HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: St Patrick's Island bridge comp: Which one do you like?
Rosales + Partners 15 8.11%
Halcrow Yolles (The Reach) 57 30.81%
Halcrow Yolles (Eddie & Flow) 16 8.65%
Manu Chugh 26 14.05%
Busby Perkins + Will 37 20.00%
Buckland Taylor 5 2.70%
Saucier + Perotte 7 3.78%
Delcan 17 9.19%
Marc Boutin 21 11.35%
Sturgess Architecture 47 25.41%
Infinity Engineering 69 37.30%
Arup & Kasian 36 19.46%
Arup & Falko Schmitt 1 0.54%
Arup & Frederick 2 1.08%
SPF with Arup (O-Bar) 9 4.86%
SPF with Arup (Glide) 53 28.65%
Rogers Stirk Harbour 4 2.16%
DeJong 8 4.32%
IBI 0 0%
CH2MHILL (option 1) 2 1.08%
Team IBHL 1 0.54%
RFR / Halsall 9 4.86%
Endres Ware & Amman Whitney 10 5.41%
Other (specify with post) 6 3.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:22 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Welcome to the forum.

EDIT- Damn, why am I always at the top of the page. My "previous" graphic makes no sense now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:05 PM

Well the winning bridge wasn't exactly my favourite one, but I think I can see where the CMLC was coming from for their decision. I think they really want to focus on creating a more 'soft urban' edge for the East Village... one where the river feels more natural and contrasts with the feel of Eau Claire and Prince's Island. If you look at their plans for the river walk, there's a big focus with interaction with the river but in a low-key kind of way... an understated bridge, like the winning entry, keeps true to that ideal.

Now that the winner has been picked, I've only got two questions:
When does construction start?
Does anyone have any detailed renderings (or even descriptions at this point) on what their plans are for the millions in renovations that their going to do to the island itself?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Now that the winner has been picked, I've only got two questions:
When does construction start?
Does anyone have any detailed renderings (or even descriptions at this point) on what their plans are for the millions in renovations that their going to do to the island itself?
From what they had said it will be spring 2011 for start of construction since theres no way to get the permits and everything tendered and sorted out in time to meet the in-river work period this year.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:46 PM

This project, whether we think this particular bridge was the best one or not, is an awesome way to just start the revival of that island.

If the plans to move Shakespeare in the park to some sort of semi-sheltered semi-permanent amphitheater on the island ever come to pass, it would be an awesome boon. As it stands now, on good clear warm nights in July, Shakespeare in the park is jam packed. It's those inclement nights that SITP wants to make more manageable so they don't have to cancel so many shows.

I've been to SITP, and I've been to the new Globe in London, and outdoor theater is awesome!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 4:31 PM

There's a new thread in the Transportation section on pedestrian bridges. Check it out:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=181066

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 5:11 PM

Well, I thoroughly approve of the winning design. Not my favourite, but a lot of the others seemed really tacky to me (like the Calatrava bridge... though my only gripe there is the colour scheme). This one looks pretty elegant, and like it will age quite gracefully.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:37 AM
Criminal Mastermind

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/Patri...673/story.html

CALGARY – It’s on schedule, likely under budget and seemingly without controversy.

Unlike the contentious Peace Bridge, the other downtown pedestrian link to Saint Patrick’s Island is moving along nicely.

The bridge will link the north bank of the Bow River to the island and the East Village.

The Paris designer of the project is currently here in Calgary to oversee his first North American project.

Jean-Francois Blassel says the beauty of the Bow River is his inspiration for the bridge.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:51 AM
someone

i absolutely love the zero attention the patricks island bridge is getting. People walk up and down the street with rage at the peace bridge and the easiest argument to make is simply asking them how the feel about the "second bridge." Not hearing about this in the media hasn't given them a force fed opinion and they don't know what to think about it! Cost is roughly the same, designed by people overseas, still doesn't serve cars and yep is still only going to serve a small percentage of calgarians at the end of the day. But this bridge, this bridge wasn't written about in the sun every day for a month. good game calgary.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 6:33 AM
Bring buildings to life

That, in my opinion, is a thousand times better looking than Calatrava's (regardless of the level of controversy).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 8:51 AM

The only downside to that article is the fact that it states construction will start next spring.... I was really hoping we'd see shovels in the ground this year for the bridge.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 9:27 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
i absolutely love the zero attention the patricks island bridge is getting. People walk up and down the street with rage at the peace bridge and the easiest argument to make is simply asking them how the feel about the "second bridge." Not hearing about this in the media hasn't given them a force fed opinion and they don't know what to think about it! Cost is roughly the same, designed by people overseas, still doesn't serve cars and yep is still only going to serve a small percentage of calgarians at the end of the day. But this bridge, this bridge wasn't written about in the sun every day for a month. good game calgary.
Yeah, Global had a story on this the other day and I meant to come here and post almost word-for-word what you just said.

Same cost. Foreign designer. No one will use it. These were THE arguments against the Peace bridge. Yet Global's story on this bridge was very positive, saying it's attracting none of the controversy. I actually stared speechless at the TV for a minute, with my jaw halfway to the floor. My comment to the S.O. was "does anyone ever actually THINK about what they say anymore???".

I don't remember who, but several SSP'ers even ranted against the Peace bridge. Where are they in this thread?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 10:04 PM

I think the biggest beef people had with the Peace Bridge was the sole source contract. The fact that this bridge was designed by an open competition makes it a lot less of a lightning rod.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 10:05 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, Global had a story on this the other day and I meant to come here and post almost word-for-word what you just said.

Same cost. Foreign designer. No one will use it. These were THE arguments against the Peace bridge. Yet Global's story on this bridge was very positive, saying it's attracting none of the controversy. I actually stared speechless at the TV for a minute, with my jaw halfway to the floor. My comment to the S.O. was "does anyone ever actually THINK about what they say anymore???".

I don't remember who, but several SSP'ers even ranted against the Peace bridge. Where are they in this thread?
I partially ranted against the peace bridge. Not from a usefullness or design perspective, but from a process perspective. I would much rather they had a RFP and design contest than selecting Calatrava sole-sourced. I know we sole-source a lot of things, as the costs of doing the RFP can be high if the project isn't significant. But for that piece of infrastructure, they should have had a competition. Plus, the City did a terrible job of PR with regards to the need for the bridge. No one knew why the City needed it and because the City wasn't proactive, they basically allowed people like Rick Bell to claim that there was never a need for it. Just bad process all around.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

As I'm one who is against the Peace bridge, the reason why I don't care about this bridge is because it passes the smell test. The Peace bridge didn't.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think the biggest beef people had with the Peace Bridge was the sole source contract. The fact that this bridge was designed by an open competition makes it a lot less of a lightning rod.
The beef is legitimate, but the magnitude of the scorn is not. That part is a direct result of the media rather arbitrarily jumping on this singular issue and running with it. The sole-sourcing, budgetary, and procurement problems extend well beyond the bridge to hundreds of City projects. So why the grossly disproportionate attention and scorn?

What about the $26M Calgary Fire Department Maintenance Facility? Is there a single Rick Bell column about the $29M Beddington/Country Hills Blvd. Interchange? Where's the water-cooler conversations on the $218M Glenmore Water Treatment Plant upgrade?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 10:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Fair enough, but none of your responses made it into the public consciousness. At least not in terms of mainstream media. It was pretty much a continual drumbeat of "Spanish designer", "$25 million designer bridge", and "I'll never use it".

I don't think I'd even be aware of the sole-sourcing issue if not for SSP.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 12:57 AM

Does anyone know what % of city infrastructure projects are sole sourced? I bet it's quite high.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:23 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Architectural or engineering sourcing? My guess is close to 100% are sole sourced. I would say that is the way it should be. Most projects don't require the extra hassle of acquiring bids. Just pick a consultant that you are familiar with and that you know can do the project.

Remember, the Sole sourcing for the Peace bridge is only $3 million, not $25 million like I've seen many newspaper comments claiming.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 5:31 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Does anyone know what % of city infrastructure projects are sole sourced? I bet it's quite high.
Considering in many cities this sort of thing would be IN-sourced (at least historically), I'm actually amazed at the comments about sole-sourcing. At least it's not unionized City workers!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:58 PM
Original Member since '99

any idea when construction is starting

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates