HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 11:47 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Orlando, I think it'd be foolish to answer your question without any context. I wouldn't be surprised if you get some thoughtless answers, especially in other forums, where people say they love it or hate it, but they're meaningless responses without context.

"Would you like this building in Portland?" No context. Where in Portland? The where changes everything.

...in South Waterfront? Probably a yes.
...in the Pearl? Probably a yes, though the wacky awnings need work.
...in downtown? Probably a yes, but the wacky awnings need to go.
...in industrial SE? Probably not, but it would really depend on the exact location.

None of this should suggest that I like the building. There are parts I like and parts I loath... but in the right location, it could be great. Or terrible. It all comes down to the location.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:08 AM

Point towers should have no height limit. The 2035 plan seems to have a 325' cap in most areas with a max of 460' in certain/limited areas.

This district (industrial) has no limit, correct? With the Park Office and the Riverscape area slowly filling in - this area has untapped potential:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 2:18 AM

The vague renderings of the James Beard market gave you an idea of the shapes they're using for the apartment towers that surround the office tower.

The Oslo government HQ proposals, which Snøhetta are involved with, produced this:

Familiar?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 12:33 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Familiar?
No, not really. These are quartz-like, crystalline forms. The glimpses we saw of the James Beard towers were more swooping, sail-like forms with lots of balconies.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 7:24 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Orlando, I think it'd be foolish to answer your question without any context. I wouldn't be surprised if you get some thoughtless answers, especially in other forums, where people say they love it or hate it, but they're meaningless responses without context.

"Would you like this building in Portland?" No context. Where in Portland? The where changes everything.
Well, the problem with plopping down a building design in random locations is that there is no context to that design. Any design should be responding to some sort of context, where that context relates to the place in some manner.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:34 AM

So many murals popped up all over downtown this summer.

IMO the best ones happen to be on the same block - across the street from ZGF's 12 West.

Then I remembered that this block is where 11-West is planned. Did that ever get past the concept stage?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:04 PM

carport permits in Portland, oregon

i've looked over local regulations for non permitted buildings in my area and a 10'x20' carport is permitted. There is however little information beyond that point. I know I can install a plastic enclosure with a top and 4 sides for that space with no questions asked. Would putting walls around a 10'x20' permanent carport require a permit? It doesn't sound like that's the case but as I say, there's little information available online.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:29 PM

The exclusion is the same with or without walls. However, that is for a building permit for the structure only. It appears that you still need to get a zoning permit and have to follow all land use requirements for set-backs and allowed uses etc... and pay the associated fees. You'll also need a permit for any wiring or plumbing if there is any.

See BDS Guidelines from the City of Portland (PDF)
www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/92685

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 4:04 AM

Walking around downtown....

*With a lot of the older buildings planning/completed streetlevel renovations - why doesn't this happen to the Waterfront Marriott? In reality, this eyesore needs an entire re-cladding.

*The new courthouse location will have the biggest impact on the skyline IMO. What is the planned height?

*The streetkids/homeless are as aggressive as ever. Camping on sidewalks shouldn't be ok. My cousin from Minneapolis remembers this more than anything about Portland - "they travel in packs and set up tents anywhere they please!".

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 11:35 PM

The Thunderbird site, owned by Paul Allen iirc, is the most 'prime' lot in the city - sits empty. Waterfront location with the unbeatable city views. Pondering where the next 'Cosmopolitan Condo' project could be, there isn't a better location than here.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 3:54 AM

Looking at the pipeline of projects and walking around downtown one thing is becoming clear: the vast majority of projects are heavily stucco or brick - moving away from glass-heavy designs.

Nothing is wrong with that if the designs are decent but they're all starting to blend. Nothing really stands out considering they're mostly slabs. At least North Williams Ave. is keeping things interesting.

PDC wants 'blending' when they should look at 'contrasting'. In fact, the landscape architect of the old town chinese gardens suggested that future development around this block should be tall modern towers to provide contrast.

/rant

Last edited by Sioux612; Sep 17, 2016 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 6:27 AM

"PDC wants 'blending' when they should look at 'contrasting'. In fact, the landscape architect of the old town chinese gardens suggested that future development around this block should be tall modern towers to provide contrast."

I was living in Portland at the time the Gardens were being constructed and completed. I remember the Chinese Architect stating the 'contrasting' philosophy. As the years past I have often wondered why the 'powers of Portland Urban Planning' have not embraced, or publicly discussed, his ideas for the Old Town District. Thanks, Sioux612, for mentioning this.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 8:00 AM

Super random, but I just had a dream and I had to share. In this dream, Beaverton had amassed a nice collection of 15-25 story buildings centered around the Central MAX stop (lots of empty lots there) and it was a nice vibrant, almost "new", core for Beaverton.

My question is, when will one of Portland's suburbs see a legitimate high rise (if ever), and which suburb do you think it will be? I know Vancouver has a lot of big ideas, but I don't think they have any ~20+ story, ~200ish' buildings in the pipeline. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new high rise apartment proposed there in the near future.

Also, the 76 station on Burnside next to Big Pink. Is that station too profitable to close? With projects in Old Town starting to heat up, I see this as one of the biggest blights in the area with the lowest chance of being changed anytime soon. Thoughts?

Also, props to Macco. You do a ton of good work for SSP Portland. I know we may not always comment, but I guarantee you we, or at least I, read every single update.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Also, the 76 station on Burnside next to Big Pink. Is that station too profitable to close? With projects in Old Town starting to heat up, I see this as one of the biggest blights in the area with the lowest chance of being changed anytime soon. Thoughts?
If I had to guess that station does about 1-3 million gallons a year with a margin of maybe 25 cents a gallon. Conveniece and parking revenue probably isn't that much either. In other words, there is no way the cash stream from that station is in any way procluding conversion of that lot to a skyscraper.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 4:09 AM

Walking around the city - Burnside ought to have its own development thread.

IMO it feels so much different than Lloyd/CES.

'Burnside Development' -- anyone else feel the same?

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 12:21 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Walking around the city - Burnside ought to have its own development thread.

IMO it feels so much different than Lloyd/CES.

'Burnside Development' -- anyone else feel the same?
Its kind of becoming its own micro neighborhood, just like what is going on around Morrison on the eastside.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:44 AM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:50 PM

VERY interesting interview with author Amanda Kolson Hurley regarding her book Welcome to Your World: How the Built Environment Shapes Our Lives. An excerpt from the interview:

"Architects tend, particularly with parametric design, to emphasize overall aggregate form, and all that other stuff gets filled in later. And then, very often, it’s value-engineered out. That’s what’s creating a lot of the impoverishment in the environment. To have “sticky” places—places that engage you, your sensory system, your motor system, [and] help you create a sense of identification with [them]—you have to have all those things, and most buildings don’t."

Read the whole interview here:

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/...ecture/531810/

I will be adding this to the growing stack of books I need to read but don't have the time for...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:39 AM

I don't think Portland has ever had a mayor as great as the Honorable Mayor Katz. She is much loved, and very much missed.

Vera Katz, former Portland mayor, dies at 84
Updated 5:37 PM; Posted 10:15 AM
By The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...2box_targeted_

Quote:
Vera Katz, who broke gender barriers as the first woman to become Oregon's House speaker, deploying a tough-but-tender political style to also win three terms as Portland mayor, has died at 84.

She died at home in bed around 4 a.m., her son Jesse Katz said.

"It was as tranquil a setting as you could imagine," he said.

The family decided to begin hospice care for Katz after she was diagnosed with leukemia last weekend. The leukemia was the third cancer diagnosis that plagued the political powerhouse.
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:00 PM
obit anus, abit onus

When I was in high school, I joined a walkout to protest cuts to the education budget. We marched loudly through the streets and into City Hall, most of us probably dressed in red and black, trying our best to appear angry and intimidating. The staff and security seemed confused and uncomfortable. Then suddenly Vera Katz appeared, thanking us for our interest and launching right into an explanation of the budget process with such informality and confidence that we stopped chanting slogans and listened to her.

I wasn't very satisfied with what she said (it was to the effect that the city couldn't do much more to fund schools because of the way its revenues were earmarked for other things), but I still marvel that she didn't seem the least bit flustered to be lecturing a hostile audience of teenage anarchists about the city budget. First politician who ever impressed me. Classy lady. Sorry she's gone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues