HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:13 AM

^ Great idea!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:18 PM

hmmm I think maybe if the proposed city-wide historic preservation tax was coupled with a city-wide transit modernization tax it would have a better chance of passing. I'm not sure how many people outside of this forum would vote to pay more in taxes for the sake of some old buildings. To get votes it should provide something new and impactful for the voters.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:28 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
hmmm I think maybe if the proposed city-wide historic preservation tax was coupled with a city-wide transit modernization tax it would have a better chance of passing. I'm not sure how many people outside of this forum would vote to pay more in taxes for the sake of some old buildings. To get votes it should provide something new and impactful for the voters.
I'd personally wouldn't vote for the historic preservation sales tax (I also didn't vote for the scholarship tax or the food desert tax) as, while a great idea, I think it's outside of the purveyance of the city given the greater importance of improving transit. Rule of law, health & safety, transportation, and guiding/encouraging development are the primary responsibilities of the city. After that we're in "nice to have" things and we've already spent our limit on that with scholarships and veggies for poor kids.

Now maybe a small property tax increase..... though I think is probably going to be where we get our transit funding from in the near future.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
After that we're in "nice to have" things and we've already spent our limit on that with scholarships and veggies for poor kids.
The same; I didn't vote for any of those things either

Obviously I'm into infrastructure after the basics. Public Safety is always the Big Item but at (only) 39% of the General Fund that's impressive. I'd expect to see an upward drift in that percentage. With the Elevate Denver Bonds the investment in infrastructure is credible.

I wonder if they couldn't squeeze a "Save the Square" tax into the 'tourism' ie lodging and car rental taxes? There's actually logic in doing this. The private sector issue though is problematic I suspect.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:44 PM

Probably because there wasn't the design review hassles but I just realized that Kenect Phoenix is already under construction. For the curious, shovels in October with rendering; Webcam shows foundation work.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Probably because there wasn't the design review hassles but I just realized that Kenect Phoenix is already under construction. For the curious, shovels in October with rendering; Webcam shows foundation work.
Last time I drove past that lot it had a ton of dirt on it. Figured they were using it as temp space for whatever they are currently building on the other side

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:35 PM

Have there been any notable groundbreakings recently? I thought several RiNo projects were supposed to start but I haven't seen or heard anything about them.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Nitpick: Block 176 Tower 1 is 414 feet. Tower 2 is 349 feet.
I thought I remembered hearing a rumor way back that they were trying to have these break ground sometime this month? Do you know anything about this by chance?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
I thought I remembered hearing a rumor way back that they were trying to have these break ground sometime this month? Do you know anything about this by chance?
https://businessden.com/2019/02/20/o...before-summer/

Looks like summer or fall

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:40 PM

Hopefully that project gets off of the ground. That project will help downtown become more residential and hopefully start some momentum for our condo market.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:46 PM

Side note: Not only is it pretty cool seeing a cluster of three cranes for the Rockies project, they light them up in purple at night now! Worth checking out when you get a chance!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:44 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
We recently passed several sales tax increases for various things. I wonder if a city-wide historic preservation tax (small-ish, like 0.05%) would be feasible. The money raised could then be bonded against and used for subsidies and/or low-cost loans.
Or we could, you know, just allow for added density and not have to pay for it through yet another tax. To go with the quadrupling of our city taxes that folks want to fund an umpteen billion dollar program for transit. Keep it up, Denver, and my kids are going to need a few of those healthy school lunches we approved last time around.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:52 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Or we could, you know, just allow for added density and not have to pay for it through yet another tax. To go with the quadrupling of our city taxes that folks want to fund an umpteen billion dollar program for transit. Keep it up, Denver, and my kids are going to need a few of those healthy school lunches we approved last time around.
But, but, but... the character of Denver's neighborhoods!

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
But, but, but... the character of Denver's neighborhoods!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Side note: Not only is it pretty cool seeing a cluster of three cranes for the Rockies project, they light them up in purple at night now! Worth checking out when you get a chance!
Cool touch!

First Spring Training game is Saturday, 1:10 p.m. High for the day will be a cold 55 degrees but at least the rain will be outta here.

Quote:
Now maybe a small property tax increase..... though I think is probably going to be where we get our transit funding from in the near future.
Canada relies on property taxes to fund transit. They do get both national and provincial financial support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
To go with the quadrupling of our city taxes that folks want to fund an umpteen billion dollar program for transit.
Which is why it's better to spread the pain throughout the whole RTD district - aside from some modest tack-on stuff.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:16 PM

New Concept proposal at 727 14th Street - the surface parking lot at Stout and 14th directly across from the convention center:

Quote:
Concept - The proposed project includes the design of a new 27-story hotel with two underground levels of parking on approximately 25,000 square feet of land.
Marriott brand. 340 feet tall with 83 parking spaces. 341,000 square feet of floor area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
New Concept proposal at 727 14th Street - the surface parking lot at Stout and 14th directly across from the convention center:

Marriott brand. 340 feet tall with 83 parking spaces. 341,000 square feet of floor area.
Any renderings available? When do we call Downtown Denver, specifically this area, saturated with hotels?

This is in addition to the proposed dual-brand hotel at 13th & Glenarm (300 rooms), the Block 162 hotel (450 rooms) and Hyatt Centric at 18th & Champa (282 rooms) as well as the recently completed Hyatt House and Le Meridien/AC. That would be well over 1000 rooms proposed.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Any renderings available? When do we call Downtown Denver, specifically this area, saturated with hotels?

This is in addition to the proposed dual-brand hotel at 13th & Glenarm (300 rooms), the Block 162 hotel (450 rooms) and Hyatt Centric at 18th & Champa (282 rooms) as well as the recently completed Hyatt House and Le Meridien/AC. That would be well over 1000 rooms proposed.
No renderings that I can find, yet.

You did forget the Home2/Tru under construction on 15th (382 rooms) and the 16th and Market project (220 rooms).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:24 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post

There's also Stonebridge's project at the old Emily Griffith building.

I'd certainly take four new hotel towers in the upper CBD.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
There's also Stonebridge's project at the old Emily Griffith building.

I'd certainly take four new hotel towers in the upper CBD.
And the losers can just become Studio apartments or go half and half. Srsly, isn't that the worst case?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West