HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 5:05 PM
not a NIMBY

Crime in Calgary

I couldn't find a thread on crime, perhaps that indicates how little crime impacts most people in Calgary?

Edmonton and Calgary in 2011

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 8:15 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

From the article: "The discovery of a body in northeast Edmonton Thursday morning led police there to declare another homicide, the city’s 17th such occurrence this year. That tally sits just one shy of Toronto for the nation’s highest murder rate."

Complete misunderstanding of "rate" here. Edmonton has roughly TRIPLE the murder rate of Toronto. The author confuses "number" and "rate" and writes something completely false.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 9:51 PM
not a NIMBY

Thanks Rusty, you're right and thanks for pointing that out.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 7:51 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I couldn't find a thread on crime, perhaps that indicates how little crime impacts most people in Calgary?
Bingo. Having satellite TV and all the out-of-city broadcasts just reinforces my opinion. Calgary news really has to search far and wide for regular crime coverage.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 2:14 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Bingo. Having satellite TV and all the out-of-city broadcasts just reinforces my opinion. Calgary news really has to search far and wide for regular crime coverage.
Does anyone have the up to date comparison between the two cities?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 6:45 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocle View Post
Does anyone have the up to date comparison between the two cities?
Last I heard Edmonton has 30+ murders this year, Calgary has 3.

No other recent stats though.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 7:03 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

I don't think Edmonton's murder rate is abnormally high, the bigger story is that Calgary's is abnormally low.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the deportation of Jackie Tran.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 12:54 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Edmonton's rate is absolutely and indubitably "abnormally high." Shockingly high.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 9:46 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Edmonton's rate is absolutely and indubitably "abnormally high." Shockingly high.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/20...-18490076.html

According to this article, based on absolute numbers, Calgary has had similiar numbers of murders in recent years to Edmonton's current number. I can't recall a year when Calgary has had so few murders as this year, whereas Edmonton typically has around the current number.

Last edited by Aegis; Aug 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 10:04 PM

result of the recent "crack down" on gangs in Calgary?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 10:15 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Found this interesting interactive murder location graphic for Calgary too.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...map/index.html

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 10:22 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersdozen View Post
result of the recent "crack down" on gangs in Calgary?
I think that might have something to do with it. Obviously it's a complex issue, but, over half of the murders last year in Calgary were gang-related. I don't think our social system and justice system have the right tools to deal with organized crime.

We should be investing in more social infrastructure to prevent the conditions that allow gangs to form. IE: more social workers, quality and accessible education, and effective programs to help the social workers do their jobs.

But with regard to justice, we need to be going hard on the senior leaders of the gangs that are responsible for all this carnage. None of this multiple-time credit stuff for time served, so they can be out on the street again to intimidate witnesses and victims.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 1:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post

According to this article, based on absolute numbers, Calgary has had similiar numbers of murders in recent years to Edmonton's current number. I can't recall a year when Calgary has had so few murders as this year, whereas Edmonton typically has around the current number.
You are incorrect. Specifically, the article states:
Quote:
In 2007, the city tallied 32 homicides, several during a violent crime wave in the summer when police were forced to call investigators back from their vacations. In 2008, Calgary recorded 34 killings, 15 that were gang-related. But that number has decreased, with 25 tallied in 2009
Those were for ENTIRE years - whereas Edmonton's HALF YEAR total was already above where Calgary was for all of 2009. Edmonton was already up to 32 by end of July - at which clip our smaller sister city to the North could hit 55 for the year! Calgary, a larger city, has NEVER had such a high murder clip and thus the speculation about what Calgary did to lower its rate from where Edmonton's rate currently is, is based on false assumption.

The following excerpt from the article is more telling:
Quote:
"Demographically, they are two worlds -- Edmonton does not add up to Calgary demographically," he said.
"There are more homeless people, more issues with mental health."
Edmonton is a resource-driven, blue collar city with fewer highly educated people, many whose jobs are "fixing things" in the oilpatch compared to leading it, he said.
"The real leaders in the oil and gas industry are in high towers in Calgary -- and people in there don't commit murder," he said.
He also said more Edmontonians carry knives

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:32 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Found this interesting interactive murder location graphic for Calgary too.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...map/index.html
They should show where the murderers actually live in a separate map.......it would be interesting. Im not saying it would be any different, but just wondering.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 6:02 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
They should show where the murderers actually live in a separate map.......it would be interesting. Im not saying it would be any different, but just wondering.
Also those numbers would be more useful per capita.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 6:38 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
I think that might have something to do with it. Obviously it's a complex issue, but, over half of the murders last year in Calgary were gang-related. I don't think our social system and justice system have the right tools to deal with organized crime.

We should be investing in more social infrastructure to prevent the conditions that allow gangs to form. IE: more social workers, quality and accessible education, and effective programs to help the social workers do their jobs.

But with regard to justice, we need to be going hard on the senior leaders of the gangs that are responsible for all this carnage. None of this multiple-time credit stuff for time served, so they can be out on the street again to intimidate witnesses and victims.
I strongly agree with the education component. I think the government is dropping the ball, especially in consideration of the THIRTY deaths of Somali men who have died violently. Education I believe is so incredibly important so that everyone is contributing to the greater good of a community. Also, I strongly agree with the direction of Rick Hansen chief of police regarding having a secure treatment facility.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:

I've posted this in other threads here:

This statscan chart shows how Calgary historically has a much lower murder rate than Edmonton. The past few years were a huge anomaly led by the boom bringing in transients, and gangs. And now we're getting back to normal.

Remember, with a murder rate as low as Calgary typically has, all it takes is one "bad" month (say 5 murders) to bring us back to "average".

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I've posted this in other threads here:

This statscan chart shows how Calgary historically has a much lower murder rate than Edmonton. The past few years were a huge anomaly led by the boom bringing in transients, and gangs. And now we're getting back to normal.

Remember, with a murder rate as low as Calgary typically has, all it takes is one "bad" month (say 5 murders) to bring us back to "average".
So to put Edmonton's current rate in perspective, looking at it annualized it would be 55/1,000,000, meaning 5.5 on that chart. A league of its own.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
So to put Edmonton's current rate in perspective, looking at it annualized it would be 55/1,000,000, meaning 5.5 on that chart. A league of its own.
Yup. And Calgary's would be 0.5 or so. Meaning this year Edmonton is abnormally high, and Calgary is abnormally low.

But again, with numbers so small it doesn't take much to skew well above or below an average. It's not like hundreds of extra (fewer) people are being murdered.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:21 PM
Here and There

Was walking down stephen ave with a friend near closing time at the bars. We may need some additional police down there just standing by......the youngins were literally trashing the downtown as they walked down stephen. It was kind of appauling.....puncing buidling, kicking doors, throwing rocks at parked cars. The police definately had their work cut out for them. Sometimes I really wish that we had a bunch of 21 or 25 and over places to go in this City.........

I think having police parked on each street at closing time would make the situation better.......maybe?

I realize that the youngins need to have fun too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy