HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:27 PM

ParkPlus at the zoo works by registering your license plate, if you are going to have overnight guests parking on the street you can register their license plate, it doesnt take much effort.

I don't mind charging for permits but the only issue I have is that people who live in areas that are desirable to parkers are usually paying higher taxes than areas that do not have permits. It is just extra taxation.

I also really do not understand how people cannot find space on their own property to fit their vehicles. Either you have too many vehicles or you have too much shit, figure out which problem you have and correct it. (I live on a 25 foot wide lot)

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:36 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:40 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
ParkPlus at the zoo works by registering your license plate, if you are going to have overnight guests parking on the street you can register their license plate, it doesnt take much effort.
Could be quite the education process to get people to register via phone/web/smartphone.

Quote:
I don't mind charging for permits but the only issue I have is that people who live in areas that are desirable to parkers are usually paying higher taxes than areas that do not have permits. It is just extra taxation.
It is a very broad and heavy stick, maybe it's time to consider a city wide parking system.

Quote:
I also really do not understand how people cannot find space on their own property to fit their vehicles. Either you have too many vehicles or you have too much shit, figure out which problem you have and correct it. (I live on a 25 foot wide lot)
This is true, most 25' foot lots can fit a double garage, maybe it's time to consider restricting the number of vehicles that can be registered at an address to the number of stalls on the lot.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:42 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
You can't expect residents to register a plate # every time they have a visitor. If I have someone coming to fix my water heater, I'm going to give him the pass and that's it. He may be there for 1/2hr. Perhaps they should make the resident/visitor passes like toll road RFIDs and install detection in the Park Plus cars.
This is a good idea, could also use these tags as a way to ease the use of ParkPlus.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 8:15 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
You can't expect residents to register a plate # every time they have a visitor. If I have someone coming to fix my water heater, I'm going to give him the pass and that's it. He may be there for 1/2hr. Perhaps they should make the resident/visitor passes like toll road RFIDs and install detection in the Park Plus cars.
The closest I can think of is the visitor parking at my old apartment unit. We were supposed to register plates of any overnight guests. Yeah, I had a couple of friends get towed over the years as a result.

But people dropping by for 30 minutes? Ludicrous.

Why not just have a maximum time allowed for non permit parkers and be done with it? Surely a 2h limit would allow for most casual use, but dissuade people from using the street as a private parking lot? Adjust time depending on what makes sense, 2h is just a guess.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:04 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The closest I can think of is the visitor parking at my old apartment unit. We were supposed to register plates of any overnight guests. Yeah, I had a couple of friends get towed over the years as a result.

Why not just have a maximum time allowed for non permit parkers and be done with it? Surely a 2h limit would allow for most casual use, but dissuade people from using the street as a private parking lot? Adjust time depending on what makes sense, 2h is just a guess.
Interesting thought this, I live within a block of 2 event spaces (a church and a cultural centre) one side of the street is no parking except by permit and the other is 2hr except by permit. Many times the 2hr side is completely full with the only available spots are on the permit only side.

I think ticketing and towing vehicles that are not moved regularly (once every week or two) is a good thing, something that isn't done enough right now.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

Personally I think it is great to charge people for using the streets to park. We have too many freeloaders.

Any sound-minded environmentalist will tell you that cars waste a lot of land, and a great way to deal with that is charge people who don't have their own land to park on a fee for the public cost of them parking on the street. If you buy a car, you need to be able to budget for the land it will take up. Else, don't buy a car ... you can't afford it. This type of sound logic will also, over a longer period of time, encourage more public transit use, which would be a great outcome.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
I mentioned it as an overnight system, but maybe the RFID system would be better.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy