HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Fantastic my eye.
That's hellastupid.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 11:08 PM

Some other changes I could see being useful are in the downtown and central areas.

The 85 and 101 share a common routing for a long section. My proposal would do the following to adjust that:

* Route 85 is eliminated.
* Route 101 is realigned onto the 85 routing, running the length of Carling to Bayshore (the 85 no longer runs the length of Carling; Preston would have the revived 3 to ensure a north-south route in the area). Some peak period 101 trips would continue westward to Kanata via the Transitway and Holly Acres, replacing Route 182. It would run the same hours the 85 does now and the same or a higher frequency. East of Bronson, the 101 would stay on the same routing it is now (but much more frequent and with much longer hours.)
* Route 102 is unchanged.
* NEW Route 103 would run the highway section, in fact, it would be faster than the 101 as it would stay on the Queensway as opposed to Carling with only a stop at Parkdale and at Carling/Kirkwood. It would operate every 10-15 minutes during peak periods, every 30 minutes at midday and several evening trips but no weekend service.

PROS:
* The entire length of Carling would have a peak period route, and longer section would have a frequent all-day route
* Carling is reconnected to Hurdman and St. Laurent at all times of day
* A reliable east-west connection would be created near of the Queensway corridor
* A quicker link would be created (depending on traffic) across the city without going into downtown Transitway congestion
* East-west Sunday and additional evening service would be created on Catherine and Chamberlain
* Preston Street would be reconnected on a north-south route without creating duplication elsewhere
* New service would exist at Parkdale/Queensway
* A transfer would not be necessary on some peak period trips between Carling east of Bayshore and Carling west of Bayshore

CONS:
* A transfer would be necessary between Carling and downtown (where other routes do not intersect), but many opportunities exist and that section is the least-used part of the route
* Saturday service would be removed and off-peak service reduced on weekdays from 3 stops, but those have little ridership
* A transfer would be required for those going from stops between Pinecrest and Maitland to Carling Avenue, but that is not a common movement
* Either a transfer and/or increased travel time would be required between Bayshore and Carling Avenue on the current 101 route

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:37 AM

Stephen Blais is a weird guy - eager to ban things he doesn't like, and quick to defend the performance of things he likes the idea of, like transit.

Not a lot of good press today/yesterday about the changes, especially the 14 in my area, which seems to show up at every other scheduled appearance. Just today it showed up 15 minutes late for my friend.

This is just a small example of what's happening city-wide, but clearly OC Transpo can't go on like this, nor can it raise its fares again, which have gone up 25% in 4 years. Now we have less service than 4 years ago.

If the province suddenly decided to stop targeting certain populations of voters and do something for everyone, it would give Ottawa back the 8% of every dollar of gas it has collected since July, 2010 from drivers and fleets. That alone would probably pay for a new transit system, or at least fund the entire first phase of the LRT.

Really, what are we getting from paying sales tax on top of the provincial gasoline tax? They want to discourage cars and pollution, okay - but give us an alternative. Use the taxes to give us a way to leave the car at home! But no, now we have increased fares, reduced service, and really expensive gas.

But be green! God...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 9:35 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
On the other side of town, Cumberland Coun. Stephen Blais said the changes are going “exceptionally well” for his east-end ward. Blais is not seeing the volume of complaints his colleagues describe in other areas of Ottawa.
Well duh! Your ward is almost entirely rural except for the Avalon neighborhood which has like four express routes, and five other local routes (two rush hour ones, one mostly rush hour) as well as route 94 that runs until 12-1 AM. Plus all your routes to downtown are near the eastern terminus, go all your constituents are getting the seating capacity in the morning, while those in Monette's and Bloess' wards are the ones who have to deal with the overcrowding. And many of his express routes have a lot of trips as well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Well duh! Your ward is almost entirely rural except for the Avalon neighborhood which has like four express routes, and five other local routes (two rush hour ones, one mostly rush hour) as well as route 94 that runs until 12-1 AM. Plus all your routes to downtown are near the eastern terminus, go all your constituents are getting the seating capacity in the morning, while those in Monette's and Bloess' wards are the ones who have to deal with the overcrowding. And many of his express routes have a lot of trips as well.
Most residents of his ward also do not pay much in transit taxes either, so it has little impact on them.

(IMO, a transit sales tax should be brought in - if approved by the voters - and the rural transit taxes would be eliminated and urban transit property taxes reduced substantially with the sales tax money.)

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 11:45 PM

According to an Ottawa Sun report, the 106 will reconnect the hospital loop all day beginning December 28 (at least on weekdays). IMO, weekend service is probably not necessary on the loop since ridership then was really low, but midday service is a must and evening service would be good on there as well. A few other trips are being added on the fly to trips that have been perpetually overcrowded as well.

My 2012 plan tries to correct key issues, set the stage for the LRT (some of the changes are really notable, like realigning/renumbering the 85 and splitting the 86 and 87 with completely different numbers) and create key "corridors" by running higher frequency routes on major transit corridors to develop ridership to a better degree. The goal would be to make it all revenue neutral though, so there will be drawbacks for some, but I would try to make the positives outweigh the negatives without increasing the budget.

VERY preliminary, but I propose a lot of individual route changes.

NEW routes in my current idea for 2012: 3, 11, 17, 32, 33, 58, 59, 63, 91, 92, 103, 104, 110, 113, 115, 133, 138, 142, 153, 154, 155, 157, 158, 160, 162, 166, 230, 282

ELIMINATED routes in my current idea for 2012: 27, 37, 41, 85, 86, 87, 127, 143, 156, 159, 164, 169, 174, 178, 182, 185, 192, 194, 261, 262, 263

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 3:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I thought of you guys today when I saw that they were reinstalling the railway tracks along the sections of the Rapibus route along Maloney...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 11:25 PM

New rural service once a week from various communities in the rural area to shopping areas in Ottawa, similar to the well-used 186 on Fridays to Carlingwood from Manotick and nearby areas. The use of the 2xx numbers is a better assignment IMO to make clear that they are rural services, with 201 to 205 being good assignments as the 200s and 210s would not correspond to any specific areas in the city for commuter/local trips - 1 to 19 are inner-city locals and 100 to 119 are non-downtown crosstown routes. (I would renumber the 186 peak period route in Manotick to 275 and make it a rural express route to downtown by extending eight 95 trips).

One change I would make: if that day it would normally run on is a holiday (most often a Monday), it should run on the Saturday closest to the holiday.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 8:29 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I thought of you guys today when I saw that they were reinstalling the railway tracks along the sections of the Rapibus route along Maloney...
I was passing there last weekend but didn't notice anything but how impressive the work is being done in the tunnel area at Greber.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 2:50 AM

Western LRT...2023 (ish)

Article in the Citizen from tonight:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Transit...437/story.html

Discusses the issues about the Western LRT line and says that planners prefer the Richmond-Byron route over the other options. In my opinion, anything that stays away from the parkway (because there is no chance for Transit oriented development there with the NCC as the owner) is a good option. What does everyone else think? Apparently there will be a detailed plan of the proposals by this December or January.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 2:55 AM

Byron makes sense in that it was viable for light rail a century ago, before they invented 'linear parks'.

Carling as well is good, in that population density and retail is high, and there is already a big median. The parkway is dumb for the reasons you listed.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 12:59 AM

So, is that underground tunnel thing at Baseline ever going to go into service?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 3:53 AM

Quote:
but that would leave Tunney’s Pasture, a major destination west of the O-Train line, on a stubby spur with poor access from anywhere to the west or south.
I have said all along that the Tunney's Pasture terminus for Phase 1 is going to prejudice the choice of the western extension. Doesn't this demonstrate that?

Quote:
All of them involve digging rail tunnels in crowded spots, particularly at the eastern and western ends of the route where the line would have to connect to the existing Transitway without a clear overland way to do it. Five of the six Richmond-Byron routes include at least one tunnel section that goes for many blocks, and the sixth involves three separate shorter ones.
The article explains that the Carling route is going to be so much more expensive because of the need of elevated track. What does the quote above indicate about the cost of Richmond Rd/Byron route? If significant tunneling will be required, the price tag will be much higher than first estimated.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Transit...#ixzz1augUGD75

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 1:08 PM

I like how the article makes it sound like the Citizen scored some kind of "scoop" with their access to info request. Darwin posted the contents of the presentation (PICTURES!) along with this own interpretations back in MAY. See:
http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/...rn-lrt-part-i/ and the subsequent 4 posts. (all of the links were posted in the Rapid Transit Developments forum at the time)

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
So, is that underground tunnel thing at Baseline ever going to go into service?
When funding is received for the final phase. Funding that I'm surprised did not appear during this past election.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
When funding is received for the final phase. Funding that I'm surprised did not appear during this past election.
I think they want us to forget.

So... we're gonna be stuck with that transit-rider-unfriendly abortion of a "temporary" Baseline for years?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
The city would probably have to apply for the funding before the province approved it...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I think they want us to forget.

So... we're gonna be stuck with that transit-rider-unfriendly abortion of a "temporary" Baseline for years?
No not for years.... decades!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:16 PM

I was under the impression that the underground tunnel at baseline is currently under construction, and that it is set to be completed by 2013 (see http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/const.../index_en.html). I understood that the plan was to bring the buses underground, and then start further construction of Centrepointe Town Centre on what is now the temporary station.

What is unclear is when light rail will come to Baseline. But as for the buses, I thought they will be underground by 2013.

Does anybody have more information on this?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
What is unclear is when light rail will come to Baseline. But as for the buses, I thought they will be underground by 2013.
Personally, I would target 2023 for the LRT reaching the west end. The reason for that date is because that is when the most recent articulated buses would be retired based on a 12-year lifespan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation