cities|transit|croissants

Eurotrip, Part 1: Outer Paris + Versailles

Eurotrip Part 1
Outer Paris
Paris:
Outer Paris | Central Paris | Eiffel Tower | Paris Transportation
Amsterdam: Urbanism | Transportation
Bonus: TBD

Back in March I visited Europe for the first time. My wife and I spent about a week in Paris, plus a couple of extra days in Amsterdam. In this thread you'll see some of Paris' outer & middle neighborhoods, plus a couple of suburbs. The more central part will be the next thread, followed by one focusing on transportation infrastructure. Unless I change my mind.

Ready? Let's go.

We arrived in the afternoon and went straight for our airbnb, a nice walkup apartment in the 18th Arrondissment, near Sacré-Coeur on the extreme north end of Paris. Here's our view, looking up Rue du Mont Cenis:

This is the area around Boulevard Ornano, Rue Ordener, and Place Jules Joffrin. Here's a map. I think the neighborhood is called Jules Joffrin, although I'm not super sure. It's near the Montmartre neighborhood, but I don't think it's really part of that. Place Jules Joffrin itself is a little square in front of Paris' equivalent of a borough hall for the 18th Arrondissment, and seems like the center of the neighborhood.

Other streets both big and small radiate out from the square and form a web, in no discernible pattern.

I found these very interesting and unique, though not as attractive as Paris' more vernacular buildings.

Although larger boulevards appear more important on the map (and I'm sure are more important for some things), the main commercial main street for the neighborhood is the narrow Rue du Poteau:

The neighborhood quiets down at night, except along the big boulevards.

The reason we stayed in this particular part of town was Les Puces, a roughly 1/2 square-mile area right outside the city limits in the suburb of Saint-Ouen that's probably the biggest flea market in the western world. I like cities, my wife likes markets; see them both and we're both happy. Les Puces are not a single market, but rather are several markets that have clustered in the same neighborhood. Some of them are inside, some of them are outside.

Look at the number of stalls in this *one* market. There are maybe a dozen separate big markets, plus other shops & stalls between, and street vendors.

Saint-Ouen is technically a suburb, but you wouldn't call it that by American standards. It's still totally urban, walkable, and dense. But compared to central Paris it's visibly sparser and less wealthy.

Now let's pick up and move from the north end of Paris to its east side, starting in the 12th Arrondissment around the Bastille neighborhood. Bastille is where the infamous Bastille prison was, but it was demolished centuries ago. Now the only sign of it is a large monument.

I ran into la coulée verte, a sort of Parisian version of the high line. It's an old elevated railroad now turned into a park.

Moving southwest along Rue de Lyon, one approaches Gare de Lyon, one of Paris' largest train stations. I'll cover the station itself in a later thread, but here's the neighborhood.

This little side street almost looks like it could be American. The pastel rowhouses would look at home in some US cities, but even among those cities few have such narrow streets.

A little bit further out, in the 20th Arrondissment, is the Père Lachaise Cemetery. We visited this because my wife wanted to see some authors buried there, but it's gorgeous.

This is Oscar Wilde's tomb. Note all the lipstick marks.

That is some good nest-building material, crow.

The neighborhood around the cemetery. Not sure of its name.

Moving on to another suburb for a quick stop in tiny Saint-Mandé, just barely outside the Paris city limits to the east. I didn't realize it was a suburb until I looked it up later. We went for a street market specializing in ephemera, my wife's favorite topic.

The next suburb to the east is Vincennes:

Vincennes is home to one of France's more famous castles, Château de Vincennes. It dates partially to the 14th and partially to the 17th centuries.

At 170 feet tall, it's the tallest medieval fortress in Europe.

click for full-size

Finally, I took the train out to Versailles, the grand palace of the French monarchy. It's about 10 miles southwest of the center of Paris.

First, a quick look at the adorable town.

The main event is of course the palace.

click for full-size

Entering the palace, you think it's beautiful.

But every room you enter is better than the last.

Yes, this is gold wall paper. One can understand why the peasantry revolted.

Marie Antoinette's bedroom.

But as impressive as the palace is, for me the garden was the greater highlight.

This place is simultaneously grandiose beyond belief and intensely intimate. There are these huge, sweeping vistas that go on for literally miles, filled with world class sculptures and fountains, but off to the side amid the trees there are a series of little outdoor rooms and walkways, each one lovely and comfortable and personal.

click for full-size

Near the palace it's very formal. Fountains and statues are everywhere.

Unfortunately for me, the fountains weren't on yet.

The palace back door:

A couple of the many outdoor rooms:

For all Paris' urban beauty, which I love, this plain walkway was where I had my most emotional reaction of the trip. It was late in the day, overcast, and chilly. The only sound was wind blowing. I'd just left the extravagance of the palace, and walked a half mile or so, deep into the gardens. Most of the crowds were long gone. My wife and I had separated that day to see different things, so I was alone.

And walking down this path, I felt like the only person in the world. As if all this was there just for me. It was sublime, and melancholy to know I won't be back for years, if at all. It was perfect.

In the next thread, I'll show you more of Paris' central city.

Last edited by Cirrus; Jul 6, 2014 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 6:24 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Thank you not only for the beautiful photography, but also for the narration. Places like Versailles were literally designed and built to make you feel something--glad you did, and glad you shared.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 12:18 PM

..Merci beaucoup.......WOW you did great!!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 2:07 PM

The gardens are truly magnifique! I was there in the summer of '99 and they're probably my favorite experience from my time in & around Paris.

Nice to see the tour & narration of some of the suburbs!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:19 AM

Sweet tour. Looking forward to the next one.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 3:25 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Yeah, the Gardens did me in too. I was just impressed how intimate a massive sprawling garden could be.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:39 AM

Quote:
For all Paris' urban beauty, which I love, this plain walkway was where I had my most emotional reaction of the trip. It was late in the day, overcast, and chilly. The only sound was wind blowing. I'd just left the extravagance of the palace, and walked a half mile or so, deep into the gardens. Most of the crowds were long gone. My wife and I had separated that day to see different things, so I was alone.

And walking down this path, I felt like the only person in the world. As if all this was there just for me. It was sublime, and melancholy to know I won't be back for years, if at all. It was perfect.
Perfect indeed. Great pictures and commentary and i know exactly that sentiment you describe, I felt it in Pompeii on the last day of my European trip. 'Sublime' is the right word, i can't wait to go back and I most definitely will visit Versailles.

Eagerly awaiting your transportation thread too, European trains are something else.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:42 AM

Nice pictures! Looking forward to the other threads!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 5:23 AM

This is something personal to you from the US. I kinda know the US. I know people over there.

I'll give you my personal insight, while I was raised in those western outer burbs. Versailles is a fun place mainly for its gardens, as you seemingly could sense it. If you were there on a sunny day, you could take your lovely wife for a fun romantic ride on their pools. You just rent a small boat for an hour (that's actually not too expensive), then you have to row for her. And that's precisely what's both funny and romantic. She watches you rowing and sweating for her in those strictly, carefully planned gardens.

That's just funny when I think about it.

You made it look even better than it actually is to me in your pictures anyway, because you're from over there.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 9:07 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Totally agree about Versailles, Cirrus. I liked the palace, but it felt so good after the tour getting to the gardens. Our group was there on a sunny morning; it's something I'll never forget.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 1:44 PM

great pics... looking forward to the next batch!!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 7:19 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Awesome pictures, Cirrus! Thanks for sharing.

I see your first visit to Europe, and specifically to Paris, was absolutely satisfactory. Very nice thread and beautiful shots. Paris and Versailles were very well captured by your eye.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 9:45 PM

Great thread!

You had an awesome view from your hotel to start with. And I agree, the narration with your pictures really makes us as viewers share in your experiences even more!

Eagerly awaiting your other threads!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:58 PM

Superb tour!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 1:55 AM
designer&stuff

Merci! I'm looking forward to your future posts from Paris.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:28 PM

Another lovely thread, you made me feel like I was there. Thanks again for the great tour!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos