HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Halifax Urban Forest

I have been considering HRM's green space lately, as I've been reading about how other cities and other countries deal with their environmental pursuits while trying to cut their budgets.

As many of you are well aware Halifax values its green space. With its extensive tree canope it's hard to come by a downtown that is more walkable.

Halifax does have green space that never gets used, however. And this is actually not at all the fault of Haligonians who are leaving this green space idle.

The green space I have in mind is that around our roadways. Grass strips, for example, around the elevated intersection upon entering the downtown via Barrington Street--and the roads leading to the bridges--are what I'm getting at.

Instead of having grass no one uses, which the taxpayers pay to maintain regardless, why not have trees instead?

One of my favourite approaches to the downtown is via Barrington, mainly because of the wonderful tree density you see to the left of the street (masking the navy dockyard). This kind of tree density adds a beautiful green contrast to urban centres.

Yes--grass can look 'neat' and 'tidy', but HRM opts out of that... We don't regularly cut most of the grassed areas.

By choosing native tree species we can save on the costs of maintaining them, even completely eliminating costs.

Frankly: Grass is great for a baseball field that see tons of feets...but grass is useless if you aren't using it; it's useless to the majority of wildlife; it's useless to our environmental commitments; it's useless to decreasing labour costs of landscaping maintenance.

Idle grass is literally DEAD space.
HRM has a lot of DEAD space.
We could have many, many more trees instead.

Thoughts?

P.S.: I wish Halifax had more evergreens so we'd have more green colouration during the winter months

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:18 AM

I'll post more on this later but I do agree with your post RyeJay.

One thing I think HRM needs to start thinking of installing is bushes in the landscaped strip between the sidewalk and major roads. To make it work only sections where parking is banned and driveways are limited should be considered. Trees can be installed along with these bushes. With proper maintenance these can provide a clear distinction between the road users and during the winter they would act as safety barriers from snowplows, slush, mud, and slipping onto the roadway (I've seen it happen thankfully no cars were approaching).

An example of where HRM needs to work on its urban forest coverage is arguably the ugliest and most well-used road in the municipality; Windmill Road. Right now the Burnside section ranges from six to eight lanes of traffic and is congested from sunrise to sunset. I walk this road twice daily and the lack of tree coverage makes for an unbearable walk. The pollution from idling vehicles stays on the road which causes coughing and dizziness in the few people that dare walk the road.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I have been considering HRM's green space lately, as I've been reading about how other cities and other countries deal with their environmental pursuits while trying to cut their budgets.

As many of you are well aware Halifax values its green space. With its extensive tree canope it's hard to come by a downtown that is more walkable.

Halifax does have green space that never gets used, however. And this is actually not at all the fault of Haligonians who are leaving this green space idle.

The green space I have in mind is that around our roadways. Grass strips, for example, around the elevated intersection upon entering the downtown via Barrington Street--and the roads leading to the bridges--are what I'm getting at.

Instead of having grass no one uses, which the taxpayers pay to maintain regardless, why not have trees instead?

One of my favourite approaches to the downtown is via Barrington, mainly because of the wonderful tree density you see to the left of the street (masking the navy dockyard). This kind of tree density adds a beautiful green contrast to urban centres.

Yes--grass can look 'neat' and 'tidy', but HRM opts out of that... We don't regularly cut most of the grassed areas.

By choosing native tree species we can save on the costs of maintaining them, even completely eliminating costs.

Frankly: Grass is great for a baseball field that see tons of feets...but grass is useless if you aren't using it; it's useless to the majority of wildlife; it's useless to our environmental commitments; it's useless to decreasing labour costs of landscaping maintenance.

Idle grass is literally DEAD space.
HRM has a lot of DEAD space.
We could have many, many more trees instead.

Thoughts?

P.S.: I wish Halifax had more evergreens so we'd have more green colouration during the winter months
I agree. Grass is often useless. Unfortunately, Halifax - along with many other NA cities - have mandated the application of CPTED principles (or urban design standards designed by police), which would make replacing grass with trees or bushes - especially along walkways - difficult.MacKay bridge approach may work well though with trees.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
Fizzix geek

I am not so sure that bushes would work, just because I think there is a high potential for them to be damaged by the snowplows/banks (especially once they get buried). Salt-resistant trees though are definitely a huge improvement over simply grass, especially over the long haul.

When I lived in New Mexico almost no one had grass because of water constraint issues, and so the city streets were mostly lined with yucca plants, palms etc.

There was one strip alone old Route 66 though were they had planted stuff that needed to be watered, and the thoroughly amusing part was that at some point someone had clearly thrown out the stub of a joint, and one of the seeds found route. By the time that someone realized that the city was happily (in ignorance) watering a pot plant it had gotten huge! LOL

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 12:42 PM
opinionated so and so

Biggest issue for trees along roadways right now is the 20 foot easement that NSPI now requires on new development/new planting... either we mandate some manor of undergrounding or we will never get nice treed neighbourhoods in the new development.

For the record - I hate grass unless it is on a sports field. By next summer there will be no grass in front of the house, all raised beds with perennials between the sidewalk and the street, flowers in front of the house... the year after we plan on putting slate in the garden out back, to create a patio in the small square of land that is not garden yet.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I am not so sure that bushes would work, just because I think there is a high potential for them to be damaged by the snowplows/banks (especially once they get buried). Salt-resistant trees though are definitely a huge improvement over simply grass, especially over the long haul.
There are many salt-resistant bushes. We don't need to limit ourselves to evergreens; there are many perennial-types that will simply drop all above-ground growth, to rise once again in the spring. There are native species we could be using right now that don't require any maintenance.

Quote:
When I lived in New Mexico almost no one had grass because of water constraint issues, and so the city streets were mostly lined with yucca plants, palms etc.
Yes! This is something on which we need to be ahead of the curve. New Mexico was forced to act in such a way due to water shortage. Halifax shouldn't wait until we're drinking our own pee (like Texas, no joke) to admit that...gee...perhaps, just maybe, [B]grass[B] isn't worth our investment.

Freshwater shortages are going to be rampantly common in the coming years.

Quote:
There was one strip alone old Route 66 though were they had planted stuff that needed to be watered, and the thoroughly amusing part was that at some point someone had clearly thrown out the stub of a joint, and one of the seeds found route. By the time that someone realized that the city was happily (in ignorance) watering a pot plant it had gotten huge! LOL
Or maybe not in ignorance

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
An example of where HRM needs to work on its urban forest coverage is arguably the ugliest and most well-used road in the municipality; Windmill Road. Right now the Burnside section ranges from six to eight lanes of traffic and is congested from sunrise to sunset. I walk this road twice daily and the lack of tree coverage makes for an unbearable walk. The pollution from idling vehicles stays on the road which causes coughing and dizziness in the few people that dare walk the road.
Haha, I have family from Saint John, NB that tell me how ugly and polluted the Windmill Road area is when they visit Halifax. ......and that's sayin a lot.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Biggest issue for trees along roadways right now is the 20 foot easement that NSPI now requires on new development/new planting... either we mandate some manor of undergrounding or we will never get nice treed neighbourhoods in the new development.
I need to read some material on this I think. I am not at all versed on these regulations. I wonder how old these rules are.

Quote:
For the record - I hate grass unless it is on a sports field. By next summer there will be no grass in front of the house, all raised beds with perennials between the sidewalk and the street, flowers in front of the house... the year after we plan on putting slate in the garden out back, to create a patio in the small square of land that is not garden yet.
I've seen quite a few homes in the Maritimes convert their grassed properties into something you're talking about. I too prefer the appearance of garden landscaping, as opposed to endless green carpet.

My neighbours in Moncton got rid of most of their grass and replaced it with temperate and subtropical trees and bushes. Holy hell do the birds and butterflies ever love it!! I even saw Cardinals, which is somewhat rare for New Brunswick.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:05 PM

Quote:
I need to read some material on this I think. I am not at all versed on these regulations. I wonder how old these rules are.

I've seen quite a few homes in the Maritimes convert their grassed properties into something you're talking about. I too prefer the appearance of garden landscaping, as opposed to endless green carpet.

My neighbours in Moncton got rid of most of their grass and replaced it with temperate and subtropical trees and bushes. Holy hell do the birds and butterflies ever love it!! I even saw Cardinals, which is somewhat rare for New Brunswick.

What street in Moncton?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 1:05 AM

Quote:
I did that this year with my place. Took out the grass between the street and the sidewalk and planted Gooseneck, Daylilies, Violets and a few Hostas. A little sparse right now but the Lilies will fill out and the Violets will spread. I'm also planting some bulbs this fall (I live on Tulip Street so Tulips are mandatory). Should be nice mature gardens in a year or two, will look great and I won't have to mow it!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 2:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM View Post
What street in Moncton?
I am on Glenmoor

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 2:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I did that this year with my place. Took out the grass between the street and the sidewalk and planted Gooseneck, Daylilies, Violets and a few Hostas. A little sparse right now but the Lilies will fill out and the Violets will spread. I'm also planting some bulbs this fall (I live on Tulip Street so Tulips are mandatory). Should be nice mature gardens in a year or two, will look great and I won't have to mow it!
What colour Daylilies and Violets?

I've seen the Violets most often in...well..violet, but there is a white variety I believe.

And Hostas are so great. They are a godsend for any garden that gets too much shade for other plants.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
What colour Daylilies and Violets?

I've seen the Violets most often in...well..violet, but there is a white variety I believe.

And Hostas are so great. They are a godsend for any garden that gets too much shade for other plants.
The Daylilies were a mix of colours. Some red, yellow and whites. Hopefully they'll be something blooming with the mix throughout the summer. The violets were King Henry (purple), Johnny Jump Ups (blue and yellow) and some white ones that I got from the backyard of my Mom's so I have no idea what they are. First year in my first house and I have found that I really like gardening

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 3:44 AM

As per normal I was in Burnside today and I noticed something that shocked me. While it is not strictly related to this thread projects like this have a major impact on the trees in urban HRM.

As mentioned earlier in the thread above-ground power lines pose a major problem for expanding the tree coverage in urban areas. There have plans to bury the lines for years but few have actually been completed. In Bunside of all places the funding was found to bury power lines on what is arguably the most suburban road in HRM;

Akerley Boulevard near Burnside Drive

New roads in Burnside also have no visible power lines ...

Garland Avenue

Does anyone else find it disturbing that no investment is being made in the urban core and surrounding older communities? Even new residential areas like West Bedford have above ground power lines but for some reason HRM is willing to spend its own money on burying power lines in business parks.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Disturbed, yes. Confused, definitely.

Our urban core truly needs this.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 3:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not surprising. Hopefully people who see this will be a bit more sceptical the next time they hear the standard "oh no, we couldn't possibly afford such an extravagance" line. Companies and governments will pretty much always say that about something they don't want to do, whether or not it is actually feasible.

Note that rail transit in Halifax is exactly the same.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues