along with the photographs shown above)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:23 AM

Old Posted Today, 1:32 AM

That's a great one Harry.

I know we've discussd this strange place in the past, but I'm not sure if we ever figured out the location. (I'll have to check the old posts)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Today, 5:42 AM

Initially I thought this was one of the Pneumonic Plague photographs' that someone is selling reprints of on Ebay.

But this one is an original print. (creases and all)

"RAT CATCHERS 1920 photograph CITY OF LOS ANGELES HEALTH DEPARTMENT Badges CAGES Dead Rats"

EBAY

SELLER'S DESCRIPTION:

"One original old photograph. Looks like the whole team showed up for this one. Some are wearing badges. One can easily read a can at right that states
'HEALTH DEPARTMENT CITY OF LOS ANGELES STATE OF CALIFORNIA'. Guy kneeling at left appears to be hiding and does not want to be seen. Dead rats are placed about."

HERE

Old Posted Today, 6:07 AM

According to information found on https://playingintheworldgame.com/20...hoot-i-scream/

"The cafe was built at 1201 Valley Boulevard, Rosemead, CA and stayed there from around 1926-1928. The land was sold to a new owner, and the building relocated to 8404 Long Beach Boulevard, three blocks away. Information from the South Gate Directory, dated July 1st, 1945, shows the building at this address from 1928 – 1949. It relocated again in 1949 to 8711 Long Beach Boulevard, and remained there until its demolition in 1979." Here's how it looked in 1977.
Hoot Owl Cafe, horizontal view, 8711 Long Beach Boulevard, Southgate, Los Angeles, California (LOC) by The Library of Congress, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos