HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 2:21 PM
Cambridgite

Tim Hortons loves horizontal sprawl. Starbucks loves vertical sprawl.

To those of you who don't like chains, all I can say to you is vote with your dollar. The best way to make a political statement about any corporation, no matter what your reason, is to simply not spend money there and let people know your reasons for not spending money there. Sound hard?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 2:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

Can you guys seriously chill out or simply ignore each other? All these bickering have made SSP:Local Hamilton a dreadful place to check out, as I know almost half of the discussion will be about non-sense bickering.

Go to your user CP section and place people on the ignore list.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Can you guys seriously chill out or simply ignore each other? All these bickering have made SSP:Local Hamilton a dreadful place to check out, as I know almost half of the discussion will be about non-sense bickering.

Go to your user CP section and place people on the ignore list.

how do you do that?? what is the CP section?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
To those of you who don't like chains, all I can say to you is vote with your dollar. The best way to make a political statement about any corporation, no matter what your reason, is to simply not spend money there and let people know your reasons for not spending money there. Sound hard?
Unfortunately that's just the sort of thing that gets you labelled an elitist around here.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Unfortunately that's just the sort of thing that gets you labelled an elitist around here.

yea, it's pretty funny. I post an article highlighting the decline of Starbucks 'pizzaz' and it turns into another battle on the board. Steeltown, I agree wholeheartedly with you that it gets tough to check these boards when certain individuals do nothing but come on to pick a fight.
I'll do my best to steer clear of the bickering, but I'm not going to stop posting relevant articles just because some people get their knickers in a knot.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
Tim Hortons loves horizontal sprawl. Starbucks loves vertical sprawl.

perfect point!! I visit Locke St a lot and will continue to give my dollar to Locke Street Bakery rather than Starbucks.

And good point, Steeltown. Every time I come on here it seems like I have to scroll through 4 or 5 posts b4 I actualy get to read one that has substance rather than non-sense bickering.

If you see a post by someone u know's going to cause trouble, ignore it. Or to be fair, read a line or two and if it seems like a personal attack, ignore it and DO NOT REPLY to it!! If we don't give these people any attention/fuel, they'll eventually give up.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

At the very top left corner you will see "User CP" click on it and you'll find an ignore list from there on the left side. Use the find function to search for "User CP"

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:58 PM
Cambridgite

I'm not attacking anyone. Just saying that there's no point in bickering about all these chains. If you don't like them, just don't go in. It's the best way of making them go away!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 5:53 PM
On Guard For Thee

RTH--there was nothing on my part to turn anything here into a battle. I am at a loss (and I think always will be at a loss) to fully understand your take on an issue like Starbucks opening on Locke. First off, you have this organization coming to Hamilton bringing investment dollars and jobs, moving into an urban neighborhood that is thriving and while they are here to make a profit (like all businesses), they will contribute to the dynamic of the neighborhood and will drive greater numbers of people into the area. Like it or not there are people who will visit Locke South just because there's a Starbucks--that is good for the whole neighborhood. I didn't see anyone here saying "hooray, Hamilton has arrived!" when it was announced that Starbucks was coming.

I don't believe you posted the article to be incendiary, nonetheless, you cannot throw out negative barbs on a topic and then stand around and plead innocent when some people with differing opinions weigh-in. Frankly it would be like me coming in here and saying "Wal*Mart has saved the world!" and then saying "geez, there are a lot of trouble makers here" when the barrage of posts came in response. If you want to disagree with posters--great; if you want to weigh in with good ideas, bad ideas, outlandish ideas--great. If you want to be the king of anti-establishment--that great too, just don't hide behind the crown.

I enjoy the discourse, so I won't be 'ignoring' anyone--though if there's a desire to make this a monologue as opposed to a debate, that might be a positive move to make.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 6:14 PM
Closed account

I don't think there will be too many people coming to Locke just because of Starbuck's. Like Tim's, it's the kind of place you pop into because it's there, rather than a destination. I do think though, that it will create a 'buzz' that could attract some interesting businesses, and attract people to the area as a whole. I won't be going there too often myself because I don't happen to like their coffee, but I think their presence will be a good thing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 6:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Just for the record I'm not suggesting people ignore others just because they disagree with a particular issue. In fact I happen to agree a lot with fastcar and think Starbucks coming to Locke St is fabulous.

Just at certain times in other threads there's these meaningless discussion that beings no substance at all, just pure bickering "I'm right and you’re wrong" back and forth over and over. For that crap I say knock it out and chill or simply ignore it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:37 PM
On Guard For Thee

Couldnt agree more SteelTown, and I appreciate the clarification.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:46 PM
Closed account

I agree Steeltown. People come on here way too often and say "I'm right" and then when asked to back up their claims with a tiny bit of proof or logic, turn the whole discussion into calling people "morons" and other nonsense. If you're going to say something with absolutely no basis or means of verifying it, then please shut-up.
Personal preferences and opinions are one thing, but to make claims simply as an attempt to stir up arguements is wasting all of our time.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 11:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I don't think there will be too many people coming to Locke just because of Starbuck's. Like Tim's, it's the kind of place you pop into because it's there, rather than a destination. I do think though, that it will create a 'buzz' that could attract some interesting businesses, and attract people to the area as a whole. I won't be going there too often myself because I don't happen to like their coffee, but I think their presence will be a good thing.
Exaclty!! I've said it before... Locke Street does not need Starbucks, Starbucks needs Locke Street!

People from the mountain wont come to Locke b/c there's a Starbucks, they could go to Upp James/Rymal. They're coming down to Locke for what Locke already is: a unique, trendy shopping destination!

And I agree, the "buzz" will definately attract more retailers to the area. Hopefully Dundurn South can benefit from this as well. Who knows, maybe 220Dundurn will finally be developped! Mmmm lofts...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 1:10 AM
Closed account

220 Dundurn is fast becoming the west side Lister Block.
Lofts would be awesome in there!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
STOP THE PRESS! BC Ted just came on here to disagree with me!
And of course, add nothing to yet another discussion.
Oh please. My first post after a brief hiatus had to do with suburbs or something, was completely innocent, and was not directed at anyone. You went out of your way to slam it.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:23 AM

Quote:
I agree Steeltown. People come on here way too often and say "I'm right" and then when asked to back up their claims with a tiny bit of proof or logic, turn the whole discussion into calling people "morons" and other nonsense. If you're going to say something with absolutely no basis or means of verifying it, then please shut-up.
Personal preferences and opinions are one thing, but to make claims simply as an attempt to stir up arguements is wasting all of our time.
I cannot tell if this post is a joke or not. The only person who I have ever seen use the word "morons" on here is you. The only person who is completely inflexible with matters of debate is you.

I have admitted to being a bit overly harsh with you at times. You almost make me want to retract such admissions.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 3:01 AM
Closed account

This Saturday the newest cafe on Locke opens.
The Courtyard is opening this weekend. I'm not sure of the hours, but plan on dropping by to find out.
Parisian-inspired crepes along with organic, fair trade coffee and I assume, tea.
The place looks great. Check it out.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 10:54 PM
Closed account

had a cappuccino today at The Courtyard. Beautiful little place. A little too 'little' actually. They have a suggestion box. I'm going to suggest 1 or 2 bistro sets out front in summer and an extra table or two inside.
Menu is cool though...all crepes and baked goods. very unique. coffee was awesome and place is really nice.
it says it's open till 8pm on Thursdays...so everyone head down and jam it full!! we need more of these cafes to stay open late on Locke instead of just Main Desserts.

Also, Starbucks banner is hanging from their building. If anyone cares. Lol.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
had a cappuccino today at The Courtyard. Beautiful little place. A little too 'little' actually. They have a suggestion box. I'm going to suggest 1 or 2 bistro sets out front in summer and an extra table or two inside.
Menu is cool though...all crepes and baked goods. very unique. coffee was awesome and place is really nice.
it says it's open till 8pm on Thursdays...so everyone head down and jam it full!! we need more of these cafes to stay open late on Locke instead of just Main Desserts.

Also, Starbucks banner is hanging from their building. If anyone cares. Lol.
Mmm, crêpes!!!

Most "little" places on Locke ARE little! haha But I think that's part of the charm.

Does anyone know what's going in that house reno beside Maddison Ave Spa?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues