HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 3:10 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Awesome videos! I love seeing anything retro of London.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 7:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Great finds. London Mall under construction. Wow.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 5:45 PM

Westmount Area at Night

Duplicate post; see following message in thread.

Last edited by Stevo26; Jan 4, 2012 at 2:07 AM. Reason: duplicate message

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 5:46 PM

Westmount Area at Night

Although this is really a test of my new iPhone 4S, I thought I would post a link to it anyway because it shows bits and pieces of the Westmount neighbourhood here in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CuVz...vuA1PJ2b4zOxbT" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 3:17 PM
User Registered

Unicycling Scout Trooper in London. That is all.

Video Link

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 5:27 PM

Strathroy video

Spotted this video on Youtube, used to promote Strathroy back in 1992. London Airport is seen in this video as well.

Video Link

The competition in London knows us, you should too!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:46 AM

Schmuel Farhi

Found this video related to railway redevelopment in St. Thomas, with King Farhi before he was King.

Video Link

I'd say this clip dates from about 1987. Janet Golding is still fairly active in the St. Thomas community.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:59 AM

London CN Tower demolition

Don't know if this has been posted before, but here's the complete video of the demolition of the old CN Tower in London from CFPL, from Februrary 2001...

Video Link

This was just seven months before 9/11. Kind of creepy in retrospect that the reporter calls the site "ground zero".

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Great finds manny!

The Strathroy promo video is a fantastic piece of retro cheese! It must have not been too successful in attracting business, becuase as far as I know much of the industrial park on the 402 is still empty. I also liked how it showed the airport. Anybody know what cities London Airport had flights to back then? The announcer mentioned major cities in Canada and the States, but I assumed that the airport just had flights to Pearson, or Detroit up until the expansion. I know Air Ontario was based here until they were taken over by Air Canada Jazz.

The CN Tower implosion was neat to see! Why exactly was it taken down? Were there structural problems? There's something about it I kinda like. It seemed like a half-decent modernist building, and what we have now is mediocre at best. Certainly looked like a better "box" than the nearby RBC building imo.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
^Great finds manny!

The Strathroy promo video is a fantastic piece of retro cheese! It must have not been too successful in attracting business, becuase as far as I know much of the industrial park on the 402 is still empty. I also liked how it showed the airport. Anybody know what cities London Airport had flights to back then? The announcer mentioned major cities in Canada and the States, but I assumed that the airport just had flights to Pearson, or Detroit up until the expansion. I know Air Ontario was based here until they were taken over by Air Canada Jazz.
If I remember correctly, YXU only had flights to Toronto and maybe once a day to Detroit. It was a very limited airport back then compared to today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
The CN Tower implosion was neat to see! Why exactly was it taken down? Were there structural problems? There's something about it I kinda like. It seemed like a half-decent modernist building, and what we have now is mediocre at best. Certainly looked like a better "box" than the nearby RBC building imo.
As I recall, a lot of it had to do with the 2001 Canada Summer Games. It was felt (rightly) that the old VIA station was cramped and outdated, and that a new station was needed. VIA decided to stay on the same site instead of moving, so the old tower was demolished to make way for the new station that was supposed to be completed in time for the 2001 Summer Games.

The building had basically been abandoned (except for the VIA station on part of the ground floor) since the late 80s or early 90s. As I recall after One London Place was built, there was a large surplus of office space, and nobody wanted the CN building.

I was last in the building in 1999, and it seemed very run down and dated - even though it was only 24 years old.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:02 AM
User Registered

Another reason was because CN drastically reduced their workforce in the 1990's if I recall correctly. Offices were consolidated and the London one bit the dust.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The building had basically been abandoned (except for the VIA station on part of the ground floor) since the late 80s or early 90s. As I recall after One London Place was built, there was a large surplus of office space, and nobody wanted the CN building.

I was last in the building in 1999, and it seemed very run down and dated - even though it was only 24 years old.
CN basically abandoned their building after large regional HQ's were no longer required - technology allowed a large corporation to run most of it's operations out of a handfull of national offices. A lot of companies pulled up stakes from Ontario regional centres in the 90's and retreated to Toronto. The building was outdated and full of asbestos - so no one wanted to lease the space when the Talbot Centre and OLP came online. Gutting the building and pulling out the asbestos and then rebuilding the interior wasn't economically realistic. Easier to pay for 70 pounds of explosives once the asbestos was stripped out and build a nice station for the Canada Games.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 7:01 AM

That was a great vid of Strathroy and it was neat seeing my old highschool SDCI. They demolished it except a small bit that was left as a seniors assisted living centre. They rebuilt a brand new one way up by the 402 and what was once a centrally located school is now on the outside of town close to nothing and most kids in Strathroy are now bussed in. It was a make-work project by the Board of Education if ever I saw one and was a waste of money.

Interesting about the CN Tower........I always wondered why they demolished the thing only to put up a Taco Bell remake.

Love those vids, keep em coming.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Easier to pay for 70 pounds of explosives once the asbestos was stripped out and build a nice station for the Canada Games.
I'm sorry, did you say nice station? The VIA station is hideous.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I'm sorry, did you say nice station? The VIA station is hideous.
I actually like London's VIA station. The waiting area is a lot nicer than Toronto's Union Station, although that is under renovation.

That said, my favourite railway station in Southwestern Ontario is Stratford. Back when there were several trains running through there per day, you could still buy tickets there. Nice step back in time.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
That was a great vid of Strathroy and it was neat seeing my old highschool SDCI. They demolished it except a small bit that was left as a seniors assisted living centre. They rebuilt a brand new one way up by the 402 and what was once a centrally located school is now on the outside of town close to nothing and most kids in Strathroy are now bussed in. It was a make-work project by the Board of Education if ever I saw one and was a waste of money.
The building of a new high school in Strathroy was because a new Catholic high school was desperately needed. When I started at St. Thomas Aquinas in London in 2000, we had 21 portables, and about a quarter of the students were bussed in from outside the city. Some came from Delaware, but a large number came from Strathroy and even Parkhill. One friend of mine lived west of Strathroy, closer to Sarnia than London, and he had to catch a bus at 6:00 am every morning, and he didn't get home until 4:00pm.

The Thames Valley school board, as I recall, made a deal with the Catholic board to build a joint high school. A new high school was needed anyways for the Catholic board. As I recall the old SDCI had asbestos and renovation was considered too expensive compared to the opportunity they had partnering with the Catholic board.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 6:13 AM

I never knew that about the Catholic Board.

That said I still don't think they should have built a new SDCI. The first thing they should have done was to build a new high school in Mt,Brydges. It would catch all the students from Kom/Del/MtB/Cam which is a lot of students. It would have made their life a lot easier and would have taken a huge chunk of the stress off SDCI.

That combined with getting rid of grade 12 would have given SDCI the time it needed to slowly tear down the old sections of the school and built new wings. Much of that school was built post 1967 and some didn't finish til 1974 and they even kept that portion for the extended care for seniors.

Anyother thing is the incredibly stupid location. SDCI is now in the middle of no where and nearly the whole Strathroy student body has to get bussed in.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Anyother thing is the incredibly stupid location. SDCI is now in the middle of no where and nearly the whole Strathroy student body has to get bussed in.
Oh, I agree with that. Seems like the fad right now is to build things as far away from customers (or in this case, students) as possible. It's the Big Box mentality.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Oh, I agree with that. Seems like the fad right now is to build things as far away from customers (or in this case, students) as possible. It's the Big Box mentality.
The land is much, much cheaper. I've even seen new high schools (and churches/mosques as well) built in underused industrial areas far from residential areas.

A portion of the citizenry and the conservative portion of the media want government to operate more like business: bottom line trumps customer service. Well, here you go, welcome to the future.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 7:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I appreciate the local history lessons. Great finds. The competition in London knows us...you should too!

Here SA-V links thematically to the destruction depicted in the CN building's final moments:
Video Link
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos