HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: St Patrick's Island bridge comp: Which one do you like?
Rosales + Partners 15 8.11%
Halcrow Yolles (The Reach) 57 30.81%
Halcrow Yolles (Eddie & Flow) 16 8.65%
Manu Chugh 26 14.05%
Busby Perkins + Will 37 20.00%
Buckland Taylor 5 2.70%
Saucier + Perotte 7 3.78%
Delcan 17 9.19%
Marc Boutin 21 11.35%
Sturgess Architecture 47 25.41%
Infinity Engineering 69 37.30%
Arup & Kasian 36 19.46%
Arup & Falko Schmitt 1 0.54%
Arup & Frederick 2 1.08%
SPF with Arup (O-Bar) 9 4.86%
SPF with Arup (Glide) 53 28.65%
Rogers Stirk Harbour 4 2.16%
DeJong 8 4.32%
IBI 0 0%
CH2MHILL (option 1) 2 1.08%
Team IBHL 1 0.54%
RFR / Halsall 9 4.86%
Endres Ware & Amman Whitney 10 5.41%
Other (specify with post) 6 3.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinCalgary View Post
any idea when construction is starting
The open house tomorrow night may be a good opportunity to find out. Will be dropping in myself, and will ask if I get the chance.

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/openhouse

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:21 PM
Fake News

No idea, but I got an e-mail from CMLC last week inviting me to an open house / workshop for St. Patrick's Island's design. Maybe they'll have updates then?

The bridge to me is a bit of a meh, though it'll still be welcome infrastructure for that area. It's kinda like finding an extra 20$ under your couch cushion after winning the lottery with the Peace Bridge. Though I'm sure Tropics and all the other PB haters will sing its' praises once construction starts. Funny thing is it costs the same and is much less boundary pushing. But hey a committee picked it so that means it's the best possible compromise right?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:33 PM

I don't mind this bridge, though it is boring compared to the Peace Bridge. Some creative lighting will help it stand out at night.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
Fake News

I still maintain the only reason this was chosen was because of the lame analogy they gave of a stone skipping across water. People just love metaphors!!!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:39 AM
Original Member since '99

same feeling here. Looking at some of the other designs in the competition this one kinda lets you down, especially with the bar that the PB set. if this was five years ago we would be elated and jumping off the bow over this project. Nevertheless still a worthy project

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:42 AM

One of my favorite designs here was the Manu Chugh bridge, which is quite similar to the selected bridge, only more striking and with better island access and character.

This bridge is very reserved and is not going to stand out as much as I might have liked. It would have been in the lower half of my choices, and with only 8 people voting on it we got a bridge few it seems would have chosen.

But at least they did not pick the Saucier and Perotte rodent tunnel.

Last edited by Tropics; Mar 29, 2012 at 8:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinCalgary View Post
any idea when construction is starting
The bridge will start this year. Just received news from the City that they will be closing the paths in the area to accommodate construction.

Just as fun - Riverwalk Stage 1, Phase III will continue in the spring as well. Should continue from the existing edge of construction, wrap around Fort Calgary, and end at 9th Ave SE.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:49 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcccondor View Post
The bridge will start this year. Just received news from the City that they will be closing the paths in the area to accommodate construction.

Just as fun - Riverwalk Stage 1, Phase III will continue in the spring as well. Should continue from the existing edge of construction, wrap around Fort Calgary, and end at 9th Ave SE.
Good news. I'm mostly looking forward to Stage 2 of Riverwalk along the Elbow River past the Stampede toward Lindsay Park. That has to be the worst stretch of the regional pathway in the entire city. Abysmal.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 10:23 PM
Here and There

Great news about the riverwalk phase III. Cant wait. When complete, it will be like our very own inner city pedestrian/cyclist ring road.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post

Great news about the riverwalk phase III. Cant wait. When complete, it will be like our very own inner city pedestrian/cyclist ring road.
Safe, engaging, and beautiful walk from Inglewood to Kensington. World class in my books.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
That is awesome. I love the landscaping, lighting, and design of the Riverwalk area that I have seen so far (near the Harry Hays building). That whole path is going to look amazing and get tons of use if they keep it up like that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Safe, engaging, and beautiful walk from Inglewood to Kensington. World class in my books.
Speaking of which... I know that a new pedestrian bridge connecting the river walk to Inglewood is part of CMLC long term plans. Does anybody know if this bridge is included as part of Phase III of the riverwalk and if we can expect something of note built or just a simple pedestrian crossing??

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Good news. I'm mostly looking forward to Stage 2 of Riverwalk along the Elbow River past the Stampede toward Lindsay Park. That has to be the worst stretch of the regional pathway in the entire city. Abysmal.
Agreed it needs improvement but that area will continue to be a dead zone as long as the Grandstand and barns front the river.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:05 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Agreed it needs improvement but that area will continue to be a dead zone as long as the Grandstand and barns front the river.
Dead or not, it would be nice if the pathways were passable. Maybe not a spot you'll linger in the short term, but being able to move through it safely and comfortably would be nice.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:07 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Speaking of which... I know that a new pedestrian bridge connecting the river walk to Inglewood is part of CMLC long term plans. Does anybody know if this bridge is included as part of Phase III of the riverwalk and if we can expect something of note built or just a simple pedestrian crossing??
I hear it's simple but elegant. And should be happening soon. Going to Calgary Planning Commission next month I believe.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:35 AM
Round Head

Went to the St. Patrick's Island Open House.

The design is much further along than I thought it would be. The landscape architecture firm they've procured has a preliminary design in place - and are soliciting feedback for the second iteration.

The big idea is to reintroduce the flow of the river through the Island in two spots as it once was. One of them will be mostly a wetland, the other will be a river-rock bed with the water flow fluctuating depending on the time of year. It will be flooded for skating in the winter, and they're considering a beach on one side.

The earth from the excavation of those channels will form a hill feature in the middle of the Island for sunning in the summer and sledding in the winter.

The east end of the Island (near the parking lot which will be reconfigured) will be the most intense with use. Potentially a restaurant use, small amphitheatre, splash pools and so forth.

A fairly large swath of the Island will be natural - with sections cordoned off for 15-20 years to help regenerate the natural vegetation (with pathways through them).

New York based W Architecture and Landscape Architecture is one of the designers. http://www.w-architecture.com/

Denver based Civitas is the other design partner http://www.civitasinc.com/

Construction drawings to be complete this fall. Construction to commence next spring and will last 2 years.

Last edited by Wooster; Mar 29, 2012 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Went to the St. Patrick's Island Open House.

The design is much further along than I thought it would be. The landscape architecture firm they've procured has a preliminary design in place - and are soliciting feedback for the second iteration.

The big idea is to reintroduce the flow of the river through the Island in two spots as it once was. One of them will be mostly a wetland, the other will be a river-rock bed with the water flow fluctuating depending on the time of year. It will be flooded for skating in the winter, and they're considering a beach on one side.

The earth from the excavation of those channels will form a hill feature in the middle of the Island for sunning in the summer and sledding in the winter.

The east end of the Island (near the parking lot which will be reconfigured) will be the most intense with use. Potentially a restaurant use, small amphitheatre, splash pools and so forth.

A fairly large swath of the Island will be natural - with sections cordoned off for 15-20 years to help regenerate the natural vegetation (with pathways through them).

New York based W Architecture and Landscape Architecture is the designer.

http://www.w-architecture.com/

Civitas (or something like that) was the other consultant.

Construction drawings to be complete this fall. Construction to commence next spring and will last 2 years.
I made it to the presentation as well.

I've yet too see a master plan that didn't get a little ambitious with the design. I trust we will see some of the major elements such as re-introducing the river through the island, but I imagine that'll take a lot more money then they are accounting for and they will have to scale back some of the other features. Maybe they have a massive budget though...

They seemed to have a lot of secondary pathways winding and dead ending in the thick vegetation. That can't be good for safety.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:42 AM

Stopped by the open house for a bit, as I was involved in the feedback process and wanted to see the end result.

$20 million is the budget for the island redevelopment (excluding the bridge). Not an enormous amount, but I expect it'll go a long way considering the general theme seems to be to keep things as natural as possible. Most of the real development (amphitheatre, canoe launch) is concentrated near the parking area off Zoo Road, leaving the bulk of the island fairly wild. Very much like the idea of reintroducing the natural flood channel.

The bridge is growing on me. I never really minded it (though other designs were more interesting), but it looks like it'll be a nice place for a casual stroll, or to just sit on one of the benches and admire the scenery - a good piece of recreational infrastructure, as opposed to the commuter orientation of the Peace Bridge. Still not sold on the access ramp to the island though - it interfaces awkwardly with the bridge deck, and doesn't seem suitable for accommodating mixed pedestrian and cycle traffic.

So I was quite pleased overall, though I think a mockup model of the island (as opposed to just the bridge) would have been nice to get a bit more visual context. Maybe at the next event! Also got to meet Wooster, which was a nice bonus for attending.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:20 AM

Quote:
and they're considering a beach on one side.
Ehh, it could not be actual waterfront, that would be exceedingly dangerous for swimming, add alot of liability to the city once a kid gets caught up in a current and goes over the weir. Not to mention any sand on the shore of a river like the Bow will be gone in about 10 minutes from the time they put it down. Unless you do it inland where the "wetland" is, which would be stagnent water, likely attract lots of ducks, and anyone swimming in it is likely to get "the itch". I would skip a beach, it is not the right place for it at all.

As far as landscaping goes, I loved the landscaping design on this propsal, the SPF with Arup O-Bar

The instant I saw that picture I wanted to be sitting on one of those tiers on a warm summer night looking at the river. Something similar to that landscaping would be awesome, although the landscaping in that design really complemented the bridge and I am not sure it would suit the chosen design quite as well.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 9:38 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
Ehh, it could not be actual waterfront, that would be exceedingly dangerous for swimming, add alot of liability to the city once a kid gets caught up in a current and goes over the weir.
The Bow has some strong currents, but I don't know if they're strong enough to pull someone back in time to when there was still a weir.

Couldn't make it to the open house (hope the materials are made available online), but what people are saying sure sounds promising. And I'm looking forward to the Ft Calgary to Inglewood bridge; let's get Oscar Neimeyer on the phone!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates