HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:06 PM
BANNED

One more thing I forgot previously but just remembered - remember to check the construction of the curtain wall! You may recall a major story that came out of Toronto that many condos were being built with curtain wall systems not suited to climates with drastic and regular temperature swings. The result of those ill-suited construction / design choices was major risks / costs in the medium term that would be on the shoulders of the condo owners.

Here is an example of the numerous articles on the subject:
http://www.torontostandard.com/the-s...e-condom-inium

We had a discussion about this on the Calgary SSP threads, but I can't remember where exactly (likely in the primary construction thread). At that time, people did a pinch of poking around and confirmed which Calgary condos used the sub-par method (that could result in problems within ten years). That list will be important for you to look at!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:50 PM

Yeah i asked around alot about the curtain walls in town and a few places seem to have had that in mind and tried to prolong the life of their windows using other methods than the toronto condos.

I have used a realtor to look at a few places in town but not this place and i talked to him yesterday told him about the situation and he understood that i had no obligation to him for a commission as i didnt sign a buyers agreement and he wasnt the procuring agent. overall great guy and if anyone is looking for a realtor PM me and i can give you his info

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:53 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
One more thing I forgot previously but just remembered - remember to check the construction of the curtain wall! You may recall a major story that came out of Toronto that many condos were being built with curtain wall systems not suited to climates with drastic and regular temperature swings. The result of those ill-suited construction / design choices was major risks / costs in the medium term that would be on the shoulders of the condo owners.

Here is an example of the numerous articles on the subject:
http://www.torontostandard.com/the-s...e-condom-inium

We had a discussion about this on the Calgary SSP threads, but I can't remember where exactly (likely in the primary construction thread). At that time, people did a pinch of poking around and confirmed which Calgary condos used the sub-par method (that could result in problems within ten years). That list will be important for you to look at!
Was it related to this?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=143090

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 9:21 PM

Hey guys - I'll be relocating back to Calgary soon. I've seen a lot of condos have popped up over the last couple of years and man have they got expensive. What I'm looking for is a solid built condo with decent finishings, ideally 800+ sq ft. It doesn't have to be inner city (but preferable), but I just want quality. Any thoughts on great buildings to look at?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation