HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 2:44 PM

The new East Lakeview Mariano's at 3030 N Broadway officially opened today. While I'm sure the inside is perfectly acceptable, I'm anxious to see the building from the street. I'll be in Chicago exactly one month from today so I look forward to seeing it in person. From the few construction photos I've seen, I'm not expecting to be overly impressed... but maybe in the end it's not too horrible?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
The new East Lakeview Mariano's at 3030 N Broadway officially opened today. While I'm sure the inside is perfectly acceptable, I'm anxious to see the building from the street. I'll be in Chicago exactly one month from today so I look forward to seeing it in person. From the few construction photos I've seen, I'm not expecting to be overly impressed... but maybe in the end it's not too horrible?
i wouldnt waste your limited time in chicago gazing at a crapbox of a grocery store. i can assure you its garbage.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i wouldnt waste your limited time in chicago gazing at a crapbox of a grocery store. i can assure you its garbage.
I'll be in Lakeview anyway, so it's not out of my way to walk by and gauge how bad the building is along Broadway.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I'll be in Lakeview anyway, so it's not out of my way to walk by and gauge how bad the building is along Broadway.
Not sure I understand why you would want to check this out? It's literally an afterthought project other than it brings back a grocery store into the area. There's much better things in town to check out that are new.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Nifty project for sure. What's its story? Is it going forward as of right?
The Chi Arch Blog post about 863 N. Orleans said that they were seeking a zoning change from C1-2 to C1-5. However, they will have to seek a DX-3 zoning instead because of the recent downtown zoning ordinance.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 5:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The Chi Arch Blog post about 863 N. Orleans said that they were seeking a zoning change from C1-2 to C1-5. However, they will have to seek a DX-3 zoning instead because of the recent downtown zoning ordinance.
Hmm, interesting.

So now everybody seeking a zoning change, even in the downtown expansion areas, has to apply for downtown zoning and pay into the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not sure I understand why you would want to check this out? It's literally an afterthought project other than it brings back a grocery store into the area. There's much better things in town to check out that are new.
Because walking by when I'm already in the neighborhood is going to require hours of my time? I walked by that vacant lot many many times when I lived in East Lakeview. The point is to simply see how it works (or likely doesn't work) in the context of its setting. Since I'll already be in the neighborhood, I doubt the energy it takes to turn my head and observe the building for a few seconds as I pass by on Broadway is going to prevent me from checking out other developments elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 6:02 PM
The City

^ Wrong. Head turning is a very tiring and time consuming activity. Keep your head facing forward to save your calories for more interesting pursuits

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hmm, interesting.

So now everybody seeking a zoning change, even in the downtown expansion areas, has to apply for downtown zoning and pay into the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund.
Yeah, it seems silly having to apply for downtown zoning for each individual development, rather than apply that level of zoning to the whole expanded area. I guess these areas weren't automatically upzoned because there would be a lot of push back from the NIMBYs about the plan, since they would no longer have a say in developments that have become right of way. I do not believe they have to pay into the Opportunity Fund unless they want an upzone that is greater than what was recommended.

Also, it appears they would have to apply instead for a DX-5 zoning, not a DX-3 zoning like I mentioned earlier, since Cabrini Green was recommended to have that level of zoning: http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...2016_06_01.pdf

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it seems silly having to apply for downtown zoning for each individual development, rather than apply that level of zoning to the whole expanded area. I guess these areas weren't automatically upzoned because there would be a lot of push back from the NIMBYs about the plan, since they would no longer have a say in developments that have become right of way. I do not believe they have to pay into the Opportunity Fund unless they want an upzone that is greater than what was recommended.
You answered your own question. It will be impossible for NIMBYs to effectively oppose a significant number of seperate developments seeking bumps...which apparently can even be granted mid-construction. Payments into the NOF are icing on the cake for aldermen who's main base of power doesn't necessarily include all the people opposed to said developments thanks to an amazing ward map.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:25 AM

Quote:

Also, it appears they would have to apply instead for a DX-5 zoning, not a DX-3 zoning like I mentioned earlier, since Cabrini Green was recommended to have that level of zoning: http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...2016_06_01.pdf
I'm not sure why they didn't globally change everything to a D zone with matching bulk and density of the underlying zoning. They limited the new downtown to areas with a -3 or above which would have translated directly and allowed the new buy-a-bonus system in the entire area.

My reading of the ordinance shows a different path.

An as of right project would continue being a B-C-M without any change and have no access to the new bonus.

Any project that applies for a zoning change has the application automatically changed to a D and has access to the bonus that applies to the new bulk and density .
But the act of applying for the change triggers the ARO requirement and you can't get at the bonus until you apply for the change.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 5:16 PM

A friend told me they moved the Jordan statue back to it's original place inside the new United Center atrium. Any word when the atrium and stores will be open to the public? Also any updates on construction of the new Hawks practice facility?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 6:36 PM

Planning Commission legal notice is up. The Nobu Hotel rezoning (from 7 to 11 floors), this thing: http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/7/6/1...-condo-project , a 4-story retail + office replacement for 46 E Oak, and the godawful renovation of Graeme Stewart School are on the agenda.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:09 PM

I just wanted to share this video i came across. I have never attended any these public meetings, and honestly thought when others described how delusional those NIMBYs acted, they were exaggerated, but after seeing this wow lmao.

https://youtu.be/8MmUQ5A9X1M

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:55 PM

Angry

One story building, near Morgan CTA stop in a quickly densifying neighborhood, coming down to make way for....

...another one story building?!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:08 AM
Chicago

Room 6 - Chicago Riverwalk Expansion between Franklin and Lake

August 31, 2016

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:09 AM
Chicago

The Jetty - Chicago Riverwalk Expansion between Wells and Franklin

August 31, 2016

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:10 AM
Chicago

The Water Plaza - Chicago Riverwalk Expansion between LaSalle and Wells

August 31, 2016

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:46 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go go white sox View Post
I just wanted to share this video i came across. I have never attended any these public meetings, and honestly thought when others described how delusional those NIMBYs acted, they were exaggerated, but after seeing this wow lmao.

https://youtu.be/8MmUQ5A9X1M
And that's not even a particularly bad example.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:59 PM
Urbane observer

Yeah, I'm puzzled by what you find delusional. The only person we hear asking a question simply expresses concern about the parking garage curb cut being directly opposite the busy entrance to Trader Joe's. When the reporter asks some other folks leaving the meeting what they thought of the project, they just say "well, I hope it's not more development than the infrastructure can handle." They didn't raise their hands to say that.

Now delusional was what I heard at last week's meeting about the apocalyptic horrors that will result from painting a bike-street "sharrow" on Ninth St. in Dearborn Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development