HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 6:01 PM
Beefeater

Not in office a month and new tax proposed

Fontana is considering a new tax for economic development. Its unclear exactly how this would impact taxes, I suppose if they were able to cut the existing budget enough they could use the extra cash for this, but it would likely require an increase in property tax.
Now I'm not opposed to the idea of funding development but I'm just shocked that Joe could be considering back out on his key campaign promise so quickly.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 8:07 PM

Typical of politics. However I heard on AM980 this morning that Kitchener (or maybe it was all of Waterloo Region) had a similar tax levied back in 2002.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 9:29 PM

From a strictly technical point of view, Fontana said he would freeze property & water/sewer taxes. I don't believe he made any pledge regarding new taxes

From that promise one would assume it wouldn't include new taxes to make up the difference. But I guess Joe looked at the books and decided otherwise and make us think twice before assuming again. A very typical Liberal move!

From what I hear he has a bloc of 8 councilors that are on-board with him and his agenda soo looks like well be seeing his economic development soon.

Last edited by Pimpmasterdac; Dec 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 11:01 PM
User Registered

I won't believe it until I see it.

Joe will probably take this needed money from cut backs from other programs.

Don't believe this for a second, folks. It's too early to tell. It makes good press though.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 4:31 PM
Beefeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Typical of politics. However I heard on AM980 this morning that Kitchener (or maybe it was all of Waterloo Region) had a similar tax levied back in 2002.
Yeah they mentioned that in the article I was reading in the Free Press. In Kitchener its something like 1% of your property tax and they have raised over 100 million for the fund.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 4:34 PM
Beefeater

The article said there was no opposition to the idea on council. When Joe was pressed for where the money would come from for the fund he said that initially it wouldn't require a tax increase that instead they would look to sell city assets to raise the cash. Unfortunately London will not get special taxing powers like Toronto so if this proceeds it will eventually come out of our property taxes.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 6:17 PM

Here's a few kernels of info on this idea:

London's CAO is Jeff Fielding. Very good at what he does and London is lucky to have him. Prior to working at the City of London, he was CAO for the City of Kitchener. While he was there, he and others developed Kitchener's economic development fund system - and then convinced the council of the day to authorize the plan. I think everyone can connect the dots here with what's going on with such a proposal in London right now. The fact that the LFP didn't pick up on this is representative of the poor quality of journalism seen in newspapers these days.

Kitchener's scheme is funded through a special levy of a little over 1% of the overall annual property tax intake - and is tacked on top of the existing tax increase. It is not part of the nominal tax intake, goes straight into the economic development fund, and the fund cannot support anything other that economic development projects approved by council. It's a war chest.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 2:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Anne Marie DeC-B was pretty critical of his idea. She will not go quietly into that good night.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:06 PM
Beefeater

Anne Marie's guide to campaigning

1) Make sure everyone knows you have been around for a while

2) Show all of the countless lists on which London ranks 9th, 10th, or 11th in Canada with pride.

3) Tell the voters that you are so good at your job there is no point in reviewing spending policies as the city is running at maximum efficiency.

Follow this guide and you cannot lose.... opps

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

4) Marry a lush

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:20 PM
Beefeater

hahaha forgot about that golden nugget.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation