HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 5:03 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

LaCaille on 4th | 183 M | 50 F | PROPOSED

A new mixed used proposal for Calgary's downtown core. LaCaille on 4th is slated to be around 50 stories with a mix of retail, residential, hotel, and office. They have a DP already so we could see this go ahead relatively quick. What do you all think of it?

Last edited by Bigtime; Aug 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 5:17 PM
Go Pens!

I like it a lot!! Especially the recessed levels/tapering...

Looks like a mix of that dead 1000-footer from Philadelphia, the 4 Seasons going up in Denver (not color-wise), and a little bit of the Mansion on Peachtree in ATL.

what would the estimate height in feet be for this?

It looks huge!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 5:27 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKofMANHATTAN View Post
I like it a lot!! Especially the recessed levels/tapering...

Looks like a mix of that dead 1000-footer from Philadelphia, the 4 Seasons going up in Denver (not color-wise), and a little bit of the Mansion on Peachtree in ATL.

what would the estimate height in feet be for this?

It looks huge!
~ 180m/600' or so. That's just a guesstimate, based on previous images.

Depending on the accuracy of the renderings, it could be well over 200m. However, renderings can be quite misleading.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:29 PM
Hypnotized

Now THAT's a building. Better than The Bow, Centennial, City Center, Penny Lane, Jamieson, and all the other massive projects underway in Calgary. I love them all but this just might be my favorite.

Let's hope she gets built! Go Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:45 PM
What we play is life.

Oh god, that is terrible. WTF are they thinking when designing this shit. I guess they are pandering to the masses which makes sense in many respects. Unfortunately this thing doesn't appear at all representational of our time, and the current state of our technology. Seems to be a derivation of too many sources without an overriding philosophy. Contrived is the word I am looking for.

God damn, I should have not scrolled up again to reevaluate the pic. I nearly hurled. What a disaster... but I'm glad some folks like it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:54 PM
Hypnotized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
Oh god, that is terrible. WTF are they thinking when designing this shit. I guess they are pandering to the masses which makes sense in many respects. Unfortunately this thing doesn't appear at all representational of our time, and the current state of our technology. Seems to be a derivation of too many sources without an overriding philosophy. Contrived is the word I am looking for.

God damn, I should have not scrolled up again to reevaluate the pic. I nearly hurled. What a disaster... but I'm glad some folks like it.
Well I didn't expect that response from you... An overwhelming majority of both local Calgary posters and outsiders seem to admire the project. Either way I'm sure it will grow on you.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:57 PM
Build'em high!

Looks great to me.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:58 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinner6 View Post
Well I didn't expect that response from you... An overwhelming majority of both local Calgary posters and outsiders seem to admire the project. Either way I'm sure it will grow on you.
Oh, I assure you, it certainly will not...

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:59 PM
Hypnotized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
Oh, I assure you, it certainly will not...
Can't win 'em all.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:59 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^I just spent 10 minutes defending Arriviste because he's one of the only if the only) forumer who always judges a project on its own merits (in his opinion of course) and NOT because of what city it's being built in. Although, I myself find this project does more good than harm for sure, having gotten to know Arriviste's tastes I am not in the least surprised and in fact glad to see he's still got his integrity intact.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:00 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Doubt it will. I hate post modern crap like this. I really disagree with the mantra that dictated its design. Why re-hash antiquated design ideals when we can do so much better? I just can't get over the fact that this structure required little imagination to obtain the desired effect. The Bow set a precedent that I feel should be followed. This thing is taking the path of least resistance, and for that I have no respect.

PS, thanks Jeff! I can assure you I won't lose my stubbornness. I don't cave easily, for better or worse.
-BR

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:25 PM

^I respect the fact that you express your opinions, and everyone has right to them. It would be nice to see some examples of what type of architecture you do like, and not some example of an ultra modern 2 storey building. An example of a 50 storey structure. All I ever hear from you is the 'everything's so terrible' mantra.

Please feel free to show some examples of what we should be looking at. I don't mean this in a condescending manner, I'm serious.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:38 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
^I respect the fact that you express your opinions, and everyone has right to them. It would be nice to see some examples of what type of architecture you do like, and not some example of an ultra modern 2 storey building. An example of a 50 storey structure. All I ever hear from you is the 'everything's so terrible' mantra.

Please feel free to show some examples of what we should be looking at. I don't mean this in a condescending manner, I'm serious.

For sure! I can name a few. First of The Bow, and the Gherkin. I adore Piano's NY times tower. I really like Aqua in Chicago also. Of course there are a half dozen Miesian scrapers that are perfection, but they are a half century old. Tuning torso is intriguing (for being the first of a style, and being true to its location and purpose). Etc etc etc. Al Burj hotel, although awkward, is interesting to me for its use of a fabric wall. I despise it's little spire.
There are MANY! and many more architects as well. I could go on and on and on. But really the Bow is the best example.
I'll post some pics of some real gems later on. I have a compilation of such structures at my apartment that I can scan later. I collected a ton of pics for a project last semester and they could help you understand where I am coming from.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 8:26 PM

I absolutley love this building!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 1:59 AM

Sexy,and Calgary needs some sexy.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 2:13 AM

Wow! That is fantastic!!!!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Now THAT's a building. Better than The Bow
I don't mean to derail this too much, but you must realize the Bow can potentially be one of the overall best skyscrapers in the world.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 2:30 AM
Hypnotized

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Chicago View Post
I don't mean to derail this too much, but you must realize the Bow can potentially be one of the overall best skyscrapers in the world.
No, no. I understand. It's just my opinion. Objectively speaking The Bow is better but I think the drooling over this building has inflated my opinion of it. The Bow is still one killer tower.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 2:40 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I like that rendering a lot.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 4:09 AM

Interesting Design - seems to borrow from the tapered-tip skyscrapers from New York, and post-modern glass condos of Vancouver. When mixed together as a conglomerate composition, the execution looks strange. First the Calgary Bowl - now this.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates